2022 The Wonder of Alaskan Cruise - The Second Time Around

ZapperZ

Original Poster
This was the pin for the Alaska cruise this season. Unfortunately, there was only one pin.
Alaska pin.jpg

Strangely enough, you wouldn't have known about the existence of this pin during the cruise if you did not ask for it. The pin was not on display anywhere. You had to know it existed and you have to ask for it from the Cast Member at the store.

A strange way to sell (or not sell) something.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Recap - Day 1

We followed the instructions given by DCL to show up only during out time window (11:45-12:00). We got a cab and got to the port within the time window. Our luggage were taken and checked in, but we have to go across the street for our embarkation testing. This was confusing, stressful, and wish there were more clear direction.

Turned out a lot of people didn't follow the instruction, because the first line we were in was for those people who should show up between 12:00-12:15, and it was already a very long line. We didn't know that at the beginning, but someone in front of us sent a scout and discovered that there was another line for those who were in our time window, so we rushed to there. The line was already moving.

I didn't snap any pic at all during this time because, honestly, it was stressful. We did the test and we sat in the waiting area to wait for the e-mail and also for the Safe Passage website to indicate that we're negative. That took about 15 minutes.

After that, we had to walk back across the street to Canada Place, and walk almost 3/4 of the length of the darn thing before we got to the check-in terminal. We got our first good glimpse of The Wonder.
IMG_7279.JPG

The check-in went relatively fast. This is where they verified that you have tested negative. They don't give you your lanyard and keycard during check-in anymore. Then we walked half-way back to immigration and customs (thus, my earlier mention of a LOT of walking). Remember that you're leaving Canada and entering the US, so you have to go through two sets of immigrations. If you have Global Entry, pay attention! There is a separate Global Entry line that helped you bypass the muggles. You will need to show your Global Entry card to enter the line, but once you're in it, the immigration officer that we encountered didn't want to see our cards, just our passports.

{Hint: This is where a neck pouch that is able to hold your (i) passport (ii) cards and (iii) phone will be very handy.}

That was the last of the official business that we had to go through. After that, we got to an empty what-used-to-be-a-waiting-area. We decided to pause there, make sure all our documents are back in our pouches and bags, and wait for another couple in our party to get to use so that we could board together.

The walk along the gangway up to the ship was always exciting.
IMG_7282.JPG

We got on board, and were immediately whisked to Azure where they helped us setup the Navigator app and made sure we knew how to use it, and what to do next with knowing how to do the muster drill. We check our muster station, and we have to use the app to take a scan of the muster station number to prove that we were aware of its location to complete the muster drill. You must do this before the ship can set sail. I remember that a few names were announced later that afternoon asking the passengers to complete the muster drill.

After we did that, we went to Deck 9 to have lunch at Cabanas.
IMG_7287.JPG

IMG_7291.JPG

That first plate of food was delicious, and it was then that many of us collectively breathed a sigh of relief. We finally made it! I also had my first cocktail of the cruise! :D

After lunch, we walked around the top deck a bit. It was all fully-decked out for the sail-away party.
IMG_7297.JPG

{cont....}

ZapperZ

Original Poster
{... cont.}

We got to our state room for the first time, and settled in a bit. I spent some time unpacking, etc., freshened up, and just chilling out before heading back up to Deck 10 for sailing off.

When we went back down to the atrium area for our dinner seating, the atrium was filled with characters and even a few ship officers welcoming the passengers onto the ship.

IMG_7308.JPG

IMG_7324.JPG

IMG_7330.JPG

IMG_7334.JPG

Our first dinner seating was at Tiana.
IMG_7355.JPG

After dinner, a few people in our group wanted to do something else, but it was 10:00 pm and we were exhausted, so we called it a night. When we came back to our state room, we encountered our first towel animal.
IMG_7358.JPG

It was a very good start to the cruise.

Zz.

ChuckElias

Recap - Day 1

We followed the instructions given by DCL to show up only during out time window (11:45-12:00). We got a cab and got to the port within the time window. Our luggage were taken and checked in, but we have to go across the street for our embarkation testing. This was confusing, stressful, and wish there were more clear direction.

@lostpro9het , would you care to comment? :)

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Recap - Day 2

Day was our first full day, and it was a day at sea. The weather continued to be foggy and overcast, almost the same type of weather that was at Vancouver when we left the previous day. It was also on the chilly side.

A few passengers were out and about as I walked around the top deck.
d2-1.JPG
d2-2.JPG
d2-3.JPG
d2-3a.JPG

Even though it was chilly, I still wanted to hang out on the deck. So I found a nice lounge chair, and bundled up with a few towels. I could have gotten a couple of blankets, but I was too lazy to go look for them.
d2-4.JPG

{cont....}

ZapperZ

Original Poster
{...cont}

I also walked around the lower decks. The princesses were out in the atrium.
d2-4a.JPG

I participated in my first shipboard activity. I made my own Mardi Gras mask. Minnie was there helping us along.
d2-5.JPG
d2-6.JPG

That evening, it was our dinner at Palo, and the biggest letdown of the entire cruise (yes, it happened waaaaay in the beginning).

This was the amuse bouche from the chef. It was quite a pleasent way to start off the meal. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was some sort of a pate.
d2-7.JPG

I didn't go for the prix fixe dinner, but instead opted for the ala carte because I wanted the lamb chops (which was not included in the ala carte).

I ordered this as my appetizer.
d2-8.JPG

I'll skip the main course for now, and just show you the expected dessert, which of course was the chocolate souffle.
d2-9.JPG

{cont...}

ZapperZ

Original Poster
{... cont.}

Now comes the disappointment. I've ordered lamb chops multiple times at Palo, and on various ships. The one I got on this cruise was a HUGE disappointment, both in terms of the portion and in terms of the flavor. As I have mentioned earlier in this trip report, I have photographic evidence of how different it has become, and how unsatisfying this current version is.

Here was what I got on the cruise (Disney Wonder 2022):
palo2022.JPG

Compare that to the nearest comparison to it, which was also on The Disney Wonder, Alaska Cruise, but in 2018:
palo2018.JPG

Going back some more, this was Palo on the Disney Fantasy in 2016:
palo2016.JPG

And finally, the one that I claimed back then as being THE BEST lamb chops that I ever had, served at Palo on The Disney Dream in 2012:
palo2012.JPG

You tell me from the pics if you see the significant differences.

My only hope here is that this is temporary because of the supply issue. Otherwise, with their new menu set, I don't think it is worth the money to dine at Palo anymore.

That was how we ended our Day 2.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Recap - Day 3.

Day 3 was a biggie and one of the two highlights of the entire cruise. There was only one excursion offered that day, and it was the Glacier Expedition.

Unlike the previous two days, we woke up to mostly clear skies and bright sunshine. The temp. was still expected to be in the high 50's, but we were all prepared to be on the water. It was such a different outlook than the foggy, cloudy days that we had since we left Vancouver.
d3-1.JPG

d3-2.JPG

The scenery had also change considerably. The sides are closer to the ship, and we can see a lot more snow-covered peaks.
d3-3.JPG

d3-4.JPG

We also started to see small icebergs, or bergy bits. Our ship was steadily making its way to Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier.
d3-5.JPG

We assembled in the Walt Disney Theater around 9:30 am for the first group. There will be two catamarans that will take the first group that morning. By the time we got ready to board, the ship has already reached the opening of Endicott Arm.

We were in the first, lead catamaran, and were the first one to leave the ship while the second catamaran was still being boarded. Here we were, leaving the Wonder as we head further down Endicott Arm and toward Dawes Glacier.
d3-6a.JPG

d3-6b.JPG

The catamaran moved rather fast, and soon, we could hardly see the ship anymore.
d3-6c.JPG

d3-6d.JPG

The catamaran's captain slowed down to get closer to the edge of the fjords and gave us a closer look at the flora and fauna of the place. This allowed the second catamaran to finally catch up with us. If you look very, very closely, you can see the Wonder in the far distance following us.
d3-6e.JPG

{cont....}

ZapperZ

Original Poster
{... cont.}

The view as we head to Dawes Glacier was spectacular. We got to slow down and looked at waterfalls and all kinds of nature features.
d3-7.JPG

d3-8.JPG

d3-9.JPG

d3-10.JPG

d3-11.JPG

But all of these were simply to whet our appetite for the main event as we could see the beginnings of Dawes Glacier in the distance.
d3-12.JPG

{cont....}

ZapperZ

Original Poster
{... cont.}

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, Dawes Glacier at Endicott Arm. And yes, we got THAT close!

d3-13.JPG

d3-14.JPG

d3-15.JPG

d3-16.JPG

The catamaran captain moved the vessel quite a bit, so we got to see it from many different angles, and going slightly to the right, we could see the two glaciers coming down to meet each other before the plunged into the water.

d3-17.JPG

d3-18.JPG
d3-19.JPG

d3-20.JPG

I lost track of time. Honest, I did! I didn't know how long we were there, and I didn't care! We had more than enough time to snap as many photos as we want, to move about the boat to get the best views, etc. All one ever wanted to do to see the glacier, there was ample time to do that and more.

And oh, while we were there, they also collected a few bergy bits to bring back to the ship.

{cont....}

ZapperZ

Original Poster
{... cont}

As we meander at the mouth of the glacier, we also spotted something else that was interesting. Look closely at one of the floating ice in front of the big one.
d3-20a.JPG

Still can't see anything? Luckily, our captain decided to circle around it and we got a closer look, but not close enough to scare them off. They were a couple of baby sea lions sunning on the ice float.
d3-20b.JPG

d3-20c.JPG

Our sister catamaran joined us for all the fun and excitement.
d3-21.JPG

It was a spectacular time, and everyone had a big smile on their faces as we turned around and made our way back to the Wonder.
d3-22.JPG

d3-23.JPG

But then, much to our surprise, the Wonder's captain also decided that those who remained on the ship should also get a spectacular view of the glacier. I was surprised at how close he maneuver the ship (not as close as to where we got), but those on board should also get quite a view of it. We continued to follow the ship as it inched toward the glacier, resulting in this series of photos that my friend thought I "photoshopped" the ship against the glacier background. I certainly did not! :)

d3-24.JPG

d3-25.JPG

d3-26.JPG

d3-27.JPG

The Wonder got close, then made a 180-degree turn, going from one side of the fjord to the the other. We got to see all this from off the ship, which was AWESOME!

{cont....}

ZapperZ

Original Poster
{...cont}

When we finally got back onto the Wonder, we were starving. As much as we wanted to continue with looking at the surroundings, we had to eat something.

As were were having a late lunch, we heard the two catamaran leaving the ship, carrying the second group on their expedition. This time, the Wonder turned around and start heading back out to the beginning of Endicott Arm. This means that the second expedition would have to catch up with the Wonder after their expedition.

After lunch, we heard the crew bringing up the ice that was collected from the water. Wow! There were HEAVY!
d3-28.JPG

We rested the rest of the day. When evening came, we just strolled along the deck, reflecting on what a spectacular day we had. We wondered if there's anything else during the cruise that could top this.

d3-29.JPG

d3-30.JPG

Zz.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Wow, what great photos from your glacier excursion.

Coincidentally, I was just looking at my 2018 photos as I start to get ready for my August sailing on the Wonder, and we had a cold, misty and overcast glacier day, so my photos look quite different!! The Wonder did the same then, sailing very far up the fjord so that we could get as close as possible for those who didn't do the excursion. It's startling to compare the photos and see how much larger that glacier was in 2018.

ChuckElias

I'm loving your pics! Your glacier day was very different from ours in 2011. The ship sailed up Tracy Arm and got very close to the glacier, but there were no excursions or expeditions. We all just stood on Deck 10 to watch.

I'm really trying not to show my pics in your thread, but this one is too similar not to share. We came across this guy on the trip up Tracy Arm. :)

DSCN0871.JPG

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Love your glacier photos! Reminds me of Iceland. What did the crew do with the ice?
I was wondering that, too. I'm kind of surprised that it's even legal to take the ice out of the water.

A few of the guests got chunks out of the ice to add to their drinks. The ice was just left on Deck 9 to melt.

I don't think there's any law against taking the ice out of the water. It isn't a "protected" item, since it is just compressed ice that was going to melt anyway. The Naturalist that was on the Wonder was there when they took the ice out and was on deck to explain to the guests why the ice tend to look blueish.

Zz.

Last edited:

RememberWhen

A few of the guests got chunks out of the ice to add to their drinks. The ice was just left on Deck 9 to melt.

I don't think there's any law against taking the ice out of the water. It isn't a "protected" item, since it is just compressed ice that was going to melt anyway. The Naturalist that was on the Wonder was there when they took the ice out and was on deck to explain to the guests why the ice tend to look blueish.

Zz.
I was definitely hoping for some kind of special “glacier cocktail” but education is okay too.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Recap - Day 4

Day 4 was our first port-of-call, which was Skagway. When we were here back in 2018, we did the White Pass Railroad, so we decided to do something different this time. Our excursion was supposed to be a boat ride to Haines, a scenic tour of the surrounding area, and a forest walk.

The weather was perfect when we pulled into Skagway. A couple of other cruise ships had already docked.
d4-1.JPG

d4-2.JPG

Soon it was time for us to get off the Wonder and meet our transportation to take us to the boat dock to go the Haines.
d4-3.JPG

d4-4.JPG

Unfortunately, there was a considerable delay in us getting onto the boat. It arrived a bit late, and there was some mechanical issues that they had to take care of. So we were delayed probably between 1/2 hour to 45 mins.

We finally got on our boat. We had a good look at the Wonder as we left Skagway for Haines.
d4-5.JPG

Looking back as we left Skagway.
d4-6.JPG

{cont....|

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom