2022 The Wonder of Alaskan Cruise - The Second Time Around

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Hello Friends.

It's been awhile since we got to go back onto a Disney cruise, but we're doing it! We're doing it this time!

We are a day away from flying to Vancouver, BC, arriving just a few days before the start of our Disney's Alaska Cruise. The last time we did this cruise was back in 2018. It was just a wonderful cruise that we planned on going on another Alaska cruise in 2021, but of course, we all know what happened then.

This time around, the trip is a bit more tedious since we have to go through not only all the requirements of DCL for vaccination, etc, but also for Canada with the ArriveCAN app. Luckily, everything seems to be ship-shaped (fingers crossed, pun intended) other than one final COVID test right before embarkation. Of course, they've announced that they'll suspend this embarkation testing starting June 7, but that doesn't apply to us.

Our itinerary this time will be slightly different than the one we went through back in 2018. We won't be visiting Icy Strait Point, and we will have an entire day at Juneau. We have a few excursions planned. Since I didn't get to clearly see lots of whales during the last trip, I have over-compensated with this trip and we should have at least three different excursions with a considerable chance of whale sighting (fingers crossed once again). No zipline this time, unlike the previous trip, but we hope to get a closer look at Dawes Glacier since we booked an excursion there when we are at Endicott Arm.

And of course, food. On our second night, we will be having dinner at Palo. I hear that the self-served buffet at Cabanas is back. I hope this is true on the Wonder on this trip (running out of fingers to cross).

But of course, before we get on the ship, we will have 2 full days in Vancouver, a city that we've grown to love. We will explore the city a bit, but with no solid plans on what to do.

I will try and report live whenever I can (i.e. whenever I have wifi or cell service), but probably not during the first 3 days of the cruise when we will be at sea. We will get to Skagway on Day 4. I still have lots of packing to do, and I hope I'm not bringing too much, especially when I have to pack for both warm and cold weather clothing. I also must not forget Donald.

Zz.

Last edited:

ZapperZ

Original Poster
I'm finally all packed (phew!). Luggage weighs 39.5 lbs with an extra duffel bag in it, so not bad considering that I have jeans, 2 pairs of shoes, puffer jacket, sweatshirt, etc.

Donald is all set and secure in my carry-on bag.
IMG_7132.JPG

We get picked up around 8 am tomorrow, so I'm calling it a day and getting ready for bed. Good night!

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Good morning!

I'm all showered and dressed. Still have about 1 1/2 hours till our cab shows up. I think I'm all packed and can't think of anything that we may have forgotten.

There will be a group of 6 of us from here going on this trip. Four of us (including me) are on the same flight to Vancouver, and another two will be there by tonight on a different flight. We had a bit of kerfu*kle with the airline a couple of weeks ago when they cancelled our return flight and rebooked us on a mid-morning flight out of YVR, which we would not be able to make from disembarkation/covid test/trip to airport. Could not change our flight online and 4-5 hr wait on the phone. Finally got through last Sunday when I called at 7:00 am ("only" 1-2 hr wait!) and straightened things out.

Anyhow, I'm determined not to let that ruin my vacation. Have a few more things to check off the list before I can just sit back, relax, and wait for the cab.

See you at the airport!

Zz.

ChuckElias

they cancelled our return flight and rebooked us on a mid-morning flight

This happened to us also last month for our Dream cruise out of Port Canaveral. Spirit cancelled our return flight and had NOTHING available until 2 days later. We ended up renting a car and driving to Ft. Lauderdale to get home. Glad yours got straightened out. Have a MAGICAL sailing!

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Good morning!

It's a chilly morning here in Vancouver. I went to bed early last night, and woke up at 4 am. I guess I'm still on Chicago time.

We don't have anything planned for today other than our entire group meeting at Nero Waffle Bar at around 11 am. I visited this place on my last trip here and had wanted to go back ever since. I'd probably do a bit of shopping since I saw a Daiso on the way to the hotel, and I know there's an H-mart nearby as well. And of course, there is Japadog probably for dinner.

We may go to the aquarium tomorrow, but it depends on what the group wants to do. It's nice not to have anything planned and just go whatever one feels like doing.

BTW, have Starbucks Mobile ordering not come to Canada yet? We can use Starbucks card from the US, but it appears that none of the Starbucks accept mobile ordering. Can't remember the last time I had to stand in line and place my order at a Starbucks! :). Yes, yes, I know that I'm spoiled rotten.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Found a hole-in-the-wall place called Manoush’eh. The food was outstanding. It is a Syrian (Levantine) cuisine, something that is not commonly found in most places.

I wanted to order more but ended up with the kefta and the sham style bread. We inhaled the whole thing in no time.
16432C29-AADF-4C40-B512-23AF9BA94985.jpeg

The good thing is that we have 2 more full days here after today. I may get to go back and try something else.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Good morning, and another lovely morning here in Vancouver.

Today we go to Stanley Park, and more specifically, to the aquarium. This will probably take most of the day.

We did the arriveCAN app once more last night, this time for the cruise. It's a bit more confusing this time because it took a bit of time to decipher if what they were asking was about our "going" or "coming" back into Canada after the cruise. But eventually we sorted it out and got our QR code for coming back into Canada when the cruise ended. We will be heading out straight to YVR after the cruise.

Yesterday was a fun, foodie day. Nero Waffle Bar on Seymour St was as delicious and as pleasant as I remembered it from 4 years ago. The staff there are so freaking friendly and nice! No wonder they are always busy and often have a line of people waiting for tables. Highly recommended.

But the highlight yesterday was definitely our find of Manoush'eh. If you followed my Oahu/Aulani report, you'll know that I cherish finding hole-in-the-wall-that-only-locals-know-about joints. I crave for places like this. And not being familiar with Syrian cuisine, this was a double-coupon great discovery. Food was delicious, owner was very nice and friendly, and you get to see him prepare the food to order and cook 'em in the brick oven. I mean, I can stay there all day and just watch!

Oh, there's one thing that I forgot to mention earlier. It seems that DVC has made quite an effort to reach out to members lately, and in particular, members who are about to go on a cruise. All 6 of us on this cruise are DVC members, and we received phone calls from a DVC rep checking up on us and see how we were doing in preparing for the crusie. in fact, we got a phone call from a DVC rep while we were waiting for our flight to Seattle a couple of days ago. And just as a pleasant coincidence, we got a new DVC rep who called us a couple of weeks ago and telling us that he will be on this Alaska cruise and would like us to come and see him. Of course we said that we will.

It's kinda nice that they are doing this now. We've been on many Disney cruises as DVC members, and I don't recall DVC calling to check up on us or to ask if we had any questions or problems. I hope that this is something that they will continue doing for the members.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Breakfast was fine. It was a no-nonsense old-fashioned diner that serves good quality food. The rosemary breakfast potatoes was yummy, almost as good as mine! 😁

now I'm filled up and ready to take on the day. We have a cab picking us up to meet the rest of our party near stanley park.

Zz.

ChuckElias

Found a hole-in-the-wall place called Manoush’eh. The food was outstanding. It is a Syrian (Levantine) cuisine, something that is not commonly found in most places.

I wanted to order more but ended up with the kefta and the sham style bread. We inhaled the whole thing in no time.
View attachment 639971

The good thing is that we have 2 more full days here after today. I may get to go back and try something else.

Zz.

I'm of Lebanese descent, and my family makes our own maneesh. We top ours with a zaatar/oil mixture. Mmmmmmm. Glad you liked it.

We also regularly make kefta from a recipe in Epcot's Food and Wine Festival Cookbook. (Just to keep this post about Disney :) )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom