2020 Election Thread

The Mom

Premium Member
Advertisement
I wish everyone could agree on one sumple rule that needs to be filed in every voting district. The number of ballots counted must equal the number of people signed in to vote.

I have no idea why that is such an issue.

It should also be easy to ensure that those who vote in a district live there but unfortunately, that leads to a problem for some unknown reason. I remember when I turned 18 and had to register to vote. It was a life experience, something I was brought up my whole life looking forward to, just like earning my driver's license. But now, too many people think it is too hard to take a Saturday morning, bring your ID and register to vote! Why! Also what is wrong with having to provide ID in order to vote. NJ originally denied my ballot because someone questioned my signature but I took the time to send in my proof and fix it. That was a much bigger inconvenience than registering to vote or proving ID. No big deal.
My children actually had someone from the supervisor of elections office come on to their High School campus and have a sign up to vote day. All they had to do was bring a birth certificate with them that day. This also went on at schools all over the county.

danlb_2000

I wish everyone could agree on one sumple rule that needs to be filed in every voting district. The number of ballots counted must equal the number of people signed in to vote.

I have no idea why that is such an issue.

It should also be easy to ensure that those who vote in a district live there but unfortunately, that leads to a problem for some unknown reason. I remember when I turned 18 and had to register to vote. It was a life experience, something I was brought up my whole life looking forward to, just like earning my driver's license. But now, too many people think it is too hard to take a Saturday morning, bring your ID and register to vote! Why! Also what is wrong with having to provide ID in order to vote. NJ originally denied my ballot because someone questioned my signature but I took the time to send in my proof and fix it. That was a much bigger inconvenience than registering to vote or proving ID. No big deal.

The main objection to voter ID is that a lot of people don't have an appropriate ID and these people are disproportionately low-income, racial and ethnic minorities, the elderly, and people with disabilities.

The Mom

Premium Member
The main objection to voter ID is that a lot of people don't have an appropriate ID and these people are disproportionately low-income, racial and ethnic minorities, the elderly, and people with disabilities.
IMO, it would behoove those groups interested in making sure every single eligible person can vote to assist people with obtaining a photo ID. Not only would it allow them to prove their identity at the polling place, but would aid them in dozens of day to day activities - from applying for food stamps, Medicare/Medicaid, opening a bank account, etc. Just as there are calls to get voters to the polls, perhaps there can be a move to get people IDs. Maybe like the Mammography RVs that set up in shopping centers - go to the areas where people are less likely to have an ID and set up a "Get your Photo ID" day.

BuddyThomas

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Premium Member
Exactly. IDs are not free of charge. People should not have to pay a monetary fee in order to participate in our democracy. Even without the fee, just having to obtain an ID is another step one would have to take in order to participate, which is an additional barrier that disproportionately impacts the populations you reference in your post.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Also I knew it was going to backfire. If they boycott the runoff elections, the Dems get two senators.

Maybe we will go from 2 parties to 4 parties (or 3 parties wit moderate Dems/Republicans joining together). Either way, the far-right will have sunk their chances of having a conservative voice in government.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Premium Member
One of the PA lawsuits from last week.

”One might expect that when seeking such a startling outcome, a plaintiff would come formidably armed with compelling legal arguments and factual proof of rampant corruption, such that this Court would have no option but to regrettably grant the proposed injunctive relief despite the impact it would have on such a large group of citizens. That has not happened.”

Quinnmac000

Three weeks after two law enforcement agencies used pepper spray to break up a peaceful march to the polls in Graham, N.C., the county sheriff’s office said it would charge the march’s organizer, the Rev. Greg Drumwright, with felony assault on an officer and obstructing justice.
The Alamance County Sheriff’s Office said it has reviewed video of the Oct. 31 rally and alleged that Drumwright, reverend of the Citadel Church in nearby Greensboro, was involved in an “altercation” that left a deputy injured.
“These charges are retaliatory in our view,” said Elizabeth Haddix, an attorney with the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, which represents Drumwright in the two lawsuits. “We’re looking forward to seeing the video the sheriff referenced. The videos we have seen dispute his statement.”

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Premium Member
Now that GA has certified it seems that the velocity of Trump’s spiral has drastically increased. I guess that round of golf today instead of attending the G20 session wasn‘t that relaxing.

He is right about the last part, the world is indeed watching...and they are laughing at a sad and fragile man who only cares about himself.

Disney Analyst

Now that GA has certified it seems that the velocity of Trump’s spiral has drastically increased. I guess that round of golf today instead of attending the G20 session wasn‘t that relaxing.

He is right about the last part, the world is indeed watching...and they are laughing at a sad and fragile man who only cares about himself.

Hey Drump. Canada here, part of the world that’s watching. We’ve all agreed (the world) that you are spiraling out of control and that there was no fraud.

Enjoy your last two months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom