Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Brer Oswald

These CM’s who go the extra mile are what “Disney Magic” is all about, not some executive sitting in a room with no idea of what is going on in the outside world only their bottom line for themselves and their shareholder. If Disney continues to go down this very bad road (high prices with nothing for the guest) I feel it will not be pretty. Those CM’s are the backbone of Disney’s success with their theme parks. That extra “kindness” that we have all either seen or experienced at Disney. That can bring a smile or a tears to you eyes.
2020 has been one of the worst managed years in the more recent history of the Disney Parks. Yes, I’m aware that a lot of circumstances were out of their control, but the way they went about various decisions was just very damaging for the company’s finances and especially their reputation.

Most worrisome, as you have stated, has been making their cuts “Guest Service heavy”. Not only have they lost thousands of people vital to justifying their premium prices, but have also discouraged many future employees that wanted to go into these positions.

The severe lack of understanding management has in “the Disney Difference” is apparent, and if it didn’t bite them in the last 10 years, it will very soon.

Lilofan

Call Verizon and ask about their new deal.
That's the trick I do every year to get cheaper deals on services. Ask to speak to the retention dept and say you are a loyal customer thinking about looking at other options. I've used it on my cell phone plan, XM radio, TV provider, landscaping and termite plans, etc. If the first retention person I speak with can't lower my rate then I call back again in a few days and speak with another retention person on the line. It works to my advantage and more money stays in my pocket. Back to regularly scheduled programming.

Brer Panther

Look, just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean you should post about it non-stop. I don't randomly bring up how I like the retheme all the time.
I'm hardly the only person on this site who's ben posting about the retheme so much. And while you don't randomly bring up how much you like the retheme all the time, you do have a habit of arguing with folks who don't want the retheme.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm hardly the only person on this site who's ben posting about the retheme so much. And while you don't randomly bring up how much you like the retheme all the time, you do have a habit of arguing with folks who don't want the retheme.
Usually when people make baseless accusations that are tantamount to lying... see here:

seascape

I have zero interest in Hulu and even less in ESPN.
I understand about ESPN+ but Hulu has both Deadpool movies and has some great TV shows. Plus Hulu, Disney+ and free services like Pluto and Peacock eliminate the need for paying for the TV portion of cable TV. In fact you don't even need the landline and you can even stream directly from your cell phone to your smart TV so your entire cell phone, internet and TV bill could be just your cell phone bill. Think of how much you can save.

Disstevefan1

We just spent 5 days at Universal and it was packed! They really did a great job with balancing entertainment and social distancing. Universal hotels are far superior to Disney with a much better price point. We stayed in a two room suite at Endless Summer for less than a regular room at Pop Century...a lot less. I expected it to be terrible, but it was an awesome little hotel with a nice look, a gym, Starbucks, and great transportation. We didn't do any Disney parks, but we had dinner at House of Blues on Wednesday night. Disney Springs was a ghost town especially compared to City Walk. Of course, that is purely anecdotal.

Also, Hagrid's is our new favorite ride. They knocked it out if the park with that one.
Totally agree about the Universal resorts. They prove you can build high quality suites and charge less than the “value” resorts at Disney. It’s good that this brings to light Disney’s “provide less but charge more” mentality that they have been pushing for years..

Disstevefan1

Too bad not enough Disney fans see that and just accept it.
I agree, there WDW fans that simply will not even look UNI’s way. But it’s looking like COVID may help some folks who did not normally go to UNI, experience it and after this thing is over, I think UNI will pick up fans.

Should WDW be worried? They should now worry about Universal, they should worry about getting their own house in order instead of looking over their shoulder..

Jrb1979

I agree, there WDW fans that simply will not even look UNI’s way. But it’s looking like COVID may help some folks who did not normally go to UNI, experience it and after this thing is over, I think UNI will pick up fans.

Should WDW be worried? They should now worry about Universal, they should worry about getting their own house in order instead of looking over their shoulder..
That's been going on for awhile now. Disney is trying to get as much money from people while cutting as much as they can.

crispy

Admins should create a Disney Sucks forum. 🙄
No one says it sucks, but it has issues. Pretending it doesn't is part of the reason the parks are in the mess they are in right now. For years, no one could compete with Disney parks, but the gap has closed considerably due to Disney's hubris and other parks stepping up their game. If I had attempted the same trip to Disney that I just took to Universal, I would have spent thousands more. It just isn't worth it, and pointing that out doesn't make me a hater.

seascape

How do you stream from your phone to your tv?
Not too much but I do it when I go to my Florida Condo because I don't have cable or internet there. I do expect that to change when 5G is fully available. I have 3 homes, 2 that I use all the time so I will save quite a bit with 5G cell phone and streaming to TVs.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Since March, The Walt Disney Company has understandably been under a pretty tight hiring freeze. If you've been keeping an eye on the Disney Careers site throughout the pandemic, it's been pretty thin - but that of course doesn't mean there's a total lack of job postings... even in the wake of 30k+ announced layoffs. You expect to still see the occasional posting to fill an essential position, or bring talent into key teams relevant to streaming and production.

On Wednesday, the same day additional cuts were announced across the company, there was a rare block of domestic Parks, Experiences, and Products opportunities posted for Orlando and California:

View attachment 515898

From the posting for "Digital Employee Communications Manager":

It would seem that the "Employee Culture and Connections" team of P&R is very essential, and that there will be increasing focus on cultivating the kind of social media feeds we've come to associate with key figures in the company.

All tech related...pretty standard hiring practices these days

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom