2024 NASCAR

wdwfan4ver

Here are rest of the races through end August

Friday, August 7th Michigan Gander Trucks 200 mi FS1 6:00 PM Eastern time

Sat, August 8th Road America Xfinity 182 mi NBCSN Noon eastern

Saturday, August 8th Michigan Cup 312 mi NBCSN 4:00PM Eastern time

Sunday, August 9th Michigan Cup 312 mi NBCSN 4:30 PM Eastern time

Saturday, August 15th Daytona Road Course Xfinity 182 mi NBCSN 3:00 PM Eastern time

Sunday, August 16th Daytona Road Course Grander Trucks 153 mi FS1 Noon Eastern time

Sunday, August 16th Daytona Road Course Cup 231 mi NBC 3:00 PM Eastern time

Friday, Friday August 21st Dover Gander Trucks 200 mi FS1 5:00 PM Eastern time

Saturday, August 22nd Dover Xfinity 200 mi NBCSN 12:30 PM Eastern time

Saturday, August 22nd Dover Cup 311 mi NBCSN 4:00 PM Eastern time

Sunday, August 23rd Dover Xfinity 200 mi NBCSN 1:00 PM Eastern time

Sunday, August 23rd Dover Cup 311 mi FS1 4:00 PM Eastern time

Friday, August 28th Daytona Xfinity 250 mi NBCSN 7:30 PM Eastern time

Saturday, August 29th Daytona 400 mi FS1 7:30 PM Eastern time

Sunday, August 30th WWT Raceway Gander Trucks 200 mi FS1 Noon Eastern time

wdwfan4ver

It has been announced that Tony Stewart and Ray Evernham is starting a new racing series Called Superstar Racing Experience. Super Star Racing Experience also will be called SRX.

Here is what is known about Super Star Racing Experience:
  1. There are 4 boards with this organization including George Pyne and Sandy Montag. George was one of the executives from NASCAR from 1995 to 2006. Left NASCAR to be President of IMG Sports before before before becoming the the founder and CEO of Bruin Sports Capital. Sandy Montag is the chairman of talent representation firm The Montag Group.
  2. They are not not connected with NASCAR at all.
  3. Has multi year tv contract with CBS starting in Summer of 2021 on Saturday nights.
  4. It will have 6 races.
  5. Each race will have a halftime for adjustments on the cars after 45 minutes. After the halftime ends, there will be another 45 minutes for the race.
  6. All 6 races will be on short tracks in the United States.
  7. There are looking at tracks that are in the 10,000 to 20,000 range in Capacity.
  8. Each race will have 12 car field that will have some well known drivers and crew chiefs that are active and retired.
  9. Drivers will compete for individual race winnings each week and a points-based SRX Series Championship.
  10. Tony Stewart will be the main recruiter
  11. Each race will have 12 drivers randomly matched with a crew chief.
  12. Ray Evernham will design the cars so that everyone races with the same equal equipment.
  13. The race cars themselves will have the capability of racing on dirt, pavement, and road courses.
  14. The race cars depend on mechanical grip, not areodynamics.

wdwfan4ver

Daytona International speedway has announced tickets for the August 16 Truck series and cup series race for the Daytona Roads.

Tickets also are on sale for the August 29 Daytona cup race. The racetrack said all guests who attend both weekends will be screened before entering the facility, required to wear face coverings and maintain six-feet of social distancing throughout the venue.

wdwfan4ver

There already are 3 drivers that are interested in racing in Superstar Racing Experience.

The drivers are Greg Biffle, Tony Kanaan, and Sebastien Bourdais. I follow CART/Indycar since the 1980s and Kanaan and Bourdais is part of that.

I am under the impression that Tony Kanaan is finally going to retire from Indycar after this year. Sebastien Bourdais is doing sportscars this year after being forced out of his Indycar ride.

I remembered Tony Kanaan starting out in CART back in the late 1990s and was one of the best Indycar drivers of the 2000s and a 2013 Indy 500 winner. He's one of Indycar's more popular drivers.

Bourdais was more successful in CART and Indycar than F1. He won in Sport Cars before also including the 24 hours of Daytona and the 12 hours of Sebring. The 24 hours of Daytona and the 12 hours of Sebrings are major sports car racing events. For Sports Car racing, its their Daytona 500, Indy 500.

I remembered Bourdais winning a IROC oval race at Texas despite not having a lot of oval experience. Some of the other 11 drivers he beaten were Mark Martin, Martin Truex Jr., Matt Kenseth, and Kurt Busch.

artvandelay

There already are 3 drivers that are interested in racing in Superstar Racing Experience.

The drivers are Greg Biffle, Tony Kanaan, and Sebastien Bourdais. I follow CART/Indycar since the 1980s and Kanaan and Bourdais is part of that.

I am under the impression that Tony Kanaan is finally going to retire from Indycar after this year. Sebastien Bourdais is doing sportscars this year after being forced out of his Indycar ride.

I remembered Tony Kanaan starting out in CART back in the late 1990s and was one of the best Indycar drivers of the 2000s and a 2013 Indy 500 winner. He's one of Indycar's more popular drivers.

Bourdais was more successful in CART and Indycar than F1. He won in Sport Cars before also including the 24 hours of Daytona and the 12 hours of Sebring. The 24 hours of Daytona and the 12 hours of Sebrings are major sports car racing events. For Sports Car racing, its their Daytona 500, Indy 500.

I remembered Bourdais winning a IROC oval race at Texas despite not having a lot of oval experience. Some of the other 11 drivers he beaten were Mark Martin, Martin Truex Jr., Matt Kenseth, and Kurt Busch.
Some drivers I’d like to see in this series:

Carl Edwards
Jeff Gordon
David Reutiman
Marcos Ambrose
Msrk Martin

wdwfan4ver

Since the cup series now is halfway done for the season, I am going to my usually half way team takes.

I am starting with JTG-Daugherty Racing. Ryan Preece has been terrible all year and don't be shock if he gets replaced after this season ends and I don't know if his contract is done after this season. The move they did with getting a rid of AJ allmendinger for Preece is still haunting this organization. Preece as a driver regressed after his rookie season and he struggled a lot as a rookie. The organization is not as good as they think they are. Ricky Stenhouse jr. is doing what people are expecting this season. I wouldn't be shocked if Ryan only gets 1 top 10 or non this season. Stenhouse needs Daytona win to make it into the chase. The question is going to be will Preece get a 3rd year in cup.

Starcom Racing is doing as bad as I expect. Quin Houff has been criticized by cup drivers and spotters for not being out of the way and is guarantee a caution a race including not able to go into pit road properly . The driver is racing in very bad equipment, but is extremely inexperienced. He got the ride due to his family's freight trucking business sponsoring him. Houff only had 17 cup starts, 10 Xfinity series starts, 5 arca starts and 1 K & N Pro east series start before entering this season. The driver is over his head and Landon Cassill was a better driver for this backmarker team. Don't be shocked if Quin Houff affects the playoffs due to him being so over his head on the cup level.

Stewart-Haas Racing is a little bit surprising to me this season. I did not expect Aric Almirola being the 2nd best driver for the cup organization. Aric is having a career season so far with highs in top 5's and laps led. He also is on his way of maybe getting a new career high in top 10's. Harvick is being Harvick as a driver meaning he's one of the 3 top drivers in cup. Clint Bowyer is seeing better days although he's still steady enough for a chase spot if there is not more drivers below him win a cup race. Cole Custer is affected by no practice on the cup level as a rookie due to the coronavirus despite his Kentucky win. The 2nd half of this season to me brings questions if Custer will be better for the 2nd half of the season and if Clint can make the playoffs.

wdwfan4ver

Hendrick Motorsports has problems for over a month. Chase Elliott has some speed, but the crew chief has problem calling a race properly. This is something to keep an eye on for the 2nd half of the season. Bowman in the last 13 races only has 3 top 10's. William Byron is out of the playoffs and Jimmie Johnson is on the edge being out the playoffs also. Byron and Johnson right now are fighting for the final playoff spot unless a driver below them wins a race. I think the whole organization might only have 2 drivers in the chase this season at this point.

Front Row Motorsports is a pleasant surprise this season. The organization actually got better as a 2 car cup team organization. This is an organization this benefiting from no cup practices. This organization already has new highs in top 15 finishes, lead lap finishes and currently work on the best ever age finish ever. Michael Mcdowell and John Hunter Nemechek are not really threats to make the playoffs unless one of them wins at Daytona. It is interesting to watch if those 2 keep it for the rest or the year. Also Nemechek needs to be keep an eye since according to Jayski his contract could be up after this season.

Rick Ware Racing technically has more race teams than they started the season with. They have 7 cup teams, but only 4 under Rick Ware Racing name. NASCAR has a rule that an organization is only allowed 4 cup teams. What happened here is Rick Ware Racing bought a bunch of race teams during NASCAR's coronavirus stoppage, but found creative ways to have different owner names than Rick Ware Racing. They are doing what they are expected outside amount of teams. The owner does not like putting money into the race teams at all and is more about making a profit. This is the organization that did shady stuff at homestead last year and NASCAR fined them. There is nothing really to look at for the 7 teams for the final 18 races outside of Daytona and Talladega since they are backmarker. The question mark is going to be after the season ends concerning that organization and its 7 cup teams along with how NASCAR will handle that.

wdwfan4ver

MBM Motorsports' is where I expected. This organization has sponsor, but is extremely underfunded yet. The highlight for them was finishing 19th at Bristol. Expect the same in the 2nd half.

Chip Ganassi Racing is not what I expected from the first half of the year due to what happened to Kyle Larson. Kurt Busch is not a shock. He is his steady self. Despite not having a win, he is not a threat for not making it to the playoffs.

Matt Kenseth is not a shock though with his struggles. Matt Kenseth's best finish on a 1.5 mile track this season is 15th. Matt is affected by multiple factors. He has rust due to not being in the race car since the 2018 season final at Homestead. The rule packages of the cup cars changed since the 2018 season final at Homestead and Matt has problems adapting to it. NASCAR does not have practice either and that hurts Matt also. I have a feel Matt is not going to be back in 2021, but the question is how much Matt will improve in the 2nd half of the season. The other question is will Kurt win in the 2nd half of the season.

Go Fas Racing is doing a little worse than I expected. I thought Stewart-Haas equipment would help, but it didn't much likely due to the age of it. Team though is having career best average finish with Corey Lajoie behind the wheel. There is some wild card races coming up in the 2nd half that could give them a 2nd top 10.

wdwfan4ver

Wood Brothers is not a shock they are currently being 12 in standings halfway done with the season. Matt Dibendetto been pulling off a very steady season. I am waiting to see if Matt is going to make the chase in the 2nd half of the season.

Penske is a little bit of shock although still good. Blaney is fast, but still has the problem closing races. Logano has been streaky and has the least amount of 5's of the 3 Penske drivers. Brad is has been very steady. The 2nd half is going tell if the organization is going to get better in the 2nd half of the season.

Roush Fenway Racing is a little bit a disappointment in the first half. Ryan Newman is not as good as he was last year. Chris Buescher has been steady and already is tied in a career high in top 10's. I expect more of the same in the second half of the season and the way for them to make the chase is by win a race.

wdwfan4ver

@wdwfan4ver thanks for posting your recaps. Always insightful.

Any rumors on the driver for the 48 next year?
I have no idea at this point unlike the 42 car. Chip Ganassi did say earlier this year that he has a plan with Ross Chastain.

I do know who is not going to the 48 car. Kyle Larson has not been mentioned and if he's going back to NASCAR, everything points to Stewart-Haas based on what Aj Foyt said last month. Foyt was asked about Larson for Indycar and he basically said Stewart wants him. Chevy also does not want Kyle Larson either.

Hedrick has not decided on a driver and I think he might waiting to see what Penske is doing.

I would think Keselowski would be on the list for Hendrick if he's not returning to Penske. There haven't been any updates concerning the 2 car since late June with Penske not giving Brad a contract extension yet. Brad's problem is Austin Cindric. Austin is the son of Penske Racing's President Tim Cindric and the dad wants his son in a cup ride. The options for Cindric are the 2 car for Penske and the Wood Brothers. The Wood Brothers have a strong connection with Penske and Matt DiBendetto's contract is up after this season.

I would be guessing Dibendetto could be on the list depending on what Penske does with Austin Cindric. Matt at this point is one his way making the chase and teams in the garage would be after him.

I have to be guessing Corey Lajoie being on the list since Corey did talk to Hendrick very early in the year and Rick was impressed how he represented himself and the letter he sent him. I known that Chase Elliott and Jimmie Johnson did give a good word about Corey to Rick Hendrick.

wdwfan4ver

Gaunt Brothers is where I expect in the first half of the season with Daniel Suarez. Expect more of the same in the 2nd half. This is a part time organization going full time.

Leavine Family Racing is where I expect, but the future of the organization is going to be a headline after this season. Christopher Bell is getting Joe Gibbs Racing Equipment, but Gibbs is weaker this year. Bell also had bad start to the season. I think Christopher Bell is is going to have a better 2nd half than a first half of the season. They are not going to the chase unless a win somehow happens.

Joe Gibbs Racing is a surprise with a couple of their drivers. Kyle Busch said he has been affected by not having practice. That is something I believe since Kyle is an old school driver that actually knows a lot about race cars in terms of adjustments. Denny Hamlin is having another great year. Erik Jones has been a disappointment this year although the pit crew is not helping matters. Truex is down year although competitive. Truex problem is new crew chief under a Coronavirus environment and that means team is not getting the practice they need. I think JGR in the 2nd half has the question of can Jones make the chase.

Richard Childress Racing has improved some. Austin Dillon is closer to his 2016 form with him already having almost as many top 10's as he did last year. Tyler Reddick is showing signs of being a making the equipment better than it is, but is streaky at times like people should expect out of a rookie driver. The 2nd half is going to be interesting if Tyler makes the chase since Erik Jones, Reddick, Bryon, and Johnson are fighting for the final chase spot. I think

Germain Racing is having a little bit of down year this year. Ty's average finish is down by over 2 spots a race. I don't known if anything can improve that in the 2nd half of the season.

artvandelay

I have no idea at this point unlike the 42 car. Chip Ganassi did say earlier this year that he has a plan with Ross Chastain.

I do know who is not going to the 48 car. Kyle Larson has not been mentioned and if he's going back to NASCAR, everything points to Stewart-Haas based on what Aj Foyt said last month. Foyt was asked about Larson for Indycar and he basically said Stewart wants him. Chevy also does not want Kyle Larson either.

Hedrick has not decided on a driver and I think he might waiting to see what Penske is doing.

I would think Keselowski would be on the list for Hendrick if he's not returning to Penske. There haven't been any updates concerning the 2 car since late June with Penske not giving Brad a contract extension yet. Brad's problem is Austin Cindric. Austin is the son of Penske Racing's President Tim Cindric and the dad wants his son in a cup ride. The options for Cindric are the 2 car for Penske and the Wood Brothers. The Wood Brothers have a strong connection with Penske and Matt DiBendetto's contract is up after this season.

I would be guessing Dibendetto could be on the list depending on what Penske does with Austin Cindric. Matt at this point is one his way making the chase and teams in the garage would be after him.

I have to be guessing Corey Lajoie being on the list since Corey did talk to Hendrick very early in the year and Rick was impressed how he represented himself and the letter he sent him. I known that Chase Elliott and Jimmie Johnson did give a good word about Corey to Rick Hendrick.
Thanks for the response. I was thinking it might be Kesolowski.

wdwfan4ver

Adam Stern is reporting Leavine Family Racing owner Bob Leavine is soliciting bids for the team in recent months. All is known is the asking price is in the mid to high 7 figures.

What is known is if Leavine Family Racing is sold, Joe Gibbs Racing needs bring Christopher Bell in house or find another alliance partner to loan him for 2021.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom