Trip Report 20th Anniversary Trip That I Never Thought Would Happen

My wife Patty and I took our honeymoon to WDW in May of 1998. We were both 21 and still in college and just starting to get into the working world. Super young. It's very strange to think about planning that trip now - I used the Unofficial Guide for research and booked it by phone since this was before the internet was useful for things like this. We flew down from Nashville and stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort. We hit all the parks hard, including the new Animal Kingdom not long after its opening, back when Dinosaur was Countdown to Extinction and had a real thrill/terror aspect to it...and Alien Encounter was a good thrill too.
20180612_174122303_iOS.jpg

We had our son in 2000 and our daughter in 2003. We took our first family trip to WDW in October of 2007 and it started a love of all things Disney World for our kids despite my best efforts :p. We flew down for this trip and stayed at Coronado Springs. We had a great time although our barely 4 year old daughter was scared of a few things - like horses, and the Beach Boys doing an Eat to the Beat show.
1930865_1057200670471_5473_n.jpg

1930865_1057200750473_7429_n.jpg

1930865_1057214470816_8271_n.jpg

Our next trip came in October of 2010. We originally had a trip planned to Tampa in June, but my mother-in-law Nancy who had been fighting stage 4 breast/bone cancer got very ill and passed in July. We changed things up and scheduled a somewhat short notice trip in October and brought my father-in-law, Mike, along. It was a good experience to lighten things up a bit and his first time to WDW in many years. We originally planned to drive down but we ended up flying again and we stayed at CBR again. He lives on our street now and we have a great relationship with him.
Disney World 2010 014.JPG

Our next trip came in October of 2012 and this time we went big, bringing Mike and also my bro-in-law Danny and his family, which at the time was his wife and 2 sons. I was already a good WDW planner (if I may say so myself) but being responsible for a large groups takes things to the next level. I'm an Enneagram 5 (observer/investigator) and I did all I could to make it a trip that worked for everyone. It was the first big vacation Danny's family had gone on and they said it was the most fun they've had as a family. All of us drove except his wife and the younger son to give them a shorter travel time. We stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter and really enjoyed the smaller resort with short distances to the pools, food court, and bus stops. Patty and Mike both got into running after Nancy passed and they ran the Tower of Terror 10-Miler on our first day of the trip. It was the first year of that race and they said it wasn't very well executed. They waited in the parking lot for hours for it to start and most of it was run on roads between parks that were on a pretty steep angle. I LOVE Epcot (largely for nostalgia) and was stoked to have been there on its 30th anniversary. *Whoa, as I type this I realize I'm wearing the same shirt in the pic below. Old band shirt for O'Brother, sludgy, riffy, stoner rock band from Atlanta. They rule.
2012-10-6 083.JPG

We waited FIVE LONG years to hit WDW again but we made it back last October (2017). We did the big group again plus another young nephew who was 4 at the time of this trip. This time we all drove and we stayed at CBR while it was under construction. The construction didn't bother us at all and the $75/night gift cards were a great perk that we used for paying for tips for our dining plan meals. BTW since all of our trips have been in Sept/October we've taken advantage of free dining promos and the Food & Wine fest. I LOVE planning WDW trips - making spreadsheets, finding times that will work for everything we want to do, etc...but this one was hard. Our kids are older now. We want to all have fun as a group but also want to make sure we can all do things we enjoy. This was probably the most challenging trip to plan but it still ended up creating tons of great memories. We didn't necessarily plan it this way, but since we were at WDW for Epcot's 35th birthday I made sure to get anyone who wanted to go over there for part of the day. The special Illuminations ending is something I'll never forget and something you can't really capture with a camera. The most face-melting fireworks I've ever experienced.
20171001_133941647_iOS.jpg

So, let's get down to it. I dreamed of doing an anniversary trip for years and didn't think it was going to happen. I posted about it before our 15th and it didn't happen. Our 20th anniversary was on May 16th, the week of our son's high school graduation and 2 weeks before our daughter's dance recital. Our daughter got a surprise invitation from a friend to go on a Spring Break trip to WDW in March, and despite my severe jealousy we let her go. She got the invitation the DAY BEFORE the trip. Planner Alan had a bit of an internal fit making sure everything would go well...but she was going with Disney veterans who also go hard, so she was in good hands. I had given up hope for a trip for us with all that we had going on - graduation, dance recital, dance competition week in Charleston in June, then our son going up the road to start college at Vanderbilt in August. In early June my wife brought up trying to make our trip happen out of the blue. I blew it off at first but then she found some dates that might work and all I needed was that One Little Spark to get my planning engine revving. Since then I've made 2 sets of master plans trying to fit everything together, but also trying to allow for plenty of time to just wander and take our time since we don't have a big group to be responsible for. It was planned as an anniversary trip but she sweetly mentioned it can be a make-up birthday trip for my 40th back in 2016. My dad got sick and passed very quickly from cirrhosis (even though he never drank) right around my birthday in August and we didn't really do anything for it that year...not that I need a big party, but the sentiment of it is sweet and kind of hit me in the feels :cry:.

So here's the plan!!!

August 25th - 30th at Pop Century with 6-day PH and the Dining Plan. We've never stayed at a Value resort. We're not snobs, it's just always made sense to go Moderate with the dining offers, etc. I've heard a ton of great things about Pop and am excited to see it, especially considering it's right behind AoA so we can wander around there and use their buses if they come first.

Sat Aug 25: Flight arrives around 10am. Take ME to Pop, check-in, then head to AK to have lunch with FPs set for Flight of Passage, Everest, and a late day Safari. We have dinner at 7:25pm at Paradiso 37 at Disney Springs and will either shop some after dinner, or make our way to DHS for a late 2nd Fantasmic at 10pm.

Sun Aug 26: We'll rope drop MK and stay until late afternoon, having lunch at BoG at 1pm. Then we'll head over to Disney Springs to shop and have dinner at Polite Pig - man, that place rules...and we have good BBQ here in middle TN so I think I'm qualified to judge BBQ. We have FPs for Space, Splash, and SDMT.

Mon Aug 27: We'll be at AK until mid to late-afternoon, then switch over to Epcot. We have FPs for Dino, Everest, and FoP and will probably have lunch at Satuli Canteen, Yak n Yeti or Flametree BBQ, then have dinner at Biergarten at 6:35pm.

Tues 8/28: We'll RD at DHS and see about hitting TS land quickly in the morning even though we have a Slinky pass for later in the afternoon, along with ToT and RnR. Later we'll head back over to Epcot for dinner at La Hacienda de San Angel at 7:30pm, then will take advantage of late EMH at Epcot until 11pm.

Wed 8/29: We'll RD Epcot and hit Soarin real quick before breakfast at 9:50am at Garden Grill, the only repeat meal from our honeymoon. We'll stay at Epcot until we need to leave for a 5pm dinner at 'Ohana. On each of our last 3 trips we've done 'Ohana for breakfast. I've always heard how good dinner is but this will be my first time and I'm super excited for it. After dinner we'll to to MK for late night EMH and to catch Happily Ever After, which we missed on last year's trip.

Thurs 8/30: This is the first day of Food & Wine Fest, so we'll go to Epcot with no real agenda but to bounce around at booths, and leave in time to catch ME to the airport for our 9:20pm flight.

Now I'm in that phase between everything being done and planned and the trip, and it's not my favorite thing. I'd prefer to have something to do, so after reading tons of trip reports here I figured I'd write one myself. I love reading your stories and the community here. I just hope I can actually post a trip-report afterwards.

acollins876

Original Poster
The first post was way long but I wanted to give a little background since we're bookending 20 years of marriage with WDW trips. On the family trips we've gotten into routines with some meals and things that work for everyone - dinner at Chef Mickey's, breakfast at 'Ohana, Hoop Dee Doo. This time around I'm excited to do some things we've either never done or haven't done in a really long time:

Paradiso 37 on the first night. I had originally booked Sanaa but Patty is a less adventurous eater and I've read that the bread service is a "must get" feature and it doesn't make sense for us on the dining plan. We'd be better off at Sanaa to do bread then split an entree.

Finding Nemo the Musical - My wife and daughter have seen it but I never have. Hoping we can catch it this time around. We ALWAYS see Festival of the Lion King.

Country Bear Jamboree and Tiki Room - I haven't done either of these since I was a kid. Same goes for Hall of Presidents although we may still skip it. Or did I mean to say may NOT? (after carefully reading the transcript) :rolleyes:

CS other than Flametree at AK. We always go to Flametree because it's really good and a good value for a CS meal, but I want to try Yak n Yeti or Satuli.

Kali River Rapids?? We don't like to get super wet in the parks. Splash is fine. I've never done Kali - I'd have to bring a change of clothes if I want to try it this time around.

Biergarten - We've never been there. The atmosphere looks super fun - hopefully it'll be a good buffet with some good German beers.

World Showcase - on the trips with the family we kind of blitz through it from one thing to the next. Our kids our older now and would appreciate it more...but they're not on this trip. It'll be nice to take our time and explore something we always speed through. No reasons to rush around.

La Hacienda De San Angel - I grew up in New Mexico and feel like I've experience the apex of all the varieties of Mexican food there, but we've never been to La Hacienda so we're trying it out. Looks like an upscale offering of some traditional dishes.

'Ohana dinner - This is the meal I'm most excited about. I've heard so much about it.

Alcohol with the dining plan - Really curious to see what we'll be able to get. I'm more of a beer guy than a cocktail guy, but if they're offering it I might go for some unique cocktails. Also hoping to try Tipsy Ducks in Love in World Showcase.

Enough rambling - have a great day y'all!!!

acollins876

Original Poster
Since it's just the two of us on this trip $169 for Memory Maker/Photopass is way too much. I've seen talk in Touring Plans' Lines app about folks pooling together with people travelling around the same time to share one account. I posted into a FB group about it but haven't gotten anywhere yet. Has anyone done this?

John Dulmage

The first post was way long but I wanted to give a little background since we're bookending 20 years of marriage with WDW trips. On the family trips we've gotten into routines with some meals and things that work for everyone - dinner at Chef Mickey's, breakfast at 'Ohana, Hoop Dee Doo. This time around I'm excited to do some things we've either never done or haven't done in a really long time:

Paradiso 37 on the first night. I had originally booked Sanaa but Patty is a less adventurous eater and I've read that the bread service is a "must get" feature and it doesn't make sense for us on the dining plan. We'd be better off at Sanaa to do bread then split an entree.

Finding Nemo the Musical - My wife and daughter have seen it but I never have. Hoping we can catch it this time around. We ALWAYS see Festival of the Lion King.

Country Bear Jamboree and Tiki Room - I haven't done either of these since I was a kid. Same goes for Hall of Presidents although we may still skip it. Or did I mean to say may NOT? (after carefully reading the transcript) :rolleyes:

CS other than Flametree at AK. We always go to Flametree because it's really good and a good value for a CS meal, but I want to try Yak n Yeti or Satuli.

Kali River Rapids?? We don't like to get super wet in the parks. Splash is fine. I've never done Kali - I'd have to bring a change of clothes if I want to try it this time around.

Biergarten - We've never been there. The atmosphere looks super fun - hopefully it'll be a good buffet with some good German beers.

World Showcase - on the trips with the family we kind of blitz through it from one thing to the next. Our kids our older now and would appreciate it more...but they're not on this trip. It'll be nice to take our time and explore something we always speed through. No reasons to rush around.

La Hacienda De San Angel - I grew up in New Mexico and feel like I've experience the apex of all the varieties of Mexican food there, but we've never been to La Hacienda so we're trying it out. Looks like an upscale offering of some traditional dishes.

'Ohana dinner - This is the meal I'm most excited about. I've heard so much about it.

Alcohol with the dining plan - Really curious to see what we'll be able to get. I'm more of a beer guy than a cocktail guy, but if they're offering it I might go for some unique cocktails. Also hoping to try Tipsy Ducks in Love in World Showcase.

Enough rambling - have a great day y'all!!!

My wife and I love La Hacienda De San Angel. I don't think you'll be disappointed. And Biergarten is always good. ENJOY!!

acollins876

Original Poster
My wife and I love La Hacienda De San Angel. I don't think you'll be disappointed. And Biergarten is always good. ENJOY!!
I actually booked La Hacienda by mistake. I wanted San Angel Inn inside the pyramid by the water and re-booked it. As much as I think I know, I didn't realize there were 2 table service restaurants in the Mexico pavilion.

Trust2deal

Since it's just the two of us on this trip $169 for Memory Maker/Photopass is way too much. I've seen talk in Touring Plans' Lines app about folks pooling together with people traveling around the same time to share one account. I posted into a FB group about it but haven't gotten anywhere yet. Has anyone done this?
I know it seems like a lot - $169 - but after using it twice - the photos you receive - PLUS videos of you on the rides - are all well worth it. I assume you will have magic bands - because that's how they tie it all together on the memory maker. Also - next time you go with a large gruop - it collects their pic's / vids as well - as long as you tie them into it using the WDW app.

LisaBelle

Sounds like a great trip! My husband and I honeymooned at Disney in 1989. We didn't have a plan at all. We arrived when we wanted to and just wandered. It was great. That was before I read the Unofficial Guide before our first family trip in 2004. Now we tour very differently! We just came back from WDW traveling in a group of 7. We had fun, but as you mentioned it is hard to make plans that keep everyone happy. I am hoping for some laid back future trips with my husband now that our kiddos are in their late teens and twenties. I would love to do Food and Wine or Flower and Garden some day. We LOVED Biergarten on our last 2 trips. Hope you have as much fun as we did. We tried Ohana for dinner this trip and enjoyed it as well.

acollins876

Original Poster
Re Photopass - I connected with 5 other parties, set up chats, got everyone synced up and was about to make the purchase when a friend that just got an AP messaged me and said they checked and they can add us as friends on their MDE and we can use their Photopass benefits. They messaged me just barely in time. Fortunately the group I put together were cool about it and are continuing on with their plan.

30 days - Still stuck in that phase where all the planning is really done and there's nothing left to do but pack. That's just my WDW-centric world. In reality we have our son moving out for college on Aug 18th (30 minutes up the road to Vanderbilt, so it's close) and 3 of our birthdays - DD 8/15, me on the 20th, and DS on the 23rd.

acollins876

Original Poster
9 days. Getting close now, but I still don't love the "nothing left to do" phase of waiting until we leave. I did just drop the Paradiso 37 ADR and switch to the Fantasmic Dining package at Hollywood & Vine. We'll start the first day at AK, then move to DHS for dinner and late Fantasmic at 10:30, which I haven't seen since our honeymoon. I ordered myself some Epcot themed shirts from TeePublic. They have a TON of designs available!

While we're waiting for the trip there's PLENTY going on in our real world. Yesterday our DD turned 15 and got her learner's permit. We take our DS to Vanderbilt Univ. on Saturday for move-in and he'll turn 18 next Thursday, and my birthday is on Monday the 20th.

LMSB

Sounds great, following along!
I was in your home state at the end of July, in Nashville for a bachelorette party. What an awesome city!!

acollins876

Original Poster
Tomorrow's the day. We have a 7am flight from Nashville and got late "A" group passes on our Southwest flight. Will land around 10am, hop on DME and I was hoping to get to AK around noon. A CM told me over the phone that our check-in is totally done and we don't need to go by the desk at POP, so we might get to AK earlier. I guess we can get anniversary celebration pins at any guest relations booth.

We'll probably do lunch at Flametree or Restaurantosaurus and our first FPP is FOP at 2pm. Later we'll flip over to DHS for a Fantasmic dining package at H&V seeing late Fantasmic at 10:30...and it'll give us a chance to see Toy Story Land at night. It'll be a long day and I'm just hoping we come to our room late at night and our bags are there. We'll split clothes up across a few bags to be safe.

acollins876

Original Poster
This trip report is late, but if I don't do it now I probably never will, so here goes!!

Saturday Aug 25th:
We had a 7am flight out of Nashville so we left around 5:30am for the airport. Our daughter is on her high school's dance team and performs at football games. The night before we left the game was in ALABAMA, about 2.5 hours from our house. Thankfully the band decided not to make the trip, which meant we didn't have to either. I really didn't want to get off on this trip with no sleep the night before.

Our plane landed around 10am at MCO and we made our way down to DME. We checked 2 suitcases and only carried on a drawstring bag since we were headed straight to AK. There were no lines and we were on our bus quickly. We knew by staying at Pop that we could use buses for both Pop and AoA since there's a path across the lagoon. DME's first stop was AoA and with all the time it was taking people to get their baggage, and since we only had a drawstring bag we hopped off at AoA. I don't know if the driver had a passenger manifest or anything like that, but we just hopped off and started walking. Not long into our walk I got a text that our room was ready at about 11am. Total surprise! I wonder if they had a way to know we were in early or something.

I'd never been to AoA or Pop before so it was neat to see it all as we made our way over to Pop. The walkway between resorts is still open even though there are a lot of fences up for Skyliner construction. It was an easy walk to Pop but not something I'd recommend as your first introduction to where you're staying. Coming in backwards it took some extra time to figure out how it all was situated, and to figure out how to get from our room to the main building, bus stops, etc. We went to our room to check it out, then headed out to AK. This was our first time at a value resort. The room was definitely smaller than the moderates we'd had before, but it was fine for the 2 of us, and had recently been refurbished. We were very happy with it - great bed and pillows! Elevated bed with room for luggage underneath.
20180825_150202201_iOS.jpg

20180825_150225993_iOS.jpg
20180825_150234215_iOS.jpg

We caught the bus to AK and got in quickly. Since we left early and didn't have much breakfast we headed straight to Flame Tree BBQ, one of our favorite CS and a huge value if you're on the dining plan. We both got the rib, chicken, pulled pork sampler valued at $18.99, and I had Safari Amber beer and Patty had a Coke Zero - not ready for alcohol yet in the heat. And OMG it was HOT!!! Our last trips over the last 20 years have been in May and late Sept/early October. Wow it was hot! We could handle it just fine...but again, wow! We ran into DiVine in the way in - had never seen her before. We loved it. A little bit of sass in that face - as if to say, "I'm nature and I'll endure, but don't mess with me." My pic captures exactly zero of that though. :banghead:

20180825_155111289_iOS.jpg

Our first FPP was FoP at 2pm so we had time for Primeval Whirl (out of the box but we LOVE it!), Everest (always love it), and Finding Nemo the Musical before heading to Pandora. I was frankly disappointed in FNTM - can't pinpoint it but it just didn't hold my attention well no matter how cool I thought the costumes were. Everest had about a 30 minute wait so we rode single rider this time.
Me up front:
AK_EXPEDITIONEVERESTRIDE_20180825_413084779858.jpg

Patty up front - love the kid in the back! :eek:
AK_EXPEDITIONEVERESTRIDE_20180825_413084878441.jpg

FoP was mind-blowing as always. Such a rush to get that much sensation from sitting on a bike and watching a screen! Afterward we went for a Safari which frankly wasn't great. It was so hot that riding outside just wasn't much fun and most of the animals were seeking shelter. After our Safari I got a Dole Whip, then we looked up and saw clouds darkening quickly and we decided to book it out of there. We planned to stay for awhile and go straight to DHS, but ended up getting out RIGHT before the rain and headed back to our room for a bit. We had an ADR at Hollywood & Vine with the Fantasmic package at 7:10pm.

We went back to our room for a bit and thankfully our luggage had arrived! We unpacked (which we usually can't do much of since there are 4 of us and limited drawer space) and got our refillable mugs and chilled for a bit before heading to DHS. Let's talk about the DHS bus situation. Wow that's my least favorite park to get into/out of right now. Very long walks into the park from Pop and AoA stops and very little covering from shade/rain at the bus stops. It's a work in progress, I know, but man it's a customer-unfriendly mess!

We got in and had time for ToT and Star Tours before dinner. I didn't pay attention to pricing when I booked it but saw the sign outside that the nighttime dinner at H&V is $55!!! In no universe is a dinner at H&V worth that much. Wow! Hopefully everyone there was on the DDP. I went in expecting nothing special and that's about what we got. It wasn't bad - it was just...fine. My favorite thing was probably some lo mein noodles. Since alcohol is included now I got a mojito (had never had one) and Patty got a moscow mule (vodka is one of the few liquors she likes). The Mule was awful! Whatever ginger-beer is, the flavor was INTENSE and it tasted more like cleaning liquid than something we'd ever want to drink again. The mojito was intense too, but I liked the strong lime-mint flavor. I tried to keep going back to Patty's mule so it wasn't wasted but even I couldn't take it. Never doing that again!! This was an adults only anniversary trip, but we still had to see the characters. Hey Minnie! And the dinner receipt - again, CRAZY!!!
20180826_001135883_iOS.jpg

20180825_235705304_iOS.jpg

I have to note that service here was SLOW!! And it was pretty consistent across the rest of our TS meals. If you need something from your server ask for it early on.

I'm glad we got to DHS at night because it gave us a chance to see Toy Story Land at night, which is really something. Everything is bursting with color - super fun! We got a PhotoPass pic at the front then made our way to TSM which had a short wait, and where I won 180K to 155K. We also rode AS2 (as the Mouse likes to abbreviate it ;)). Patty said it wasn't worth ever waiting for again but I liked it - we got some good hard whips in.
STUDIO_TOYSTORYLANDICON_20180826_413090714678.jpg

On this night DHS was open late and had a 2nd Fantasmic showing at 10:30pm. We had time for RnR then made our way into Fantasmic seating. We haven't seen it since our honeymoon. It was a very sparsely attended show and we were super tired after a long day. It's not very Disney-loving of us, but we got up and headed out a little before it ended. We wanted to beat the crowds to our bus and get back to rest up for the next day.
STUDIO_ROCKNRCOASTERRIDE_20180826_413092000805.jpg

Last edited:

acollins876

Original Poster
Sunday, August 26th - The plan for the day was MK until mid-afternoon then the rest of the day at Disney Springs.

We packed a box of Belvitas in our luggage and that was breakfast every morning. We headed out to MK for opening, but not quite for RD. The Halloween decorations were already up and the first MNSSHP had already happened, even though it was August and it felt like the world was on fire - not a lick of coolness in the air yet. Since this was an adults only anniversary trip we tried to tell ourselves we'd take it easy and just live in the moment instead of rushing around. I think we did pretty well but still got a lot done in our first few days due to short lines.

We saw the Trolley Show on our way in. Our daughter is a dancer and is possibly hoping to try for DCP one day, although she doesn't know how that fits into her hopes of becoming a doctor. I've told her that this is a place where she can keep dancing if it's something she really wants to pursue.
20180826_132345289_iOS.jpg

Somehow I didn't know the Purple Wall aka #purplewall was a thing until recently, so we stopped by and got famous. JK :rolleyes:
20180826_132812966_iOS.jpg

20180826_132909838_iOS.jpg

We headed into Tomorrowland and did Buzz (always fun), Astro Orbiter (I used to not like it but I loved it this time. Sometimes I have issues with spinny things, but not this time), and a FPP for SM. Our son just started at Vanderbilt Univ. so we dropped an Anchor Down sign on SM. I think the guy in back thought he was joining in;)
MK_SPACEMOUNTAINB_20180826_413094218563.jpg

After SM we made our way to Adventureland for a Jungle Cruise (so-so skipper, but I love them every time. That's a hard job and they have to do a lot of stalling), Tiki Room - I haven't done it in years and Patty never had. It's been so long for me that I didn't remember anything about it, although I knew the songs since I'd been listening to a lot of Disney Parks music in anticipation of this trip.

Bro - it's a million degrees outside. Why????? Maybe sun allergy or something. We try to be generous with our interpretation of things, but this really stood out.
20180826_142924432_iOS.jpg

I'm an Enneagram 5 (observer/learner) so going to WDW with me is kind of like going with Wikipedia. I have fun sharing bits of trivia and facts - but it might not be so interesting to others, even my ever patient wife. But I shared things like "this is one Walt had his hand in, they never could get rid of all that clicking, this was originally planned to be a restaurant, etc." After Tiki we had a FPP for Splash, one of my all time favorites and one that Patty will tolerate since she doesn't want to get wet with smelly water. This pic sums it up :joyfull:
20180826_153759209_iOS.jpg

After Splash we rode BTMRR (again, always fun!), then made our way over to Be Our Guest for lunch. We both got the French Dip and split up on desserts - I got the lemon cupcake and Patty got the strawberry. This is our 2nd time at BoG. The first time we sat in the main room, but this time we went off to the right with the ballroom statue. It was SO SO much quieter - nice to have a calming lunch experience. When we left we noticed again the chaos and noise of the main hall. Added bonus at BoG is that you have access to the drink machines, so you can have soft drinks, hot tea, etc. - and coffee with dessert! Iced coffee would have been better on a scorcher like it was that day though!
20180826_171747872_iOS.jpg

After lunch we went Under the Sea, then over to HM where we ran into these ballers! Talk about couples goals in another 20 years!!!
20180826_184048331_iOS.jpg

HM was great as usual but the CMs seemed a bit over it. I couldn't tell if they were doing a shtick or just having a bad day - just kind of rude. Afterward we went to Hall of Presidents which I haven't done in forever. I also remembered nothing about this show. I really debated whether or not I wanted to go through with it this time since (in my view) things related to presidents are a bit of a dumpster fire these days. Well - we LOVED the show. Frankly, the whole thing seemed to reinforce what America should be about and was almost trolling the current administration - just like every other monument and serious thing you come across when visiting Washington DC. It was a pretty optimistic, hopeful show and I'm glad we did it.

Afterward we went back to Fantasyland and cut through a store and I noticed a CPer with a Vandy tag, so of course we had to get a pic to send to Griffin. She had just recently graduated from Vandy and really missed it. I was really curious about what she studied there and how slinging Disney-stuff fit in, but we didn't pry. #AnchorDown
20180826_194446121_iOS.jpg

Attachments

• 20180826_142924432_iOS.jpg
    20180826_142924432_iOS.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

acollins876

Original Poster
Sunday August 26th cont'd:

Our last FPP before leaving was SDMT - I love this little perfectly themed coaster. Not a thriller, but fun!
MK_MINETRAIN_20180826_8261993795.jpeg

We planned to go straight from MK to Disney Springs, but the heat took a lot out of us so we headed back to our room for a bit. DS is open until midnight every night so we'd have plenty of time. We stopped on the way out for a castle pic.
20180826_200510288_iOS.jpg

At DS we went straight to SugarBoo first. Patty loves this store - all the quotes and the ways they're displayed. She took a lot of pics for ideas of things we might do around our house. Very odd thing - the pic below contains part of something that Patty would say every night to our son when he was young, and she swears she's never seen it anywhere.
20180826_225446552_iOS.jpg

Dinner was at Polite Pig, and we LOVE Polite Pig. We live near Nashville and have plenty of access to good BBQ, and this is really good BBQ with creative sides. We both got ribs. I think Patty just got a Coke Zero and I got their IPA. I love everything about PP and we'd find ourselves here again - plus it's a killer value as a CS credit with the rib platter being $23.
20180827_000605538_iOS.jpg

We shopped around a bit before it started raining - got my son and me both some monorail socks to keep it classy!

Day 2 in the books. Tomorrow we go back to AK.

Last edited:

acollins876

Original Poster
Monday August 27th:

Back to Animal Kingdom. We had a Dinosaur FPP for 9:20-10:20 but decided to take it easy and get in at the back-end of the return window. We saw DiVine again on the way in. We rode Dino and the ride went 101 right as we got done. We sat in the unloading dock for about 20 minutes while they evacuated people from inside. I remembered that on Sunday Dino was down for most of the day too - I saw a lot of its CMs working in other areas of the park while it was down. We got an anytime FPP and used it to ride Everest twice together since we had a FPP coming up at 10:35am.

Before heading to EE we rode Primeval Whirl again. I'm a huge Tottenham Hotspur supporter and this day was a match-day against Manchester United. I saw a guy in a Man Utd shirt in the Primeval Whirl line and gave him a hard side-eye and a "not today" kind of look - just for fun. I saw said guy a few other places throughout the park and threw out an appropriate side-eye. :bored: #COYS
AK_EXPEDITIONEVERESTRIDE_20180827_413107190813.jpg

After EE we went to Pizzafari for lunch. We had been there once a long time ago and it was typical Disney cardboard pizza - I remember it being REALLY bad. I had heard that Disney pizza had gone better, especially here, so we tried it...and it was really good. Patty had the Caesar Salad and I had the Pepperoni/Sausage pizza, and we both got the Mandarin Orange Vodka Lemonade - thank you may I have another!!?

After lunch we saw Festival of the Lion King, always a favorite. I hope they never replace that show. Then we had a lot of time to kill before our 3pm FPP for FoP. We'd already done everything we wanted to do in AK so we checked out Nomad Lounge. We're pretty thrifty people - only around WDW will we spend $30 on drinks, but you know, things are...different here.
1537471376244.png

20180827_180636870_iOS.jpg

Patty got Jenn's Tattoo and really liked it. I got the Leaping Lizard and didn't care for it, but I still drank it. Kind of intense citrus. Patty's drink was much better. After our libations we experienced FoP again, then got the heck out of there before a major downpour. We were heading to World Showcase at Epcot so we took a bus to the Boardwalk. The Spurs/Man Utd game started at 3pm so we got to the Boardwalk around halftime. We popped into ESPN Zone for the 2nd half and ran into the recipient of my all-day side eyes. He was with his family and they all had northern England sounding accents so I think they were legit local fans of the Red Devils. He said "what are you, following me?" We shook hands and we took a table in the back of the room. I asked them to seat us where we could see the game not knowing a ton of people already there were there for the game - it was halftime when we got in. Spurs dominated the 2nd half and won 0-3 behind goals from Harry Kane and Lucas Moura. It was a great day to be Spurs and the rest of the night at Epcot I ran into other Spurs supporters, and a few despondent Mancs. ***That aside, things aren't so cheery as I write this on September 20th. Spurs have lost 3 in a row, a first under Pochettino. The boys need to recover their form soon or the season could be lost.

After the game we went into Epcot through the International Gateway (another thing I haven't done in years). I have a dream of one day staying at Yacht Club, Beach Club, or Boardwalk and being able to just walk in and out of Epcot through that gate. We went to Canada, got dizzy in O'Canada while the CMs circled the audience looking for troublemakers - weird vibe in there. Then we made our way to the other side of the lagoon and quickly browsed through some of the pavilions on our way to Biergarten in Germany. While we were waiting for a table I ran into another Spurs supporter who was celebrating U.S. Citizenship. I was really hoping we'd get seated with them...but no. Our tablemates were fine, but we just couldn't relate very much and conversation was weird. We both thought the food was so-so, although the music was fun. It was worth trying but something we probably won't do again. I wanted to try the grapefruit beer and really didn't like it. It was more like grapefruit sparkling champagne, which I wouldn't have ordered. The bells part of the show was great. The other thing that was a drag was that in the pic the chair in the corner was mine. Totally squeezed in and had to make people move if I wanted to get out. Excuse me, pardon me. The last time I got up for dessert the folks sitting by me just stood up until I got back, not to make it weird of anything. :confused:
20180827_231123546_iOS.jpg

After dinner we had a FPP for FEA, which is cute and fun even though it doesn't belong in Epcot. Yeah, I miss the old days and the original intent of what Epcot was supposed to be. WDW was designed to have a ton of space so there'd be room to expand, so I don't get why amazing legacy attractions are knocked out to make room for new things - looking at you Horizons and World of Motion. :cry: Anyway, FEA is fun and we'd do it again, it just belongs somewhere else.

We decided to head out soon and made our way to Soarin' and Living with the Land and caught this killer sunset on the way over!
20180828_000015154_iOS.jpg

I told myself I'd be firm on Soarin' about getting into the middle, but I didn't - we got on the edge and everything was bendy. Too bad since it really does affect the overall aesthetic of the attraction. Then we went through the Land, then, since we still had time, made our way across Future World to do single rider on Test Track. I prefer the original TT, although the new one is still fun. I can't believe I've never noticed the original World of Motion logos all over the attraction. That's a nice little tribute to Epcot legacy.
20180828_004314860_iOS.jpg

That's it for our night at Epcot. Tomorrow we head out early to DHS again.

Attachments

• AK_EXPEDITIONEVERESTRIDE_20180827_413107190813.jpg
    AK_EXPEDITIONEVERESTRIDE_20180827_413107190813.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 116

slipperalwaysfits

Enjoying reading your anniversary trip report! What a nice getaway for you two!! Funny how you gave the rival team a "side eye." I'm from the West Coast, so I count how many Washington Huskies shirts I see in my week in WDW (last time it was 5) and whenever I see "Washington State," well, sideeye :) Most WestCoasters go to Disneyland, but it's still fun to see people with Husky shirts!
I'm eager to check out TSL in the dark and I can't wait for Slinky Dog! The only thing I'm dreading about our trip is the wait for Alien Saucers in the heat :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Good luck to your son at school!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom