Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

rreading

Glad you are happy about it, cause I don’t. Lol.

I’m going to try to sneak down to see Voices, since I didn’t cancel my pass I might as well use it. I doubt I’ll be getting another one.

We've been twice since the reopening (from Texas); and it's obvious that they're trying to look like they're providing the usual entertainment but it's certainly not the same.

I'm not happy about the changes either, but their entertainers are intended to draw crowds which is counterproductive for where we are. We're there to soak up the environment more than the people at this point

SoFloMagic

That is just misleading and dishonest.

The majority of covid deaths (~75%) in the United States (per CDC) are age 65 and above. Of that group a large percentage of the deaths were attributable to assisted living facilities, pre-existing health factors, and hospitals.

These are people that never set foot inside a Restaurant, Box Store, etc.

The overwhelming majority of people patronizing businesses and engaging in commerce have done so safely and responsibly. For those that choose to go out, it's a matter of personal responsibility. If you are responsible you take precautions and follow common sense. The carelessness you speak of comes from people who make the personal choice not to do things responsibly. Like it or not people in a free country still can act like idiots, ultimately the responsibility is with the individual to make the choices that affect their lives.
OK. But there are young people who go out to bars and bring it home to their parents. And families that have friends over and get covid. Those friends got it somewhere. But you already knew that...

Why not be honest that some things shouldn't be open until enough people wear masks that the transmission rate falls? Stuff can be open with masks now. The indoor unmasked stuff probably shouldn't until we get this under control.

I mean if everyone just wore a mask for 10 weeks we'd have low enough transmission rates that we could reopen most things (with masks) safely

TrainsOfDisney

Sorry this is some people's first exposure to adulting.

Well when people keep pouting and wishing reality was different... eventually someone just needs to smack them out of it.

but put on your big boy pants and grasp the reality that Execution of a RIF is not a retirement party... there is no big send off.. there is no tearfully send off from the assigned HR reps. It’s a process... and methodical.

Watch that video and then read some people’s attitudes about these 28,000 CM’s. :(

In the words of flynnibus she just needs to “put her big boy pants on” right?

Lilofan

15years and still a 'server' and part-time? Sounds like a real go getter...
You seem to without success single out people in respectable professions. Some servers in a part time role may choose that role for personal reasons. Some may work part time and bring home more annually just in tips alone than the salaried management staff. Your term to describe the part server as a real go getter is flawed.

TrainsOfDisney

As bad as this is for Disney workers and my heart indeed goes out to them, other industries and workers have been devastated as well. People have lost businesses, some have lost everything. This pandemic does not discriminate.
Indeed... I visit NYC often for broadway shows. 42 broadway theaters closed until at least May. That’s hundreds of equity actors plus orchestras, plus lighting, sound, ticketing, ushers, wardrobe, stage managers, etc. That’s got to be over 1,000 people out of work. And they have NYC area rent on top of that!

flynnibus

Premium Member
You seem to without success single out people in respectable professions. Some servers in a part time role may choose that role for personal reasons. Some may work part time and bring home more annually just in tips alone than the salaried management staff. Your term to describe the part server as a real go getter is flawed.

At Disney? I can see that.. but thats also because Disney even pays their career people garbage.

While she maybe doing well in tips.. one also has to own up to their choices if they stay in such a basic role. They have also chosen to fore sake other things like stability, professional advancement/growth, better benefits, higher long term earning potentials, etc. People can chose what is important to them - but choices often come with tradeoffs.

Sure the 18yr old kid collecting tips as a valet is doing great compared to some peers... but he's still doing that at 35, he's going to be way behind others... and not building for their future.

I empathize with everyone who is being displaced in this global situation. It has put unreal and unsustainable burdens on millions without cause. I am very much in the camp that believes government intervention is essential to keep things from collapsing.

LiterallyNobody

Well.. someone had that one right....

Wait, I thought I was totally wrong on that because they installed some new old stock posters they had laying around?

Anyways, haven't been around for a bit, been busy. But I am going to have something interesting (and good news for once) coming in the next few days once I get confirmation from a few other people.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I do think if you keep choosing a bad employer and do not do anything to advance yourself that is a choice the person has to own up to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom