2024 NASCAR

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Jimmie Johnson is going to be sponsored by Carvana in Indycar.

I just can't see Jimmie switching over to Indycar. Nothing against Indycar, but Jimmie has been a NASCAR star for many years, and I just can't wrap my head around him going to open-wheel racing, at this point. 🤷‍♀️ Anyone else have an opinion on this new development for him?

wdwfan4ver

I just can't see Jimmie switching over to Indycar. Nothing against Indycar, but Jimmie has been a NASCAR star for many years, and I just can't wrap my head around him going to open-wheel racing, at this point. 🤷‍♀️ Anyone else have an opinion on this new development for him?
I heard of NASCAR drivers that tried their hand in other series before or had plans to. Jimmie's is odd considering he's only doing road courses and street courses in Indycar for 2021. Jimmie was decent at road courses in NASCAR, but that was to me his weakest of the types of tracks he did in NASCAR.

His timing is odd considering Kurt Busch, Cale Yarborough, Donnie Allison and Bobby Allison raced open wheel races during their NASCAR careers at younger ages, but I understand why for Jimmie Johnson. The other thing is it is usually is open wheel drivers going to NASCAR.

The thing with Jimmie is NASCAR's cup schedule is so long that it discourages drivers racing open wheel racing events or sports car events like the 24 hours of Le Mans. Rick Hendrick is known not allow his drivers to race outside of NASCAR during NASCAR's season. I recalled reading about sponsors and teams actually limiting drivers

Personally I think Jimmie wants a new challenge and is very likely he knew about open wheel racing growing up. Open Wheel racing had multiple events in California back when Jimmie was growing up. NASCAR was not as popular as Open wheel racing back in the 1980s.

I don't see Jimmie winning a race in Indycar because he's starting at an old age compare to other drivers. The best way to put it is I think Jimmie would be the 1st or 2nd oldest driver in Indycar next year, but the experience isn't there. The last time a driver over 45 years old won in Indycar or CART was in 1995 and the driver was Emerson Fittipaldi. Emerson was 48 years old in 1995 and he had a lot of open wheel experience.

As far as NASCAR drivers trying something new late in their racing career, Earnhardt had plans of doing sports car events like the 24 hours of le man before the 2001 Daytona 500 fatal crash prevented that.

wdwfan4ver

It was announced that William Byron's pit crew did not pit him at Texas and will not at Martinsville. Multiple members of the pit crew have covid-19. William Byron is using Ricky Stenhouse Jr's pit crew.

wdwfan4ver

NASCAR announced they reviewed Kevin Harvick's and Erik Jones actions near the end of the Martinsville race and declared no penalties.

They reviewed Harvick due to complains about Kevin trying to get in the next chase round by gaining extra spot by trying to go pass Kyle Busch by wrecking.

Erik Jones actions were revealed due to radio conversation of Spotter telling Erik not to pass Denny Hamlin, so Denny can be in the final 4, but NASCAR still did not penalize Gibbs.

Kevin not being penalized is due other drivers did take other drivers out for a getting into the next round before like Newman did to Kyle Larson at Phoenix in 2014.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Original Poster
APTOPIX_NASCAR_PHOENIX_AUTO_RACING_60301067.jpeg

wdwfan4ver

Las Vegas Motor Speedway has announced they are hold 2 cup races a year through 2031. They extended a sponsor contract with the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority. What is known is the sponsor is cutting back on the amount money they sponsor a year though. The sponsorship before 2022 was for for 2.5 million dollars each year.

The new terms has the following dollars amounts: $750,000 in the 2021 fiscal year, $1.625 million in Fiscal 2022 and $1.75 million in each fiscal year from 2023 to 2031.

wdwfan4ver

John Hunter Nemechek announced he will not be returning to Front Row Motor Sports next year.

I don't know where he is going to go. I know his dad has a truck series team. I have no idea on possible rides John Hunter Nemechek could go to outside Spire Motorsports on the cup side. Spire are going to have Hendrick equipment next year, but did not announce drivers yet.

wdwfan4ver

Crew Chief changes were announced for Joe Gibbs racing.
Christopher Bell is getting Kyle Busch's crew chief Adam Stevens.

Kyle is getting Ben Beshore as a crew chief. Ben for the last 2 seasons has been a crew chief in the Xfinity series with a total of 8 win.s He was Harrison Burton's crew chief last year and Harrison Burton had a great rookie season with 4 wins, 15 top 5's and 22 top 10's.

wdwfan4ver

Matt Kaulig announced his race organization is on the market for getting a charter in 2022.
I got an update of Kaulig Racing. The intend to run all Super Speedway and road course races in 2021 for the cup series. They did not say, but I know their driver line up for the Xfinity series. Currently they have Justin Haley, Jeb Burton and Aj Allmendinger. I'm guessing they are are going to use a driver based on the type of track.

wdwfan4ver

Got an update on John Hunter Nemechek. He left Front Row Racing for Kyle Busch Motorsports in the truck series although I question it. I do have 2 things on why. John this year struggled due to not having practice as a rookie for a mid pack at best team and 2021 will have 28 cup races without practice.

The 2nd thing is John Hunter Nemechek is betting on 23XI racing expanding. Denny did say his race team has plans for expanding in the future.

What John Hunter Nemechek is doing for going to Toyota is very risky. Kyle Busch Motorsports was a top truck organization, but I think there the organization didn't adjust to the engine rules and now that organization lost their best crew chief to the cup series. Kyle is betting on John due winning 6 times in the truck series for his dad's underfunded race team.

What I know about Toyota on the cup level beside 23XI racing is no one knows how long Denny Hamlin and Truex will race. Some drivers still are great in their 40's, but some decline like in the case of Jimmie Johnson. Denny turned 40 earlier this month and Truex will be 41 in June next year. Toyota's farm system is an issue in the past having more drivers than seats, but the talent level at JGR is a problem was Xfinity series in 2020. Harrison Burton was great as a rookie, but rest of JGR Xfinity drivers is not much to write home about along Brandon Jones had 3 wins.

Last edited:

Lilofan

RIP Rowdy Harrell, NASCAR pit crew member Hendrick Motorsports age 30. He and his newlywed wife age 23 were killed instantly when their car veered off US1 in the FL Keys and smashed head on with a truck. They were both on their honeymoon. Rowdy was also a former linebacker for the Univ of Alabama.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom