Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

The Rocketeer

Walt Disney World is my favorite place in the world, but everyday it’s more apparent that the Disney I grew up is gone. Cast Members ARE WDW. As a former CM (CP) myself, my heart breaks for everyone loosing their jobs. 4 of my old coworkers lost their positions yesterday. Cuts are nothing new, I miss The Notorious Banjo Brothers & Bob everytime I’m in Frontierland and they’ve been gone since 2016. Still this hurts badly.

wannabeBelle

They were one of the hardest hits for me along with the late Brian Staron at the Boardwalk.
Off Kilter was the first one that really affected me, followed a year later by Mulch, Sweat & Shears. Not only are they great Cast Members, they were friends too which makes is doubly hard, Everytime I walk into the Studios it seems like something is missing and the park is so lifeless without the energy that was there before. It might have been more than just Mulch, but the loss of the entertainment solidifies it for me. Marie

wannabeBelle

The part that I think hurts most of all is that we KNOW that Disney can do better, because they HAVE. Disney didnt raise the bar, they set the standard and that was the Disney Difference. Disney had entertainment in their parks of every type and variety. Things you may not have been able to see anywhere else, and certainly not all together in one spot!!! As far as the CM's please everyone say a prayer for all of them who are affected and take stock of your own blessings and be grateful for them. I know I will be doing so!!! Marie

Mike B

I hate saying this and people don't like to hear it, but Disney has already learned and seen that plenty of guests will still come and spend plenty of money at their properties without these very costly shows running. After a couple weeks of some guests complaining, most guests will totally forget about the shows and go about doing all the other attractions. It's the same cycle no matter what Disney eliminates, but the attendance numbers don't take a hit because of it. It's unfortunate, but true. Whether it be price increases or eliminations, people come no matter what. I think Disney will test the waters with this to see if it's even worth ever bringing back the expensive big live shows.

TrainsOfDisney

I hate saying this and people don't like to hear it, but Disney has already learned and seen that plenty of guests will still come and spend plenty of money at their properties without these very costly shows running. After a couple weeks of some guests complaining, most guests will totally forget about the shows and go about doing all the other attractions. It's the same cycle no matter what Disney eliminates, but the attendance numbers don't take a hit because of it. It's unfortunate, but true. Whether it be price increases or eliminations, people come no matter what. I think Disney will test the waters with this to see if it's even worth ever bringing back the expensive big live shows.
Welcome new member! Interesting first post :)

crispy

-No live entertainment
-No new attractions
-No night shows
-No seasonal events except food booths

Universal is somehow doing all of these. I really can’t believe it, but it’s looking more and more like I’ll be celebrating WDWs 50th by being a Universal AP holder. WDW cannot compete with other parks on their rides alone, management is doing irreparable harm to the brand.
Same here. We bought one of the 15 month passes for Universal for a trip in November. They seem to want my business.

Disney is a creative company, but their only solution is to cut, cut, cut. This is a time to be creative. Sure, there would still need to be layoffs, but there have to be ways to mitigate some of this. Universal offered 15 month passes at a discount and added their haunted houses to the parks even though they had to cancel HHN. Dollywood (where we are season passholders) offered to extend our passes for the price of one day's admission. Someone mentioned that Knott's Berry Farm has events even if they can't open their rides. Disney has done nothing at all as far as I can tell. No discounts, no special events, nothing. That's why I suspect that they are taking advantage of the panic to accelerate their long range plans.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Lol, Thank you. I didn't intend for it to be confrontational in nature at all, and hopefully folks don't take it that way. Just an observation I've had for a long time. Happy to be here :)
It’s not confrontational just an interesting first post. Do you visit the parks often?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom