2024 NASCAR

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Original Poster
Seeing as how my driver has now retired i will be rooting for 2 this year.
20180206_170003.jpg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Just read about the 18 car pile-up at the end of the Xfinity race yesterday! :eek:

Anyway, everyone enjoy the 500 today. This is always my favorite race of the entire season. :happy:

(By the way, if you ever get to Daytona (during the year), they have a Richard Petty ride-along on the track. It's very exciting--I did that years ago. Think it was 3 laps around, and the driver got up to approx. 170 mph! But the scariest part was when he would drive very high up on the banks. It seemed like the car was going to fly off the edge into the stands!) :jawdrop: :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
What an exciting race! All heck breaks loose in the 500 in the last few laps (the last 7 yesterday). Love the big track races--three across, and they're all hungry to be first at the finish line).

Although I was sad that #4 (Harvick) got wrecked in the first pile-up earlier in the race, I am happy for Austin Dillon, who won the race. Congratulations to him!! (I also love the photo that was referenced of him, when he was only 7 years old standing in Victory Lane next to Earnhardt--little did Austin know that 20 years later, he would be the winner of the Daytona 500!) :happy:

artvandelay

I enjoyed the race. At first I was bothered by Dillon taking Almirola out on the last lap, but after listening to Almirola explain what happened, I’m ok with it.

Big finish for Bubba Wallace and the 43 team. Bubba’s press conference was great too. A lot of emotion and humor.

Next week they race at Atlanta and the big teams that had bad Daytona 500’s will be in total command of the top 10.

patch553

on a whole I really enjoyed the race, first I was gutted for Blaney I thought he had it sown up, I may not be a huge fan of Almirola but his interview was top notch,all speedweeks the new front of the chevys have caused problems when bumping, really chuffed for bubba , hes a great guy has a great personality and has shown great speed all speedweeks fingers crossed he can continue for a strong year. I think I'm happier for Richard childress than Austin but congrats to the whole rcr team

wdwfan4ver

Has there ever been a bigger bust than Danica Patrick?
That is a very hard to say in terms of NASCAR for being the biggest bust.

The problem here is the the racing media has been dishonest about her from the beginning even before she entered NASCAR. The racing media was hyping her on not on talent, but by gender. I feel woman have the right to race like men do, but Danica wasn't worthy of all the coverage she got.

From a hype standpoint, she's biggest biggest bust in NASCAR. When you compare her accolades before going into NASCAR, I can name a bunch drivers that were busts that had better accolades than her. To me, Dario Franchitti is the biggest bust in NASCAR. Dario actually had a way better career than Danica Patrick in Indycar, but Dario wasn't able to last an entire season in NASCAR.

Top race teams were after Danica in NASCAR because she brought sponsor with a lot of money, not because of potential. The other reason Danica stayed so long in NASCAR was due to her marketability. After Godaddy changed management, that was her downfall because she needed performance.

The problem is the reality in her Indycar days was she was given too much exposure by the media considering how good she really was. Danica was a top 10 Indycar driver, but usually not a threat to win. Danica got a top 3 finish once in a while in Indycar including a fuel mileage win.

I've read in the past that her sponsor Godaddy dot com wanted her in NASCAR because NASCAR has a bigger fanbase than Indycar.

Based on what I mentioned about her before going into NASCAR, she really didn't have a shot to be successful in the cup series. Not all great Indycar drivers managed a successful career in NASCAR including the already mentioned Dario Franchitti. Dario was 3 time Indy 500 champ and a 4 time Indycar champion. Dario won races in Indycar before going to NASCAR and winning races after going back to Indycar after he left NASCAR.

The cause of successful drivers in Indycar not automatically being successful in NASCAR is caused by how different a stockcar and an Indycar is for how to drive. Tony Stewart was able to become a NASCAR legend because of natural talent of a driver. What I mentioned about Indycar to NASCAR also is very similar to the transitions from USAC to NASCAR, and Offroad racing to NASCAR, and Motorcross to NASCAR.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Original Poster
That is a very hard to say in terms of NASCAR for being the biggest bust.

The problem here is the the racing media has been dishonest about her from the beginning even before she entered NASCAR. The racing media was hyping her on not on talent, but by gender. I feel woman have the right to race like men do, but Danica wasn't worthy of all the coverage she got.

From a hype standpoint, she's biggest biggest bust in NASCAR. When you compare her accolades before going into NASCAR, I can name a bunch drivers that were busts that had better accolades than her. To me, Dario Franchitti is the biggest bust in NASCAR. Dario actually had a way better career than Danica Patrick in Indycar, but Dario wasn't able to last an entire season in NASCAR.

Top race teams were after Danica in NASCAR because she brought sponsor with a lot of money, not because of potential. The other reason Danica stayed so long in NASCAR was due to her marketability. After Godaddy changed management, that was her downfall because she needed performance.

The problem is the reality in her Indycar days was she was given too much exposure by the media considering how good she really was. Danica was a top 10 Indycar driver, but usually not a threat to win. Danica got a top 3 finish once in a while in Indycar including a fuel mileage win.

I've read in the past that her sponsor Godaddy dot com wanted her in NASCAR because NASCAR has a bigger fanbase than Indycar.

Based on what I mentioned about her before going into NASCAR, she really didn't have a shot to be successful in the cup series. Not all great Indycar drivers managed a successful career in NASCAR including the already mentioned Dario Franchitti. Dario was 3 time Indy 500 champ and a 4 time Indycar champion. Dario won races in Indycar before going to NASCAR and winning races after going back to Indycar after he left NASCAR.

The cause of successful drivers in Indycar not automatically being successful in NASCAR is caused by how different a stockcar and an Indycar is for how to drive. Tony Stewart was able to become a NASCAR legend because of natural talent of a driver. What I mentioned about Indycar to NASCAR also is very similar to the transitions from USAC to NASCAR, and Offroad racing to NASCAR, and Motorcross to NASCAR.
JPM was a dissapointment.

wdwfan4ver

JPM was a dissapointment.
He was a disappointment, but he was a mild one compared to Dario Franchitti. JPM actually almost won NASCAR races on ovals multiple times in his career and you can't say that about Dario Franchitti. Montoya almost won the 2009 and 2010 Brickyard 400s. If he won those, I think we might've looked at him a little bit differently. Circumstances prevented Montoya to win an additional 2 to 5 times in the cup series even without the 2 Brickyard 400 races.

While Montoya to me had the more impressive resume compare to Dario in Open Wheel Racing, I don't have Montoya overly high as a bust due to him making the chase once and did win a couple road course races in the cup series. If Montoya sealed the deal more like I mentioned, we would look upon his cup career being good, not great. We already would give credit to Montoya because he didn't race on Ovals after leaving Cart/Indycar for F1 and Montoya before going to NASCAR was limited in oval experience.

The other problem with Montoya in the cup series was I thought Chip was behind in equipment at times.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Darrell Wallace raced smartly at Daytona. The 43 car does not have a lot of races sponsors. The good news is the 43 car announced a new sponsor for Atlanta. The sponsor is the NASCAR racing experience. The catch is the NASCAR Racing experience is run by the same company that has the Richard Petty Driving Experience and the Mario Andretti Racing Experience and it sounds like it is a one race deal.

As far as the Daytona 500, I am not a bit shocked about the carnage. It was an exciting racing.

Wrecks can happen at any time in plate racing, but stage racing for points automatically increases the odds of a wreck for a restrictor plate race. To top the carnage off, NASCAR gave infinite green white check flags. I wouldn't be shocked if an underdog win a plate race this season or see an underdog getting a top 5 for that matter.

I've seen drivers won races by doing moves on restrictor plate track like Austin Dillon did. The good thing is Aric didn't going flying. I thought what Austin did is nothing out of the ordinary plus the fact is the Daytona 500 is the highest paid race of the year for NASCAR. I don't know the exact amount, but I'm assuming its over 1.5 million dollars to the winning race team.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom