Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

el_super

This feels like to me it’s in response to the governor of CA not allowing Disneyland to open. It seems to me it will mostly effect Disneyland since there is no plan to reopen Disneyland.

The majority of the layoffs will be at WDW.

Why? There hasn’t been a Covid spike tied to any open theme parks in America so far. That should have been the green light for CA, seeing how it can certainly be open safely with minimal Covid spread.

You really think there has been adequate contact tracing to prove that?

Really? I have a hard time imagine a non-Covid-19 world where Disney announces it’s laying off 1/4 of its domestic workforce.

And you would probably be right, but the question was whether there would be layoffs if Disneyland were open and the answer is yes. These layoffs are being made with the understanding that in the longer term, their volume (attendance) will not support having additional Cast Members with no work to do.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And you would probably be right, but the question was whether there would be layoffs if Disneyland were open and the answer is yes. These layoffs are being made with the understanding that in the longer term, their volume (attendance) will not support having additional Cast Members with no work to do.

Stock companies are rewarded for layoffs.

It’s no longer “lack of production potential”...it’s “eliminating longterm liabilities/obligations and streamlining inefficiencies”

Neutron Jack Welch eliminated 185,000 jobs in the 80s/90s and GE did record profits.

Now it’s done. If you believe in “coincidences”

el_super

If Dislneyand opens there would still be layoffs but probably not 28,000

It's probably public by now, but the Disneyland foods union is reducing their staff by about 30%, which means they are keeping (for now) almost 70% of their staff, with exactly 0 work to do. They are not cutting people they think they will need to reopen the park, so I have to assume that number is fairly similar to the number they expect to operate it in the long term.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's probably public by now, but the Disneyland foods union is reducing their staff by about 30%, which means they are keeping (for now) almost 70% of their staff, with exactly 0 work to do. They are not cutting people they think they will need to reopen the park, so I have to assume that number is fairly similar to the number they expect to operate it in the long term.
Exactly...it’s trimming the “fat”

I’m shocked at the lack of general understanding of how disney operates in Anaheim...just like the Orlando fans can’t seem to understand that wdw can’t make a dime without the northeast/uppermidwest??

It’s mind blowing 🤯

LSLS

Really? I have a hard time imagine a non-Covid-19 world where Disney announces it’s laying off 1/4 of its domestic workforce. Sure, I can imagine SOME layoffs to trim the proverbial fat, but there’s no way Disney would have had to let THAT many people go if there had been no virus and the parks were open as usual.

The only problem is most of what we are reading is this is not temporary, this is permanent restructuring.

natatomic

The only problem is most of what we are reading is this is not temporary, this is permanent restructuring.
Well, sure. But the after effects of the virus are going to be felt for a long time. Years, possibly. A lot of restructuring probably would have happened anyway, but I think a majority of it is happening because they know that they’re gonna HAVE to figure how to operate more efficiently. Again, I just can’t imagine Disney making record breaking profits and firing THAT many people had there been no virus. That would have been horrible PR.

EPCOT-O.G.

I know the focus has been on WDW and DL proper in terms of these layoffs, but I still cannot stop thinking of all the second degree and indirect losses from a DL shutdown/WDW Orlando slowdown. All of the industries and workers that are reliant on the WDW and DL economic activity. The bus drivers no longer needed. Non WDW resort hotels that have virtually no occupancy anymore. Restaurants, shops, travel agents. It’s overwhelming.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wasn't aware the they broke out percentage of layoffs per coast.

Not that this doesn't affect WDW, but it would certainly make more sense to make the layoffs of the furloughed at the closed park that doesn't have any time frame for reopening.
Sadly...I think this is not the end of that.
I know the focus has been on WDW and DL proper in terms of these layoffs, but I still cannot stop thinking of all the second degree and indirect losses from a DL shutdown/WDW Orlando slowdown. All of the industries and workers that are reliant on the WDW and DL economic activity. The bus drivers no longer needed. Non WDW resort hotels that have virtually no occupancy anymore. Restaurants, shops, travel agents. It’s overwhelming.
That’s the deal in travel areas...absolutely wrecked in recessions. Remember that travel is the easiest thing to eliminate. It’s unnecessary and fairly painless.

How’s vegas doing right about now? Manhattan? The Caribbean?

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Just from what is being posted publicly, if it stays about 30% across the board, that would be about 10,000 CMs from Disneyland and 20,000 from WDW (give or take some corp/WDI jobs).

Per @wdwmagic

"Walt Disney World currently employs approximately 70,000, with Disneyland Resort employing around 30,000. It isn't yet clear how the layoffs will be distributed across the two coasts."

Lilofan

There could be a lot of Disney memorabilia being sold online as laid off staff try to come up with cash.

Plowboy

Is Hoop Dee Doo safe??
I would have to think with the current management regime in place that no one/nothing is safe. The direction Disney has taken recently getting rid of "live entertainment" is absolutely terrible. It all started with Off Kilter, Fife and Drum, Mo Rockin', the Japanese drummers, the British Invasion, etc. Now it's The Grand Floridian Orchestra and Yehaa Bob Jackson. What's next, the German band at Oktoberfest, the Liberty Singers, the Concert Series at the Festivals, Festival of the Lion King? If Disney doesn't think that this is huge to customers, they're absolutely clueless.

Lilofan

I would have to think with the current management regime in place that no one/nothing is safe. The direction Disney has taken recently getting rid of "live entertainment" is absolutely terrible. It all started with Off Kilter, Fife and Drum, Mo Rockin', the Japanese drummers, the British Invasion, etc. Now it's The Grand Floridian Orchestra and Yehaa Bob Jackson. What's next, the German band at Oktoberfest, the Liberty Singers, the Concert Series at the Festivals, Festival of the Lion King? If Disney doesn't think that this is huge to customers, they're absolutely clueless.
On NYE, is it just going to be recorded music in the background to wish the guests a happy New year?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom