Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

SirWillow

Seems like Frozen and Magical Map at the DLR are toast. 214 AGVA members (the equivalent of WDW “Equity”) are being laid off.

These are the kinds of cuts that I imagine (hope) are temporary because of what happens. Even if the parks reopen, it's likely those shows would not because of spacing and covid restrictions. It's hard to say when Disney might be able to have theater shows in the CA parks again. But there will come a point when they can, and at that point then they'll start rehiring for those spots.

It's just hard to say when that will be.

Ldno

So are they trying to set a radius from the parks that could attend them in the first place? So much Avengers Campus I guess

SirWillow

I'll believe it when I see it come from the Gov. office itself. Otherwise it's just another one to add to all of the false rumors so far that have said he or Disneyland were announcing something.

Not to be the downer, just trying to be realistic, as this wouldn't gel with everything else he's been saying up to this point.

And the radius thing seems like it's absolutely impossible to enforce in any way at all.

oceanbreeze77

I'll believe it when I see it come from the Gov. office itself. Otherwise it's just another one to add to all of the false rumors so far that have said he or Disneyland were announcing something.

Not to be the downer, just trying to be realistic, as this wouldn't gel with everything else he's been saying up to this point.

And the radius thing seems like it's absolutely impossible to enforce in any way at all.
I feel like we are missing what tier theme parks belong in

SamusAranX

not really. When you buy Florida resident passes/ticket specials you are required to bring proof of address. They could easily have a list of zip codes within say 300 miles for the ticket window employee to cross reference

ThatMouse

While we are blaming and explaining and painting bleak pictures, myself included, the most important thing is that we help motivate our CM's dealing with a lay off. I suspect a large percentage are not experts at job search and interviews and may read all the pessimistic and political views and just go "well it looks like there are no jobs so it's a waste of time to look!" A lot of people will be going on welfare and retiring early and cashing in social security early.

When you see someone on facebook or reddit, share your success stories and help motivate them to keep looking. I got laid off a few times and every time I was hired at some of the worst times in our economy and with a decent pay increase. Once I was hired during Christmas week! Don't slack off during the holidays. For a lot of companies the holidays are slow because everyone's on vacation.

SirWillow

not really. When you buy Florida resident passes/ticket specials you are required to bring proof of address. They could easily have a list of zip codes within say 300 miles for the ticket window employee to cross reference
If someone shows up at the turnstiles with tickets in hand, that turnstile person is not likely to be checking if it's in radius or not on a list. And they're even less likely to be turning someone away if it isn't.

Tickets would be sold online, and it's not hard at all to get around location things there. Then all the CM at the turnstile is going to be doing is checking to see if the names match. Not sending away paid guests.

SamusAranX

If someone shows up at the turnstiles with tickets in hand, that turnstile person is not likely to be checking if it's in radius or not on a list. And they're even less likely to be turning someone away if it isn't.

Tickets would be sold online, and it's not hard at all to get around location things there. Then all the CM at the turnstile is going to be doing is checking to see if the names match. Not sending away paid guests.

When you buy tickets or a new annual pass online, at least for the Florida resident specials, even though you had your “ticket” you were required to go to the ticket window on your first visit and provide proof of address. Otherwise when they went to scan the ticket or magic band it didn’t work. It would take logistics but it could in theory work

UNCgolf

I know someone who purchased Canadian discount tickets for WDW. Before she could use the tickets, she had to go to guest services with her Canadian passport to prove she actually lived in Canada. The tickets are essentially locked and won't show up as valid if you try to use them in the park before verifying them with guest services.

Last edited:

Space Mountain

DVC only resorts, or regular resort ops leaders at resorts with DVC wings? That comment chain was specifically referring to the DVC side of things.

EDIT: Genuinely curious, not trying to suggest you're wrong. More data is always a good thing for stuff like this.
I know of All Star, Pop, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Coronado, Polynesian, and Port Orleans. Mix of working/furloughed leaders.

note2001

Universal/comcast would be smart to grab up the wonderful entertainers as they exit their Disney severance agreements. Just not sure they want to invest in themselves at this time.

EricsBiscuit

Universal/comcast would be smart to grab up the wonderful entertainers as they exit their Disney severance agreements. Just not sure they want to invest in themselves at this time.
Uni has some great talent of their own. Not sure their union would be happy about an influx of new performers.

oceanbreeze77

Based on what I have read today, and how widespread the layoffs seem, I am going to say that regardless of DL being open or not, 28,000 jobs is a definite number. They wouldn't have already made SO MANY phone calls if they were bluffing.

lazyboy97o

I know someone who purchased Canadian discount tickets for WDW. Before she could use the tickets, she had to go to guest services with an ID to prove she actually lived in Canada. The tickets are essentially locked and won't show up as valid if you try to use them in the park before verifying them with guest services.
It’s possible to spoof your address but I doubt it’s a widespread issue. At the very least the parks would likely only have to make a good faith effort, not a truly foolproof system.

UNCgolf

It’s possible to spoof your address but I doubt it’s a widespread issue. At the very least the parks would likely only have to make a good faith effort, not a truly foolproof system.

Right, it could be done if someone was really desperate to do it. But it wouldn't be a widespread problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom