• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

2021 NASCAR

wdwfan4ver

I didn't watch much of the race. Mcdowell winning the Daytona 500 is not as much as upset as people think. Michael Mcdowell now has 7 out of his 13 top 10's at Daytona and his crew chief now has his 3rd out of 4 career cup wins at Daytona. Front Row Motorsports is known for bringing good cars for Daytona and Talladega. Front Row from winning the Daytona 500 gets over 2 million dollars if the purse money is the same as last year.

Mcdowell was not going to be playoff driver before the win, but I saw him as a possible top 22 in points threat because he is not a bad road course driver and there are 6 of them during the regular season.

Mcdowell winning does not affect Bubba Wallace's chances of making the playoffs. I have Bubba not making the playoffs because this is new team despite having sponsorship money Bubba is not know as road course driver. I think Mcdowell is going to affect Matty D, Austin Dillon, Cole Custer, William Byron and Ross Chastain's odds of making the playoffs.

wdwfan4ver

Advertisement
Superstar Racing Experience announced Michael Waltrip as a driver. I am underwhelmed by this announcement. I don't like the last 2 driver picks.

I question why Superstar Racing Experience picked Michael Waltrip. Michael Waltrip actually was a racing champion, but it was in the Goody's dash series in 1983 at the age of 20 years old. He only lasted in NASCAR for the cup series so long due due to who his brother is and his connections.

Michael Waltrip actually was a better lower driver in the Xfinity series and I felt he could've been a champion if he was full time competitor. The problem Michael with the cup series is he only won 4 points paying races with all of them being restrictor plates. I felt his DEI ride era was him underachieving. Michael got the DEI ride because he was friends with Dale Sr. and due to his brother Darrell.

Michael with DEI had his 2001 Daytona 500 win, but only had 2 more top 10's compared to his teammate Steve Park in that season despite racing in 36 cup races that season. Steve Park before his career altering Busch series crash at Darlington had 1 win, 5 top 5's and 12 top 10's in just 24 cup series starts. What I'm getting at is Dale Earnhardt Jr. did not receiving all the good equipment at DEI at all and Michael didn't take advantage of it.

I know Greg Biffle last year wanted to join Superstar Racing Experience as a driver and I think he would've been a much better pick instead of Michael Waltrip. Michael was more popular and has Daytona 500 wins, but Greg had championships in higher levels than Michael Waltrip and has 15 more cup series wins despite Greg first being a full time cup series driver at an older age than Michael Waltrip was.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Superstar Racing Experience announced Michael Waltrip as a driver. I am underwhelmed by this announcement. I don't like the last 2 driver picks.

I question why Superstar Racing Experience picked Michael Waltrip. Michael Waltrip actually was a racing champion, but it was in the Goody's dash series in 1983 at the age of 20 years old. He only lasted in NASCAR for the cup series so long due due to who his brother is and his connections.

Michael Waltrip actually was a better lower driver in the Xfinity series and I felt he could've been a champion if he was full time competitor. The problem Michael with the cup series is he only won 4 points paying races with all of them being restrictor plates. I felt his DEI ride era was him underachieving. Michael got the DEI ride because he was friends with Dale Sr. and due to his brother Darrell.

Michael with DEI had his 2001 Daytona 500 win, but only had 2 more top 10's compared to his teammate Steve Park in that season despite racing in 36 cup races that season. Steve Park before his career altering Busch series crash at Darlington had 1 win, 5 top 5's and 12 top 10's in just 24 cup series starts. What I'm getting at is Dale Earnhardt Jr. did not receiving all the good equipment at DEI at all and Michael didn't take advantage of it.

I know Greg Biffle last year wanted to join Superstar Racing Experience as a driver and I think he would've been a much better pick instead of Michael Waltrip. Michael was more popular and has Daytona 500 wins, but Greg had championships in higher levels than Michael Waltrip and has 15 more cup series wins despite Greg first being a full time cup series driver at an older age than Michael Waltrip was.

Just thinking here, that if we revisit Mark Martin's racing careeer, he was 54 in 2013, (per the NASCAR Cup Series data). If I'm correct, I think that was his last major race, and I believe he eventually retired after that.

Michael Waltrip is now 57 in 2021. This will be interesting to see how he does.

I'm a bit on the fence about age in relation to which drivers are selected. It is a physically and mentally challenging sport; yet, not everyone in a specific age group, may react in the same way.

(As a side note, I also think Greg Biffle would have been a fine choice as well. Like yourself, I'd also like to know the actual reasons why Michael was chosen over Greg.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom