2020 Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel Ariel

Likewise off topic (somewhat)

Its interesting to note that the end of the Cold War ushered in Americans fighting amongst themselves. Slowly at first but gathered steam as the years passed by.

With no external threat we’ve fallen upon ourselves. I’m of the opinion there is no going back and is going to get worse, much worse.
I wouldn’t say the end of the Cold War ushered that in. McCarthyism, civil rights, Vietnam....we had plenty of infighting happening during the Cold War...

Angel Ariel

Advertisement
As I’ve said numerous times: we could have a 9/11 type attack again and I’m unsure if half the population would condemn the act. That’s now, imagine four years from now how much worse it’s going to be. I don’t see any coming together anytime soon.
3,000 people lost their lives in 9/11, and the nation unified like I have never seen. My memories of that day, that week are seared into my brain.

The pandemic is almost at the point of taking 100 times that number of people, and look how divided the nation is. The pandemic may not be a threat from a foreign power, but it is an external threat...we could have come together, and instead it’s just more politicized.

sadly I agree that I don’t see that changing.

Angel Ariel

Taking someone out of the Senate, taking someone out of the House, particularly a person of consequence, is really a difficult decision that will have to be made,” Biden said in an exclusive interview on NBC News, the first such interview he’s given since winning the White House. “I have a very ambitious, very progressive agenda, and it’s going to take really strong leaders in the House and Senate to get it done.”

The remarks come as the president-elect begins to build his administration, including staffing his Cabinet. He has already unveiled nominees for several national security posts, including secretary of State, ambassador to the United Nations, national security adviser and more. None of the nominees thus far are members of Congress.
I don’t think he is going to choose any sitting congressperson for anything if he can help it.

Disney Analyst

3,000 people lost their lives in 9/11, and the nation unified like I have never seen. My memories of that day, that week are seared into my brain.

The pandemic is almost at the point of taking 100 times that number of people, and look how divided the nation is. The pandemic may not be a threat from a foreign power, but it is an external threat...we could have come together, and instead it’s just more politicized.

sadly I agree that I don’t see that changing.
I often think and wonder about this. What made those lives different? I in no way want to diminish that loss or the horror suffered, but it’s a strange.. behaviour. It will be twenty years next year, and everyone will remember and mourn again.

Will we honour those who died from this insidious disease in the same way? Will we remember?

I imagine this isn’t thought of seen the same as it happened over time. Not in an instant moment.

danlb_2000

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Premium Member
If Giuliani shows up in a top hat and fake beard, this could potentially top his previous performances.

More on this event:

Last edited:

TINKWINGS

Premium Member
1606309124486.png
1606309198939.png
1606309260287.png

DisneyDebRob

Poll was done by Newsmax, so not surprising. A Harvard CAPS-Harris poll fund 58% of people said he should concede.

I really want to know what’s going through the minds of the other 42%.

DisneyDebRob

I often think and wonder about this. What made those lives different? I in no way want to diminish that loss or the horror suffered, but it’s a strange.. behaviour. It will be twenty years next year, and everyone will remember and mourn again.

Will we honour those who died from this insidious disease in the same way? Will we remember?

I imagine this isn’t thought of seen the same as it happened over time. Not in an instant moment.
It’s was a horrible thing that happened on 9/11. All of us across the country was shaken and moved by it. We came together as a country like never before.
In saying that, I think of what you wrote often. Could it be because this virus is hitting home with everyone? Not meaning 9/11 didn’t but I think it’s different because it happened in NY and someone living in ,say Minnesota might be shocked and hurt by it but there job isn’t in danger.. family members aren’t getting sick and maybe dying. So we can mourn and stick together but not really our individual home lives and family weren’t being in the forefront of our minds. Either way it’s wrong IMO.
Just a thought.
Also it’s the message from our leaders. Division and inaction play a major part in people taking sides. Back then it was a message if we are being attacked and we need to stick together. Everyone realized what we needed to do.

The Mom

Premium Member

The event, and loss of life, came right into our living room. It happened to a landmark that many, many had visited or seen on film - so even if we didn't live in NYC, we "knew" it.

The same is true when a plane crashes. It makes National news, and anyone who has flown can identify. A bus full of children crashes often makes national news.

One or two people or children dying in a car crash - even though their total numbers are much larger - do not make national headlines.
Covid deaths are personal tragedies, just as other deaths are. Victims generally die one at a time, often alone, and sometimes unmourned. We know intellectually that thousands of people are dying, but unless it touches us personally we don't have the same visceral response as we did watching the towers fall - knowing that thousands were dying at the same time.

And there is still a lot of blame going on about Covid. With a couple of exceptions (Trump, Cuomo), the blame is not aimed at a specific individual, but rather at a group of mostly unknown (as individuals) people. Or the victim is blamed for bringing it on themselves- ignoring the fact that even those who do everything right can still die, and others who do everything wrong can still go along unscathed.

kong1802

We have been living in “ very interesting times’ for the last 4 years.
I’m not sure how old you are but I’m 58 and have never seen anything like the last 4 years. I love the way what has happened has been just normalized, as you put it” imperfect vessel of growing frustration “ in this country. Was the country that frustrated 4 years ago? I realize some don’t like some thing’s Obama did, that the way with any president, but frustrated to the point of electing someone with no idea on how to run a country? Just that I’m a businessman and I’ll straighten it out? It’s been a joke. He is incompetent in most areas of running the government and worse in others.
It was time for a change. You may be correct on Biden winning because most just wanted Trump out. I think people want normalcy again in the government. People just want to wake up in the morning and finally not hear about what the president tweeted and what celebrity he’s attacking. I can’t believe I’m actually typing this stuff. It’s unreal.
He’s still doing his own thing with delaying the briefings.. firing people who went against him etc.
We have 40,000,000 people facing eviction..the senate is on vacation..food lines are stretching for miles..no Covid relief..Americans dying in droves.. and he’s out playing golf. People are sick of it.

Amen!

Matt_Black

I once had a dream about Randy Quaid. Confused and disheveled, he was chasing me through a Boscov's because he thought he knew me and wanted to catch up. Every time I'd thought I'd lost him, I'd hear a "Hey, BUDDY..." and the chase would begin anew.

When I told a friend, she said, "That's terrifying! Have you SEEN Randy Quaid recently? That's the kind of thing that could actually happen!", and I just responded with, "Yeah, I know, that's why I was relieved when I woke up."

eliza61nyc

Once again, if a poster is posting something that they think is funny, and it elicits a laugh from other posters, the emoji is OK.
If it is being used to laugh AT another poster as a way to belittle what they have posted, it is not OK.

If in doubt, don't use it.
Thanks @themom . I'll try and remember, I some times forget that my brand of "off center" humor (think the far side comic strip) is not everyone's cup of tea.

To my other compadres, no matter how contentious we may get please believe if I am using the laugh emoji, I am laughing at some thing I think is funny.

Heppenheimer

I once had a dream about Randy Quaid. Confused and disheveled, he was chasing me through a Boscov's because he thought he knew me and wanted to catch up. Every time I'd thought I'd lost him, I'd hear a "Hey, BUDDY..." and the chase would begin anew.

When I told a friend, she said, "That's terrifying! Have you SEEN Randy Quaid recently? That's the kind of thing that could actually happen!", and I just responded with, "Yeah, I know, that's why I was relieved when I woke up."
"Liked" specifically because Randy Quaid was chasing you in Boscov's.

Willmark

I wouldn’t say the end of the Cold War ushered that in. McCarthyism, civil rights, Vietnam....we had plenty of infighting happening during the Cold War...
Sure but my point is that without an omnipresent possibility of instant annihilation the various factions (for lack of a better term) never could get too out of hand.

As far as Vietnam? I’m a firm believer that the culture wars of the late 60s never really went away. It just lay quiescent while the boomers started raising families and/or making money on Wall Street.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom