• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

2020 Candidates, Debates, Caucuses, and Primaries

Smooch

Bernie is out! Joe Biden is the presumptive Democratic Nominee.

Technically he isn't out of the race he is just suspending his campaign, correct? I do not support Bernie or Biden, so I am not saying this to try and convince people to still go out and vote for him, I just don't like dishonest journalism. When I initially saw the news on Twitter it kept saying he "dropped out of the race" but when I went to see the announcement and look into more articles about it, I started to see he was only suspending his campaign and is still on the ballot and I think it is incredibly scummy to see so many publishers try and trick readers into thinking he is completely out of the race.

All that said, I do not support Bernie or Biden and I firmly believe that Trump is going to get re-elected. I think most people could see the writing on the wall that Bernie was gonna do this sooner or later, except all the Bernie Bros who refused to acknowledge numbers and only listen to their echo chamber of supporters which created a skewed perception of the number of Bernie supporters in their heads. This is a really really common phenomena and the most prominent example in my head right now is that earlier this semester in my Human Sexuality class I am taking, the professor asked the class to guess how many LGBTQ people make up the population in the United States and a majority of the class guessed numbers close to 40% or more because all their friends are LGBTQ and they only follow LGBTQ social media and such, so they were shocked when they learned the answer is somewhere below 5%. I don't mean to get into the topic of LGBTQ people, I do support them, but that whole situation is the clearest comparison I could think of with this whole situation of supporters who seemed shocked by a decision that was truthfully expected by many.

*Grand Admiral Thrawn*

Advertisement
Technically he isn't out of the race he is just suspending his campaign, correct? I do not support Bernie or Biden, so I am not saying this to try and convince people to still go out and vote for him, I just don't like dishonest journalism. When I initially saw the news on Twitter it kept saying he "dropped out of the race" but when I went to see the announcement and look into more articles about it, I started to see he was only suspending his campaign and is still on the ballot and I think it is incredibly scummy to see so many publishers try and trick readers into thinking he is completely out of the race.

All that said, I do not support Bernie or Biden and I firmly believe that Trump is going to get re-elected. I think most people could see the writing on the wall that Bernie was gonna do this sooner or later, except all the Bernie Bros who refused to acknowledge numbers and only listen to their echo chamber of supporters which created a skewed perception of the number of Bernie supporters in their heads. This is a really really common phenomena and the most prominent example in my head right now is that earlier this semester in my Human Sexuality class I am taking, the professor asked the class to guess how many LGBTQ people make up the population in the United States and a majority of the class guessed numbers close to 40% or more because all their friends are LGBTQ and they only follow LGBTQ social media and such, so they were shocked when they learned the answer is somewhere below 5%. I don't mean to get into the topic of LGBTQ people, I do support them, but that whole situation is the clearest comparison I could think of with this whole situation of supporters who seemed shocked by a decision that was truthfully expected by many.
Suspend is a "easy" way to say you are done. The reason Bernie hasn't removed himself from the ballots in other states is because he is hoping he gains some votes to leverage Biden at the convention to go more towards the left.

*Grand Admiral Thrawn*

It was only a matter of time. It is odd why he waited so long.

Gomer

Premium Member
It was only a matter of time. It is odd why he waited so long.
Obama's camp has always indicated that they saw his greatest value in the general as a voice of unity for the democrats. Getting dragged down into the mud of primary squabbling would have tarnished that image. So he waited on the outside until the party had determined the nominee. I imagine you'll see a lot more of him now that it is settled.

Just from my point of view, I think he serves more purpose as a symbol of the anti-Trump method. A reminder to democrats of the type of leader they could have in office instead of Trump. If you start getting into the policy specifics of a primary battle Obama is much more divisive amongst the broader left. But as as symbol of the calmer, more traditional era before Trump was elected he has a great unifying impact.

*Grand Admiral Thrawn*

Obama's camp has always indicated that they saw his greatest value in the general as a voice of unity for the democrats. Getting dragged down into the mud of primary squabbling would have tarnished that image. So he waited on the outside until the party had determined the nominee. I imagine you'll see a lot more of him now that it is settled.

Just from my point of view, I think he serves more purpose as a symbol of the anti-Trump method. A reminder to democrats of the type of leader they could have in office instead of Trump. If you start getting into the policy specifics of a primary battle Obama is much more divisive amongst the broader left. But as as symbol of the calmer, more traditional era before Trump was elected he has a great unifying impact.
I definitely see your point. From what we have heard President Obama really did not want Joe to run. He was hoping Warren or Mayor Pete got the nomination. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

*Grand Admiral Thrawn*

Getachew

Laketravis

Boy, you are really trying hard.

Puzzled by your comment. Is it intended to be antagonistic? Argumentative? Snide? A personal attack?

And are you calling me "Boy"? In any event, I'm really getting tired of it.

@The Mom, aren't those against forum rules?

Last edited:

Laketravis

So Barry now endorses Uncle Joe. But how does he really feel?

"One Democrat who spoke to Obama recalled the former president warning, “Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f**k things up.” Speaking of his own waning understanding of today’s Democratic electorate, especially in Iowa, Obama told one 2020 candidate: “And you know who really doesn’t have it? Joe Biden.”

MinnieM123

Uh oh...........

"The preliminary 18.24 million average total viewer mark for Night 2 of 2020 represents a 25% decline versus Night 2 of the 2016 DNC"

Although I support the reason behind a virtual convention during a pandemic, I think that the excitement level for some of the viewers (myself included) has gone down with this format.

Another issue is that the three major networks are only carrying one hour each night--and only for the last 2 speakers each day. Where I live in the Northeast, that means that it's not until 10:00 PM, when they start to broadcast it. (I have access to C-Span and satellite news stations, but want to note that there are still (some) people who may not have that access, or even internet service in their homes.)

As I recall, the three major networks used to cover many hours of both the Democratic and Republican conventions. IMO, this lack of exposure this week is (part) of the reason why the ratings are lower. I'm not aware yet of how much coverage the networks will give to the Republican convention next week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom