Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

mgf

But they sure are going strong with construction, remolding etc.

Capital spending can be hard to reprogram (notice I say *can* not *is*). It also could be keeping others employed where halting that work also could result in more layoffs. It also might be less costly to do the work now when demand/crowds does not have to be managed or turned away.

All of these are hard and complex decisions. I am not sure we have enough information to properly evaluate the decisions. I do feel deeply, deeply sorry for those enduring these hardships.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wasn't arguing in favor of (or against) his position. I was merely pointing out that corporate cash reserves and personal savings aren't really comparable for multiple reasons.

Not really.. both are treasured for the same reasons, ensuring the health, stability, and going forward strategies of the entity. The main difference in the topic here is simply scale. But that can work both ways...

If this is Mr Don Jons corporation in your town... he's still corporate, but he doesn't necessarily have more reserves than the individual who happens to be a Sales VP who has a strong reserve of his own. Both manage their assets to ensure their stability, ability to execute how they want, and plan for future activities. Both return their gains to their stakeholders... and both pay for their expenses from their reserves, cash flow, or borrowing.

The difference is WHO the stakeholders are and who they feel obligated for... not the basic principles. We could paint individuals as just as selfish as corporations if you think about it.

The difference here simply is someone is looking at it as 'someone elses money' and an individual's belief that the stakeholders of the corporation should prioritize ex-workers above all else.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Topic#1 in the upcoming Q4 public earnings call in November with Wall Street will be the layoffs or however Chapek will describe it. Hopefully during Q&A the Wall Street analysts will ask the hard questions

They will describe it as making the necessary changes to adapt the business to the environment they are constrained to operate under. And the analysts will focus on the new net situation and outlook for future expansion of operations. They aren't going to spend 10 seconds of thought about the plight of the laid off workers. Besides the size of the charge Disney will put on the books for it, the analysts will be focused on the forward, not the past.

LastoneOn

I always look at it more as "different" than "sad". My kids aren't really into the live shows, they find them boring and chintz especially once they hit the teenage years.
Today's consumer is different, with a generation that grew up pretty much "looking" at some type of screen, from video games to their phones for entertainment it doesn't surprise me that they don't see anything wrong with screen rides.

People have been predicting the fall of Disney pretty much since this site open and yet it remains pretty popular. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be, us dinosaurs die out (stop going) and are replaced with a new generation of visitors. 🤷
There's a lot to agree with from many of you. My belief is that their polling of guests has become a curse. I haven't done a lot of their surveys, but they always seem designed to reinforce something that has already been decided upon, or happening. Confirmation bias is the term I guess. Even the answer scales/responses seemed weighted one way or the other.

Why not ask: is the food too expensive? No, can't outright ask that, instead they blather it all up so there is no honest way or anyway to say YES!!

So they're survey driven , but they've steered the guests so hard into "like" no matter what disaster is offered that they are the exemplar of believing their own b.s.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
No copy/cite of this filed document?
Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 1.16.36 PM.png

tirian

Update on Entertainment at Walt Disney World Resort - Bettina Buckley, Vice President, Walt Disney World Resort Live Entertainment

"Walt Disney World Resort offers a treasure trove of experiences for guests of all ages. We recognize that part of the magic of visiting any Disney park is seeing favorite Disney friends and discovering one-of-a-kind shows and performances. Since reopening, we’ve continued to offer modified character experiences and entertainment throughout our resort, while also taking the appropriate steps for the health and safety of our guests and cast members...”

When will companies understand that the general public is too accustomed to this sort of slick, overdone PR talk to take it seriously?

Blah blah treasure trove, blah blah magic, blah blah experience, blah blah unprecedented times.

No amount of virtue signaling or Inclusion tweets* can cover the corporate pandering, the cold layoffs, and the overpaid executive structure that thrives on purchasing other people’s IPs and milking them to death — then firing the CMs who contributed the real Magic.

*I’m only mentioning those because the PR team tried to bury the layoffs under the “Inclusion Key” announcement. I’m not trying to be political. 🙌

rreading

That statement actually makes me want to visit even less.

But it's where we are for now. The commentary suggests that they are fully invested in replacing their entertainment and hopefully it's not just lip service. WDW is certainly a stripped down version of what we love, but if that can keep things going, then I'm all for it

If you don't want to visit - that's great! They're currently just treading water and MK is busier than it needs to be right now (from a corona standpoint). Maybe they'll be able to restore things going into next Summer

zweltar

Not really.. both are treasured for the same reasons, ensuring the health, stability, and going forward strategies of the entity. The main difference in the topic here is simply scale. But that can work both ways...

If this is Mr Don Jons corporation in your town... he's still corporate, but he doesn't necessarily have more reserves than the individual who happens to be a Sales VP who has a strong reserve of his own. Both manage their assets to ensure their stability, ability to execute how they want, and plan for future activities. Both return their gains to their stakeholders... and both pay for their expenses from their reserves, cash flow, or borrowing.

The difference is WHO the stakeholders are and who they feel obligated for... not the basic principles. We could paint individuals as just as selfish as corporations if you think about it.

The difference here simply is someone is looking at it as 'someone elses money' and an individual's belief that the stakeholders of the corporation should prioritize ex-workers above all else.
I wish my reserves, and their impact if directed toward those in need, were as easily compared to Disney's as you portend...

Jrb1979

well the same company replaced tour guides with recordings... I don't have high hopes for big rebounds.
Agreed. Some things like fireworks and parades will return. The shows that do return will have fewer show times and with less experienced cast. There is a reason many keep saying Disney as you knew it is gone for good. Many forget that a lot of these cuts were coming Covid or not. Not as many CM's laid off but they have been slowly getting rid of a lot of entertainment things. Either they are gone for good or replaced with something that is a lot worse.

Lilofan

They will describe it as making the necessary changes to adapt the business to the environment they are constrained to operate under. And the analysts will focus on the new net situation and outlook for future expansion of operations. They aren't going to spend 10 seconds of thought about the plight of the laid off workers. Besides the size of the charge Disney will put on the books for it, the analysts will be focused on the forward, not the past.
Also briefly that will be discussed is the current closure of the theme parks, DLR, DLP. Wall Street won't need to know any story about layoffs except what is the turnaround plan of the company moving forward as few examples. No analyst could care less about the past but mostly future outlook so they can recommend a buy, sell or hold on the company stock. Future expansion? That's too early to tell, more realistic is the projects dead in the water and if and when they come back to life. It's the Chapek show now. Chapek's contract as CEO expires Feb 2023. It would be an accomplishment if he makes it to the end.

Last edited:

zweltar

This is known as missing the forrest for the trees. Thanks for participating.
I bet every person on this forum wishes he or she was as wise and all-knowing as you... Have you considered running for office and making everything right?

Per your analogy, the forest is the same as the trees, just like a large corporation is the same as in individual citizen. Am I right?

I am now prepared to receive your wisdom and guidance as to why what I am wrong...

Thank YOU for participating and providing supreme enlightenment.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am now prepared to receive your wisdom and guidance as to why what I am wrong...

AKA - Focusing on one bit and missing the bigger assembly/picture/concept

The point is the justification and reasoning of why 'corporations' can do it but not individuals does not pass logical tests. The reasoning is not 'corporate', the reasoning is actually because they see someone with a lot of money vs someone with less money. And think 'well they can afford to do it...'. It's not because one is a corporation or not - it's because they see someone with a big pile of money.

The 'who has money' situation is easily flipped.. and the rules no longer work... hence why they are not really sound 'rules' to start with. Aka bad reasoning/logic.

And no forest is not the same as trees... hence the whole tale behind the idiom... but hey, eat the rich!

Last edited:

zweltar

AKA - Focusing on one bit and missing the bigger assembly/picture/concept

The point is the justification and reasoning of why 'corporations' can do it but not individuals does not pass logical tests. The reasoning is not 'corporate', the reasoning is actually because they see someone with a lot of money vs someone with less money. And think 'well they can afford to do it...'. It's not because one is a corporation or not - it's because they see someone with a big pile of money.
Thanks for explaining. I especially appreciated the link because lil' ol' me didn't know what that idiom meant! Again, I am indebted to your tutelage. I missed that @lentesta said that Disney should keep the employees on board longer because Disney is a big pile of money. I thought I had read some more details and reasoning beyond that. My apologies.

My logic must be flawed that I thought a large group with tons of money and access to low interest or free loans (which I certainly don't have access to) is better positioned to assist the people who previously helped keep the company running.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My logic must be flawed that I thought a large group with tons of money and access to low interest or free loans (which I certainly don't have access to) is better positioned to assist the people who previously helped keep the company running.

And Disney has been doing that... and will have done it for nearly 9 months by the time these people are fully termed.

Where does it end?

If Disney is positioned because of their 'tons of money and access to low interest or free loans' - you might want to look at the people who can just print money and save everyone, not just Disney employees. If that's your criteria and all...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom