Trip Report 28 Going on 8...A Birthday Trip!

Hi everyone! I’ve been home for a few days sorting & editing pictures and can’t wait to start sharing my latest trip:)

I’ve always wanted to spend my birthday in Disney World – who wouldn’t?! ;)
So when my sister suggested we go for my birthday instead of me flying out to Denver to visit (she just moved), I was in! Then I asked my parents if they would want to come and to my surprise…they said yes! They love Disney too, but we haven’t been as a family in a few years. It was later in the day when it hit me that they really said yes because it meant seeing my sister for the first time since she moved to Colorado :rolleyes: haha. But they really were excited to all be together and spend my birthday in Disney World too:)

We stayed Friday, July 8th to Tuesday, July 12th at Port Orleans French Quarter! My sister and I loved this resort the last time we stayed and couldn't wait for my parents to see it too, we knew they'd love the theming.

Here we are on our last family trip in April 2013

Mom- Phyllis
Me- Sam
Sister- Alyssa
Dad- Larry

There were a few hiccups in the week leading up to and day of the trip...

It was about a week before we were leaving when I found out that one of my admission guest passes was lost by a friend on our last trip. I knew I could replace it but after doing some research I found out it would take two weeks in the mail, or you could do it in person at a site in Celebration. But they close at 4 on Fridays, and I was going to be landing at 2:30, which would be cutting it too close. I decided to apply for a new pass online and hope it would come before we leave. I also started panicking about all the time I spent planning out our fastpasses and not knowing if they’d be able to be applied to a new guest pass. All was better when the new guest pass arrived a few days after I ordered the replacement and they assured me the fastpasses would transfer right over to the new pass with no issues. Crisis 1 averted!

Speaking of fastpasses…some of our fastpasses on my guest passes weren’t showing up, I called several times and everyone gave me a different answer and was told to check back in a couple days and the system should be fixed. That never happened. I was told I used all the allotments I had for my guest passes, I knew there wasn’t any truth to that, then finally a very helpful cast member made new fastpasses for those missing to match the rest of the ones on my main entrance pass. Crisis 2 averted!

And then the biggest problem…my sister flew in from Denver early on the 8th. I flew out from LaGuardia at 11, and my parents were on a 6:30pm flight from Newark. Around noon, my mom gets an email that JetBlue had cancelled their flight and put them on a new one 24 hours later. I’m on the plane and totally helpless (and freaking out). My mom was able to get them on a flight that left about 90 minutes earlier and would connect through Boston and still get in Friday night, just a few hours later. Well, that flight ends up being delayed more and more and eventually there is no way if they ever got to Boston, they wouldn’t even make their connection. So again start looking for another flight and JetBlue puts them on a 5:30am flight Saturday out of JFK. That was the best they were going to get and thankfully I live just outside of NYC so they had a place to stay overnight since jetblue wouldn’t give them a hotel or anything for transportation.
I was, and still am annoyed by the whole thing though. They blamed the weather. I’m a meteorologist. Don’t blame the weather when I see it is NOT raining at or near Newark. Of course safety is the number one priority, and if there had been storms at Newark I would completely understand. But to cancel a flight 7 hours in advance for the chance of a storm, which never happened...I just don’t get it. What is even more frustrating is that all the other airlines were flying out at the time their original flight was supposed to leave…ANYWAY knowing my parents were for sure on a flight first thing the next morning, my sister and I set out to enjoy our night together! We still felt bad they had spent all afternoon sitting around and dealing with the airport, but they were happy too just to be on a flight in the morning.

Sorry that was a lot, but NOW TO THE GOOD STUFF :)

I worked the morning before I left and when I walked into my office I was greeted with the best surprise! An early Disney princess birthday bash, complete with a blow up Mickey, princess figures lining my computer, a Frozen balloon and Disney music in the background. I’m so lucky that my coworkers are also some of my best friends. They know me very well and really got me good that morning. (ps. I’ve managed to keep those decorations up for over a week now ;) haha)

After work I raced to the airport where I learned I was upgraded to first class…woo! Then we were off to Orlando!

We landed early and I quickly made it on to the magical express and before I knew it, was looking at this!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/K5mqQ4]

Soon enough we were pulling into our home, I hopped off the bus and hustled to our room where my sister, Alyssa, was waiting! It was great to see her after being apart for 3 months, especially since we were in DISNEY! We had so much to catch up on, but had several days to do it- so we quickly changed, grabbed our ears and ran off to Magic Kingdom!

On our way to the bus we picked up a birthday button!:D:D

One of the things I was most excited to see was Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire and we needed to hurry to make the last show of the day! Those pictures coming up next :)[/url]

samantha788

Original Poster

Anna...:p

Dad really enjoyed it! Mom liked seeing it again too :)

Next we headed over to our Tower of Terror fastpass, with a photopass stop first ;)

Alyssa and I LOVE TOT. Mom and dad do not. So they walked around before going to get seats for Beauty and the Beast.
I can't find our TOT pics:(...

We still had enough time before Beauty and the Beast, so Alyssa and I cashed in mom and dad's TOT fastpasses :D

While we were away, they were taking their own photopass pics!

MegRuss626

Next we headed over to our Tower of Terror fastpass, with a photopass stop first ;)

Alyssa and I LOVE TOT. Mom and dad do not. So they walked around before going to get seats for Beauty and the Beast.

We still had enough time before Beauty and the Beast, so Alyssa and I cashed in mom and dad's TOT fastpasses :D

Love your dad's shirt!! Let's Go Pens!!!

cgersic

Oh my gosh, they are soooo cute! :)

prfctlyximprct

How cool that you caught a proposal! Ahhh what a nice man that must be!! LOL

Still loving EVERYTHING about your report! You were able to do sooo many magic shots! I am definitely asking for more this go around! And I want a bite of that cupcake... Mmmmmmm. That was one of the best breakfasts I had last trip... (shhh)

Also! I love the Electrical Parade. I feel like this parade has a lot of people who dislike it, but I love it! It's one of the things I was so in awe of when I first went to Disney World. And I could listen to the soundtrack all day. Thanks for your awesome pictures. Can I hire you for my wedding?!

samantha788

Original Poster
Love your dad's shirt!! Let's Go Pens!!!
Thanks! My sister is turning us all into pens fans :)

How cool that you caught a proposal! Ahhh what a nice man that must be!! LOL

Still loving EVERYTHING about your report! You were able to do sooo many magic shots! I am definitely asking for more this go around! And I want a bite of that cupcake... Mmmmmmm. That was one of the best breakfasts I had last trip... (shhh)

Also! I love the Electrical Parade. I feel like this parade has a lot of people who dislike it, but I love it! It's one of the things I was so in awe of when I first went to Disney World. And I could listen to the soundtrack all day. Thanks for your awesome pictures. Can I hire you for my wedding?!
I would be honored haha!
The electric parade is the best, the music automatically makes you smile & dance! :)

Your pictures are amazing! You are so talented. Looked like tons of fun!
Thank you so much! :) we had such a great time!

samantha788

Original Poster
Ah i'm so sorry, i'm falling so far behind! But, part of that is because I am planning TWO more short trips in October & November :oops::D More on those at the end :)

I found one of our TOT pics :)

After our second ride on TOT, Alyssa and I ran to meet my parents at Beauty and the Beast. My mom and I NEVER get tired of this!:inlove:
Our seats were not great for photos though. My parents got there in plenty of time, and we’ve never had a problem getting seats along the sides near the stage, but this time the entire front half was blocked off for fp+. Haven’t seen that before!

Gaston...:p

samantha788

Original Poster
We had a little more time before we needed to head to lunch, so the best thing I could make & use a fp for right away was the Muppets. I wanted to use our third thing since we were going to MK later and wanted to be able to make fp’s there.

I think it's so funny that I actually eat lunch in the real life abc commissary every day at work. This one is way cooler though since it's in Disney World:)

We got to the muppets and I realized how long this was actually going to take which would mean rushing to lunch.

After the muppets we rushed out of the park and had to wait a while for a boat.

Turtle!

When decided to save time we’d get off at the beach club stop and walk the rest of the way into EPCOT. One day i'll stay here:happy:

Dad’s the only one there at security and again randomly selected :D haha

We hurried our way into The Land for our late reservation at The Garden Grill!!:D:D

Scoppin

It had just started to rain a little and Ariel was loving it! :p

Merida loved the rain too!

Hello Prince Phillip :joyfull:

Really awesome pictures of everything. Really nice way of spending your birthday. Taking my DD and DS in September. They don't know we are going and it will be DS's birthday while we are there. This will be my first time back in almost 40 years and a lot has changed since then. Nice hearing about how things are now. For some strange reason I thought the parade started in Main Street and ended in Frontierland. I guess I was wrong. Good thing to know when we are there.

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Scoppin

OKAY, time to finish up the actual birthday :)
Starting with one of our favorite stories from the trip. At least now...not at that moment haha

It had just hit 11:00 as we were getting off it’s a small world which meant the park was now closed :cry: but we still had the electric parade! We walked over to frontierland and were basically by ourselves haha, it was so nice until the parade started and even though the entire place was open, a family came right on top of us. The nicest part was that their daughter was SCREAMING:eek: It wasn’t a it’s late, tired, cranky scream- just screaming. Nonstop screaming. And they were encouraging her and laughing. Through that we learned her name is Jas (Jasmine). The faces on all the performers in the parade too were the same reaction we had when they heard her. I can’t even describe it haha. It wasn’t funny at the time though, her stroller was right next to me and the piercing sound is embedded in my head:arghh: People had surrounded us by this point so moving wasn’t an option.

Birthday wishes from Tink! :)

Drizella's reaction to Jas yelling was so funny!

My dad wants this float in our front yard :p

We love this parade. Especially my dad and I. My sister would be happy never seeing it again:eek: haha

You really didn't have any luck with people standing by you for the parades. What is wrong with some people and what they let their kids get away with. I tell you, my two won't be acting like that. I actually mentioned something like this to my DS, his response, 'I won't do that I look around me to make sure I am not blocking anyone.' I told him I was proud of him for thinking of others.

Scoppin

We had a little more time before we needed to head to lunch, so the best thing I could make & use a fp for right away was the Muppets. I wanted to use our third thing since we were going to MK later and wanted to be able to make fp’s there.

I think it's so funny that I actually eat lunch in the real life abc commissary every day at work. This one is way cooler though since it's in Disney World:)

We got to the muppets and I realized how long this was actually going to take which would mean rushing to lunch.

After the muppets we rushed out of the park and had to wait a while for a boat.

Turtle!

When decided to save time we’d get off at the beach club stop and walk the rest of the way into EPCOT. One day i'll stay here:happy:

Dad’s the only one there at security and again randomly selected :D haha

We hurried our way into The Land for our late reservation at The Garden Grill!!:D:D

I am sure I will be pulled for the random checks each day as I will be the one wearing the backpack. I wonder if they would pull over a kid? Hmmm?

Second Star to the Right

Just catching up on this report today, and I love it! Your parents are adorable, and you all look like you had a fantastic time! What a great way to spend your birthday.

Also, the scavenger hunt...LOVE IT! That is right up my alley, and what an awesome way to experience the parks.

I think you may have inspired me to book a trip for my 30th (how did that happen) birthday next summer. I am a bit scared of the heat and humidity down there at that time as I used to live in FL, but it might be totally worth it after seeing these awesome pictures! :D

samantha788

Original Poster
Really awesome pictures of everything. Really nice way of spending your birthday. Taking my DD and DS in September. They don't know we are going and it will be DS's birthday while we are there. This will be my first time back in almost 40 years and a lot has changed since then. Nice hearing about how things are now. For some strange reason I thought the parade started in Main Street and ended in Frontierland. I guess I was wrong. Good thing to know when we are there.

Looking forward to the rest of your report.
You really didn't have any luck with people standing by you for the parades. What is wrong with some people and what they let their kids get away with. I tell you, my two won't be acting like that. I actually mentioned something like this to my DS, his response, 'I won't do that I look around me to make sure I am not blocking anyone.' I told him I was proud of him for thinking of others.
I am sure I will be pulled for the random checks each day as I will be the one wearing the backpack. I wonder if they would pull over a kid? Hmmm?

Thank you for all the kind words! :) What a fun surprise for the kids!! And for your son's birthday, lucky little guy :)
The Festival of Fantasy parade starts in Frontierland and ends on Main Street, but the Electric Parade at night goes the opposite direction. That is so sweet your son thought of others when talking about parade spots! It is crazy how people start to act.
I'm so far behind on everything, need to catch up on your PTR!

OMG YES taking off buttons is the most annoying part. I ended up pinning mine to my camera strap so I wouldn't have to keep putting holes in my shirts. I was like your dad, got selected almost every time.
SMART! Remembering that for next time :)

Just catching up on this report today, and I love it! Your parents are adorable, and you all look like you had a fantastic time! What a great way to spend your birthday.

Also, the scavenger hunt...LOVE IT! That is right up my alley, and what an awesome way to experience the parks.

I think you may have inspired me to book a trip for my 30th (how did that happen) birthday next summer. I am a bit scared of the heat and humidity down there at that time as I used to live in FL, but it might be totally worth it after seeing these awesome pictures! :D
Thank you!! We had the best time!
I fully support your 30th birthday trip:DAnd you should do a scavenger hunt while there! ;)
I never would have thought we would do a birthday trip because it's in July, I was worried about the heat, rain and crowds - but it turned out to be just fine! My mom on the other hand probably won't opt to go back in July though haha.
As far as i'm concerned...a hot, humid, rainy, crowded day in Disney (especially on your birthday!) is better than a day at home ;)

samantha788

Original Poster
Garden Grill was one of our favorite restaurants from when we were little and we have tried to fit it in on our last few trips but the timing never lined up, but it was perfect for this trip and we were all excited to revisit!

I had booked the latest lunch reservation I could get, I think it was 2:55, and I think we ended up being one of maybe two tables in the whole place!

We were starving by this point haha, the salad came and we all dived in

Then before we could eat anything ALL the characters came by!

Then Chip came and we were dancing for some reason haha

Pluto was so sweet. He loved us and we loved him. We told him he should have some of the food since he was being so good:p hah

The food…AMAZING! I know many of you have talked about how great it is and we loved it! I want it all right now.

Our waitress was the best! So nice, fun and attentive. She brought out our dessert then also brought out this little cake for me & a birthday card! I was so surprised! Those little things go a long way.:)

samantha788

Original Poster
We were still at our table finishing up when from behind, Dale takes my ears off my head and puts them on his nose, then around my neck:D Then takes my hand and brings me to the next table over for a date hahaha

I felt like I was cheating on Chip though since he proposed on our last family trip haha:D:inlove:

Dale returned me to our table and started dancing with mom and Alyssa.

Pluto was sitting next to us watching then came back over:happy:

This is so cute:inlove:

We had such a great time here! The reservation time definitely worked in our favor basically being the only ones at the restaurant. We had a ton of time and the best interactions with the characters. Service here was great too, not to mention the food was DELICIOUS!
After lunch we were stuffed! We headed down to Living with The Land. It’s been too long since I’ve been on it!

samantha788

Original Poster

We headed over to the living seas to go on nemo and we wanted to see Turtle Talk for the new Finding Dory characters :)

We had been watching the wait times for Soarin all afternoon. We had a fp for the next morning, but Alyssa was going to be gone already. She’s not a fan of Soarin so was okay missing it which is why I chose to do it after she left...but the more she thought about it, she did want to see the new version. The waits weren’t that long and we only had to wait 25-30 minutes so it worked out perfect :)

I really liked the new video! We all did. My dad was so funny, he had been on the old one years ago so but didn’t remember what exactly it was like, so the whole time he was holding on so tight anticipating something big to happen on the ride:hilarious: Meanwhile I’m taking pictures and snapchatting and not holding on at all hahaha

After Soarin, we went to my sister’s favorite…figment:rolleyes: I always tease her about figment and “complain” about going on it. I don’t like the skunk part. And there’s another part I always forget about that makes me jump every time haha.

Our next stop was at the Visa M&G! My sister and I had such a fun experience here the first time we went last year so we wanted to make sure our parents went too :)

Family Photo:p love these :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom