Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

natatomic

I can’t speak for him, but maybe he was looking at it through the lens of part-timers being more likely to still have health insurance through a significant other or parent or some other means, whereas most full-timers about to be let go are about to lose their health coverage. And part-timers might also be more likely to be people who don’t rely on their Disney job for their main source of income compared to full-timers. Not making blanket statements, I know there are exceptions.
But I was part-time for 5 years, and I went seasonal right before the virus hit, but even if I was still part-time, me being let go would have much less of an impact than if my full-time husband was let go. Anecdotal, I know, but I’m sure it’s similar for many.
So maybe that’s what he meant? Not that part-timers were less deserving or less important, but maybe just that full-timers can, potentially, have a lot more to lose?

MurphyJoe

Why no cuts at the parks overseas? This sucks for all affected. I get the business side but this is sad.

Besides the different labor laws, Disney might decide to take the loss on Paris in an attempt to hit the attendance numbers required for the governmental okay concerning a third gate there after losing the additional land in HK.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I can’t speak for him, but maybe he was looking at it through the lens of part-timers being more likely to still have health insurance through a significant other or parent or some other means, whereas most full-timers about to be let go are about to lose their health coverage. And part-timers might also be more likely to be people who don’t rely on their Disney job for their main source of income compared to full-timers. Not making blanket statements, I know there are exceptions.
But I was part-time for 5 years, and I went seasonal right before the virus hit, but even if I was still part-time, me being let go would have much less of an impact than if my full-time husband was let go. Anecdotal, I know, but I’m sure it’s similar for many.
So maybe that’s what he meant? Not that part-timers were less deserving or less important, but maybe just that full-timers can, potentially, have a lot more to lose?
I've been in a department that was cut by 91%... nobody was "just" anything except to the statisticians who prepared the demographics report.

flynnibus

Premium Member
FWIW, Disney executives are really not acting in good faith here. They ended their executive pay cuts back in August (https://deadline.com/2020/08/disney-fox-coronavirus-pay-reductions-restored-1203018873/amp/) and went ahead with their $1.5bil dividend payout to shareholders (https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-04-19/disney-stops-paying-100000-workers). And I'm saying this as I'm waiting to hear back from my CM (Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique) friend as to whether or not she still has a job.

Paying out a one time dividend really is a completely different topic than the idea of 'keeping a large workforce perpetually for a business that doesn't exist... now or for the forseeable future'

Disney's business has changed - their operations need to change to align to it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
DVC should not be impacted. Owners cover the expenses for housekeeping, maintenance, emergencies etc. What might happen is if they're digging into the resorts that share resources with a hotel we may see some of those staffed positions eliminated or reduced.

Here's hoping this temporary workforce reduction is just that, temporary.

More like.. 'DVC for owners' should not be impacted. DVC is not just about running what is already in place though... There is a huge portion of DVC that is about developing, marketing, and selling DVC.

But also, DVC has a fixed budget and is paying for many things.. including from Disney. Nothing to say Disney's business agreements and terms will stay stable and thus could have reverberations into the DVC services for owners too.

Owner paid services at DVC are not some island...

techgeek

We all knew this was coming, in one form or another... but the numbers are a gut check and quite higher than I would have guessed. Today will long be a dark day in Disney history. There will be a recovery, of course, but moments like this are a vivid reminder that things can never quite be the same again.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 11.09.06 PM.png

Slpy3270

We all knew this was coming, in one form or another... but the numbers are a gut check and quite higher than I would have guessed. Today will long be a dark day in Disney history. There will be a recovery, of course, but moments like this are a vivid reminder that things can never quite be the same again.

If the last decade or so thought us anything, people will likely forget about it in two years or so, especially if the economy goes back to normal by then. For Disney it will be back to making $60-70 billion a year.

This is more of a speed bump more than a pivotal moment a la Germany invading Poland.

Dan Deesnee

It's awful news. But it's simply too unsafe to travel right now and we must keep everyone safe.

Many, many hundreds of thousands more, if not millions, will loose their jobs at other large companies in the next year I fear. The economic damage will ripple through the economy for a while.

ThatMouse

So I guess the stimulus ran out and Disney is starting the permanent cuts for real? This can only be the first of several layoffs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom