Trip Report 21st Birthday/Celebration of Senior Year Trip Report

WHO: Myself (Brittany) and my roommate (Theresa)
WHERE: Port Orleans French Quarter
WHEN: August 18-23, 2013
WHY: Theresa's 21st birthday (August 19th), pre-senior year of college celebration, and a much needed vacation.

A little bit about ourselves-- We're both seniors in college this year, I'm majoring in History and Theresa is majoring in Psychology. We became roommates halfway through our freshman year and have been together ever since. Both of us had crazy summers between internships, work and just getting ready for senior year, so this was a vacation we definitely needed! And Theresa turned 21 on August 19th, and what better place is there to celebrate your 21st birthday! I should also mention that this was Theresa's second trip to WDW, but the first she was not able to do much because it was with a very poorly organized school trip, so she was able to do lots of things for the first time this week.

Traveling to Orlando was not very eventful, and I didn't take pictures of the plane, or Magical Express bus or anything, so I won't include much of that in this trip report.

It should also be mentioned that we stayed up for 24 hours our first day in WDW, something I have never been capable of doing in college. So apparently, with the right motivation, pulling all an nighter is possible.

Our flight to Orlando left at 6 AM, which meant that we needed to be up by 3 AM to get to the airport the usual two hours before. Well we couldn't sleep because we were too excited, so we ended up staying awake until about 2 anyways just talking about the trip. For that last hour we kind of, sort of, but not really dozed off, and then it was off to the airport! We flew Jet Blue, everything was on time, nothing too interesting here, so moving on...

8/18/13

We landed in Orlando at about 9 AM, checked into Port Orleans French Quarter, and were off to our first park, EPCOT! (I should also warn you guys that the pictures in this trip report are kind of random. For instance, I would usually go crazy photographing the Magical Express bus and the hotel as soon as we get there, but for this trip I really held back with the pictures. There are three reasons for this- 1. I have tons of pictures of WDW, and usually when I go I'm with a large group and we just move slower than I'd like, which means I entertain myself by taking pictures. But with just two of us on this trip, we were able to cover a lot of ground fairly quickly, which just accounted for less pictures). 2. My camera decided the morning of the trip that it was not going to work. Everyone just told me to use my phone, but I knew I wouldn't be able to deal with that for a week, so my boyfriend gave me his camera, which is almost 10 years old, and does not take the best pictures. But it was better than nothing, though unfortunately, I've noticed that the few pictures I did take on my phone came out better than the camera ones. 3. The memory card in my boyfriends camera filled up pretty quickly, and I did not think it was worth it to buy a new one in WDW. So I deleted what I could, but that still meant that I kind of had to use it sparingly.

I did the online check in about a week before we left, and requested that the room be ready earlier as we were landing in Orlando at 9 AM. We got to the hotel at about 10:30, and the room was ready! We checked in, got our Key to the World Cards and Theresa's birthday pin and were off.

100_0661.JPG

(Me on the left, Theresa on the right).

Immediately after taking this picture, we went to Mouse Gear to get Theresa some sunglasses since she forgot them in the room. I actually ended up having to buy some Disney sunglasses too because my 80's ones seen here broke during this trip.

The first thing we did in EPCOT was Spaceship Earth. I was so excited because Spaceship Earth is my favorite ride and it was originally going to be refurbished this week. The refurbishment got pushed back, and it ended up being opened except for the last two days of our trip.

Next up was Captain EO, which actually turned out to be Theresa's favorite attraction (besides Gaston, but we'll get to that later). After Captain EO we stopped in at Club Cool, and tried Beverly. This was my first time in Club Cool as well, as it is usually one of those places that I just cannot drag my huge family into. It was definitely nice having only one other person with me on the trip, because I'm usually in a large group that isn't too keen on splitting up so we spend lots of time waiting for some of us to do the big scary rides and stopping for bathroom breaks.

Next we were on to World Showcase, and we decided to stop in Mexico for lunch.

100_0663.JPG

Theresa got the nachos, and I got the beef tacos. We both got churritos for dessert, which quickly became one of our favorite Disney snacks.

100_0664.JPG

We both thought that the quick service here was really good. When I'm with my whole family, we do a lot of the burgers and hot dogs sorta thing, so it was nice that with only two of us we could actually pick and choose were we wanted to go. We also had the Dining Plan, which we thought was very helpful. Regardless of whether or not it was a good value, we liked it because it was easier for us to have most of the food paid for in advance, and we enjoyed that dessert came with it. Both of us would not ordinarily get dessert, so having it included in the dining plan allowed us to try things that we other wise wouldn't have.

After lunch we headed inside to look around the gift shops and ride the Gran Fiesta Tour. I could spend hours in the Mexico gift shop, but not during this trip, because Donald was outside!

100_0667.JPG

So a couple of things about this picture-- see how blurry it is? Yea, that camera is terrible. This is what happened a good deal of time when the camera was handed to someone who was not used to dealing with such an old/touchy device. Also, notice the draw string backpack in Theresa's hand with the string hanging? I bought each of us one before we left, because I thought they'd be helpful for carrying around our refillable water bottles, autograph books, etc... I don't know if I just bought crappy ones or what, but both of ours broke on the first day. We ended up tying the strings to make them into make-shift purses for the first day, and went back to using our regular purses the next day. So I guess the ones I bought were just cheap, since I've seen tons of people using them and they looked like a good idea, but they weren't! :(

After taking this picture, we wandered through some more shops in World Showcase. Though we didn't buy too much, we both enjoyed taking our time to actually go through all of the gift shops. We would have ridden the Maelstrom, but the wait was kind of long, and we knew we'd be in EPCOT a lot more that week so we decided to wait.

We headed to China:

100_0668.JPG

And we met Mulan!

100_0672.JPG

Meeting characters was something else that I really enjoyed on this trip that I do not usually do. When I go with the family, no one else has any desire in meeting characters, and I usually get overruled. It seems like once I was passed the "age" of character meeting none of the adults wanted to do it anymore. Since Theresa wasn't able to meet any characters last time she went, this was a priority for both of us, so that worked out good.

When Mulan saw that our bags were broken she said Mushu must have been messing around with them and that she'd talk to him later for us.

In Germany we met Snow White, Theresa's favorite princess, who may now have some competition from Merida.

100_0675.JPG

My 80's sunglasses were still in tact, for now!

By the time we reached Japan it started pouring, so we were held up in that gift shop for a while. After waiting for an extra 10 minutes for the rain to stop when we finished shopping, we decided to get the ponchos out. We brought my grandparent's ponchos from the 90's, the yellow ones with Mickey on the back, under strict orders that we had to bring them back in one piece because my Grandma loves them. This was the only day we brought them with us to the parks, once we switched back to purses from the draw string bags, they wouldn't fit, so we were poncholess for the rest of the week.

We finished up World Showcase and began heading towards the exit.

100_0677.JPG

Our lack of sleep was starting to catch up with us, but we couldn't bring ourselves to go back to the hotel for a break. So we decided to get on the monorail and hang out at the beach at the Grand Floridian, before our dinner reservations at Kona Cafe.

By the time we got off the monorail at the Grand Floridian, the sky was clearing up. We went down towards the beach and relaxed on the shaded lounge chairs for about an hour.

100_0678.JPG

Looking back on these pictures makes me really upset about my camera. I'll definitely have to get that fixed or get a new one before I go to WDW again. Even though I already have tons of pictures, I wish I had more of the Grand Floridian, or even the Polynesian as I think my only picture from there is of my food. =/

After we rested for a little bit, we got back on the monorail and headed over to Kona Cafe. Our reservations were for 7:10, and we got there at about 7 and had maybe a 20 minute wait. Kona Cafe is one of my favorite restaurants, and since this was the first time I was in WDW since I turned 21 I couldn't resist getting a drink there. I ordered a Lapu Lapu and it was delicious! I tried not to go nuts drinking on the first day, because Theresa was not 21 until the 19th, so I figured I'd wait until our second day, but I couldn't pass up the Lapu Lapu. We also got the sticky wings, which are probably my favorite wings from anywhere. For our entree we both got the noodles with shrimp.

100_0681.JPG

These were so good, I would definitely get them again. It was my first (well technically second) time getting something different at Kona Cafe. I used to always get the prime rib here, but they took it off the menu years ago. :( Ever since then I always stuck with the sirloin, I guess because it was the next closest thing to the prime rib, but the noodles were really good so I would probably get those again too.

For dessert, Theresa got the Kona Cone and I got the chocolate lava cake. Sorry for the lack of food pictures, I had to be selective with the little space I had on the memory card. :(

After dinner we looked at some of the shops at the Polynesian and then got onto the monorail to go to the Magic Kingdom. I don't have any more pictures from the rest of the night so this is going to be text heavy, apologies in advance.

When we arrived at the Magic Kingdom, it was packed for the 9:00 Main Street Electrical Parade. We already had plans to watch it later in the week, so we figured we'd bypass the crowds and get on some rides. We headed towards Adventureland, because I really wanted to ride the Jungle Cruise. It was going down for refurbishment the 19th, so that first night was the only chance we would have had to ride it during our trip. While we were walking towards the Jungle Cruise, it began to pour, and thunder and lightening followed soon after. The Jungle Cruise was closed off for the storm, so we booked it over to Pirates of the Caribbean. We were very excited to be able to walk right onto POTC, since the park was emptying out due to the storm. We were seated in the middle row of the boat and were off. Right after the mermaid scene in the beginning of the ride, where the skull is on the beach with the crab that moves, we heard what sounded like extra loud thunder. The lights flickered, and the boat stopped. An announcement to stay seated, that they would try to get it moving came on. A few minutes later, a cast member came out from behind the rock work and let us know that the storm was messing with the generator in the park, and that we would likely be walked off the ride. The problem was that where our boat was there was no where to walk on to. Two more cast members showed up, with those huge waterproof-like overalls (like you see in the cranberry bog commercials), walking towards our boat through the water from behind us. The two cast members got in front of our boat and started pushing. They had to move the boat back far enough to where there was a dock we could step out onto. In the process of pushing the boat back, it got stuck on part of the track to our right. One of the cast members in the water walked over and tried to direct the one in the front on how to move it away from that portion of the track, but it wasn't working. They then instructed us all to lean to the left so the shifting weight on the boat would allow them to push it over that portion of the track. Everyone leaning at the same time gave the illusion that the boat might actually tip over, it was kind of strange, but everyone was being very good sports about it, and I was excited because I've never been walked off a ride before. Theresa thought I was crazy for being excited. After some more leaning to the left, then some leaning forward, our boat was over the piece of track and we were headed towards a dock. (I also never noticed the dock before on the ride, it appeared to be wooden, and was to the left if you're facing the mist waterfall and the mermaids. So I don't know if it's always there, or if they put it there to evacuate us). When we got to the dock we exited the boat, first the front row, then the back row, then the 2nd to front row, and so on, to keep it balanced. After we were taken off the boat, we walked back through the beginning of the ride, past the mermaids and mistfall and were taken to the gift shop to wait out the storm. I actually kind of wish we were stopped after the drop so I would have been able to walk off more of the ride than I did, but it was still really cool to be walked off at all.

We waited in the gift shop for what felt like forever, because the cast members were keeping people out of the storm. People were basically camping out in there, sitting on the ground and drying out ponchos and what not. When the storm finally ended, Pirates was still down, so we headed towards Frontierland. Everything was soaked, but no more thunder and lightening to we were good to go. When we got there Splash Mountain was back up, so I suggested we go on that, but Theresa wasn't into it. I don't really know if she didn't like the drop or what, but I figured it was our first day there so I wouldn't push it, I had a whole week still. We did get right on Thunder Mountain, which is my favorite roller coaster, and Theresa had fun pointing out all the goats (goats are her favorite animal, weird I know, we used to work at a farm together, it's a long story). We were starting to get tired, so we kind of strolled through Fantasyland very slowly. We stopped to peek at the Mine roller coaster, and kept walking towards Tomorrowland. In Tomorrowland we went right on the People Mover, which may have been too relaxing considering how tired we were. Next we rode Buzz, and walked towards the hub for the now delayed showing of Wishes.

We weren't in the best location to see Wishes, which was fine, because we planned on seeing it later in the week anyways. We were kind of on that bridge that connects Tomorrowland to the hub, so there were some trees in the way and the fireworks were at a strange angle. The sound was kind of weird from where we were standing too, I think we may have been right in the middle of two different speakers. Regardless of our not-so good spot, and Tinkerbell not coming out due to the storm, Wishes was a nice distraction from how tired we were, but we were excited to see all of it again in a couple of days.

We didn't really want to be in the cattle herd that leaves after the Fireworks show, so we slowly made our way down Main Street, stopping in all of the shops along the way. By the time we got to the exit, most of the herd was gone and it wasn't too bad. It was close to 1 AM by the time we got to the bus stop, so Theresa could have technically had a drink that night if we went to the bar at the hotel, but we were really just too exhausted. That's how you know we had been awake for 24 hours, because within hours of turning 21 Theresa was looking forward to the bed in the hotel room more than a drink. After getting to the hotel room and getting settled for bed, it was 2 AM, exactly 24 hours since the last time we saw 2 AM when we couldn't sleep before leaving for the airport.

Up next, 8/19/13, morning in EPCOT, Theresa's birthday dinner, and Hollywood Studios for the night!

Last edited:

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
Here's the next day!

8/19/13

We slept in a little bit, something I've never done on a Disney trip, but we were just exhausted so it had to happen. After sleeping until about 9:30/10:00, we got on the bus to EPCOT. We decided to do World Showcase again, but this time we started in Canada so we could do all the countries we sort of rushed through last time first.

100_0688.JPG

After walking through Canada, it was time for breakfast and Theresa's first legal drink! For breakfast we both had one of those huge chocolate frosted donuts that are at all of those espresso and pastry kiosks all over property. (We stopped at the one right after the Off Kilter Stage). And we also both had slush that was made of frozen iced tea, vodka and lemonade.

Here's the happy 21 year old!

100_0689.JPG

After breakfast we stopped at the U.K. to meet Alice. She noticed Theresa's birthday pin and said it must have been my un-birthday, and that it was her un-birthday as well!

100_0692.JPG

We continued walking through World Showcase, spending much less time in Japan's gift shop since we were held up in there with the rain the day before, and we saw my favorite show in World Showcase:

100_0699.JPG

The American Adventure was really good, as usual, except for something in the last scene seemed a bit off. Anyone else have any thoughts about Lance Armstrong still being in the finale montage? And the Voices of Liberty were great to, I love seeing them before the show starts.

After the American Adventure we headed out of Epcot to go to Hollywood Studios for the night. We had reservations at 50's Prime Time at 4:00 and we planned on seeing Fantasmic at 8:00. We got to Hollywood Studios at about 3:30, and concluded that it was kind of an odd amount of time because the wait times for attractions would have been cutting it close to dinner. We ended up doing some more shopping to pass the time, and took a couple of pictures together in front of the hat.

I thought this picture of us came out really good, (except for how I'm not a fan of the hat and that's what we're standing in front of). And disregard that my dress decided it wasn't having it with the buttons, and it looks oddly revealing and weird where the purse strap is. The buttons on that dress gave me a hard time all day, and I spent the morning in World Showcase continually re-buttoning it. By the time we got to Hollywood Studios I gave up, and figured me constantly fixing it was probably more noticeable. But looking back at pictures it seems as though my purse strap brought the attention back to the un-buttoned button, so it was a lose-lose either way with that dress.

100_0701.JPG

By the time we were done picture taking and shopping it was time for our early dinner at 50's Prime Time. We got there right at 4:00 and waited for about 30 seconds before we were seated. Our table was kind of weird, but that's just what happens sometimes when you get a table for two in certain restaurants. It was kind of in the middle of everything, with a booth on one side and a regular chair on the other. It didn't bother us at all, but it was kind of different than the usual family sized table in there. For drinks, Theresa had a Pina Colada, which looked amazing, and I actually had hot tea (because I should have had my tonsils removed this summer but I didn't, so excessive talking/screaming on rides is not fun). The tea with that meal helped and my throat was fine for the rest of the trip. For food we both had the fried chicken, Theresa got it with the greens and I substituted for corn.

100_0702.JPG

I actually tried to recreate this meal at school a few nights ago, when I saw that fried chicken, corn and mashed potatoes would all be in the dining hall one night, but unfortunately it was not the same. For dessert, Theresa had the smores and I had the apple crisp. Both were delicious, apologies again for the lack of food pictures, I blame the whole camera fiasco. Theresa's smores with the birthday candle were really cute!

100_0703.JPG

After dinner, we went on the Great Movie Ride, which only had about a 10 minute wait. I actually don't mind waiting for the Great Movie Ride because I like watching the old trailers for the movies in the queue. We got the gangster scene, which I prefer to the cowboy scene so that was fun, and all the cast members we had we're perfect for that job. Next we saw the Voyage of the Little Mermaid, partially because we wanted to and partially because the sky started to look stormy so we rushed right in. I do like this show, but it is kind of dated. I think that in comparison to the musicals Disney has now, like Finding Nemo in Animal Kingdom, this show may be a bit lacking. But I still like it and end up seeing it every time I'm there, it could just use an update. After the show, we made our way towards Star Tours. I love the ride, but I can never get myself into Star Wars no matter how hard I try, so I have no idea where we went on our flight. The Star Tours gift shop had some nice gifts for friends back home who actually do like Star Tours though. I loved all the t shirts with Darth Vader doing different things in WDW, I should have taken a picture of them.

By the time we got off of Star Tours, we decided to go grab seats for the 8:00 Fantasmic. Our seats were good, and we didn't mind sitting and waiting for a little bit as we planned on using the time to plan out the next day. While we were waiting for Fantasmic, with about 40 minutes left of waiting to go, that stormy weather started to set in. It started to pour, not in a way that seemed like an ongoing storm, one of those Florida showers that lasts for about 15 minutes and then stops. Well, since ditching the draw string backpacks, we no longer had our ponchos. Though as you may have noticed in the pictures, I had an umbrella attached to the side of my purse. Unfortunately for us, umbrellas are not allowed in the stadium where Fantasmic is, so after our attempt at getting away with the open umbrella we were asked to close it. We didn't want to lose the seats we waited for, so we just dealt with the rain. It wasn't too bad, since it was hot and the rain was kind of nice to cool us off. But it made our dresses very clingy and uncomfortable, and we got completely soaked. Like Kali River Rapids soaked. And we felt kind of stupid sitting in a sea of ponchos since we decided against bringing them when they wouldn't fit in a purse. I guess we could have bought new ones, but we're cheap college students, so we didn't want to buy something we already had.

Here we are getting rained on, which is surprisingly hard to tell from the picture, but believe me it was coming down.

100_0706.JPG

I really liked the little comedic pre-show they did in the beginning of Fantasmic. I don't remember them doing that the last time I saw it, and it was really fun. They interviewed audience members, mostly little kids who had cute/funny answers. And the cast members also played Disney Trivia, and told the winning family that they won a Disney Cruise vacation... and then told them they were kidding and that they actually won free popcorn. It was very entertaining for the last half hour or so before Fantasmic started. I love Fantasmic, so for me seeing it never gets old though I'm curious to see Disneyland's version some day with the different (better) dragon, and Peter Pan segment. In my opinion, Fantasmic is one of the redeeming factors of Hollywood Studios. I usually spend the later afternoon and evening portion of a day or two there during each trip and plan the time there around seeing Fantasmic. If this show weren't there I would probably do a couple of rides in the middle of the day, or eat at a restaurant there, and go somewhere else, so I would probably not even go at all if I didn't have a park hopper.

Since we slept late, we were pretty awake after Fantasmic and decided to go to the Magic Kingdom. When we got there we headed straight for Pirates of the Caribbean, since we were unable to ride the entire attraction the day before. We also hit the Haunted Mansion, which I could probably do over and over again and never get tired of, and then Splash Mountain. Theresa had never been on Splash Mountain, and she said she'd go on it under the condition that I would go on Expedition Everest. Well I didn't go on Everest, nor did I plan on it and I told her that flat out before we got in line for Splash, so I cannot be held responsible for her going on. (As an aside, I make this same face everything I go on. It's my "Splash Mountain face" and I have about 6 photos from different years with the exact same expression).

50613550000.jpg

After Splash Mountain, we hung out around the hub to watch the Main Street Electrical Parade, and Wishes in its entirety. I'm still sad about Spectromagic, but I still love the MSEP too, and Wishes was so nice, now that we weren't stuck behind the trees in Tomorrowland. When Wishes was over, we sat on one of the benches in front of the Partners statue and waited for the Kiss Goodnight, because I've never been able to see it before and I wanted to nerd out. It was really nice, and something I would definitely like to see once per trip (but with the way my family tours the parks I don't see that happening anytime soon), so I'm really happy I got to see it that night.

Up next: Animal Kingdom & surprise!: more World Showcase!

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
What no one wanted the front row>>>:happy:
We were the last ones on, so we could have taken the front row but we went for the back instead! I'm sure the picture would have been better with someone in the front, it does look kind of strange with no one there.

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
I, Basketcase463, do solemnly swear, that I will finish this trip report... after my midterms are over this week! I have a terrible habit of not finishing them, but I swear I'm going to finish this one!

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
Finally an update to this! Sorry for the delay, my midterms took up all of my time for the past few weeks.

8/20/13

Today was Animal Kingdom & Epcot, well, Epcot meaning World Showcase. World Showcase was definitely where we spent the most time during this trip, which I would attribute to both of us just having turned 21.

Our first stop in Animal Kingdom was the safari of course! Theresa didn't get to go on the safari the first time she came to WDW, so this was definitely a must do. We were able to see most of the animals, and the giraffes and ostriches got very close to the ride vehicle. The only notable animals we didn't really see were the lions, so I assume they were probably sleeping somewhere behind the rock work when we went by.

100_0738.JPG

I really wish the safari still had the old script with Little Red and whatnot. It was really exciting and passed along a good message about the effort to stop poaching. I instinctively waited for the bridge to collapse too, which it didn't, though the driver mentioned that she was nervous about old bridges. So I don't know if the whole bridge almost collapsing bit went away with the elephants or what, but I sort of missed that too.

When we got off the safari, we walked through some of the trails to see the animals. This is something I love doing in Animal Kingdom, because all the times I've been when I was younger with my family, no one ever really wanted to do this. But I love seeing the animals, isn't that part of why you'd go to ANIMAL Kingdom? Anyways, the gorillas were the best! They were all sleeping and it was so cute. When they stretched everyone in the crowd went "AWWW."

100_0742.JPG

Next we headed towards Asia, where we saw Finding Nemo the Musical and Theresa rode Expedition Everest. Someday I will go on Everest, but I couldn't bring myself to do it this trip! D: Finding Nemo, we both agreed, was our favorite stage show. I'm still amazed at how much I love this show because I thought adding songs to a non-musical movie would be weird and wouldn't work, but its done perfectly here. And I love all the costumes and the puppets, and basically everything about it. We also went on Kali River Rapids, mostly just to cool off because we knew we'd get wet. The queue for this was kind of annoying. When we got in line, the sign said the stand by was 30 minutes. Generally the signs are over estimated so we thought, "So hopefully 20-25 minutes? That's not bad..." After about 15 minutes of standing in the queue and not having moved very far, a cast member walked down the line and said, "Did the sign say 30 minutes when you came in? It's actually 50, it wasn't changed properly." I kind of thought that maybe he would have given out fastpasses or something, though I don't know how that would work because it would probably throw off the line for the rest of the day or something, but he didn't. It wasn't that big of a deal to us, but we were kind of annoyed. And the 50 minutes was not an over-estimation, it really took about 50 minutes. But when we finally got on it was worth it, because we got to cool off and I think its a fun ride. The queue is also really beautiful, I just wish I didn't spend 50 minutes there unknowingly, haha.

After Kali, we headed towards Dinoland, where we rode Dinosaur and spent some time in the gift shop there. We also got a quick lunch at Restaurantosaurus, we both had cheeseburgers. I wouldn't have thought to go there in Animal Kingdom for quick service, as I would usually suggest Flame Tree Bbq, but we were in the area and hungry so that's what happened. It was really good though. The toppings bar there really made the burger, and I got the wildberry rum lemonade which was also really good. After lunch, we strolled through some of Animal Kingdom's gift shops on our way out of the park. We got sort of caught in the crowd control of the parade, so we spent a good amount of time in one of the gift shops, but it was fine because I really love the shops in Animal Kingdom. I still haven't seen the parade there, because it just never works out with what I have planned to do, so I'll still have to do that someday.

When we left Animal Kingdom, we caught a bus to Epcot, because our dinner reservations that night were at Rose and Crown. I was very excited for this because I love fish and chips, and of course we were excited to try some more drinks in World Showcase. When we got to Epcot we headed towards World Showcase and took the ferry boat across the lagoon. We walked around the other countries having some drinks and checking out the gift shops, as we made our way over to Rose and Crown. We got there a tiny bit early, which was fine because we took the opportunity to get some nice pictures of World Showcase from the porch of the restaurant.

100_0749.JPG

We both loved Rose and Crown! I can't wait to eat here again next time I come to WDW. I don't have food pictures unfortunately, but I can tell you that Theresa had the Cottage Pie and I had some kind of a combination plate of the sirloin steak and fish & chips-- perfect for someone whose indecisive like me. (Though if I were not on the dining plan, I would have been decisive because I think my dinner cost about $30). And of course we both had some drinks here!

Theresa got wine:
100_0751.JPG

And I had the Welsh Dragon: It was delicious! It was like fruity and minty, which sounds kind of weird but it was really good.
100_0752.JPG

After dinner, we headed back out to World Showcase and had a couple of more drinks and camped out for Illuminations. I don't have any pictures of Illuminations, because like I said, this camera was absolutely horrible compared to the one I'm used to using and all the pictures I attempted to take at night in World Showcase are a complete mess. But we loved Illuminations, of course, and decided to head back to the hotel after the show to get some sleep. We had an early ADR the next morning at... World Showcase! Surprise! We had an early breakfast ADR at Akershus before the park opened, so we went back to the hotel room to get some sleep after Illuminations.

Thanks for reading, I hope to have the next part up within the next couple of days. And if anyone is interested, primarily in the Disney College Program, but also random Disney things, I've added the link to my blog to my signature. :)

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
HA. In the last update I said I would post the next part within a couple of days, and that was exactly 1 month ago. Whoops. Well, I promised I was going to finish this trip report so that's what I'm going to do!

8/21/13

The next morning we were up bright and early for our ADRs at Akershus. I think Theresa probably would have liked to sleep a little longer, but I'm a morning person and I was beyond excited to be in the park before it opened. Epcot is my favorite park, and seeing it empty first thing in the morning was awesome. This was one time on the trip when I really regretted not buying a new camera before we left. These pictures had so much potential, but alas that stupid camera I used.

100_0761.JPG

I LOVED walking through an empty Epcot. It was worth the early reservation just to experience this.

Here we are in empty Norway waiting to go inside:

100_0780.JPG

(Random side note: I don't know if you can really see my bracelets in this picture, but they are the leather bracelets from the Canada pavilion that you have engraved with your name. I bought two of them, one says "To Infinity," the other says "And Beyond" so my boyfriend and I each have one now).

We didn't wait long at all before going in to Akershus. When we went inside we had our photo taken with Belle. I don't have that photo on my computer and I'm at school at the moment, but I can post that one later when I go home for Thanksgiving or something. Food first, then I'll discuss characters: I thought the food here was really good. I enjoyed how the restaurant was part buffet and part family style. I'm not a huge fan of buffets, but the set up was really nice with the pastry and some Norwegian food at the buffet, and eggs and bacon and whatnot brought to the table. We had a very attentive (and good looking!) waiter whose name escapes me, but he was awesome! Characters: Sleeping Beauty was our favorite! She asked if we left the princes at home, and we said yes and she said she left Phillip at home too. I love being referred to as a princess by princesses, that's something I will never outgrow.

100_0784.JPG

I still can't decide if I like her new dress or not. I like the color and style of it, but the kind of shear arms and more fitted skirt seem kind of weird to me. Regardless, she was very fun to talk to. I would definitely go to Akershus again, especially before the park opens. The little parade around the restaurant they did with the little "princesses" was adorable too.

After breakfast, we headed back over to the Magic Kingdom. We took the Monorail to the Transportation and Ticket Center, and got on a ferry boat from there just to change things up. Being on the ferry boat allowed me to take some pictures of one of my favorite resorts:

100_0788.JPG

When we got to the Magic Kingdom, we headed towards Adventureland and rode Pirates again. Next up we hit Liberty Square, and I got Theresa to do the Hall of Presidents (which is one of my favorites). We also went on the Haunted Mansion again, because come on, you can't possibly get sick of the Haunted Mansion. After the Haunted Mansion, we decided it was time to check out New Fantasyland... and by New Fantasyland I mean Gaston.

Meeting Gaston was probably one of my favorite parts of this trip. I love him in the movie, but he was amazing to meet in person! Though LeFou's Brew, or pork shanks don't really interest me, I also love the tavern, I thought it was very well themed and decorated perfectly with all the antlers.

Here are the Gaston pictures:

1.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

100_0799.JPG

I'm not sure these pictures even need an explanation, you can pretty much tell how excited we were from our faces. Best character experience ever. He asked if we had boyfriends, then he asked what their names were so we told him. And then he spent the next couple of minutes yelling about how stupid Chaz and Ryan are to let us go see him. It was too funny, and I love how you can see how flustered we are in the pictures. Sorry Chaz, Gaston is some steep competition.

After meeting Gaston, we headed down Main Street to see the Dapper Dans. I love the Dapper Dans so much, and try to see them on every trip. This time we got to see their Original Boy Band performance, which was awesome. It was so funny seeing them do all the old songs we love. And one of them held my hand and sang a One Direction song to me. So this was basically the day of us being flattered by good looking Disney men, haha.

100_0800.JPG

After watching the Dapper Dans, we headed to Dumbo's Circus to go to the meet and greets over there. Minnie and Daisy had really long lines so we just saw Goofy and Donald. I like the whole Circus set up much better than Toon Town Fair. I would much rather see Disneyland's Toon Town anyways, so having something different in Florida was nice.

My favorite picture from the meet and greet:

100_0823.JPG

By the time we finished here we were getting kind of tired, so we opted to head back to the hotel for a little bit. We ate dinner at the food court at the hotel, and freshened up a bit then headed back to the Magic Kingdom. From what I remember we rode the Haunted Mansion again, and Thunder Mountain, but I don't remember what else unfortunately. I know we saw Wishes though!

ginadee

A little late getting on here but love it. Im amazed at how positive you are on everything. "excited about walking off a ride", "not great seats but that was ok", "soakin wet but no thunder n lightning so good", "waited 50 min but that was ok"etc..I could go on. You had a positive say about everything that could have been a negative. That's the way to have a great vacation. Very refreshing. Thanks for posting.

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
A little late getting on here but love it. Im amazed at how positive you are on everything. "excited about walking off a ride", "not great seats but that was ok", "soakin wet but no thunder n lightning so good", "waited 50 min but that was ok"etc..I could go on. You had a positive say about everything that could have been a negative. That's the way to have a great vacation. Very refreshing. Thanks for posting.
Thank you! Haha, I don't understand all the negativeness around here sometimes. I'd rather be soaking wet waiting for Fantasmic than at home doing well, nothing. Lol.

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
8/22/13

The next morning we had breakfast reservations at 10:30 at the Grand Floridian Cafe. We were originally planning on sleeping in, but then we decided we would go see the rope drop show at the Magic Kingdom. We got to the Magic Kingdom early and saw the rope drop show, then spent some time in Tomorrowland before heading back towards the monorail for breakfast.

100_0833.JPG

I LOVE breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe. I think the vanilla french toast there is probably the best breakfast food ever. It's never crowded either when I'm there which leads me to believe that it's underrated, but I love it. We had some really good drinks there too, but I don't remember what they were now. Something with strawberries and orange juice I'm assuming. Our waitress was also really excited about Theresa's birthday, she got a birthday candle on her drink and a cupcake.

100_0837.JPG

After breakfast we took the bus to Hollywood Studios. We missed Beauty and the Beast the last time we were there, and we really wanted to meet the stars of Wreck it Ralph. I thought Beauty and the Beast was quite dated. I still like it, but it was pretty evident that not much has changed since the 90's. I loved the Wreck it Ralph meet and greet, the signs before you meet the characters about the other video games were so cute.

100_0838.JPG

After the meet and greet we decided to head back to the hotel and stay by the pool for a little bit. We were starting to regret getting up so early when we had planned on sleeping late, so we took a break to relax for a bit. I really liked the pool at Port Orleans, and we realized that we're awesome at Disney trivia. Unfortunately we probably picked the cloudiest day to sit by the pool, but it didn't matter much, it was nice to take a little break. Before heading back to our hotel room to freshen up to return to the parks we sat at the pool bar for a little bit, which was also a nice change of pace. Though this trip was for a 21st birthday neither of us were interested in making drinking the focal point of the trip. We ordered drinks at restaurants and what not, but drinking and hanging out in bars wasn't really the priority, but hanging out at the pool bar was a good break from the parks.

When we were all cleaned up from the pool we went back out to the Magic Kingdom. We started in Adventureland per our usual order of things and went on Pirates of the Caribbean, where as I remember we spent a good deal of time in the gift shop (actually buying things, not trapped like that time with the thunderstorm). We probably went on the Haunted Mansion again too, because I don't think either of can ever be sick of that, and then we got dinner at Columbia Harbor House. This is one of my favorite quick services, I love the theme of it and getting fried shrimp is always a good thing.

100_0857.JPG

After dinner we headed back towards New Fantasyland, where we went on the Little Mermaid ride. I love the ride, but the flash photography is really bad on it. They need to make more announcements or something. People were even taking selfies. (Why you would take a selfie I don't know, it's not like you can see anything in the background with the way the clam shell is, so basically people are strange.) But the ride, and the queue were really nice, the flash photography just needs to be enforced better.

Of course we had to meet Gaston again *swoon*

23.jpg

Here's a really awkward picture of us with Gaston. I am apparently trying to form coherent words, and Theresa is blatantly checking him out. Gaston really was the highlight of this trip lol...

21.jpg

For the rest of the night we basically did whatever we had left to do in the Magic Kingdom (and I think we did Thunder Mountain again), but we spent a good amount of time in Tomorrowland because we'd been there the least, and we caught the Main Street Electrical Parade again.

Later that night we met Tiana and Naveen. I LOVED them, when Tiana asked where we were from and we said Massachusetts she started talking all about cooking seafood and clam chowder, and Naveen was basically clueless, it was so cute. I also thought her dress was beautiful.

31.jpg

I don't remember doing anything after this, but according to my pictures I got a churro:

100_0880.JPG

And churros are delicious, so I'm sure that was a wonderful end to a day in the Magic Kingdom.

Up next is our last day! :(

Disneygal1

Umm, I am absolutely loving your TR. We are both about the same age, as I will be turning 21 in February. Actually, my best friend will be doing the college program next semester, and I am tempted to buy a cheap plane ticket and celebrate my 21st with her down in Disney. This TR is tempting me more and more! Girls trips are always a blast. Can't wait to read more, even though I'm partially sad since it's your last day post!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom