2021 D23 Expo Postponed Until 2022 Due To Covid

TP2000

Original Poster
I didn't see this mentioned in the main "Everything Sucks And Disneyland Is Still Closed" thread, or whichever variant of that basic topic has not yet been banished to the Politics forum. But...

The 2021 D23 Expo at the Anaheim Convention Center has been now postponed until September, 2022. This is due to the completely unknown environment in 2021 that the Anaheim Convention Center may or may not be allowed to operate in a year from now. The next D23 Expo was slated to be held in August, 2021, but all convention centers in California are closed and will remain closed indefinitely, with no known reopening date and no guidance released from Sacramento on how such a facility may be allowed to reopen at some unknown future date. The least restrictive Yellow Tier still outlaws the operation of convention centers.

Any D23 members out there care to weigh in? I'm suddenly reminded why I never joined D23, and instead just walk up on the Sunday afternoon of the convention to buy a one-day ticket and wander in for a couple hours like a dignified gentleman. 🧐

Sharon&Susan

Was really hoping that there'd be a 50th anniversary WDW exhibit from the archives.

The Pirates one in 2017 was great with plenty of interesting tidbits coming out of that, the Wardrobe one in 2019.... not so much.

TP2000

Original Poster
Was really hoping that there'd be a 50th anniversary WDW exhibit from the archives.
I'm sure there is a lot of stuff once planned for WDW's 50th that has now been cancelled and abandoned.

But the '21 Expo would have obviously been a great place to showcase some of that 1971 memorabilia and memories.

I'd love it if Disney could get into some of the real history behind WDW's creation and construction circa 1968-1972, instead of the fake stuff the mall merchandisers came up with to sell to uneducated East Coasters for the past 15 years.

There must be a gold mine in the vaults, but since none of it involves Walt they ignore it and create fake crap like this...

262cb994fd2f45b5268ec01d8ded6e6d.jpg

Last edited:

Chaos Cat

D23 Gold Member here and, honesty, not too annoyed by this. I only went back in 2017 and that was enough for me. Lines were so bad that I ended skipping the third day to spend an extra day at Disneyland. Nowadays, I'm content to just watch a live stream of the parks announcements and check out some pics of some of the cool cosplays.

mikenatcity1

I'm a Gold Member as well. I'm honestly not surprised by this. I would have been more surprised that it was scheduled for next year. Destination D had already been announced to have been moved from this year to next year, and Disney couldn't hold both conventions and have the expected turnout. In addition, I think the decision to move this large convention by a year when the future of Covid is still not known is a good idea. By now, tickets would have already been on sale for 2021.

The only thing that shocked me was the date, but then I remember Star Wars Celebration, which was cancelled this year, has the dates D23 has taken in the past, and putting D23 the weekend between ComicCon and Star Wars would have been death.

This also gives me an additional year to save up for the large regrettable amount of money I will probably spend. I hope I still live in Anaheim when the convention rolls around!

Stevek

Was a member of D23 as soon as it became available, went to 2 conventions and that was enough. First one was cake, walked right in. Second one I went to was much more of a wait but was also probably more enjoyable as they had more content. Really have no desire to go back primarily due to the massive lines to get in. All I hear is people complain but those same folks are the first to snatch up tickets...sounds like the same folks that complain about rides that are unappealing but are first in line for Incredicoaster.

brb1006

I'm sure there is a lot of stuff once planned for WDW's 50th that has now been cancelled and abandoned.

But the '21 Expo would have obviously been a great place to showcase some of that 1971 memorabilia and memories.

I'd love it if Disney could get into some of the real history behind WDW's creation and construction circa 1968-1972, instead of the fake stuff the mall merchandisers came up with to sell to uneducated East Coasters for the past 15 years.

There must be a gold mine in the vaults, but since none of it involves Walt they ignore it and create fake crap like this...

262cb994fd2f45b5268ec01d8ded6e6d.jpg
If anything, Roy O Disney deserves some spotlight for various Walt Disney World related material. Roy O Disney (Walt's older brother and business partner) seriously deserves more credit since he was very involved with the completion of Walt Disney World. Roy actually postponed his retirement just to see the grand opening of Walt Disney World in 1971 before passing away two months later.
Gallery_092916_wdw-45th-45-photos-gallery_6.jpg

roydisneywdwdedication.jpg

roy-o-disney-wdw-dedication.jpg

He even received his own statue similar to the Partners Statue located near the Flag Pole (moved to the entrance of City Hall during the Christmas Seasons) exclusive to Walt Disney World featuring him and Minnie. Here's a photo of Roy E Disney posing with the Roy O Disney statue
b08e1f7f78ae876bed67fd350bd65096.jpg

Roy's Speech during the grand opening of the resort.

Roy O Disney seriously deserves more credit for how dedicated he was to making WDW a reality during his final years.

Last edited:

Mouse Trap

Not surprising and probably the right move. Even if the world is mostly back to normal by next summer I don't think Disney wants to be one of the first companies to hold a massive convention with 50,000+ attendees. Just doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble when they can just delay it by a year.

Also, who the heck wants to go to D23 next year when all they would be doing is basically re-announcing all the things that should have been opened, released, etc. but have been delayed due to COVID.

dmeets

I have no understanding of the D23 club, is that just the way to get into a convention? You have to be a club member? Are there any benefits beyond this?
You don't have to be a D23 member to get into the expo, but you do get a discount on tickets if you're a member (and the earlier in advance you buy, the better the discount). The basic membership is free, there's also a "gold" tier that includes a quarterly magazine and a few other random perks throughout the year -- some are free, while others you have to buy tickets but only D23 gold members have the opportunity. In the past I think there've been events like movie screenings or studio tours. Lately due to COVID there haven't really been any events aside from some virtual panels you could sign up for. I think there are occasional exclusive pin offers as well, if you're into that.

But the Expo tickets discounts are available to any level of membership including the free tier.

TP2000

Original Poster
Star Wars Celebration is at the Anaheim Convention Center between August 18-21 2022.

Two large Disney focused conventions in Anaheim in less than a month.

Good point. The massive new George Lucas Museum in LA will also have newly opened by August, 2022, so that Star Wars Celebration should be particularly huge for fans from around the world.

Lucas%20Museum%20of%20Narrative%20Art%202019%20rendering.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom