Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

TrainsOfDisney

Unfortunately, modern Disney audiences have been far to eager to accept this premise too.
Yes and no. Did the Disney public accept Pixar pier? To an extent. But they had already fixed so much of California adventure including adding midway mania to the the pier that the cheap additions didn’t stick out the same way.

The modern Disney audience did not accept California adventure 1.0 for example.

UNCgolf

Yes and no. Did the Disney public accept Pixar pier? To an extent. But they had already fixed so much of California adventure including adding midway mania to the the pier that the cheap additions didn’t stick out the same way.

The modern Disney audience did not accept California adventure 1.0 for example.

Can they still be called the modern Disney audience? That was almost 20 years ago. Plus, it was in California, which has tended to draw a different type of customer than WDW.

JohnD

Sad to hear. The only thing I can do to help in this situation is keep my trip which starts in 19 days. But this year was a revenue buster regardless. First being closed for several months. Then opening but with limited experiences. Then after opening, guests making individual decisions on whether to go or not. Many put off going. I can't blame them. All of this combined led to a big hit.

Rteetz

Here's the OCR story -

"The WARN Act filings also included 411 layoffs at Walt Disney Imagineering in Glendale."

My understanding is not all of these are full time WDI employees but also includes contractors they had hired and people who were on work hiatuses.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lol. Put in applications to where?
That’s always the issue on I-4 when the damn breaks.
I'm not in Orlando so don't know. There are still jobs out there, possibly harder to get into due to the amount of people applying but it's not completely non-existent. Would you rather them have been given 24hrs notice?
Are there?
279 from DVC laid off.
Not to joke (here goes)...but is the genius that thought Caribbean was a good spot in there?
How about the one that failed to build that canal I was promised?
It's funny because you hear more and more anecdotal evidence from reliable park watchers that the parks feel more crowded and busier every week. Yet no change in park reservation system, and people in the know say that no increase in attendance caps have been made.
Follow the money...or lack of thereof...
For those not sure about their job: Don't listen to these comments. There are many jobs out there even in a down economy. Many times you will find a new job that pays higher. Keep at it.
Ever been in Orlando in a deep recession (I hope it’s only)?
The news of the layoffs was not taken as good news for the stock. The market’s view from this is that Disney is doing worse than they are letting on and that internally Disney believes the recovery is going to be long since they let go so many people. The market was up big today but Disney was one of the few stocks down.
Meh...minor dip. Disney will be REWARDED for the layoffs by next week. My prediction.
I know these layoffs are employees that are not necessary due to lack of demand/work outside of the resorts themselves, but I wonder if this is a foreshadowing on significant increases in dues. Outside of higher cleaning costs, there is also decrease in rentals, and I believe additional costs associated with wage adjustments mandated by States for unemployment etc. are passed on to owners.
I would imagine it’s more sales/logistics/etc. probably a chunk of management too
Well, there's late breaking news the the House has agreed to hold off for another day on voting on the Democratic stimulus proposal in order to give Pelosi and Mnuchin more time to agree to a bill. So maybe we'll still see something tomorrow? Who knows at this point.
The grand game is really being played there. More layers to that onion than can be counted.
Some of the last big-name imagineers went out the door today...

Any specifics?
That’s what I’m wondering...that’s a hell of an ambiguous “dart” to throw.

lazyboy97o

My understanding is not all of these are full time WDI employees but also includes contractors they had hired and people who were on work hiatuses.
Why would they have to fill out a WARN for contractors?
Contractors aren’t part of the notices because they’re not employees. We saw this after the opening of Shanghai Disneyland where some large number of “Imagineers” were let go but the WARN notice was significantly smaller. The difference was contractors and project-specific hires whose term had ended.

TrainsOfDisney

I know within WDI some are hired on a project by project basis rather than a full time full titled position within WDI.
They are either contractors or employees though. Contractors wouldn’t be included in the 400. I’m not trying to nit-pick on words though.

And honestly it doesn’t matter, people out of work are people out work. I don’t feel more sorry for yeehaw Bob then I do for the French chefs or Japanese Drummers. They are all talented people that Disney cut in a cold hearted and short sided way.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This isn't the time to further an agenda about the parks. Approximately 400 people just lost what was possibly their dream job due to circumstances out of their control.
They did...there’s no way to put a positive spin on it.

For us...it indicates imagineering will be “restricted” for some time. Which hurts the internal morale and gives the customers less to look forward to.

Sad.

Disney Analyst

They did...there’s no way to put a positive spin on it.

For us...it indicates imagineering will be “restricted” for some time. Which hurts the internal morale and gives the customers less to look forward to.

Sad.
I'd argue we've known since March that things would be restricted for a long time to come. Once this virus is behind us, I certainly hope many talented people will be hired back and progress can continue....

SoFloMagic

Why? There hasn’t been a Covid spike tied to any open theme parks in America so far. That should have been the green light for CA, seeing how it can certainly be open safely with minimal Covid spread.
Just an FYI... Florida doesn't do contact tracing, so it's gonna he hard to pin a spike on a Florida business.
That said, California seems to be following the advice of public health experts, waiting til its actually objectively safe to open so they can truly open.

If anything, Orlando's half-assed opening has cemented the need to cost-cut.

techgeek

Sad.

In terms of project pipelines... I see this particular cut as telegraphing the company’s intentions for new experiences in the foreseeable future. Not only does this affect the projects of ‘today’ that we already know are cut, this sets development and blue sky planning back years, stalling ‘tomorrow’s’ projects from getting the green light.

Guardians, Rat, and Tron better have some staying power, because I fear those are the last new major attractions we’re going to see in Orlando for a long time.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Guardians, Rat, and Tron better have some staying power, because I fear those are the last new major attractions we’re going to see in Orlando for a long time.
At least we got some small film Epcot updates before this all happened... With Canada, China(?), and Awesome Planet. I could have seen those sitting for another 10 years unchanged.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom