Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

TrainsOfDisney

This is why i want to be my own boss, I got a similar letter and that just shows you that you are just a number to any corporation, doesn‘t matter what you do, they will separate and move on, fill your position up fast and be business as usual. That’s what gave me a different perspective on life.
Same. I can make more money, choose which jobs to take, and know that I’ll never fire myself, even though I deserve it sometimes :p

But it’s still a shame Disney is choosing to treat people this way. It’s also really odd that people in this thread are defending it, but that’s what make the world go around.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They won’t even be able to staff a parade with so many more entertainment layoffs.

They only need 12 people for a cavalcade. Four dancers up front and behind and four on the float. As soon as one cavalcade ends, they quick-change for the next float and head out!

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I work in HR and have have been involved in terminations and mass layoffs. Of course, the legal aspects need to be covered, but this was a terrible send-off. A letter thanking them for their service with a separate legal notification would have made a lot of difference and would cost them nothing.
People are acting like this letter is the only communication any of these employees have had... it’s not. This was the formality after the news was already delivered

LSLS

Once again, this isn't a handful of employees this is 28,000 people! I suppose it would be good for the ego if they had taken that "boiler plate" letter and put everyone's name on it separately, but really you are taking personally what is definable business issue with a definable reason other then poor management. How long would it take to personalize every letter. By the time you would get it, it would give you no time to take any action that might be necessary to your survival. I suppose it is nice to think that Disney, or any other company for that matter, owe you a living for absolutely no services received, but reality has to tell you that it is an unrealistic request considering the circumstances. Not only would they have to personalize 28,000 letters but it would be added to 28,000 envelopes as well bringing the total up to 56,000 names and addresses. Postage alone is pushing $28,000. No one is getting laid off until the end of the year, that give two months to at least try and find alternate employment. When you are working, Disney owes you a living wage, when you are not they actually owe you nothing at all. They could legally tell you today to be gone by tomorrow.

My 70 year old father retired 6 years ago. He was a high up at a major bank (not in IT and no computer science background) and he laughed that even he knew how to make the contact name appear on an email and have a signature.

LSLS

So where does the buck stop with the actual letter sent? If Josh isn't to blame for the decision to lay off, does he get any heat for the letter sent out? I honestly have no opinion of the guy, but I do know what would be said if this all happened a year ago which chapek in that position, and it wouldn't be "He had no choice, it came from above."

Brian

That is the part that has not happened. There has been no human factor for the thousands who were emailed this week. Nothing.
Exactly.

In fact, to add to the impersonal and distinctly "unmagical" method by which they went about this, inquiring minds were able to find out if they were laid off or not before these emails even went yesterday. The company released a list with the names of all the CMs they intend to lay off to the STCU affiliates (as required by the contract) about two weeks ago, and one union posted it to their website.

Can you imagine finding out you're being laid off from a list of names in a PDF file on a third party's website?

flynnibus

Premium Member
That is the part that has not happened. There has been no human factor for the thousands who were emailed this week. Nothing.

there wasn’t any news from management before this?

there wasn’t any communication from their union reps before this?

I don’t think so

flynnibus

Premium Member
Really of all the things to be upset about.., this is the most petty thing.

like putting the name on the letter would have made the person feel better about getting it?

truth is ... think more that this is a scenario where people went through all this just remote. No face to face with leaders... no one on ones. Just being addressed as a large group, enmass, remotely. That’s the sad part.

I doubt most of the cube dwellers got it that bad.

transition is where you try to support your employees... and when you have no familiar helping hands there... that is when it is cold and difficult. It’s way harder when an entire chain of command is wiped out vs when it’s just individuals.

Last edited:

kingdead

Exactly.

In fact, to add to the impersonal and distinctly "unmagical" method by which they went about this, inquiring minds were able to find out if they were laid off or not before these emails even went yesterday. The company released a list with the names of all the CMs they intend to lay off to the STCU affiliates (as required by the contract) about two weeks ago, and one union posted it to their website.

Can you imagine finding out you're being laid off from a list of names in a PDF file on a third party's website?
Better to find out earlier then later. Gives you more time to react...

Parker in NYC

Being cute doesn't mean someone is a great man. Ted Bundy was attractive yet he was a serial killer. Josh did great things at WDW but it is naive to think it was all because he is a "good man"; it was all to fabricate this "Man of the People" image. He is not above criticism. Some of y'all need to see a mental health professional about this adoration of Disney Company bigwigs, it's not healthy.
You'll notice I called it a minus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom