Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

seascape

What is Disney supposed to do? California refuses to let Disneyland open and that is 2 of their 6 parks in the US. Florida had over 70,000 cast members and at 25% of capacity they are way down in attendance. That means if it weren't for the DVC things would even be worse. I want all the shows to return but both Disney and Universal need to layoff tens of thousands more employees if California continues to keep the parks closed. They need to put more pressure on that stupid state, sue or move more of their corporate jobs out of that stupid state. The biggest problrm they and all business face on California is the voters who keep rlwvting fools like Davis that have no understanding how important Disney, Universal, Cedar Fair and Six Flags are to the tourists industry and California in general. Put the blame where it belongs. California.

Gringrinngghost

Some final thoughts as I attempt to get this thing called sleep at now nearly 7am...

Yes Disney having to lay people of is the evil and vengeful ways of California and has absolutely nothing to do with stupidity like the following image that has brought us to now.
1603882353257.png

It's funny, actually absolutely hysterical to find that a study has conclude that when vampire bats feel sick, they socially distance themselves from groupmates in their roost. Same with lobsters, monkeys, fish, insects and birds are also known to socially distance when they detect illness in their peers. Yes, they are better at social distancing than Humans who cry that we are taking away their freedoms because they we have the gall to ask them to not spread a virus, because they read of facebook something something herd immunity, which looks marvelous when you willfully and gleefully aim to have 2 million deaths. All while you tout that you ended COVID while those you work with say that we aren't going to get it under control.

To add to this evil nasty California issue. Disney lost any and all room to talk against California when Robert Iger decided to act like a petulant child and resigned from the Covid task force because talks weren’t going his way. Yes it sucks people are out of work and people were laid off. However we need to look at it this way, all the closure does is mitigating spread of Covid. This is vital as we enter the second wave and because of the Covid party’s that have been rampant in California. And while both are acting in their best interests however this childish bickering needs to end. Both sides need to be reasonable, yet Disney honestly hasn’t shown me one iota to sway my opinion towards them nor has California all while the Company continutes to use the CMs as pawns while they won't take any further salary cuts nor bonus cuts. California’s response is solely from the lackluster response from the Federal Government and ill acting parties that decided to have parties during this which had required California to take what some have called draconian actions. Disney, you know if Robert Iger wasn’t so spendthrift since 2008, and the executives knew how to take a pay cut... you would be a little bit more fiscally well off.

But alas, here we are.

Good Night.

PS: Before anyone want's to quote me, look at the source of the "Covid is fake" The president at a rally yesterday was poking fun at COVID-19 by claiming that Barron, his son had COVID for about 12 minutes, Yes, the president was making jokes about a virus that he gleefully gave to his wife and his son. All while he touted the "Miracle Cure" which I shall note that he was given experimental treatment including the "cure" on compassionate grounds. All of this while the FLOTUS had to cancel an appearance last week over lingering effects.

Good night for real. Just needed an outlet to vent.

wannabeBelle

What is Disney supposed to do? California refuses to let Disneyland open and that is 2 of their 6 parks in the US. Florida had over 70,000 cast members and at 25% of capacity they are way down in attendance. That means if it weren't for the DVC things would even be worse. I want all the shows to return but both Disney and Universal need to layoff tens of thousands more employees if California continues to keep the parks closed. They need to put more pressure on that stupid state, sue or move more of their corporate jobs out of that stupid state. The biggest problrm they and all business face on California is the voters who keep rlwvting fools like Davis that have no understanding how important Disney, Universal, Cedar Fair and Six Flags are to the tourists industry and California in general. Put the blame where it belongs. California.
The problem is this didnt only happen in California. I agree with not keeping people employed just for the sake of employing them so California would have taken a bad hit due to the inability to reopen, however in Florida, they can operate the parks. Why wouldnt you have entertainment for your guests who are coming to visit.? It seems backwards to cut offerings while you are trying to attract guests. I understand there is only so much capital to go around as well, but to quietly reinstate your executives to 7 figure salaries while the Cast Members that the public does come to see ( Entertainment and others) are being terminated is incredibly short sighted at best. Marie

durangojim

Good thing the face mask card is fake.

crispy

Disney leadership supported the very people who have kept them shutdown in CA which puts the blame right back on Disney.

As someone mentioned above, Disney is between a rock and a hard place. They haven't lowered prices or offered incentives and have now cut pretty much all entertainment which likely will decrease demand at least for the Disney faithful. I know many consumers won't know or won't care, but many likely will. It will be interesting to see how this plays out long term.

We are planning to visit Universal in November. We purchased a package that included a 15 month season pass and 5 night hotel stay (two room suite at Endless Summer). I just priced out the same period at WDW and 5 nights in one room at Pop Century with a 4 day ticket is a $1000 more than what we paid for our trip. Even if Universal does cut some things, as a consumer, I still feel okay because the price I am paying is reasonable for what I am getting. Plus, we can go back again for another trip and only worry about paying for our hotel, food, and extras. There is no way WDW can justify their prices for their current product.

Lilofan

Disney leadership supported the very people who have kept them shutdown in CA which puts the blame right back on Disney.

As someone mentioned above, Disney is between a rock and a hard place. They haven't lowered prices or offered incentives and have now cut pretty much all entertainment which likely will decrease demand at least for the Disney faithful. I know many consumers won't know or won't care, but many likely will. It will be interesting to see how this plays out long term.

We are planning to visit Universal in November. We purchased a package that included a 15 month season pass and 5 night hotel stay (two room suite at Endless Summer). I just priced out the same period at WDW and 5 nights in one room at Pop Century with a 4 day ticket is a $1000 more than what we paid for our trip. Even if Universal does cut some things, as a consumer, I still feel okay because the price I am paying is reasonable for what I am getting. Plus, we can go back again for another trip and only worry about paying for our hotel, food, and extras. There is no way WDW can justify their prices for their current product.
One odd justification for paying more for less is restricted travel to travel outside the USA and entry for foreign tourists to the USA ( or lack of them ). Raise it to the locals. There is plenty of cash some are accumulating and not spending and perhaps this target group is what Disney is counting on to spend their cash.

trainplane3

How do you deal with stupid ? What chance had the world got with such a crass, idiotic and arrogant, self centred mentality like this?
"But mah rights" kind of people try that stuff.

Luckily most places have caught on with that stuff. My dad's latest job consists of helping customers get the tools they need, pointing them to the right department, and tell them to get the firetruck out of the store if they don't like the mask rule. Just hearing the stories from the past few weeks is crazy. Most escalate to the store owner, some have nearly had the cops brought in. The store has a zero tolerance rule for this stuff.

ImperfectPixie

Luckily most places have caught on with that stuff. My dad's latest job consists of helping customers get the tools they need, pointing them to the right department, and tell them to get the firetruck out of the store if they don't like the mask rule. Just hearing the stories from the past few weeks is crazy. Most escalate to the store owner, some have nearly had the cops brought in. The store has a zero tolerance rule for this stuff.
It blows my mind how selfish and ignorant so many Americans are...makes me ashamed to be one. I'm sorry your dad has to deal with the jerks.

LSLS

Trying to put the blame on CA is ridiculous. It has been stated multiple times this was coming without COVID (just maybe not these extremes). Other companies somehow have kept some entertainment at their park, and found other ways to get money through the door in CA. But yeah, all CA's fault that WDW have cut pretty much any and all entertainment.

I won't argue there is some contribution from the continued closure and lower attendance, but Disney has been building to this for years. Now they have 2 scapegoats to push it all through at once (even if it's more than initially expected).

tirian

It blows my mind how selfish and ignorant so many Americans are...makes me ashamed to be one. I'm sorry your dad has to deal with the jerks.
Sadly, it’s the same mentality that led to the Disneyland Assistance Card/Pass debacle a few years ago. People can be illogically selfish.

But I won’t keep talking about that because I don’t want to see this thread derailed or closed.

The layoffs are the main thing, and given how Disney has been shutting down live entertainment for the last few years, I hope the casts are looking for jobs elsewhere.

tirian

Trying to put the blame on CA is ridiculous. It has been stated multiple times this was coming without COVID (just maybe not these extremes). Other companies somehow have kept some entertainment at their park, and found other ways to get money through the door in CA. But yeah, all CA's fault that WDW have cut pretty much any and all entertainment.

I won't argue there is some contribution from the continued closure and lower attendance, but Disney has been building to this for years. Now they have 2 scapegoats to push it all through at once (even if it's more than initially expected).
Correct. Disney started slicing the California-based entertainment years ago, with DCA’s street entertainment being the first casualty. Even their newest (ugly) parade comprises mostly small units and fewer performers.

Plus, Chapek infamously cut all planned entertainment for Batuu and effectively said the $9/hour CPs could tell you “Bright Suns” instead of paying for roaming street shows. And we were supposed to believe they’d still maintain the cast within a 48-hour cosplay Star Wars hotel. ;)

WDW’s cuts were coming no matter what.

tirian

-No live entertainment
-No new attractions
-No night shows
-No seasonal events except food booths

Universal is somehow doing all of these. I really can’t believe it, but it’s looking more and more like I’ll be celebrating WDWs 50th by being a Universal AP holder. WDW cannot compete with other parks on their rides alone, management is doing irreparable harm to the brand.
I’m still waiting for people to join the thread and say they never stopped to watch the shows anyway, and the night parade caused havoc, and they’d be okay with only having fireworks twice a year, and they’re perfectly happy paying the highest prices ever for less than ever, etc.

But they might not show up because Disney shut down that part of their social media team. ;)

DCLcruiser

I’m still waiting for people to join the thread and say they never stopped to watch the shows anyway, and the night parade caused havoc, and they’d be okay with only having fireworks twice a year, and they’re perfectly happy paying the highest prices ever for less than ever, etc.

But they might not show up because Disney shut down that part of their social media team. ;)
I don't watch the parades, stop for the street performers or care much for the stage shows. I'm primarily there for the rides.

That being said, all of those things that I don't participate in, attract people out of the lines, which is to my benefit and add to the overall feeling at WDW. So, they will be missed in general.

kingdead

It's because nobody goes to Disney World for the rides...

Kevin_W

Correct. Disney started slicing the California-based entertainment years ago, with DCA’s street entertainment being the first casualty. Even their newest (ugly) parade comprises mostly small units and fewer performers.

Plus, Chapek infamously cut all planned entertainment for Batuu and effectively said the $9/hour CPs could tell you “Bright Suns” instead of paying for roaming street shows. And we were supposed to believe they’d still maintain the cast within a 48-hour cosplay Star Wars hotel. ;)

WDW’s cuts were coming no matter what.

We were in DHS last year and even with the cuts, during our time in Batuu we saw several roaming Stormtroopers, Rey, Kylo Ren, and some First Order people hanging by the shuttle. It really added to the atmosphere of the land.

We were there 2 weeks ago an saw 1 person standing on the catwalk above one of the starships. The difference was definitely noticeable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom