Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

UNCgolf

On a side note, I am hearing that there were plans to do a large scale cutback prior to COVID.

This is what I (and others) have been saying. They wanted to eliminate a bunch of these jobs anyways; COVID just made it easier/accelerated the timeline.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Disneyland security guards, attraction operators and meet-and-greet characters are among the thousands of employees at the Anaheim theme park swept up in the massive layoffs coming to the Disney parks division.

Disney has notified Teamsters Local 495 and the Independent Employee Service Association that its Disneyland and Disney California Adventure employees will absorb more than 1,800 of the 28,000 layoffs coming to the Disney Parks, Entertainment and Products division, according to the unions and published reports."

Lilofan

This is what I (and others) have been saying. They wanted to eliminate a bunch of these jobs anyways; COVID just made it easier/accelerated the timeline.
Also Josh, the new parks and resorts chairman used covid, the frustration with the CA governor to not open DLR among other reasons for the layoffs.

Brer Oswald

Yes, that was the gist of the question. For the layoffs in Orlando, what are they blaming those on so they don't look like the bad guys since they can't blame the permissive FL government in Orlando.
From what I’ve seen, most articles are focused on Disneyland. So they aren’t blaming anyone in Florida. More or less repeatedly throwing the stone at the pile of leaves in California

Walt d

Is this including castmembers who have already returned to work or just those still furloughed? I read the statement and I don't quite know still.

It's awful all around but can you imagine going back only to be told 'never mind' a few months later?
Yes this is a bum deal, for sure. Sorry for all involved. Not the happiest place on earth anymore!

Lilofan

National has it too. Emerald Isle. Free memebership. Keys are in the car.
I noticed that come to think of it. The long line of guests were waiting to go to the kiosks near one rental counter to sign in/log in. It perhaps depends if one is lucky and no line then it's easy to get rental vehicle.

MrHappy

Probably late to reply, but it pains them to go against the bubble strategy they've been taken over the last year and half. Good for the rental car companies....maybe they'll do away with the overnight parking fees (hahahahah, right).
For me, the luggage service added to magical express sealed me in the Disney bubble. Without the luggage service, ME is just a well themed airport shuttle with a generally long and slow route. We are renting a car on our trip later this month. First time in years we are getting a car. Much less likely to spend all of our time on property with a car.

They are saving on labor but risk losing people to other destinations during their trip with moves like this.

tirian

Yes, that was the gist of the question. For the layoffs in Orlando, what are they blaming those on so they don't look like the bad guys since they can't blame the permissive FL government in Orlando.
Official PR spin is focusing on DL’s closure, Covid in general, and reduced film income. Obviously, all of those made a huge impact, but Disney certainly won’t admit they’d already been planning to downsize for almost 18 months. Most blame is now being shifted to California’s policies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom