Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

JoeCamel

And in 2025 people who never went before 2019 will defend until blue in the face that everything is great and insist anyone who thinks otherwise is just romanticizing the past :)
Many who are scammed won't report it or tell friends from fear of looking foolish spending money on a hoax, I think some of the pixie dust is just that. A distanced view would show a different picture to any casual Joe or Jill.

Magenta Panther

Ohhh, boy, this layoff stuff is very depressing. I dunno, maybe if Iger hadn't spent so much company money buying up IP the company didn't need, then Walt's babies wouldn't have to suffer so much. Never hurts to have a rainy day fund, after all (DOES Disney have one? Or is all the company cash tied up with loans etc.?)

Maybe we should just, you know, grow up a bit about this virus - which has reportedly a recovery rate of around 90% for uncompromised individuals - and admit that it's simply something we're going to have to learn to live with.

A vaccine, you say? Excellent! But any vaccine will no doubt NOT cover every form of COVID - just like flu shots, which also don't cover every form of the flu. I should know, because I got a flu shot last year, and I got the flu anyway.

This has gotten ridiculous. What do we do when another pandemic occurs? Shut down the country/world again? Talk about the perfect biological weapon. This whole attempt to "contain" COVID has gotten political and inept and needs to STOP.

DCLcruiser

Devils advocate - I thought Massachusetts was a model of a state taking Covid seriously with stringent social distancing and mask wearing requirements. How is it possible that even by adhering to all the strict requirement has it gotten that bad that quickly?
My guess is that college students are back. I went to college in Boston, fun times, definitely a super-spreader atmosphere.

My great-grandfather died of Spanish Flu in 1919.

I have a client who got COVID, he's a PA for NYPD, survived...still hasn't regained the sense of taste. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

gdrj

Ohhh, boy, this layoff stuff is very depressing. I dunno, maybe if Iger hadn't spent so much company money buying up IP the company didn't need, then Walt's babies wouldn't have to suffer so much. Never hurts to have a rainy day fund, after all (DOES Disney have one? Or is all the company cash tied up with loans etc.?)
No company or employer can just continue without layoffs/dismissals. The only reason many companies were able to delay cutbacks was the Federal payroll protection and other $$$ that was made available. I think we will unfortunately see more of this as industries and companies struggle. As far as company $$ on IP, imo thats a different issue. No company is just going to continue to handout $$ to employees with revenue not there.

KBLovedDisney

No company or employer can just continue without layoffs/dismissals. The only reason many companies were able to delay cutbacks was the Federal payroll protection and other $$$ that was made available. I think we will unfortunately see more of this as industries and companies struggle. As far as company $$ on IP, imo thats a different issue. No company is just going to continue to handout $$ to employees with revenue not there.
"Sorry, we have to fire you all."

*Same people

"You know, I bet the entrance would look good dark blue and gold and ooooo let's paint the castle pink."

granfiesta

Are any of these layoffs affecting Photopass photographers? I saw something in passing on Facebook, but I haven't heard anything else about them.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Especially since the Polynesian isn't going to be open until next summer at the earliest (with as long as it takes Disney to do construction and the continued uncertainty around COVID, I wouldn't be married to that date). I'm not even sure if they actually fired them -- I think it may have been that their contracts were not renewed, which is a distinction without a difference, I suppose.

There is a distinction, a contract has a specified duration.

seabreezept813

We were actually a hot-spot at the beginning...we clamped down hard and brought our cases way down and were doing really well for a while, but then people became complacent and didn't follow the mandates as strictly.

Our town actually put out lit highway signs warning that if masks aren't worn in public spaces they will be closed, and they've hired people to follow through on fines for violating mandates like capacities and masks. This all within the last couple of weeks.
The majority of cases are being traced to private gatherings or indoor dining. Businesses and schools still have strict mandates.

ImperfectPixie

The majority of cases are being traced to private gatherings or indoor dining. Businesses and schools still have strict mandates.
There's a skate park where kids - of all ages - weren't wearing masks. They destroyed a sign that was hung stating that if masks weren't worn, the park would be closed. So the town brought in one of those lit highway signs...the kids damaged it. So now the park is closed for two weeks and all these kids' parents are freaking out about the closure on FB.

ETA: A little bird told me that in school, the only kids who aren't good about wearing a mask are those who have parents who don't advocate mask-wearing.

Last edited:

seabreezept813

There's a skate park where kids - of all ages - weren't wearing masks. They destroyed a sign that was hung stating that if masks weren't worn, the park would be closed. So the town brought in one of those lit highway signs...the kids damaged it. So now the park is closed for two weeks and all these kids' parents are freaking out about the closure on FB.

ETA: A little bird told me that in school, the only kids who aren't good about wearing a mask are those who have parents who don't advocate mask-wearing.
Those kids should be given community service. So ridiculous. It’s outside of school stuff that will cause problems. I’m nervous about Halloween parties. I haven’t had a mask issue yet with a student, but with them only coming 2 days a week it’s like they don’t bother to misbehave. The problem is large community cases will shut down things like school because it will force too many into quarantine. Society needs to pick what is more important skate parks and roller rinks or school and going to work. It’s not like this will go on forever..

ImperfectPixie

Those kids should be given community service. So ridiculous. It’s outside of school stuff that will cause problems. I’m nervous about Halloween parties. I haven’t had a mask issue yet with a student, but with them only coming 2 days a week it’s like they don’t bother to misbehave. The problem is large community cases will shut down things like school because it will force too many into quarantine. Society needs to pick what is more important skate parks and roller rinks or school and going to work. It’s not like this will go on forever..
They absolutely should! Unfortunately, the parents need to step up, stop complaining, and promote mask wearing with their kids. I don't see that happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom