Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

kayaknc56

WOW.

Please pay attention.

We had to close everything up to limit the spread of the virus and reduce active infections so that hospitals didn't get to the point they did in Italy - with bodies being stacked in random rooms because the morgues were full and doctors being forced to limit treatment to those under a certain age. THOSE THINGS HAPPENED. If you think they can't happen again, then you live in a dream world. Cases are on the rise again all over America...if people don't suck it up and wear masks and follow the CDC recommendations, we run a risk of being in that very situation.

The economy is NOT going to just keep chugging along as if everything is okay during a pandemic regardless of what you think. Job losses can be recovered over time. Dead people cannot.
Just calm down and follow the data. We will get through this. Let's not make a bad situation worse which I am afraid we are about to do....again

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Job losses can be recovered over time. Dead people cannot.
That is a very reckless and cavalier statement to make. Yes job losses can be recovered over time, but in the interim it causes tremendous devastation. You shouldn't judge the devastating impact of either or say one is worse than the other. The emotional toll of not being able to provide for your family or yourself can be just as bad if not worse.

ImperfectPixie

That is a very reckless and cavalier statement to make. Yes job losses can be recovered over time, but in the interim it causes tremendous devastation. You shouldn't judge the devastating impact of either or say one is worse than the other. The emotional toll of not being able to provide for your family or yourself can be just as bad if not worse.
This entire pandemic is devastating to way too many people. I'm not making light of losses of ANY kind.

I'm sick and tired of people complaining about the closures (that are mostly over) and mask mandates. WE NEED TO DO BETTER THAN WE ARE so that we don't have to experience MORE closures, and so that more people don't die.

WEAR A MASK. SOCIAL DISTANCE. AVOID LARGE GATHERINGS. WASH YOUR HANDS.

That's not asking very freaking much.

monothingie

Premium Member
It's already happening. The data always lags reality by ~2 weeks. I'm in MA, and in our town we were down to single-digit active cases. We're back up to over 100 in less than two weeks.
Devils advocate - I thought Massachusetts was a model of a state taking Covid seriously with stringent social distancing and mask wearing requirements. How is it possible that even by adhering to all the strict requirement has it gotten that bad that quickly?

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
WDW is somewhere around 16k. I haven’t been following DLR that closely for numbers there.

This is from OCR on 10-14.

"An exact count of the layoffs at the Disneyland resort is not yet available, but an early estimate puts the number in excess of 8,700 employees — with the number expected to rise."

ImperfectPixie

Devils advocate - I thought Massachusetts was a model of a state taking Covid seriously with stringent social distancing and mask wearing requirements. How is it possible that even by adhering to all the strict requirement has it gotten that bad that quickly?
We were actually a hot-spot at the beginning...we clamped down hard and brought our cases way down and were doing really well for a while, but then people became complacent and didn't follow the mandates as strictly.

Our town actually put out lit highway signs warning that if masks aren't worn in public spaces they will be closed, and they've hired people to follow through on fines for violating mandates like capacities and masks. This all within the last couple of weeks.

monothingie

Premium Member
I'm sick and tired of people complaining about the closures (that are mostly over)
Most business (especially in hospitality and retail) are still subject to strict capacity restrictions.

Don't just whitewash the secondary effects as insignificant because the body count doesn't match up. Those problems (such as opioid addictions) will continue to linger long beyond when this virus is brought under control.

ImperfectPixie

Most business (especially in hospitality and retail) are still subject to strict capacity restrictions.

Don't just whitewash the secondary effects as insignificant because the body count doesn't match up. Those problems (such as opioid addictions) will continue to linger long beyond when this virus is brought under control.
I'm well aware...I have a friend who is a licensed therapist who deals with addiction and domestic violence. She's slammed right now. 😔

Yes, restrictions are in place...for good reason. They aren't full-on closures though, which I'm afraid we'll have to experience again if people don't hurry up and comply with what we're being asked to do.

ETA: It's like we're kids who have been placed in time-out, and we keep trying to sneak out...so our time-out keeps having to get extended because we aren't learning our lesson.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It was parks, imagineering and cruises correct?
Do Disney stores count as well? What about Disney theatrical?

It was announced as the division... and the division includes parks, cruises, travel, dvc, consumer products...

Theatre is under the Studios Division.

I've not tracked it line by line.. but sure felt like we were seeing parks totals in the 10k range... which left huge amounts unaccounted for. I've seen one quote that says the division has around 100k employees. But we've only had the union statements to say any breakdowns of whose impacted. (that I've seen cross my way...)

monothingie

Premium Member
We were actually a hot-spot at the beginning...we clamped down hard and brought our cases way down and were doing really well for a while, but then people became complacent and didn't follow the mandates as strictly.
I live in NJ and it was the exact same way. We have some of the strictest restrictions in the country at present and yet our numbers continue to deteriorate. Yet we see more and more people not adhering to any sort of compliance measures. (And these non-compliers aren't the stereotypical knuckle dragging red-state neanderthals. It has been noted by the press here that often the biggest flouters of mask regs are the exact opposite demographic.)

ImperfectPixie

I live in NJ and it was the exact same way. We have some of the strictest restrictions in the country at present and yet our numbers continue to deteriorate. Yet we see more and more people not adhering to any sort of compliance measures. (And these non-compliers aren't the stereotypical knuckle dragging red-state neanderthals. It has been noted by the press here that often the biggest flouters of mask regs are the exact opposite demographic.)
Pretty sure I know exactly the type of person you're talking about.

Disney Analyst

Let me jump in, as someone in the performance industry:

Equity performers in general are all out of work. There are barely any equity contracts currently running/productions available. All performers (union or non union) in general are just screwed everywhere, unless you are in the film industry.

So we can hate Disney for how they handled this, but it was inevitable with the current situation.

But it seems all equity performers who worked for Disney will get 1st dibs when shows start remounting ( up to end of next year), and if they don’t take it, I guarantee a thousand other equity performers desperate for work will audition for the job.

Whoever starts hiring performers back first will have a huge pool to pull from, as almost every performer is currently out of work... and will be either career changing, or holding on for live performance to continue again.

And we can speculate until the cows come home what Disney will do, will they ever have performers again? But these are unprecedented times, and we just have to wait and see... and hope.

I personally don’t see Disney just never investing in performance / atmosphere performance ever gain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom