2024 NASCAR

wdwfan4ver

NASCAR made a Qualifying tweak announcement after all 12 cup cars for the final round qualifying didn't post a time at all at Auto Club Speedway.

Here is the first qualifying rule change, any driver that does not take a lap in any of the qualifying rounds will have all previously posted times in the session disallowed.

The 2nd rule change for Qualifying is any driver who blocks pit road at the judgment of Nascar in that prevents other drivers to exist road will face a penalty.

wdwfan4ver

The last race of the season for the cup series is the earliest I ever remember. I had to check Racing-reference and I found out November 8th is the earliest final cup race of the since Rockingham in 1973. The catch is Rockingham happened on October 21, 1973.

I am happy that Atlanta is no longer going to be the 2nd race of the season. From a weather standpoint, it was a bad idea being the 2nd race of the season.

Homestead being the 6th race of the season is a huge change because Homestead always happened in November for the cup series. I'm a wait and see for Martinsville under the lights with it being the day before Mother's Day.

Pocono double header has a lot of questions such as how the trucks and the Xfinity races are going to be handled there. There also is question of how cup qualifying for Pocono is going be handled since the two cup races happened on back to back days. NASCAR did this to Pocono because NBC is going the Olympics next year.

Indianapolis Motor Speedway having a July 4th weekend date is bad and I wonder if NASCAR did this as an excuse for getting a rid of the track in 2021. The brickyard 400 left July/August originally due to heat with the owners of IMS thought one of the factors of the Brickyard 400's attendance on the decline was the heat since the track has no lights.

2nd Daytona race being moved to August 29th is bad for multiple reasons. 2nd Daytona race has a very long tradition of it happening around July 4th weekend. The 2nd problem is you are dealing with peak hurricane season for Florida on August 29th considering Daytona's location on the Florida map. There is more of a chance of Daytona getting affected by a hurricane than WDW although WDW got closed in 2016 and 2017 due to Hurricanes. At Least Nascar didn't put the Homestead race on August 29th because Homestead has a bigger chance of getting hit if there is a hurricane.

It also feels odd having a 2nd Dover race that happens in August instead of September or the first half of October.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

I am going the playoffs for 2020. Darlington, Richmond and Bristol is going to be a great round 1 for the 2020 chase. This round to me helps out drivers like Chase Elliott.

Las Vegas, Talladega, and Charlotte roval is a decent 2nd round although Charlotte is a great pick for the final race of the 2nd round.

The third round having Kansas, Texas and Martinsville is not that great. That round really caters to the teams that handle 1.5 mile tracks the best.

Phoenix being the final race of the season in 2020 season actually is I have to wait and see to judge.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
2nd Daytona race being moved to August 29th is bad for multiple reasons. 2nd Daytona race has a very long tradition of it happening around July 4th weekend. The 2nd problem is you are dealing with peak hurricane season for Florida on August 29th considering Daytona's location on the Florida map. There is more of a chance of Daytona getting affected by a hurricane than WDW although WDW got closed in 2016 and 2017 due to Hurricanes. At Least Nascar didn't put the Homestead race on August 29th because Homestead has a bigger chance of getting hit if there is a hurricane.

That really stood out in the report to me, as well. I wondered what was behind their decision to move the 2nd race, other than they moved around some others in the series. Just not sure I understand a lot of what's going on for 2020.

wdwfan4ver

That really stood out in the report to me, as well. I wondered what was behind their decision to move the 2nd race, other than they moved around some others in the series. Just not sure I understand a lot of what's going on for 2020.
What I know is NASCAR claims they moved Daytona's 2nd because they want the last race before the chase by having a exciting race to determine who gets in.

What I about the final date before the chase is, there has been problems with that date being exciting. The 2nd Richmond race usually became less exciting as the last race before the chase due to drivers don't want to be aggressive in terms of not wanting to knock out a driver that was in the chase before the final race of the chase.

I know NASCAR moved the Brickyard 400 into Richmond's old spot. I think NASCAR realized two problems with that. The first is it didn't help out the Brickyard 400 attendance despite it being a cooler month. The 2nd problem is Indianapolis is better for Indy cars than Stock cars and NASCAR figured the track can't provide enough excitement as the final race before the chase.

artvandelay

What I know is NASCAR claims they moved Daytona's 2nd because they want the last race before the chase by having a exciting race to determine who gets in.

What I about the final date before the chase is, there has been problems with that date being exciting. The 2nd Richmond race usually became less exciting as the last race before the chase due to drivers don't want to be aggressive in terms of not wanting to knock out a driver that was in the chase before the final race of the chase.

I know NASCAR moved the Brickyard 400 into Richmond's old spot. I think NASCAR realized two problems with that. The first is it didn't help out the Brickyard 400 attendance despite it being a cooler month. The 2nd problem is Indianapolis is better for Indy cars than Stock cars and NASCAR figured the track can't provide enough excitement as the final race before the chase.
I know it sounds crazy to cut one of the marquee races, but I wouldn’t be upset if Indianapolis is cut from the schedule after 2020.

wdwfan4ver

I know it sounds crazy to cut one of the marquee races, but I wouldn’t be upset if Indianapolis is cut from the schedule after 2020.
It actually does not sound crazy to me. I actually want IMS gone from the NASCAR schedule. Formula 1 stopped going to the track after 2007 due to declining attendance. F1 used the Indy road course the race track has. The novelty of NASCAR at Indianapolis Motor Speedway is long gone and the popularity isn't there for racing at the track since it provides bad racing for NASCAR.

The truth is when NASCAR first raced the Brickyard 400 in 1994, NASCAR tried to get a race at IMS since the 1980s after Ontario Motor speedway closed down in 1980. Ontario Motor Speedway based on what I read the California version of Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but the track had very poor attendance in the 1970s. I think NASCAR wanting to go there even back in the 1980s because NASCAR only wanted to go there do to it being a famous race track was a mistake.

I actually followed Indy Cars before NASCAR. I first followed NASCAR in 1993 with it being Daytona 500. As far the Brickyard 400 goes, the only reason it is considered crown jewel by some members of the media and the driver is the legacy of the track. The problem is it is not worthy of the claim being a marquee NASCAR event.

When I think of a crown jewel race for NASCAR, I think of Daytona 500, Southern 500, Coca Cola 600, Bristol Night time race before Bruton Smith ruined the track by changing configuration of the track.

Last edited:

JPPT1974

It seems that Indy cars are sleeker and faster. NASCAR will need to try to look into more faster cars. But keeping of their stock cars.

artvandelay

It actually does not sound crazy to me. I actually want IMS gone from the NASCAR schedule. Formula 1 stopped going to the track after 2007 due to declining attendance. F1 used the Indy road course the race track has. The novelty of NASCAR at Indianapolis Motor Speedway is long gone and the popularity isn't there for racing at the track since it provides bad racing for NASCAR.

The truth is when NASCAR first raced the Brickyard 400 in 1994, NASCAR tried to get a race at IMS since the 1980s after Ontario Motor speedway closed down in 1980. Ontario Motor Speedway based on what I read the California version of Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but the track had very poor attendance in the 1970s. I think NASCAR wanting to go there even back in the 1980s because NASCAR only wanted to go there do to it being a famous race track was a mistake.

I actually followed Indy Cars before NASCAR. I first followed NASCAR in 1993 with it being Daytona 500. As far the Brickyard 400 goes, the only reason it is considered crown jewel by some members of the media and the driver is the legacy of the track. The problem is it is not worthy of the claim being a marquee NASCAR event.

When I think of a crown jewel race for NASCAR, I think of Daytona 500, Brickyard 400, Coca Cola 600, Bristol Night time race before Bruton Smith ruined the track by changing configuration of the track.
I would love for Indy to be off the schedule.

I’d also include the Southern 500 as a crown jewel.

wdwfan4ver

It seems that Indy cars are sleeker and faster. NASCAR will need to try to look into more faster cars. But keeping of their stock cars.
Yes, Indycars always been slicker and faster. I don't think possible of keeping their stock cars for Indy. Keep in Michigan also was better as an open wheel track than a NASCAR track. The problem is open wheel cars aka Indycar never were made a look like a car that you expect at a car dealership.

The problem is Stock car are not meant have the nose or the wings of Indycar/open wheel cars do. I do know for a short time true wing cars existed in NASCAR back in 1969 and 1970. I am referring to cars such as the Dodge Charger Daytona, Plymouth Superbird, Even Ford was going into the aero wars in that Time period before NASCAR put an end to that for the 1971 season.

Indy Cars driver race differently at the same tracks. The design of the cars explains why some Indy Car drivers had didn't have the same results in NASCAR than they did in Indy Car.

As Far as Nascar needing to go to faster cars, there is a problem with that. NASCAR management has been scared about speeds for years due to safety reasons and explained what the cup cars had Restrictor plates at Daytona and Talladega from 1988 to this year's Daytona 500. Bobby Allison's 1987 Talladega crash caused the restrictor plates. Bobby Allison went airborne and ripped down almost almost 100 feet of protective catch fence.

NASCAR usually did not like cars going over 200 MPH a lap although somehow NASCAR did that after Michigan was resurfaced for a time before NASCAR added tapered spacers.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

There is rule changes for the 2 Talladega races and the July Daytona race. NASCAR did a test and found the speeds faster than they desired with them being 550 horsepower.

The new changes are rear spoiler increased from 8 to 9 inches, and raising the rear of the car by an inch. I'm guessing NASCAR is trying increase drag of the cars after the team reduced drag of the cars for Talladega and Daytona as a way to increase speed.

artvandelay

I don't think the track tell us a lot.

Texas has a newer surface and goodyear brought a hard tire that did not give up during a run. It was very difficult to pass based on what what I seen. Teams depended on pit strategy even in the xfinity series race.
And another qualifying controversy at Texas. I hope they go back to single car qualifying. I liked it and didn’t find it boring.

wdwfan4ver

And another qualifying controversy at Texas. I hope they go back to single car qualifying. I liked it and didn’t find it boring.
The catch is a lot of the qualifying depends on drafting. The drafting is causing problems because of how slow the cars are. NASCAR hasn't announced anything yet back to single car qualifying.

wdwfan4ver

The questions about Pocono for the double header for next year is somewhat answered with the cup series racing on back to back days. The Xfinity series will be racing on the same Sunday as the cup Cars. The truck series now will be racing on Saturday next year like the cup cars will be.

The problem is I see is Pocono always been track that weather can play a factor. It does not answer Arca despite Arca racing at Pocono for years. Pocono does not have any lights either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom