Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

maxairmike

Resort ops is not safe. Some leaders have been called today that have already been working.

DVC only resorts, or regular resort ops leaders at resorts with DVC wings? That comment chain was specifically referring to the DVC side of things.

EDIT: Genuinely curious, not trying to suggest you're wrong. More data is always a good thing for stuff like this.

Last edited:

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I think it’s safer than other forms of entertainment. It’s a paid (and therefore income-generating) show rather than a complimentary experience, and it has its own dedicated building.

So is/was Spirit of Aloha. Only difference being the majority of the Poly is closed until 2021

TrainsOfDisney

I think it’s safer than other forms of entertainment. It’s a paid (and therefore income-generating) show rather than a complimentary experience, and it has its own dedicated building.
The same could be said for the Polynesian dinner show which has been reported (but I’m not sure confirmed?) to have been cut as well.

Patcheslee

About 6,700 Walt Disney World non-union employees are losing their jobs in December, Disney alerted the state after the company announced massive layoffs Tuesday when the market closed.

"The notice to the state is the first indicator of how many Orlando employees are affected. The layoffs begin Dec. 4."

If anything hopefully this has given some employees time to save if they can. Or start putting in applications that come through. Terrible time of year to have their livelihoods impacted.

LittleBuford

So is/was Spirit of Aloha. Only difference being the majority of the Poly is closed until 2021
The same could be said for the Polynesian dinner show which has been reported (but I’m not sure confirmed?) to have been cut as well.
I meant in the long term. Some shows and acts may never be brought back or replaced, whereas others—especially those that have dedicated spaces and generate income—are likely to return in some form or other when things start getting back to normal.

Disstevefan1

The majority of the layoffs will be at WDW.

You really think there has been adequate contact tracing to prove that?

And you would probably be right, but the question was whether there would be layoffs if Disneyland were open and the answer is yes. These layoffs are being made with the understanding that in the longer term, their volume (attendance) will not support having additional Cast Members with no work to do.
Of the 28000 layoffs, 6700 are WDW

bluetiedye

Of the 28000 layoffs, 6700 are WDW
The 6,700 number only refers to the number of non-union employees being laid off at WDW.

From the Orlando Sentinel:

“It’s possibly only the start of layoffs as the company is beginning to negotiate cuts with its unions that represent Equity Disney performers, hotel housekeepers, ride attendants and others.“

Lilofan

The 6,700 number only refers to the number of non-union employees being laid off at WDW.

From the Orlando Sentinel:

“It’s possibly only the start of layoffs as the company is beginning to negotiate cuts with its unions that represent Equity Disney performers, hotel housekeepers, ride attendants and others.“
WDW is following the WARN act law of 1988 to warn the state in advance of mass layoffs 60 days prior so it makes sense 6,700 non union staff will lose their jobs starting Dec 4.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom