2024 NASCAR

wdwfan4ver

Liberty University has signed a 5 year extension with Hendrick Motorsports. The contract is for sponsoring William Byron.

Joe Gibbs racing announced they renewed their Interstate Batteries sponsorship. Interstate Batteries will be sponsoring Kyle Busch and Ty Gibbs for multiple years. Interstate Batteries has been sponsoring JGR since 1992 and is one of the longest running sponsoring partnerships of all sports.

wdwfan4ver

Well that was interesting.
Anyone have thoughts ?
If your talking Martinsville incident between Bowman and Hamlin, that is a typical short track incident for the lead.

Hamlin being upset with Bowman is something I would expect due all the years of NASCAR short track racing I've watch. What Denny did though is something I'm surprised NASCAR didn't fine Denny for though. Blocking Bowman from doing a burnout is something thankfully there wasn't a wreck. That is almost up there with spinning a driver on pit road after the race and NASCAR does not like drivers spin another driver's car on pit road after the race.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Original Poster
If your talking Martinsville incident between Bowman and Hamlin, that is a typical short track incident for the lead.

Hamlin being upset with Bowman is something I would expect due all the years of NASCAR short track racing I've watch. What Denny did though is something I'm surprised NASCAR didn't fine Denny for though. Blocking Bowman from doing a burnout is something thankfully there wasn't a wreck. That is almost up there with spinning a driver on pit road after the race and NASCAR does not like drivers spin another driver's car on pit road after the race.
I am surprised also. Was expecting some sort of fine, as they wouldn't want to be seen to be having a hand in the championship. Denny seems to have a memory gap about spinning other drivers. I believe he put Elliot in the wall in a previous year and said after the race it had been a deliberate move.
The double zero got a penalty during Sunday's race for spinning someone under yellow so maybe come Wednesday there will be some sort of official action against the 11 ?

wdwfan4ver

I am surprised also. Was expecting some sort of fine, as they wouldn't want to be seen to be having a hand in the championship. Denny seems to have a memory gap about spinning other drivers. I believe he put Elliot in the wall in a previous year and said after the race it had been a deliberate move.
The double zero got a penalty during Sunday's race for spinning someone under yellow so maybe come Wednesday there will be some sort of official action against the 11 ?
I don't know, but hopefully. Yep, he did put Elliott in the wall deliberately in the past.

wdwfan4ver

There is big news on the race track front. Speedway Motorsports is going to acquire Dover Motorsports Inc.

Speedway Motorsports is the company that owns Bristol Motor Speedway, Atlanta Motor Speedway, Charlotte Motor Speedway, New Hampshire Motor Speedway, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Sonoma Raceway, Texas Motor speedway, Kentucky Speedway and North Wilkesboro.

Dover Motorsports is the company that owns Dover Motor Speedway and Nashville Super Speedway currently. What I know is there was a working relationship between the 2 companies earlier this fair concerning Nashville Super Speedway. There is a catch though because Speedway Motorsports in the past has bought tracks and took dates away at point like they did to New Hampshire Motor Speedway, Kentucky, and North Wilkesboro.

wdwfan4ver

Could be DiBenedetto? Ryan Newman?
DiBenedetto isn't likely based on what I read. It sounded like he burned his bridges at Ford and it sounded like he did stuff at Phoneix weekend that NASCAR almost prevented him from racing at Phoenix. All I am willing to say is he went political and NASCAR didn't like it.

I don't want to go farther than that since Wdwmagic doesn't want people to discus political. I also am not into discussing politics either.

Ryan Newman is an unknown. What I know about 38 cars history is Front Row Motorsports uses a driver that bringing money with them. I don't know how much money in sponsorship Newman brings.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

NASCAR announced Practice and Qualifying for the cup series, Xfinity series and truck series. NASCAR's qualifying is being called knockout qualifying.

The cup series has different qualifying rules depending on the nature of the type of track and what track it is.

NASCAR in the cup series has extended practices for Daytona 500, 1st Atlanta race, Bristol dirt race, WWT Raceway at Gateway, Nashville, and the 2nd phoenix race. Bristol dirt race gets 2 standard 50 minute practices for each group, Daytona 500, 1st Atlanta race, WWT Raceway at Gateway, Nashville and the 2nd Phoenix race gets 1 standalone 50 minute practice.

Rest of the oval races that aren't Super Speedway races only get 15 minutes of practice for each group. NASCAR has group A and Group B for practices and qualifying.

3 of the 4 Super speedway races in the cup series don't have practice at all.

Group a and Group B gets 20 minutes of road course practice each in the cup series.

I am mentioned the qualifying for the cup series in next post.

wdwfan4ver

Cup Series Bristol dirt race qualifying is 4 qualifying races. they determine the field and lineup for the main race, order based on random draw.

The Qualifying for ovals in cup series for Group A and Group B is each have separate round 1 qualifying with them being single car one lap except it the tracks are Bristol, Dover, Martinsville, and Richmond. Those tracks have 2 laps of qualifying for the all the rounds. Fastest 5 in each group makes it to the final round that combines group A and Group B on all oval tracks that aren't Superspeedways.

Super Speedway qualifying for cup series is no group qualifying at all. All cars have 1 lap and single car qualifying. Fastest 10 goes to final round. Final round has 10 cars doing l lap of single car qualifying.

Qualifying for the cup series for Road courses is 2 rounds. Group A and Group B have a timed 15 minute timed sessions. Fastest 5 in each group. Final round is 10 cars in a 10 minute timed session.

Xfinity and Truck Series mentioned in next post.

wdwfan4ver

There is differences in practice time for the trucks and Xfinity series compared to the Cup series when it comes to oval practice that is extended practice race weekends.

Xfinity Series has extended practices for 1st Daytona race, 1st Atlanta race, Portland, Nashville, and 2nd Phoenix Race. The truck series has extended practice weekends for Daytona, Atlanta, Bristol dirt Race, Knoxville, Sonoma, Mid-Ohio, Nashville and 2nd Phoenix Race. Those 2 series for the extra practice weekends are the same as the cup series.

The Super Speedway has no qualifying outside Daytona like the cup series.

The road Course practice for the Xfinity and Truck series is the same amount of time as the cup series. The dirt track practices for the Truck series is the same as the cup series.

All the qualifying for the Xfinity and Truck series is the same as the cup series when it comes to Dirt, ovals, Super Speedway and Road course qualifying.

wdwfan4ver

If practice qualifying for 2022 for NASCAR sounds confusing, you are not the only ones. My take is the practicing is too short and the qualifying is too short for Superspeedways. Super Speedways need a 2nd qualifying lap because of the time amount of time it takes to get up to speed.

What it seems like to me is NASCAR body does not want practice at all. The limited time for practice is a potential problem because it can take 1 accident or some mechanical problem to end a practice premature.

wdwfan4ver

Front Row Motorsports announced Todd Gilliland as the driver of the cup 38 car. What I know is Todd was Front Row Motorsports truck series driver for the last 2 seasons. Todd was a Toyota prospect that raced in Truck for Kyle Busch Motorsports before 2020. He also is the son of former Front Row Motorsports driver David Gilliland. I know Todd basically flamed out at Kyle Busch Motorsports, but it was a pressure thing and Kyle Busch Motorsports

He is only going to be 22 in May next year. What I gathered is Front Row decided to move up Todd Gilliland was due to the cup series having a next gen car and wouldn't as much of a disadvantage without Xfinity series experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom