Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Robbiem

I do feel sorry for all the people loosing their jobs and hope they will be ok but the main thing is to stay alive. I know its easy for someone with a job to say that but know people who have died from the virus and i know their families would rather have them here with no job than collecting their insurance.

the ways companies behave in these situations is disgusting at times Disney have lived down to this. I know a person who killed them self on their last day of employment so their family got his death in service pay, I just hope anyone with thoughts like that please get help, permanent solutions to temporary problems are Never the right thing to do.

As for the politicians they are the same. No one in a large western country has managed things well. Yes New Zealand has been good but its a small country of isolated communities not a large nation. The UK, France, Germany, Italy, Japan etc have been terrible, no matter who is in charge the virus will carry on until there is a working vaccine or a cure. You can’t apply a political solution to a medical emergency you have to put tour trust in the scientists and medical professions

Freshee61

Capital spending can be hard to reprogram (notice I say *can* not *is*). It also could be keeping others employed where halting that work also could result in more layoffs. It also might be less costly to do the work now when demand/crowds does not have to be managed or turned away.

All of these are hard and complex decisions. I am not sure we have enough information to properly evaluate the decisions. I do feel deeply, deeply sorry for those enduring these hardships.

Na it’s easy capitalism. How to Benefit more and pay less.
The pandemic gives companies a safe way to do it with out scrutiny.

DisneyTransport

While she maybe doing well in tips.. one also has to own up to their choices if they stay in such a basic role. They have also chosen to fore sake other things like stability, professional advancement/growth, better benefits, higher long term earning potentials, etc. People can chose what is important to them - but choices often come with tradeoffs.

Sure the 18yr old kid collecting tips as a valet is doing great compared to some peers... but he's still doing that at 35, he's going to be way behind others... and not building for their future.
I think this pandemic has proven that many jobs originally thought to be "stable" is indeed not the case.

I believe I am understanding your viewpoint, but its rubbing me the wrong way, and I feel the need to comment on it. Society needs servers, janitors, bartenders, and whatnot... they are a pillar to our country. At all the jobs I've had, I make the effort to talk with these "non-go getters" (as you implied), and they are some of the kindest people I know who live fulfilling lives. Some of them were great carpenters, co-owned businesses, self-employed as a mechanic, and others just worked part-time for years to raise their family while their S/O brought in the higher salary.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but your statement suggests your judging people on their job title which, if true, I think is caused by ignorance on your part. I believe the woman in the video is merely saying that the government could of done more to reduce the impacts of COVID. Heck, I know some fellow engineers (which is considered a stable career by many) that struggle to be employed for more than 15 years due to various reasons (2008 comes to mind). Nothing wrong with having emotions surrounding a layoff or termination of work, no matter what your career path is.

tirian

This commercial is a joke, and I’m not talking about politics. I’m talking about how the layoffs keep getting spun and blamed on different people.

Was it because of decisions made in California, like the company claims? Or was it overall financial mismanagement at Disney, which many industry insiders have claimed for years? Or was she part of the planned layoffs which were happening anyway as attendance dropped, profits rose from high prices, and Chapek wanted to cut dining and entertainment costs?

Are we also talking about the same virus which shut down HKDL and DLP twice — or forced long lockdowns in China and Italy?

nickys

Premium Member
At Disney? I can see that.. but thats also because Disney even pays their career people garbage.

While she maybe doing well in tips.. one also has to own up to their choices if they stay in such a basic role. They have also chosen to fore sake other things like stability, professional advancement/growth, better benefits, higher long term earning potentials, etc. People can chose what is important to them - but choices often come with tradeoffs.

Sure the 18yr old kid collecting tips as a valet is doing great compared to some peers... but he's still doing that at 35, he's going to be way behind others... and not building for their future.

I empathize with everyone who is being displaced in this global situation. It has put unreal and unsustainable burdens on millions without cause. I am very much in the camp that believes government intervention is essential to keep things from collapsing.
People have all sorts of reasons for wanting to work part time. Retirees, people who have caring responsibilities or those who simply want to “live their dream”.

Your attitude seems to be that these people should be “bettering themselves” when perhaps that’s not their goal, or maybe it isn’t actually a realistic option. Sure they might be able to get more hours in a down town diner but perhaps working at Disney is what they really want to do.

Parker in NYC

People have all sorts of reasons for wanting to work part time. Retirees, people who have caring responsibilities or those who simply want to “live their dream”.

Your attitude seems to be that these people should be “bettering themselves” when perhaps that’s not their goal, or maybe it isn’t actually a realistic option. Sure they might be able to get more hours in a down town diner but perhaps working at Disney is what they really want to do.
Pull themselves up by the bootstraps and get a real job. Yeah, 'murica. (Sorry, I'm running out of alternative taglines, I'm too tired).

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think this pandemic has proven that many jobs originally thought to be "stable" is indeed not the case.

I believe I am understanding your viewpoint, but its rubbing me the wrong way, and I feel the need to comment on it. Society needs servers, janitors, bartenders, and whatnot... they are a pillar to our country.

1) We're talking in the context of Disney here...
2) Yes these roles are very important... that doesn't mean the same person necessarily needs to do the SAME JOB for 15 years. That's why people get trained, learn more, new people come in, and the cycle of life continues.
3) My comment was in effect.. if you are vested 15 years within a company and presumably your career (else, why make an appearance citing Disney, instead of your real source of income)... and still a part-time entry level position... That stands out to me.

At all the jobs I've had, I make the effort to talk with these "non-go getters" (as you implied), and they are some of the kindest people I know who live fulfilling lives. Some of them were great carpenters, co-owned businesses, self-employed as a mechanic, and others just worked part-time for years to raise their family while their S/O brought in the higher salary.

Nice story - but does it apply to this lady as the story she has told? No. I didn't damn all servers - I commented on this lady's bio as they told it.

I believe the woman in the video is merely saying that the government could of done more to reduce the impacts of COVID. Heck, I know some fellow engineers (which is considered a stable career by many) that struggle to be employed for more than 15 years due to various reasons (2008 comes to mind). Nothing wrong with having emotions surrounding a layoff or termination of work, no matter what your career path is.

Sure that's the message - it's just not really supported well by the items cited to support their position. It's a simple video that plays to all the typical tropes.

nickys

Premium Member
2) Yes these roles are very important... that doesn't mean the same person necessarily needs to do the SAME JOB for 15 years. That's why people get trained, learn more, new people come in, and the cycle of life continues.
3) My comment was in effect.. if you are vested 15 years within a company and presumably your career (else, why make an appearance citing Disney, instead of your real source of income)... and still a part-time entry level position... That stands out to me.

Maybe someone who spends 15 years in a part-time entry level position is still there because it’s something they can do. There are some people for whom that would be an achievement in itself. It doesn’t make them any less important than the manager, even if their role could be done by anybody else. It certainly doesn’t make it OK for you to disparage them.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I'm just saying - if you want to prioritize things like 'living your dream' - you own the negatives that come with those choices too.

You want to keep a job that only works a few hours a week, so you can do other things? Your choice, but don't complain about being lower seniority or your ability to pay bills...

You want a job that pays with tip dependent pay? Your choice, but don't complain about your base wages when tips are down for other reasons, etc.

People are free to make whatever life choices they want - but that doesn't entitle them to being free of consequence or entitle to guaranteed utopia. Often we keep passions as secondary things simply because while they are noble or our passion... they simply don't pay the bills or get you to where you want to be in life.. be it independence, stability, or financial means... whatever you seek.

By this lady's own statements, it looks like she's been working for Disney pretty much her whole working life... anyone vested that much, from nearly the START of their career.. you'd hope they would have advanced more than just the years served counter. Again, I don't know anything about this person individually, or what her true role is in the company... but if I were invested 15 years and still were just part time hourly work that could be replaced at any time.. I'd wonder where I'd be when my child really needs me.

Last edited:

DisneyTransport

Nice story - but does it apply to this lady as the story she has told? No. I didn't damn all servers - I commented on this lady's bio as they told it.

Sure that's the message - it's just not really supported well by the items cited to support their position. It's a simple video that plays to all the typical tropes.
It is a political ad, which I am rarely a fan of, no mater what side they're for! I don't look to deep into these political ads typically, as they are far from the full story.

In terms of having to do the same job for 15 years, I disagree. If someone feels the need to perform a job for 15 years, fantastic! They are contributing to the company/society and are probably perfecting the art of their job and perhaps training the new comers as well? who knows? Always good to have an "old breed" to teach the next generation.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Maybe someone who spends 15 years in a part-time entry level position is still there because it’s something they can do. There are some people for whom that would be an achievement in itself. It doesn’t make them any less important than the manager, even if their role could be done by anybody else. It certainly doesn’t make it OK for you to disparage them.

Your opinion. Mine.. if after 15 years you haven't grown any.. that is a reflection on you. Everyone should continue to grow - be it skills, knowledge, usable experience, responsibility, etc. If you don't want to invest in your own growth, then they have little to stand on when they complain why their compensation hasn't grown.

DisneyTransport

I'm just saying - if you want to prioritize things like 'living your dream' - you own the negatives that come with those choices too.

You want to keep a job that only works a few hours a week, so you can do other things? Your choice, but don't complain about being lower seniority or your ability to pay bills...

People are free to make whatever life choices they want - but that doesn't entitle them to being free of consequence or guaranteed utopia. Often we keep passions as secondary things simply because while they are noble or our passion... they simply don't pay the bills or get you to where you want to be in life.. be it independence, stability, or financial means... whatever you seek.
This I agree with you on! I do believe there needs to be an incentive to "climb the latter" and get higher education. As a more blunt analogy, the fast food employee working the counter shouldn't be able to afford on their pay the latest top-of-the-line car, for example. That doesn't bring down their value as a person, its just one of the trade offs due to the requirements/skills needed for the career they chose.
edit: perhaps I was reading your statements wrong before (we are typing in a Disney forum after all), as your original post came off as sounding very condescending

ImperfectPixie

This I agree with you on! I do believe there needs to be an incentive to "climb the latter" and get higher education. As a more blunt analogy, the fast food employee working the counter shouldn't be able to afford on their pay the latest top-of-the-line car, for example. That doesn't bring down their value as a person, its just one of the trade offs due to the requirements/skills needed for the career they chose.
An unfortunate reality though, is that often big corporations make moving up in the company very difficult. It's a shame, too, because a happy, loyal employee is a better employee than some random person just hired. Long-term, it's cheaper to keep current employees happy than it is to constantly pay for training for new employees.

nickys

Premium Member
Your opinion. Mine.. if after 15 years you haven't grown any.. that is a reflection on you. Everyone should continue to grow - be it skills, knowledge, usable experience, responsibility, etc. If you don't want to invest in your own growth, then they have little to stand on when they complain why their compensation hasn't grown.
My point is some people may have social or learning disabilities that limit what they will ever be able to do. For them to have held that job for 15 years is an achievement in itself.

DisneyTransport

My point is some people may have social or learning disabilities that limit what they will ever be able to do. For them to have held that job for 15 years is an achievement in itself.
This is very true as well! I used to volunteer at a place that trained those with developmental disabilities life skills (cooking, cleaning, basic life/job skills) and it was always a celebration when a client had a work anniversary!

flynnibus

Premium Member
An unfortunate reality though, is that often big corporations make moving up in the company very difficult. It's a shame, too, because a happy, loyal employee is a better employee than some random person just hired. Long-term, it's cheaper to keep current employees happy than it is to constantly pay for training for new employees.

True yes... but where you chose to work is part of all this. And if you work for a company that makes that future completely miserable... LEAVE. It's a two way street!

All too often people have too many excuses where people point the finger at the company... yet are still doing stuff they could be doing ANYWHERE. Too many people fear taking the leap and won't step out of their comfort zone.

flynnibus

Premium Member

So you are saying this lady is learning disabled? And drawing this conclusion based on her staying in such a role?

Or just trying to defend completely hypothetical situations not related to the case at hand?

Your argument is noble... but it's like defending against someone's failure to meet standards because SOMEWHERE out there, there are people with disabilities that can't. Correct -- but is it applicable here??

ImperfectPixie

So you are saying this lady is learning disabled? And drawing this conclusion based on her staying in such a role?

Or just trying to defend completely hypothetical situations not related to the case at hand?

Your argument is noble... but it's like defending against someone's failure to meet standards because SOMEWHERE out there, there are people with disabilities that can't. Correct -- but is it applicable here??
I'd almost bet that out of 28,000 people there are at least a few who would qualify as special needs.

Lilofan

I'd almost bet that out of 28,000 people there are at least a few who would qualify as special needs.
Very true. I've seen and met some cast members permanently disabled ( in their wheelchair ) who work in the theme parks with a BIG smile and a great attitude. I would not be surprised if these talented cast have been doing the same role for a number of years. There is nothing wrong about that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom