News 2021 EPCOT International Food and Wine Festival

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Disney shares more details on the upcoming 2021 EPCOT International Food and Wine Festival​

Why do so many kiosks not open until October 1? I mean, I know that's when the 50th starts, but I figured all kiosks would run for the duration of F&W. :confused:

This is probably a factor, it could also be a genuine effort to reduce the crowding until we are further along with defeating COVID.

It could also be they start F&W early in July to sell alcohol and merch which have higher margins and bring in the lower margin food later.

A lot of decisions for a festival need to be made months in advance: Do we bring back Eat to the Beat or Not? Do we go with a Taste of F&W or will we be able to bring back the pre-pandemic way?

So, a lot of this year's F&W seems to be a mad mishmash of strict COVID protocols and labor shortage now suddenly not going to be an issue. The plan to re-do "A Taste of..." in the Summer is now morphed into a full fledged Festival appended to the Fall.

Local bands that don't have to travel across state boundaries are hired because they thought COVID would still be a thing throughout Summer.

So...

jaklgreen

my wife and i like the festivals and we will drive over to each festival at least twice as sometimes its too much to try all the food and drinks in one shot. F&W we may go back 3-4times and most times its with friends that have never been which makes it fun. the F&W used to be better in the day as it was a more rounded representation of wine from the US. there are still a lot of wines from around the world but from the US is very limited. i used to like trying all the US wines at the american adventure from NY, washington, VA and Oregon plus california (it was $20 for 6 tastings). its become more of a craft beer fair recently (maybe thats what others want) and the drinks are a little too sugary for me. they used to have wine experiences but had to nix them due to covid, i hope they bring them back. i still like the festivals, i just wish they had the learning aspect of them as they did in the past which i hope they can do again.

I am one of those that is happy that they have the "sugary" drinks. I can't drink most alcohol because it gives me migraines so no wine or beer for me at all. I can only have the mixed drinks that are mostly juice. I have noticed that the craft beer is the new fad. I am waiting for tropical mixed drinks to come back into style. LOL

ToTBellHop

A lot of decisions for a festival need to be made months in advance: Do we bring back Eat to the Beat or Not? Do we go with a Taste of F&W or will we be able to bring back the pre-pandemic way?

So, a lot of this year's F&W seems to be a mad mishmash of strict COVID protocols and labor shortage now suddenly not going to be an issue. The plan to re-do "A Taste of..." in the Summer is now morphed into a full fledged Festival appended to the Fall.

Local bands that don't have to travel across state boundaries are hired because they thought COVID would still be a thing throughout Summer.

So...
It would be prudent to consider the first half of the festival as “Taste of…” and look for a more traditional second half. They just weren’t ready for a full festival to arrive in 5 weeks.

me_stitch

Premium Member
I think some people are just getting burnt out on them. The novelty of the kiosks is wearing thin when they are largely a permanent fixture.
As someone who visits every two or three years I'm glad they keep moving it up, I'm going in early August this year and can't wait to pig out.

Figments Friend

It's actually like a nature documentary, you have to carefully look through the herd for identifying characteristics.

The first indications are the exterior markings on the drunks.

il_1140xN.2804879668_aopc.jpg

epcot_i_think_ill_just_stay_here_and_drink_drinking_around_the_world_MultiColored_shirt_front_t-shirt_apparel_hoodie_grafixpressions_grfxp_1024x1024.jpg

Minnie-Drinking-Team_large.jpg

Next look to the natural habitat of the drunks. These include benches and bushes.
Finally near guest services or where the first aid locations are, this where those who can't handle their liquor ultimately wind up congregating for some reason or another.

Other natural habitats for Food n' Wine drunks is -

The shallow bodies of water flanking the main walkway from Future World to World Showcase.

Trying to climb the Mayan temple 'stairs' at the Mexico Pavilion.

Passed out on benches between two 'countries' at World Showcase.

Passed out in a stupor slightly propped up in a traveling time vehicle while traversing 'Spaceship Earth'.

-

phillip9698

Why do so many kiosks not open until October 1? I mean, I know that's when the 50th starts, but I figured all kiosks would run for the duration of F&W. :confused:

It’s nothing more than a way for Disney to artificially make the 50th more of an event. I hate what they are doing. The 50th was an opportunity for plussing, not simply delaying what should have been in place months earlier.

ToTBellHop

It’s nothing more than a way for Disney to artificially make the 50th more of an event. I hate what they are doing. The 50th was an opportunity for plussing, not simply delaying what should have been in place months earlier.
That’s simply untrue. They did the same thing last year. It is a way to create new interest from locals in an event that now runs for four months.

phillip9698

That’s simply untrue. They did the same thing last year. It is a way to create new interest from locals in an event that now runs for four months.

It’s merely a coincidence that the booths open on the 1st and not September 25th or October 3rd? Sorry but I find that EXTREMELY hard to believe.

phillip9698

It’s because 10/1 is the start of FY22. Changes routinely occur on 10/1.

In previous years when this took place the new booths would open in early September. Which actually makes sense if you wanted to debut something new to keep the local interest since its the halfway point of the festival.

mergatroid

The shallow bodies of water flanking the main walkway from Future World to World Showcase.

Passed out in a stupor slightly propped up in a traveling time vehicle while traversing 'Spaceship Earth'.

-
To be fair, you do manage to pull all of the above off fairly well 😉

GimpYancIent

-
1623415124982.png

ToTBellHop

In previous years when this took place the new booths would open in early September. Which actually makes sense if you wanted to debut something new to keep the local interest since its the halfway point of the festival.
Mmmkay. Believe whatever you want. For completeness, the middle day of this year’s festival is 9/18. They are adding these 13 days later. I don’t know what the big deal is. Only 52 days to enjoy them? The 2010 festival only lasted 45 days.

Goofnut1980

I like the festivals and some of the kiosks are fun to try. But Wow, the prices have gone through the roof! It used to be $3-4 for a sample. Now some go up to $10... for a sample? hard pass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom