2020 Candidates, Debates, Caucuses, and Primaries

Princess Leia

Original Poster
This is going to be a continuously updating space on all serious contenders for President now that we have 2 Dems with exploratory committees. I'm only planning on adding them to the list once they announce, so no Biden, Kasich, etc. at the moment. If their name is bold, they've officially announced they're running. Strike-through indicates that they've ended their campaign.

Please try to refrain from bullying and name-calling (I know politics can be heated, but try to keep it civil).

Republicans
  • Donald Trump
    • Current President (2017-present)
  • Bill Weld
    • Libertarian candidate for VP (2016)
    • Governor of Massachusetts (1991-1997)
  • Joe Walsh
    • Congressman from Illinois (2011-2013)
  • Mark Sanford
    • Congressman from South Carolina (2013-2019)
    • Governor of South Carolina (2003-2011)
Democrats (in order of delegates won)
  • Bernie Sanders
    • US Senator from Vermont (2007-present)
    • Congressman from Vermont (1991-2007)
      • 58 Delegates
  • Elizabeth Warren
    • US Senator from Massachusetts (2013-present)
      • 8 Delegates
  • Joe Biden
    • Vice President of the United States (2009-2017)
    • US Senator from Delaware (1973-2009)
      • 50 Delegates
  • Tulsi Gabbard
    • Congresswoman from Hawaii (2013-present)
  • Richard Ojeda
    • Former state senator from West Virginia
  • Eric Swalwell
    • Congressman from California (2013-present)
  • Seth Moulton
    • Congressman from Massachusetts (2015-present)
  • Mike Gravel
    • US Senator from Alaska (1969-1981) endorsed Sanders
  • Jay Inslee
    • Governor of Washington (2013-present)
    • Congressman from Washington (1993-1995, 1999-2012)
  • John Hickenlooper
    • Governor of Colorado (2011-2019)
    • Mayor of Denver (2003-2011)
  • Kirsten Gillibrand
    • US Senator from New York (2009-present)
    • Congresswoman from NY (2007-2009)
  • Bill de Blasio
    • Mayor of New York City (2014-present)
  • Tim Ryan
    • Congressman from Ohio (2003-present)
  • Beto O’Rourke
    • Congressman from Texas (2013-2019)
  • Wayne Messam
    • Mayor of Miramar, Florida (2015-present)
  • Steve Bullock
    • Governor from Montana (2012-present)
    • Attorney General of Montana (2008-2012)
  • Joe Sestak
    • Congressman from Pennsylvania (2007-2011)
  • Kamala Harris
    • US Senator from California (2017-present)
    • California Attorney General (2011-2017)
  • Julian Castro
    • US Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: (2014-2017)
    • Mayor of San Antonio: (2009-2014)
  • Cory Booker
    • US Senator from New Jersey (2013-present)
    • Mayor of Newark (2006-2013)
  • Marianne Williamson
    • author, lecturer, and activist
  • John Delaney
    • Congressman from Maryland (2013-2019)
  • Andrew Yang
    • Entrepreneur, founder of Venture for America
  • Michael Bennet
    • US Senator from Colorado (2009-present)
  • Tom Steyer
    • Founder of Farallon Capital
  • Deval Patrick
    • Governor of Massachusetts (2007-2015)
  • Pete Buttigieg
    • Mayor of South Bend, IN (2012-present)
      • 26 Delegates
  • Amy Klobuchar
    • US Senator from Minnesota (2007-present)
      • 7 Delegates
  • Michael Bloomberg
    • Mayor of NYC (2002-2013)
Caucuses & Primaries (2020)
  • Monday, February 3
    • Iowa Caucus
      • Winner: Contested
  • Tuesday, February 11
    • New Hampshire Primary
      • Winner: Sanders
        • Runner up: Buttigieg
  • Saturday, February 22 (D) /25 (R)
    • Nevada Caucus
  • Saturday, February 15 (R) /29 (D)
    • South Carolina Primary
  • Tuesday, March 3
    • Super Tuesday 1
      • Alabama
      • Alaska convention
      • California- NEW to 2020
      • Massachusetts
      • North Carolina
      • Oklahoma
      • Tennessee
      • Texas
      • Vermont
      • Virginia
  • Tuesday, March 10
    • Super Tuesday 2
      • Michigan
      • Mississippi
      • Missouri
      • Ohio
Conventions
  • Democratic
    • July 13-16
    • Location Milwaukee, WI
  • Republican
    • August 24-27
    • Charlotte, NC

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

Advertisement
Only two DNC debates?

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Okay, I know I said I only wanted to mention serious candidates, but this caught my eye this morning- Martin O’Malley has dropped out of the 2020 race and endorsed Beto.

1. I didn’t know O’Malley was running again.
2. Beto isn’t even an official candidate yet.

seascape

Until Democrats and Republicans can go back to the 1950s and learn again that both parties want what is best for the country and stop this stupid insanity that they other party is evil. we will continue to spiral down. The backroom smoke filled rooms used to come up with candidates that could attract the middle. The way things are now is the extremes of both parties have taken over and won the primaries. Things need to change or we will never get along. JFK could never win a Democratic Primary today or general election because he asked us to, "ask not what your country can do for you but what you could do for your country." Trump did not ask us to sacrifice and the last person to run who actually did ask for sacrifice was Walter Mondale and he was blown away in the election.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
shes definitely going for at least a cabinet position or maybe even vp
She definitely increased her news presence earlier this week by telling off her some of her colleagues for discriminating against Catholics. She’s also an Iraq War vet, so I can see some vet groups getting on board. Tulsi may not have the name recognition that Warren has, but I think she’ll do okay in the debates.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
With Tulsi Gabbard & Elizabeth Warren running, and Kamala Harris & Cory Booker thinking about it, I think it’s going to be difficult for Bernie to run this cycle. He was the charismatic ‘Not Hillary’ candidate, and with Hillary not running, and 4 other progressives in the mix (who are all at least 7 years younger; in Tulsi’s case- 40 years younger), he’s best left as a campaign rally speaker.

Julian Castro was supposed to decide today, so I’ll be keeping an eye on the need for that. Tulsi announcing yesterday steals a little bit of that momentum (which had to have been strategic).

Once we get a few more candidates, I might create bigger bios for each of them, including their positions on various issues.

Willmark

Tulsi is a younger less abrasive Bernie Sanders and she checks all the boxes.

If she can go more moderate in the general I can see her having a shot.

As I noted in the centrist and libertarian thread the dem primary is going to be threading an extremely fine needle to get through. Because you can’t go to woke as you’re going to leave plenty of fodder for the general. At the same time the dem primaries is going to be to prove just how left you can be.

Add to this the field being crowded?

I think once Beto announces the field starts to elbow out Warren. Her nonsense about her genetic testing was the political equivalent of opening Al Capone’s vault.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Tulsi is a younger less abrasive Betnie Sanders and she checks all the boxes.

If she can go more moderate in the general I can see her having a shot.

As I noted in the centrist and libertarian thread the dem primary is going to be threading an extremely fine needle to get through. Because you can’t go to woke as you’re going to leave plenty of fodder for the general. At the same time the dem primaries is going to be to prove just how left you can be.

Add to this the field being crowded?

I think once Beto announces the field starts to elbow out Warren. Her nonsense about her genetic testing was the political equivalent of opening Al Capone’s vault.
Taking their political views out of the conversation, and I think Beto and Tulsi are going to have the toughest time just based on their experience. They were both elected in 2012 to the US House of Reps, so that’s 6 years each in the federal government. Beto is 46 (but Clinton and Obama were elected at a similar age)... and Tulsi is 37. That is younger than Teddy Roosevelt and JFK when they each took office.

aw14

Taking their political views out of the conversation, and I think Beto and Tulsi are going to have the toughest time just based on their experience. They were both elected in 2012 to the US House of Reps, so that’s 6 years each in the federal government. Beto is 46 (but Clinton and Obama were elected at a similar age)... and Tulsi is 37. That is younger than Teddy Roosevelt and JFK when they each took office.
I think with Trump running with no political experience, they stand a better shot than in previous cycles.

I don’t see Tulsi as too serious for the lead of a ticket, but definitely as a VP potentially.

Willmark

I’m really not in disagreement per se. I don’t think age will matter either on the young side.

My point is the Dems are going to have a bruising fight in the primaries far more so then people are realizing. I think there’s an impression that the Dems are never going to split or its years down the road (not saying you). I think that it isn’t going to be anything like the 2016 primaries. Lincoln Chafee and Martin O’Malley were window dressing. Bernie threw a wrench in that. I think Bernie’s tin is going to accelerate that split.

2020 is going to magnify the Bernie effect if for no other reasons if that’s what do as Americans. There is no clear cut favorite and with with as many as 20 running there are going to be ****ed off supporters no matter who wins. In other words think of the Bernie Bro effect and how that may have effected the general. By and large the Never Trumpers weren’t as big of a factors but the Bernie and stay at home effect?

The TLDR? Factionalism is coming to the Democrats sooner rather than later. And this is someone who doesn’t vote for either of the two major parties if I can help it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom