2024 NASCAR

wdwfan4ver

NASCAR announced tweaks for the 2 Pocono races, Darlington and Homestead. The cars have to use aero ducts at those races after announcing they will not.

Charlotte Motorspeedway announced after stage 2 of the Coca Cola 600, the cars will be brought to pit road and stop the race briefly for all to remember the significance of Memorial day weekend.

wdwfan4ver

Since the All-Star race is coming on Saturday Night, I think its time to look back on the first 12 races in terms of some categories.

I think the best race of the year so far is Talladega or Kansas.

Kansas did what the new package is supposed to, but it does not happen to all the 1 or two mile track. The problem is the package is good depending on the grip and the age the racing surface.

As far as worse race of the year goes, it is easier to say name a short track race or Dover. NASCAR's rule package with the 750 horsepower at 1 mile or less tracks is extremely bad. This rule package even did the impossible in terms of making Martinsville into an Aerodynamic race track that is almost impossible to pass on the race track :arghh::facepalm:. This rule package needs to be scrapped after this season is over. Kevin Harvick and Kyle Busch has complained about the rule package.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

For me, NASCAR over hyped its 2 different rule 550 horsepower rule packages with one with the aero ducts and one without. Fox really hyped Auto Club due to the Aero duct package, but the track surface is so old, that you can't draft.

The no areo duct package is now gone.

The 550 horsepower rule packages were meant for drafting for What NASCAR had in mind, but it did not work at many tracks.

I think NASCAR did not complete looked at the age of the surfaces for making it a good drafting track. Right now, Homestead and Chicagoland are going to be bad drafting tracks due to the age of the surface. Chicagoland's surface is aged since the track opened in 2001 and homestead had the track reconfigured for the 2003 race.Kentucky is an unknown because Speedway Motorsports inc. made part of the track narrow and less banking in 2 of the turns compare to the other 2.

As far the 750 horsepower package, its in the be afraid, very afraid category since that rule package is going to be used at Sonoma, Loudon, Watkin's Glen, Charlotte Roval, besides all 2nd of the 1 mile tracks and short tracks later in the season:jawdrop:.

wdwfan4ver

Jayski's Silly season site is officially back open today. They are still working on their old pages and getting everything linked up. Jayski got his website back from ESPN a couple months ago. Jayski right now, gets their information from the same source as other sites do now.

One of the things that makes Jayski very important in the past for information is stuff like length of driver contract and was the site you go to for NASCAR breaking news back in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Right now though, the contract information does need to be updated such as Kevin Harvick's. Kevin himself did say earlier in the year that his contract ends in 2021 instead of the current 2019 Jayski's site says.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

I think the biggest disappointment as a driver right now is Kyle Larson. Kyle has been in wrecks and only has 4 top 10's in 12 races. This a surprise considering Kurt Busch has double the top 10s and has 2 more top 5s than Kyle Larson.

The biggest surprise to me is Chris Buescher. While Chris has 2 top 10's, his car was strong enough to finish in the top 10 for Bristol and Richmond with him having 4 top top's instead of 2. Chris scored stage points at Bristol and Richmond. What I mention is a big deal considering JTG Daughtery Racing has not been that impressive since Aj Allmindger's had 4 top 10's in the last 6 races of the 2016 season.

I'm not doing any summaries on any organizations before the 18th cup race of the season ends.

wdwfan4ver

I'm doing the good, bad and Ugly. I am not mention Darrell Waltrip's retirement from Fox in any Category since we don't know the replacement.

The good is Ford is doing better out of the gate with their new car then Chevy did last year.

The bad is how long it took Chevy to win a race although.

The Ugly to me is 3 things. The first thing is the amount of rule changes for this year including 3 or times for qualifying. There is no excuse for needing to change the rules for Qualifying 3 times in less than 12 races in.

The 2nd ugly is the crowds this season for most of the races.

The 3rd ugly is DC Solar mess. While the FBI got DC Solar before the season, there is rumors that Chip Ganassi is really hurt money wise due to the DC Solar issue. DC Solar gone did cost them their Xfinity series program with Ross Chastain. DC Solar mess also effect race tracks.

wdwfan4ver

It is not NASCAR, but Niki Lauda died Yesterday. Niki Lauda is one of Auto Racing's all legends with him with him being a 3 time Formula 1 championship. If people talk about great 1970s to mid 1980s great drivers in Auto Racing, his name is pretty high up there along with being one of the toughest drivers ever.

He won 2 of his 3 champions before I was born. While Niki was born in a wealthy family, he did follow what his parents expected in terms of a having of a comfortable life. Niki wanted to race. F1 back in the 1970s was a dangerous era to my understanding.

Niki died at the age of 70, but he was very lucky to live that long considering what happened to him when he was 27 years old. I am referring to this although it does not show the whole thing:

The stunning about this is Niki won 2 championships after that despite that incident. He also almost won the 1976 championship despite missing a month due to that crash and was only 1 point away from being tied for the championship. How Niki finished 2nd in points 1976 was he returned to racing during the 1976 season after missing 2 races due to that near death crash.

Niki suffered extensive scares from burns to head, weakened left lungs, lost more of right ear, lost all hair on right side due to fire, and lost eyelids. His burns were 3rd degree. The eyelids were reconstructed, but nothing else. He was offered plastic surgery due to how bad he looked after the crash, but he refused despite the wealth he he had.

As far as his death. It is safe to say that the crash had something to do with it because he got a lung transplant in 2018 and had multiple kidney transplants in his life.

wdwfan4ver

Clint Boyer and Ryan Newman -- what the heck happened on Saturday?!
I only saw Clint punching Ryan originally. All I know is Ryan got Clint on the cool down lap. I'm a bit surprised that I haven't read anything about any fines on this.

I mentioned fines because NASCAR in the past did Fine Michael Waltrip for throwing a punch at Lake Speed in 1995 while Lake Speed was in his racecar.

There also has been fines in the past for Drivers international wreck cars on a cool down lap or wreck a car on pit road after the race.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I only saw Clint punching Ryan originally. All I know is Ryan got Clint on the cool down lap. I'm a bit surprised that I haven't read anything about any fines on this.

I mentioned fines because NASCAR in the past did Fine Michael Waltrip for throwing a punch at Lake Speed in 1995 while Lake Speed was in his racecar.

There also has been fines in the past for Drivers international wreck cars on a cool down lap or wreck a car on pit road after the race.

The whole scene was ridiculous, and gives the sport a bad name (to those who are casual observers only, and may not see the really good aspects of sportsmanship that most others display). Have to agree with one reporter's take on Clint's helmet shielding him from any counter-punches from Ryan. Ryan's head was unprotected -- not exactly a level playing field there, so to speak. But all that aside, that kind of boorish behavior is disappointing. There are better ways to settle disputes.

wdwfan4ver

International Speedway Corporation agreed to be bought by NASCAR. There only things left is the Government needs to okay it and the stockholders of International Speedway Corporation approves it.

wdwfan4ver

NASCAR Hall of Fame announced Edsel Ford ii is the Landmark Award winner. Edsel Ford II's role in how he got the award is easy since the Ford Motor company has been involved NASCAR for many years.

The 5 people Inducted into the 2020 Hall of fame class are Tony Stewart, Joe Gibbs, Waddell Wilson, Buddy Baker, and Bobby Labonte.

Tony Stewart is no brainer. Stewart's Resume as a driver is too strong to make him wait as a car owner. As a car owner, Stewart is young at 48 years old compare to the other cup owners out there.

NASCAR voters were correct in picking Joe Gibbs. My reasoning is he's 78 years old going to be 79 in November. What this does is opens the door for past car owners in NASCAR or lower level racing legends like the legendary organization of Holman-Moody.

Waddell Wilson is a person that is extremely worthy of the honor. He is known as a crew chief and as an engine builder. Waddell's engines won over 100 cup races including lots of Daytona 500s.

Buddy Baker is a curious case to me. On the race track, there people not in the Hall of Fame that better than Buddy. Buddy as a driver knew how to go fast, but he was too hard on his equipment and explains only 1 Daytona 500 win. He got in partly due to his TV and Radio Career for NASCAR.

Bobby Labonte is only in due to his Xfinity and cup championships. Bobby as a driver had a 8 year prime, but only 2 top 5 points finishes. Bobby from a talent standpoint was one of the weaker cup drivers to win a cup championship. Bobby's strength as a driver was on intermediate tracks and big ovals in general that were not restrictor plates. I think his win totals did hurt when JGR was a single car team from 1995 to 1998.

Last edited:

artvandelay

Who’s getting psyched for the greatest day in Motorsports?! This Sunday, Monaco GP in the morning, Indy 500 in the afternoon, and the Coke 600 at night. Of the three, the 500 has been the most enjoyable to watch the last couple of years.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Who’s getting psyched for the greatest day in Motorsports?! This Sunday, Monaco GP in the morning, Indy 500 in the afternoon, and the Coke 600 at night. Of the three, the 500 has been the most enjoyable to watch the last couple of years.

Never seen the Monaco race before. The Indy 500 is iconic, although I'm not that much into Formula racing. (Yet, to be there in person watching, I'm sure would be an entirely different experience.)

I'll be watching (on TV) the Coke 600. :)

wdwfan4ver

It's not likely that I'll be watching Monaco.

I actually don't know the time for the Indy 500 due to the weather there. At this point, there is a big chance of rain throughout Sunday. If it starts on Monday, I'll be watching the race.

I'll be watching the Coca Cola 600 though.

wdwfan4ver

How come? Since I rarely see those races, I'm curious as to why the qualifying is a mistake. Is this something relatively new? Does it (for example) ruin a tradition of non-qualifying?
What I read was Ferrari made the huge mistake of not sending out their driver out to do a 2nd qualifying lap because they thought the qualifying time for their 1st lap was good enough to make the 2nd round of qualifying.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Someone's having a great year! (Congrats to Martin Truex, Jr.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom