23 F&W Booths, 6 Visits to Epcot, 4 Star Tours, & an Engagement Oct 2011 Trip Report

Cast from L to R: Lauren, me (Glenn), my boyfriend (Michael), and Kirk. At this point, Michael and I are in between newbie & veteran status while the other 2 are almost all newbie, so we took the lead on showing them around.
P10003041024x768.jpg

Day 1: Wednesday, October 26, 2011

On our last trip, we took an early 7am flight which means, getting up at 4am, spending arrival day in the parks, and ready to pass out by dinner time. So this time, we bumped it back a few hours. Left BWI airport at 9:20am and arrived at MCO at 11:35. Kirk & Lauren had to figure out their route to the Downtown Disney Hilton and Mike & I were off to DME at the Boardwalk.

We immediately boarded a DME bus motorcoach and were on our way. Upon arrival, we were quickly greeted by Martha who was extremely helpful and took care of us right away. She told us to have a seat on the couch in the Boardwalk lobby and gathered our packet of information. Within minutes we were headed to our room (Villas #2052). Our room overlooked the Luna Park Pool.
P10002711024x768.jpg

P10002721024x768.jpg

P10002751024x768.jpg

I turned on the TV to say “hi” to Stacy, but then around 1 pm, we headed on a 15-minute stroll over to Hollywood Studios. Lauren & Kirk were still getting settled, so we toured without them. Right away the park seemed busier than I had anticipated, but the wait times didn’t really reflect that. We walked on Tower of Terror immediately.

P10002851024x768.jpg

We needed a quick bite and thanks to some fan sites out there, we were both excited to check out the “gourmet” hot dogs at Fairfax Fare. Mike opted for the Truffle Mac & Cheese dog, while I went for the BBQ Pork & Cole Slaw dog. However, we had a little Cast Member issue during this. The CM seemed bored while resting on the counter, didn’t greet us at all, mixed up our drink order, and almost began to argue with me over the drink. After resolving the issue, we took our dogs and “pigged” out. They were amazing!

P10002871024x768.jpg

We were still waiting for Lauren & Kirk to arrive, so we wandered over to Animation Courtyard and watched the “Magic of Animation” movie (first time for us to see this) and then proceeded to get pictures with Winnie the Pooh and determine which characters we are most like.

P10002901024x768.jpg

Then it was time for an afternoon cocktail, so we went on over to High Octane Refreshments while we still waited for our friends. Once they said they were finally on their way, we headed toward the main entrance to meet time.

After meeting up, we stopped for a group picture and made it to the 4pm Beauty & the Beast show. Then it was off to our first Star Tours adventure with no wait – and I was the Rebel Spy!! Woohoo! Somehow I was looking down in my picture…oh well. We encountered the Stormtroopers, traveled to Hoth, received a transmission from Yoda, and finally ended up in Naboo (oh silly Jar Jar). Then it was quickly over to the 5pm show of the American Idol Experience.

Then it was off to Epcot. We had just missed a Friendship boat, but there was a bus waiting to take us to the main entrance of Epcot, so we took that. After a quick ride on SSE, we grabbed some F&W Festival Passports and made our way to France for a Grand Marnier slush….yummmmmm. No one in the group could make a decision on any other kiosks until we stopped there.

P10003181024x768.jpg

We continued our way around picking up some snacks in Morocco (kefta pocket) and Japan (pork kakuni) before discovering the Singapore Sling at the Singapore kiosk. Kirk named it the best value in Epcot, because it’s $7.25 and almost all alcohol. Boyz II Men were about to start their final performance at the Eat to the Beat Concert Series so we grabbed Linda Bean’s Lobster Roll & a pumpkin mousse with Craisins and a beer (Hops & Barley) and stood in the back of the America Pavilion to just relax and enjoy the music. The Kefta pocket was okay; however, the Pork Kakuni from Japan was very delicious. The Lobster roll and pumpkin mousse were also both very good -- nice size portions to just let you try a little and keep going for something else.

P10003221024x768.jpg

After the show, we continued to walk around World Showcase, had some beef filet (South Africa), went for a spin on Maelstrom, and stopped for some potstickers, barbecue chicken stick (a very delicious choice) and a Happy Lychee (China) before watching Illuminations. Then it was time for the Gran Fiesta Tour in Mexico (even the Happy Lychee couldn’t help that one).

P10003341024x768.jpg

By this point, Lauren & Kirk (and almost everyone else in the park) went to their hotel, but Mike & I stayed. It’s amazing how quickly World Showcase went from being incredibly crowded to almost empty. We tried the tacos from the Mexico F&W booth. I thought I could take a quick ride on Test Track using the Single Rider line but that was insanely long – even longer than the Stand-by line, so I just gave up on that.

We took a slow walk back to the Boardwalk and called it a night.

Coming up…more Epcot, a wine seminar, and more…

PartOfYourWorld

Great report so far! So jealous of your room at the Boardwalk that is my dream hotel!

and love those slushes from France! You're pictures make me want one right now!

BoardwalkGlenn

Original Poster
Glenn,

Glad you started the report. Looking forward to more F&W reviews.

Thank you! Sadly, we didn't have any Michael Bolton sightings.

Great TR so far! I can't wait to hit up the F&W Festival on Sunday!!! :)

This is the last week for it so make sure you enjoy it.

Great report so far! So jealous of your room at the Boardwalk that is my dream hotel!

and love those slushes from France! You're pictures make me want one right now!

The Boardwalk was amazing! I've only stayed at moderates before, so this definitely spoiled me. And I could go for a slush right now as well (although it is only 10am...hmmm....)

loving the start of this trip report! :) looking forward to reading more!:wave:

Thanks! I'll get Day 2 up today.

BoardwalkGlenn

Original Poster
Day 2: Thursday, October, 27, 2011

First of all, sorry for the small pictures. I resized all of them for quick uploading, not realizing that it would be nice if they were a little larger for viewing purposes.

Lauren & Kirk went to Universal Orlando today, so enough about them :lol:

So Mike & I took a walk to Epcot at 9am with a stop at Boardwalk Joe’s on the way for a coffee. We immediately got a FP for Soarin’ and continued on to Captain EO. Neither of us has seen this before so we figured we should see it. What a weird show?!?! It was kinda fun once the musical number kicked in, but I don’t think this is one I need to rush back to see again.

Then it was off to Innoventions East so I could check out the Sum of All Thrills. I looked at this during our last trip but never went on it. First, you are taken into a room for the “training” and background. The room can hold up to 8 teams of 1 or 2 and you watch a 5-minute video. Then it’s off to the design stations. From there, you can pick bobsled, coaster, or jet. I chose the coaster option. You then have 4 minutes to design your ride with some pre-selected choices, making sure you have enough power and speed to complete the track. Then you get to ride it. Don’t worry, there’s a “panic button” in case the ride is too intense for you. It was a very fun experience being able to design your own ride and then ride it.

P10003511024x768.jpg

We then checked out the Festival Welcome Center. We have been at the F&W Festival in 2008 & 2009 but never knew about the Center. We had some seminars during the trip, so we figured we should check it out now. We browsed the shops and wandered around the Center for a bit before heading back to the Land to ride Soarin’.

P10003541024x768.jpg

After Soarin’, World Showcase was just opening up, so we wandered around to grab a few snacks. First it was the Kalua pork slider and Tuna Poke (Hawai’i), then the lamb chop with potato-goat cheese salad (Australia), and finally the Taste of Scandinavia dish. We sat down for a bit enjoying our snacks before taking in Reflections of China.

P10003551024x768.jpg

Kalua Pork Slider & Tuna Poke (Hawaii)

P10003581024x768.jpg

Me scraping every last piece of lamb off of the bone (Australia)

P10003601024x768.jpg

Mike enjoying the Taste of Scandinavia -- he enjoyed it, I didn't

Then it was off to the Karamell Küche in Germany where I had to try something. I got a chocolate cookie topped with caramel. Surprisingly, the cookie wasn’t too sweet, and with the caramel on top, it was just the perfect balance.

P10003711024x768.jpg

Finally it was time for our lunch ADR at Les Chefs de France (another first). I made a 1:20 reservation in hopes that Chef Remy would make his rounds shortly after that. I had the onion soup and Crepe Florentine, while Mike did the prix-fixe with lobster bisque, Croque Monsieur, and the Profiteroles – plus the freshly baked baguette!! Everything was just delicious. In between courses, Remy did make his rounds. And his guide was just hilarious. A woman tried to come over to our section to get a picture of Remy, and he immediately slammed the serving lid back down over Remy and told her to go back to her table. He said Chef Remy would visit every table – but that one. The only negative thing I had to say about lunch is our server seemed disappointed that we didn’t order an adult beverage and almost kept pushing it.

P10003741024x768.jpg

Speaking of adult beverages, we then headed over to the Festival Center for our 4pm Wine Seminar. Today’s sponsor was the B&B French Wine Club. I really booked this one for Mike, because he loves dry red wine. I prefer the sweet whites, so in a sense, this is perfect, because we never fight over a bottle of wine. It was a somewhat fun event – even if we were the youngest people in the group. Dianne, who seemed to be the main Cast Member introduces the shows, was incredibly nice and asked if everyone was enjoying the festival. She asked if anyone saw Boyz II Men last night and about 4 of us raised our hands. She asked who was performing tonight (Gin Blossoms) and said she never heard of them. She asked who has and the same few people put their hands up again. Oh well…

P10003801024x768.jpg

P10003831024x768.jpg

After the Wine Seminar, we headed back to the Boardwalk for a little rest before dinner. Mike went back to the room, but I went to the General Store…or did I have something else up my sleeve…

Coming up…Day 2 continued...a surprise event after 6 months of planning…

BoardwalkGlenn

Original Poster
Day 2 Continued

So it’s about 5pm, Mike went back to the room, and I said I was going to the General Store on the Boardwalk. I did, but then I quickly back tracked to go to Kouzzina. Time for a little back story…

Like any Disney World fan, we have been planning this trip since our last trip(September 2009). And as experienced visitors, we know that the 180-day mark is important to make your ADRs. So back in April, I knew that I would propose to Mike during this trip. So now the question was how? I immediately thought about doing it in Cat Cora’s restaurant 1) because I’m a foodie fan and 2) I figured it had to be one of the more gay-friendly places in Disney World. So that was it. Done. Dinner there and propose.

Then a friend of mine said she knew the director of the Voices of Liberty. They are one of our favorite groups to see in Disney World and Mike introduced them to me in 2008. Our friend said the VoL do private performances inbetween their sets at Epcot, so I thought that would be a perfect time to propose, because I didn’t want to do anything that was too public (like in front of Cindy’s castle or anything like that). Then the friend found out that there is a new director and they know longer do those performances.

Okay, back to the drawing board. Then the Food & Wine Festival events were being announced. I found out that Cat Cora was actually going to be in WDW during our trip and doing several F&W Festival events. PERFECT!!! I got up early on the morning the F&W Festival reservations opened and booked it! Yes!! Then I contacted Cat Cora through her website and got a response back saying they would be more than happy to help me out. This was working out perfectly!!! I was so excited…and a little nervous.

So then near the end of September, I noticed Cat’s events disappeared from Disney’s website, while others were marked “sold out” so I had a bad feeling about this. I contacted Disney, and they said they have not heard anything. So then I went out to you, my lovely friends, on the Internet. I also emailed my Cat Cora contact again. She confirmed that Cat has cancelled all of her F&W Festival appearances. I was just so crushed over this. So I cancelled the special F&W Festival dinner event and made a regular ADR for Kouzzina (going back to my original plan).

Okay jump ahead to present day…I walked in to Kouzzina. I talked to the hostess and told her that I had a reservation for tonight and plan on proposing to my boyfriend. She immediately grabbed her manager, Staci, and I told her again. Staci was immediately excited and said that she loved engagements and wanted to know what they could do to help. Yay! She said that she would inform our server and get a special “Congratulations” written on our dessert.

So I walked out of the restaurant and back to the room. That’s when I started to panic. I took a minute to myself before going in the room to rest for a bit and get ready for dinner, but I couldn’t.

Okay, it’s 7:50pm and time for our reservation. We walk into Kouzzina and the same hostess is there. I was prepared to speak immediately just in case but she beat me to it and said “OH! You have the reservation.” My heart immediately sank and I tried to cut her off. But Mike heard it and said “How did she know we have a reservation?” I quickly said “I don’t think she said that. I think she asked “DO you have a reservation?” Somehow he bought it, or so I hoped.

After a few minutes of waiting (and talking to some gentlemen who had no idea who Cat Cora was and gawked at her picture on the wall), we were seated. Our server Patricia was just wonderful!! She was just warm and helpful from the beginning. We ordered some drinks (the Ouzo-tini was just delicious) as well as the trio of Kouzzina Spreads (eggplant, whipped feta, and tzatziki). Mike ordered the cinnamon-stewed chicken, which he just raved about, and I ordered the Pastitsio (Greek-style lasagna) which was also delicious.

So dinner was over, and the plan was to ask Patricia to take our picture when she asked us about dessert and that’s when I would propose. I got up from my chair, took the ring out of my pocket, got down on one knee, and Mike just looked at me in complete surprise. I asked him if he would marry me and he immediately smiled and said “yes”. :sohappy: Patricia got a few pictures of this and gave us a minute to calm down – plus Mike needed some time to figure out what just happened. They brought out a special dessert that they made for us. Patricia then announced to the restaurant that we just got engaged and had everyone shout “Opa”!! Staci came by to check and congratulate us. I thanked her again for everything she did. Then a lesbian couple came by our table to congratulate us and said they were celebrating their 12th anniversary that day. If you’re out there, it was very sweet of you to stop by our table and we wish you both a Happy Anniversary!!

disney2011_kouz1.jpg
disney2011_kouz2.jpg
disney2011_kouz3.jpg

So once again, we thank Staci, Patricia, and all of the wonderful people at Kouzzina for making our night very special. Plus, the food was absolutely delicious! After dinner, we walked upstairs to the Belle Vue Lounge for a celebratory drink and to look back at what just happened.

Coming up…a rainy morning at the MK, a mixology seminar, and more Epcot

enchanted_belle

That's so sweet!!! Congrats! :sohappy:

I'm really jealous of all the delicious sounding drinks from F&W... one of these years, I'll get down there to celebrate it. :wave:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Congratulations on your engagement!!

We arrived at Boardwalk Villas (#2035!) on Monday Oct. 31. Wonder if we crossed paths? I tried many of the same dishes you did at F&WF.

plaz10

Congrats on the engagement! Disney engagements are the best, aren't they?

My fiance was the same way as you with the 'not want a big public display' so he waited until the park was practically closed and proposed in front of SSE (my favorite ride in my favorite park). He kept saying he was nervous...I said "what, did you think i'd say no?" :lol:

Can't wait to read the rest of the report!!!

BoardwalkGlenn

Original Poster
That's so sweet!!! Congrats! :sohappy:

I'm really jealous of all the delicious sounding drinks from F&W... one of these years, I'll get down there to celebrate it. :wave:

Thank you so much! You have to try the F&W Festival sometime...it's wonderful!!

:sohappy:

Love trip reports like these!

:sohappy:

Thank you for checking it out!

Congratulations on your engagement!!

We arrived at Boardwalk Villas (#2035!) on Monday Oct. 31. Wonder if we crossed paths? I tried many of the same dishes you did at F&WF.

We probably passed right by each other! Although I had a late night at Jellyrolls on the 30th, so I might not have been looking too pretty on the 31st LOL. :eek:

Isn't the Boardwalk just an amazing place? Just by writing this report, it makes me want to rush back for more snacking around the World.

Congrats on the engagement! Disney engagements are the best, aren't they?

My fiance was the same way as you with the 'not want a big public display' so he waited until the park was practically closed and proposed in front of SSE (my favorite ride in my favorite park). He kept saying he was nervous...I said "what, did you think i'd say no?" :lol:

Can't wait to read the rest of the report!!!

Thanks for reading! I never even thought about waiting until the park was almost closed -- what a great idea! And I know how he must have been feeling. Even though I knew my fiance would say 'yes', I was nervous.

diddy_mouse

Aww, congrats to you both! :sohappy:

Your trip around the F&W Festival sounded awesome. My husband and I went last year but didn't have enough time to really enjoy it. Lucky for us our anniversary falls around the same time as F&W so we'll get to indulge anytime we go down to celebrate. :D

Look forward to reading more!

jhoff3405

Congratulations! You guys are a cute couple.

In 2009 my hubby and I did some seminars at the F&W fest as well. Only problem, we stuffed ourselves before the seminar so by the time we got in there I was sleepy and didn't enjoy it as much as I was digesting the food (and alcohol) from the fest.

BoardwalkGlenn

Original Poster
Congratulations!!!!

Thanks!!

Congratulations to both of you!!! I love reading about Disney engagements!!!

Thank you for reading!!

Congrats:wave: I love engagement stories, especially Disney engagements!

Thanks! Disney engagements are some of the best!

Congratulations! You guys are a cute couple.

In 2009 my hubby and I did some seminars at the F&W fest as well. Only problem, we stuffed ourselves before the seminar so by the time we got in there I was sleepy and didn't enjoy it as much as I was digesting the food (and alcohol) from the fest.

Thank you!

That was a problem for us too. There's just too much good stuff to try. I guess that's why we all want to go back again and again. :lol:

Aww, congrats to you both! :sohappy:

Your trip around the F&W Festival sounded awesome. My husband and I went last year but didn't have enough time to really enjoy it. Lucky for us our anniversary falls around the same time as F&W so we'll get to indulge anytime we go down to celebrate. :D

Look forward to reading more!

Thanks!! Our trips in 2008 and 2009 were mostly about hitting all of the parks and doing a little F&W kiosk hopping. This year we definitely took advantage of staying at the Boardwalk and doing a lot more in Epcot for the F&W Fest. It's very fun to try it all!

BoardwalkGlenn

Original Poster
Day 3: Friday, October 28, 2011

I’ve never seen the opening show at the Magic Kingdom (actually I’ve only seen the one at HS), so Mike & I were up early and out the door just a few minutes after 8am…IN THE RAIN! With ponchos in hand, we immediately walked on a MK bus and were there before 8:30am. Since we huddled under the train station anyway, we still didn’t get to see the opening show. Kirk & Lauren were late…again.

We went to Space Mountain to grab a FP but I also went on to ride it immediately as well, while Mike waited. I was wondering what to do about the poncho. I noticed other people were wearing them on the ride, so I kept mine on. As soon as I sat down and we were about to launch, a cast member told everyone else to take off their ponchos before riding. Well it’s a little late now for me buddy…maybe next time. But of course, I’m also nervous about it blowing out a little far during the ride and catching onto something, so I’m trying to hold it down as much as possible.

P10004061024x768.jpg

After Space, my goal was to meet Tinker Bell…yes you read that correctly. So we headed over to Tinker Bell’s Magical Nook. It was only about 9:20 or so and the sign said it was a 25-minute wait, but it was really more 10-15. The families in front of us and behind us kept moving wherever they wanted into the queue area and the cast members had to keep telling them to stay in line. I don’t think they really understood English that well. I just didn’t want to be mixed in with the guilty group. I was just there to meet Tink. I joked that maybe Terence would be there, but figured it would be Vidia (who looks like she would be just as fun).

P10004191024x768.jpg

We enter the gate and shrink down to fairy size and there are Tink…and Terence! How fun! They were both so in character and I didn’t really have any responses prepared to say back to them. I’m sure I looked like an idiot. But anyway, I got pictures with them and took my embarrassed boyfriend fiancé out of there.

P10004101024x768.jpg
P10004161024x768.jpg

Then we headed over to Frontierland and grabbed a FP for Big Thunder Mountain and got in the stand-by line for Splash Mountain. Since it had just stopped raining, there was not a wait at all. Then we went over to Fantasyland, grabbed a FP for Peter Pan’s Flight (a bonus Philharmagic FP came with it), and poked around the FL Expansion. Mike’s Mom called him back (he left a message for his parents last night after the engagement) to tell her about the good news.

P10004251024x768.jpg
P1000428768x1024.jpg

By that point, Lauren & Kirk finally made it to MK. They grabbed a FP for Peter Pan’s Flight and we all went on it’s a small world and Snow White’s Scary Adventure.

P10004581024x768.jpg

Time for another first – lunch at the Liberty Tree Tavern. Lauren & I both had the Colony Salad, Mike got the Tri-Corner Sandwich, and Kirk got the New England Clam Chowder and a salad I think. Mike said his sandwich was very good, and Lauren & I enjoyed our salads. It had a nice mix of greens, chicken, apples, pecans, Craisins, and cheddar cheese.

P10004301024x768.jpg

After lunch, it was time for a relaxing ride through the Haunted Mansion. Even though I wanted to see the new graveyard queue, I was out-voted and we bared right directly to the Mansion. Always a fun ride! The enhancements with the Hitch-hiking ghosts at the end were a nice touch. Then it was time for our Peter Pan’s Flight FP – I think we waited about 10 minutes for this one.

Then it was off to Tomorrowland but with a stop at the Castle on the way to watch the Dream Along with Mickey show. Once in TL, we all grabbed FP for Buzz, Mike & I gave our Space Mountain FPs that we picked up earlier to Lauren & Kirk to ride, while we went on the TTA Peoplemover. Our final stop in TL was to use our FP at Buzz Lightyear’s Spaceranger Spin. I rode with Lauren as we’re the more competitive ones, and sent the old timers in their own car. And, not surprisingly, I won.

One of Lauren’s “must-do’s” was Pirates of the Caribbean, so it was off to Adventureland. After a short wait (it just seemed darker in parts than I remember), Kirk & I went to Frontierland to use the FP we picked up earlier for BTMRR, while Mike & Lauren stopped to watch the (what time is it?) 3 o’clock parade.

P10004561024x768.jpg

Coming up…back to Epcot, Mixology, Gin (Blossoms), and more food…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom