Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

denyuntilcaught

I've supported Newsom through a majority of his leadership, including through the pandemic (to which, a majority of Californian's give Newsom high marks on his pandemic leadership according to a UC Berkeley poll released today.)

Despite that, I've always found his leadership for the state's theme parks to be a bizarre blindspot. He has sincerely dragged his feet bringing to the table guidelines and timelines for Disney, and now TWDC did what they had to do.

Shame.

Communicora

Premium Member
This was coming before Disneylands closure became so protracted. Mentioning it in public is just another thinly veiled swipe.

Yeah. I am unimpressed with how they included that in the statement.

I feel terrible for these employees and hope they are able to find satisfying employment soon. It's really hard to go through a layoff during a poor time in the economy. I've experienced it myself and it was grim.

DGracey

"we believe that the steps we are taking will enable us to emerge a more effective and efficient operation when we return to normal."​

That is the major takeaway, here.

This is not temporary, only because of current circumstances.

They have been aiming to be "more effective and efficient" for awhile.

When attendance returns to "normal" (their words), Disney Parks will remain "efficient" with far, far fewer cast members.

This is a permanent, full-scale restructuring of the entire parks and resorts division.

Brian

"Sorry we must let go the employees...ya know the castle might look good painted pink..."

"We are losing money!...Why isn't Moana in the Polynesian?"

Feel like Jim Gaffigan should have at this.

Don't forget about the $5 million to black lives matter and $5 million to COVID relief. I wonder how many jobs could have been saved had it not been for those exorbitant donations, considering how little front-line cast are paid?

EdnaMode

That is the major takeaway, here.

This is not temporary, only because of current circumstances.

They have been aiming to be "more effective and efficient" for awhile.

When attendance returns to "normal" (their words), Disney Parks will remain "efficient" with far, far fewer cast members.

This is a permanent, full-scale restructuring of the entire parks and resorts division.

Not having beds made daily by housekeeping? Efficient.

Having your dinner handed to you in a paper sack? Efficient.

Having nothing to do and nowhere to go when the parks are all closed before dark? Efficient.

Are they seriously thinking we want to vacation this way permanently?

DGracey

From April 12 ...

"Mr. Iger is now intensely focused on remaking a company that will emerge, he believes, deeply changed by the crisis. The sketch he has drawn for associates offers a glimpse at the post-pandemic future: It’s a Disney with fewer employees, leading the new and uncertain business of how to gather people safely for entertainment.

Mr. Iger also sees this as a moment, he has told associates, to look across the business and permanently change how it operates. He’s told them that he anticipates ending expensive old-school television practices like advertising upfronts and producing pilots for programs that may never air. Disney is also likely to reopen with less office space. He’s also told two people that he anticipated the company having fewer employees."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom