Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Some quite Googling brought up an article saying they furloughed 43,000 just at World way back in March. So this is pretty substantial (and is really insane considering college program and international program are not included in the totals).
That was 43k union workers

A good number of those were later brought back however.

RichKermitFan

****es me off to see this when right down the road, Universal is packing the gates. The demand is there. Yes, I know that Disney relies far less on locals than Universal, but still. They've tried almost nothing.
In what world are you seeing Universal
Packing the gates? They’ve been absolutely a ghost town and have laid off quite a number of employees already.
I didn't say record profits, I said they are operating with crowds that are only slightly smaller than what would have been considered normal a year ago. They made the wise choice to embrace the locals.
The crowds are not “slightly smaller”. The crowds are significantly smaller. Not to mention a complete loss of the added profits of HHN. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Tom Morrow

In what world are you seeing Universal
Packing the gates? They’ve been absolutely a ghost town and have laid off quite a number of employees already.

The crowds are not “slightly smaller”. The crowds are significantly smaller. Not to mention a complete loss of the added profits of HHN. You don’t know what you’re talking about.
This has not been true since mid-August when Universal introduced the buy a day, get the rest of the year ticket. Now, queues are spilling into the walkways and hour waits are the norm.

Lilofan

Sad news. I also feel a bit bad for Josh picking up this position at this moment in time. He truly has great potential to do good in the company but is currently burdened by the difficulties of this pandemic.
Part of the job. It's not all magical. He is part of the team that makes the tough decisions that affect peoples lives. I'm curious if Wall Street applauds Disney for re-.org of the company to make it leaner.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Glad to see the mods are censoring any criticism directed towards the CA government and their policies forcing Disney to close while allowing other theme parks in the area to operate unbothered, I'm sure that had no effect on all these layoffs........
The mods - me, is trying to keep this thread on topic for cast members and those who are looking for info on their livelihoods. Getting the thread bogged down with politics and theories does not help with that aim. There are plenty of threads to do that in.

wishiwere@wdw

I didn't say record profits, I said they are operating with crowds that are only slightly smaller than what would have been considered normal a year ago. They made the wise choice to embrace the locals.
Correct. There have been countless local offers and they’re working. We’re actually considering taking advantage of the hotel discount for a quick staycation. Maybe take advantage of the 30% off dining opportunities while there. They are profitable. Right now that’s all that matters as they can keep team members employed and be ready for when things inevitably ramp back up. Full disclosure... it hasn’t been without pain either but at least they’re trying and making progress!

asianway

The mods - me, is trying to keep this thread on topic for cast members and those who are looking for info on their livelihoods. Getting the thread bogged down with politics and theories does not help with that aim. There are plenty of threads to do that in.
Any inkling of the CA/FL split? @pheneix

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This has not been true since mid-August when Universal introduced the buy a day, get the rest of the year ticket. Now, queues are spilling into the walkways and hour waits are the norm.
That type of situation is not generating enough revenues and profits...that’s the point of the parks.

They will slash/cut/lay-off as long as out of state travel is crushed. No matter how many people from BVL show up

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom