2024 NASCAR

artvandelay

Denny Hamlin and Michael Jordan announced they are starting a cup team in 2021 with Bubba Wallace as the driver. They also bought the charter of Germain Racing. Michael Jordan is the Majority owner. Bubba Wallace has a multi-year deal. Car number, manufacturer, sponsors will be announced at a later date.
I’m going to guess they race the #23 car?

wdwfan4ver

Hendrick Motorsports has been fined by NASCAR $100,000 and the lost 10 hours of wind tunnel testing in 2021. Hendrick will only have 70 hours of wind tunnel testing in 2021 instead of 80 hours.

What happened Hendrick Motorsports reported to NASCAR that they exceeded the amount of time spent in the wind tunnel by a couple minutes.

wdwfan4ver

Great win for Kurt Busch And a nice 2nd place for Matt Dibendetto. I hope the Wood Bro’s. sign Matty D to a contract extension.
Matty D being back in the 21 depends on Penske. Penske to my understanding has a say in who is in the 21 car.

I do not have a good reading on if Austin Cindric will be going to cup next year. I know there are drivers in the Xfinity series that want to go to cup in 2022 instead of 2021 because of the new cup car. I do not know if Austin Cindric is one of those drivers that want to wait a year.

The concern is what they learn in the cup car in 2021 will not be able be useful in 2022.

wdwfan4ver

Rick Hendrick announced Chad Knaus will be the vice president of competition after the 2020 season ends. Chad will oversee the technical development of Hendrick Motorsports’ entire stable of Chevrolet race cars, including its implementation of NASCAR’s 2022 "Next Gen" vehicle.

Chad also will be responsible for personnel dedicated to the organization’s four NASCAR Cup Series entries, including crew chiefs, pit crews, engineering, fabrication, assembly and other team-related staff.

It was not announced who will be William Byron's crew chief.

wdwfan4ver

NASCAR is supposed to announce the 2021 cup schedule tomorrow.

There is two things known. Chicagoland speedway announced they are not having NASCAR races in 2021. They are hoping to be back in 2022.

The 2nd thing is Kentucky Speedway is not having a cup race in 2021. I do not know for sure what is replacing the 2 races.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Great win for Kurt Busch And a nice 2nd place for Matt Dibendetto. I hope the Wood Bro’s. sign Matty D to a contract extension.
I got an update on that. According to Adam Stern, it is very likely that Matty D is not coming back to the 21.

It is getting pointed to Austin Cindric getting the ride.

Stern didn't mention this but the conclusion to this due to Penske. Penske has a big say in the 21 car and NASCAR's 2021 cup schedule plays a factor. Austin Cindric is known for his road course/roval ability in the lower levels on NASCAR and the cup series has 6 road courses/rovals on the 2021 cup schedule. Austin Cindric is the son of the President of Team Penske Tim Cindric.

I don't agree with the move. The problem is the Xfinity series field this year is weaker than last year and is making some drivers better than they actually are.

wdwfan4ver

I did get information about Chicagoland and Kentucky. One of the two race tracks in more promising than the other. Kentucky has plans for the race track for 2021, but Chicagoland does not. The other thing is there is take that NASCAR was not happy with a party of the land on Chicagoland Spreedy property is not being turned into a warehouse.

wdwfan4ver

There are a lot of changes on the schedule for 2021. The Daytona Clash is on a Tuesday instead of a Sunday with it being on the Daytona Road Road Course instead of the oval. The Good news is the Duels, and the Daytona 500 are going to be on the oval.

Homestead is now the 2nd race of the season. Atlanta has 2 races in for the first time since 2010 with the dates being March 21st and July 11th . The Spring Bristol Race is a Bristol dirt race with dirt being brought in and be put on the race track. Darlington is having 2 cup dates with the first being on May 9th and the 2nd on Labor Day weekend.

Dover only has has 1 date with Nashville having a cup date. The Dover will be May 16th and the Nashville cup race being June 20th. The All-star is going to happen on June 13th at Texas Motor Speedway.

There are 3 new road courses added to the cup schedule besides having Sonoma, Watkin's Glen, and the Charlotte Roval. The 3 road courses are Circuits of the Americas, Road America, and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Road Course with the Indy Road Course having the title of the Brickyard 400. The Circuits of America will happen on May 23rd. Road America cup date will happen on July 4th and Indy Road Course will be August 15th.

Michigan will lose a cup date with the only cup date happening being August 22nd. Texas Motor Speedway only has the one points cup date and the All-star race. The cup date they have in 2021 is October 17th. Chicagoland and Kentucky are not the schedule at all for the cup series.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

I'm doing thoughts on the changes. Homestead being moved up is NASCAR backing race fans going to Homestead since Daytona Speedweeks is only one week in 2021. I think it is a gamble by NASCAR.

Darlington having 2 cup dates is great addition.

I am doing a wait and see with Atlanta having 2 dates again because I think it is 3 to 5 years too early. The question is the attendance of the track able to handle because that is why the track lost a cup date a first place. I know that the company that owns Atlanta Motor Speedway has big plans for the extra land they got with it involving a lot of entertainment with them banking on the entertainment outside of racing for giving people enough reasons to go to Atlanta Motor speedway 2 times a year. The problem is the Entertainment is not built yet despite the government talks and I question some the entertainment propose right now because of Covid-19 not having a vaccine ready right now.

I have nothing good to say about the Bristol race track having a cup dirt race. I know it is the first since 1970 I believe for a cup race on dirt, but this is a bad idea. This is a concrete race track having dirt added as a desperate attempt for making sure Bristol has 2 cup dates past 2021. I do know the spring date at Bristol had attendance problems for years, but that was not always the case. Bruton Smith reconfigured the track 2 times since 2007 and has not drawn the crowds like they did as a result.

The Brickyard 400 being a Road Course event now is not a bad idea. The novelty of the cup cars on the oval part of the Indianapolis Motor speedway over a decade ago. The problem with the oval part was the tire debacle of 2008 and usually are known for bad races on the cup side.The problem with the quality the races is due to the race track was created not for stock cars. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Road Course has been used for Indy Cars and Formula 1.

I am doing a wait and see with Circuit of the Americas as a road course for cup. I know Indycar and Formula 1 has used it. I never watched a race on tv there. People have claimed some of the turns are too narrow for the race cars NASCAR has.

Road America is a good pick up, but I'm concerned why. It seems like NASCAR is playing a political game with Illinois and figures people from Illinois will be going to Wisconsin for Road America.

I can not comment on Nashville because it is a 1.3 mile race track that hasn't been used for around a decade and have no clue how the surface will be like.

Texas Motor Speedway losing a cup points date is not a big loss The track is not the most liked with race fans due to quality of racing and the concern should be the All-star race there.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

There is some other news for 2021 cup series. 28 cup races will be 1 day shows with metric qualifying. Nascar's executive vice president and chief racing development officer explained it is due to the uncertainty of covid-19 and as well as teams working toward the Next Gen car in 2022 in terms of saving money.

The only cup races with qualifying and practicing are Daytona 500, Coca Cola 600, season ending Phoenix race, Circuit of the America, Road America, Nashville, Bristol Dirt Race, and Indianapolis Motor Speedway Road Course.

artvandelay

I'm doing thoughts on the changes. Homestead being moved up is NASCAR backing race fans going to Homestead since Daytona Speedweeks is only one week in 2021. I think it is a gamble by NASCAR.

Darlington having 2 cup dates is great addition.

I am doing a wait and see with Atlanta having 2 dates again because I think it is 3 to 5 years too early. The question is the attendance of the track able to handle because that is why the track lost a cup date a first place. I know that the company that owns Atlanta Motor Speedway has big plans for the extra land they got with it involving a lot of entertainment with them banking on the entertainment outside of racing for giving people enough reasons to go to Atlanta Motor speedway 2 times a year. The problem is the Entertainment is not built yet despite the government talks and I question some the entertainment propose right now because of Covid-19 not having a vaccine ready right now.

I have nothing Good to say about the Bristol race track having a cup dirt race. I know it is the first since 1970 I believe, but this is a bad idea. This is a concrete race track having dirt added as a desperate attempt for making sure Bristol has 2 cup dates past 2021. I do know the spring date at Bristol had attendance problems for years, but that was not always the case. Bruton Smith reconfigured the track 2 times since 2007 and has not drawn the crowds like they did as a result.

The Brickyard 400 being a Road Course event now is not a bad idea. The novelty of the cup cars on the oval part of the Indianapolis Motor speedway over a decade ago. The problem with the oval part was the tire debacle of 2008 and usually are known for bad races on the cup side.The problem with the quality the races is due to the race track was created not for stock cars. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Road Course has been used for Indy Cars and Formula 1.

I am doing a wait and see with Circuit of the Americas as a road course for cup. I know Indycar and Formula 1 has used it. I never watched a race on tv there. People have claimed some of the turns are too narrow for the race cars NASCAR has.

Road America is a good pick up, but I'm concerned why. It seems like NASCAR is playing a political game with Illinois and figures people from Illinois will be going to Wisconsin for Road America.

I can not comment on Nashville because it is a 1.3 mile race track that hasn't been used for around a decade and have no clue how the surface will be like.

Texas Motor Speedway losing a cup points date is not a big loss The track is not the most liked with race fans due to quality of racing and the concern should be the All-star race there.
I like the addition of Road America and COTA. I agree with you about the dirt at Bristol.

wdwfan4ver

Superstar Racing Experience announced Bill Elliott as a driver.

I know a good deal about Bill Elliott, but I did not see him in his title contender days. His last championship threat days were in 1992 with it being the year before I first watched a NASCAR race. He was the 1988 cup champion.

Bill had a nice comeback in the 2001 to 2003 time frame with Ray Evernham as the team owner. Bill is a different type of a talent than his son Chase. Darrell Waltrip has called Bill Elliott a Speedway driver on Fox before and there is a lot of truth to that. Bill only won 2 times on short tracks in cup and 1 road course race in cup. Bill Elliott won rest of his 41 cup races on ovals 1 mile and bigger.

Bill's win totals were affected by what in the 1990s. It started with Melling racing not increasing their amount of money to spend on the race with Bill resulting in leaving for Junior Johnson. The problem was Junior Johnson was going through a messy divorce in 1992 and the organization never recovered losing the cup championship to Alan Kulwicki. Bill after 1994 decided to form his own race team as a driver/owner, but never won before going to Ray Evernham.

What I gathered is Bill still races to this day despite being soon to be 65 years old.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

NASCAR announced their 2021 rules their package races.

The 750 horse power package races are Bristol (both oval and dirt), Charlotte Roval, Circuit of The Americas, Darlington, Daytona Road Course (Busch Clash), Dover, Indianapolis Road Course, New Hampshire, Martinsville, Nashville, Phoenix, Richmond, Road America, Sonoma Raceway and Watkins Glen.

The 550 horse power package races Atlanta, Charlotte, Auto Club, Homestead-Miami, Kansas, Las Vegas, Michigan, Pocono, and Texas.

The Speedway Package will be used at Daytona and Talladega.

The rules for 2021 for cup announced were Teams must compete in a minimum of 16 points events with a short block sealed engine. Teams are restricted to 150 hours Computational fluid dynamics runs per month.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom