20k site play area???

RedBaron

I will say that a play ground will look much better than unused space, however I will say that I am disappointed. I hope this area is temporary and that a nice attraction will go in that area soon. It just seems odd to me that there isnt enough for kids to do there that they still need a playground? My daughter is only 8 months old now, so I maybe when we take her I will be thankful to have a playground? I guess only time will tell.

Captain Chaos

My question now is, does anyone fear that if this playground is a hit with the parents and kids, Disney will make it permanent? I can see that happening. Parents can sit back and relax while watching their kids in the play area. Kids will be wanting to go play with Pooh. I fear this could become a permanent fixture. But, if what people are saying is true, then the little space this will take up should not prevent Disney from building a new attraction.

speck76

RedBaron said:
I will say that a play ground will look much better than unused space, however I will say that I am disappointed. I hope this area is temporary and that a nice attraction will go in that area soon. It just seems odd to me that there isnt enough for kids to do there that they still need a playground? My daughter is only 8 months old now, so I maybe when we take her I will be thankful to have a playground? I guess only time will tell.

I think it is nice....it is a place where parents can take the kids to blow of some energy, and they won't have to wait in line for an hour or longer to have fun.

Shaman

speck76 said:
I think it is nice....it is a place where parents can take the kids to blow of some energy, and they won't have to wait in line for an hour or longer to have fun.

You know it amazing....with such a huge park(s)...so many things to ride...the lil ones just love the little fountain play areas...maybe even more than Stitch..(gasp!)....

Perhaps Disney IS onto something here...

speck76

objr said:
You know it amazing....with such a huge park(s)...so many things to ride...the lil ones just love the little fountain play areas...maybe even more than Stitch..(gasp!)....

Perhaps Disney IS onto something here...

you are correct....I have seen children have more fun in the fountain than riding IaSW or Peter Pan.......

Mr. Incredible

Although my kids don't much care for Pooh, this sounds like a good idea. The last time I was at MK it was just no fun being confronted with that big green wall. Hopefully, this proposed play area will connect with Toontown.

I am all for Disney making this a playground for small children. I know that my grandchildren as well as many mentioned before, would love to have a place to get out of the stroller and just play. I do believe that it will reduce a lot of congestion in Fantasyland and ToonTown. I also believe that Disney has realized that families with small children are a large part of their best clients and to make an area for small children will be a plus for young families. Those of you wanting more dark rides seem really selfish as you have recently gotten and are going to be getting some of the best rides around and I think it is time for Disney to create something just for small children.

speck76

DisneyGrandma said:
Those of you wanting more dark rides seem really selfish as you have recently gotten and are going to be getting some of the best rides around and I think it is time for Disney to create something just for small children.

I agree.....although some would argue that Disney should create attractions that have mass appeal.....I do not think doing so would be good.....Many attractions that would appeal to adults would lose kids, and the opposite is true also.

Also, with so many non-traditional families, empty-nesters, and people not having kids.....this concept no longer works universally.

Something for everyone....not everything for everyone!

Lauriebar

I wonder, is there a height restriction for the play area like the ones that other children's play places (such as McDonalds) has? If this indeed geared toward younger children it could be dangerous to have older children playing in the same area.

cenopeid

Man I hope there is a height restriction.I can't tell you how many times my toddlers have gotten run over by kids that were practically teenagers.
I love the rides but I think the playground is a good idea.Kids need a place to run wild.The way I see it...if all the kids are doing the playground bit then maybe other ride lines won't be as bad and there won't be as many grouchy,screaming kids bouncing all over the place.
When I went in December 2004 I heard a CM tell the people next to me that they plan on putting something similar to the Materhorn there eventually.I have never been to Disneyland so I really have no idea on how to feel about that.

CTXRover

dxer07002 said:
My question now is, does anyone fear that if this playground is a hit with the parents and kids, Disney will make it permanent? I can see that happening. Parents can sit back and relax while watching their kids in the play area. Kids will be wanting to go play with Pooh. I fear this could become a permanent fixture. But, if what people are saying is true, then the little space this will take up should not prevent Disney from building a new attraction.

Personally, if it is themed nicely and well-put together and is the small little hit among the little ones that I anticipate it could be, I do see the potential of it becoming a permanent little area.

But even as you point out, the area being used for this play area and expanded walkway around Pooh is really only replacing the area where the thematically out-of-place covered queue area for 20K was located and a small portion of the one corner of the lagoon. Really, one could look at it as the play area is replacing the "Character Festival" meet-n-greet that was in that area after 20K closed. Its quite a strecth to say its replacing the lot of land where 20K sat.

In fact, I'd say only 5-10% of the now usable/reclaimed land will be taken up by this play area. A major new E-ticket on the size/scale of Haunted Mansion could still easily fit in this area, even with the play area there...as I mentioned earlier.

Captain Hank

As big and as child-geared as MK is, there are very few places in the park where kids can blow off steam and have some spontaneous fun. About all I can think of is Toon Park (lame) and the area near Splash Mountain (small). As much as I'd love to see something along the lines of an E or D-ticket right now, I think this is actually a pretty good idea. Plus, there appears to be more than enough room for a decent attraction. I think I'll be happy as long as that land doesn't

A: Sit unused for a really long time--we haven't had a major attraction addition in a few years.
or
B: Turn into a bank of shops or meet and greets--we have enough of both already.

Oh, and I doubt this will be an off the shelf swing and slide playground. It's Fantasyland and it isn't Pressler. I have no doubt that they'll theme this decently.

DSpear456

Relax, there is still plenty of space left. Besides, when mgmt announced their plans for the area they stated that the land will be made for something temporary with plans for a major e-ticket attraction to be constructed some time into the future. Only time will tell. Until then you can all join me in the queue for Tigger's Terrific Topsy Turvy Slide.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
The Sandbox is where the Super Secret Decoder rings will be buried for those guests whose finger scan went "according to plan" and will be given further instruction via those rings.

So sayeth the Grand Poobah.

speck76

bgraham34 said:
Boring I think. I dont have kids but still they should put something of more value. More excitement in that area.

Eventually, something good will go into that area.

To have the ability to add an attraction for children, without killing the possibility of a major attraction in the future....I am not sure what the issue is.

Even if they started work on a major E-ticket today, it would not be completed for at least 2 years. The fact that they can add something, and have it done within a few months.......that is not a bad thing.

At least it is not a Dino-Rama, or taking up the entire area......

Dj Corona

Well as long as it's only temporary, anything beats looking at a big, blue wall I guess...i'd prefer a giant statue of Mr.Toad mooning Pooh's ride, but oh well.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Dj Corona said:
Well as long as it's only temporary, anything beats looking at a big, blue wall I guess...i'd prefer a giant statue of Mr.Toad mooning Pooh's ride, but oh well.

:lol:

What is slightly annoying is that after 10 years, this is still the net result of the largest single plot in the MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom