2021 NCAA Football Thread (and beyond)

Dad 2 M & M

First piece of news? This goody

The defined pieces:

- 6 highest ranked Conference Champions get automatic bid
- the next 6 CFP highest ranked teams will get at large bids
- The top 4 will be the highest ranked Conference Champions....these will get the 1st round bye
- Seeds 5-8 would host the 1st round at their home stadiums - big revenue
- Seeds 1-4 would be the Home Team is the 2nd Round, but at a Neutral site

A Look at the Final Regular Season CFP Rankings from 2019 (Last Real Season, I cut at 17 as Memphis would be the Final 6 Conference Champion))

1 LSU

2 Ohio State

3 Clemson

4 Oklahoma

5 Georgia

6 Oregon

7 Baylor

8 Wisconsin

9 Florida

10 Penn State

11 Utah

12 Auburn

13 Alabama

14 Michigan

15 Notre Dame

16 Iowa

17 Memphis

Question is are the 6th Highest Ranked Conference Champions SEEDED 1-6? If So, here would have been the 1st Round Matchups:

12 Memphis @ 5 Georgia
11 Utah @ 6 Oregon (3rd Matchup and 2 games in a row as they just played for the Pac Championship)
10 Penn State @ 7 Baylor
9 Florida @ 8 Wisconsin

*If Conference Champions get Seeds 1-6, here would have been the 1st round Match ups:

12 Utah @ 5 Oregon (3rd Matchup and 2 games in a row as they just played for the Pac Championship)
11 Penn State @ 6 Memphis
10 Florida @ 7 Georgia

9 Wisconsin @ 8 Baylor

*Assumes this is 5-12 would have been
5 Oregon, 6 Memphis, 7 Georgia, 8 Baylor, 9 Wisconsin, 10 Florida, 11 Penn State, 12 Utah

Ranking Inflation
This will lead to rank inflation as the final few spots will now be out of the top ten.

Surprisingly, Seed 1-4 would LOSE revenue as they would NOT HOST a CFP game

Would the New Years 6 be the Host sites for the 2nd Round and Semi Finals? The Math would work as the 2nd round would be 4 Games, and the Semis would be 2 Games. The Championship could still be awarded as it is in the current fashion.

Last edited:

Dad 2 M & M

Another thought here, using the SEC as an example.

- Georgia - would make the CFP yearly under this format
- Georgia Florida LOSER would be in good shape to make it as well. Assuming they are watching the SEC Championship from home, they would in most years have two r less losses and thus be in good shape to be un the Top 12.
- Georgia would have made it last year would have lost to two teams in the CFP

Last edited:

Dad 2 M & M

The BIGGEST thing I missed!!

This will be a true BRACKET, no reseeding after the 1st round!!

So the Winner of 8/9 would play #1, 7/10 would play #2, etc......that is a much bigger deal than it would seem

Lilofan

Famous coach Bobby Bowden advised he is at peace since the announcement of an undisclosed terminal illness. God bless you Coach!

seascape

With Oklahoma and Texas joining the SEC, the ACC should add West Virginia, USF and UCF and become an 18 team conference, provided they get Notre Dame to join in Football as they are in the ACC for all other sports. The Big10 and Pac10 should also expand. In the end we should end up with 4 conferences of 18 teams.

Lilofan

With Oklahoma and Texas joining the SEC, the ACC should add West Virginia, USF and UCF and become an 18 team conference, provided they get Notre Dame to join in Football as they are in the ACC for all other sports. The Big10 and Pac10 should also expand. In the end we should end up with 4 conferences of 18 teams.
Clemson would love UCF/ USF as cupcakes on their schedule.

seascape

Clemson would love UCF/ USF as cupcakes on their schedule.
I heard there are rumours of Clemson also joining the SEC. If that's possible, the Big 10 should sign Syracuse and Boston College giving them the New York State and New England market. Can you imagine the SEC and Big 10 each expanding to 20 teams made up of 4 Division of 5 teams and two rounds of playoffs. So who would be the other 2 members of the Big 10 and the one other team from for the SEC come from? Maybe North Carolina to the big 10 and a Florida team for each?

Possible schedule. 4 Division games, 1 game against each of the other divisions makes 7 conference games. Then 2 games for each Big 10 team against SEC teams. 2 games against teams outside of the SEC and Big 10. That leaves one game to make 12 and it could be the last week of the season and against a team in the same possession in another division in your league, i.e. 2nd place I Division A against 2nd place team in Division B. This would also be the round 1 playoff.

Lilofan

I heard there are rumours of Clemson also joining the SEC. If that's possible, the Big 10 should sign Syracuse and Boston College giving them the New York State and New England market. Can you imagine the SEC and Big 10 each expanding to 20 teams made up of 4 Division of 5 teams and two rounds of playoffs. So who would be the other 2 members of the Big 10 and the one other team from for the SEC come from? Maybe North Carolina to the big 10 and a Florida team for each?

Possible schedule. 4 Division games, 1 game against each of the other divisions makes 7 conference games. Then 2 games for each Big 10 team against SEC teams. 2 games against teams outside of the SEC and Big 10. That leaves one game to make 12 and it could be the last week of the season and against a team in the same possession in another division in your league, i.e. 2nd place I Division A against 2nd place team in Division B. This would also be the round 1 playoff.
Good thing if it happens. The SEC is much a much tougher group than playing in the ACC, my take on it.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
Okla. St. prez rips OU for 'planning with SEC'

Missouri Tigers AD Jim Sterk to step down after five years; will remain until replacement found

Timmay

The Big 10 is actually more likely to raid the PAC 12. I fully expect to see USC, Colorado and UCLA move, and probably one other as well.

Slpy3270

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom