2024 NASCAR

artvandelay

I found out that today is the last day of Jayski.com . ESPN decided to pull the plug on it after owned jayski since 2007. Jayski was around for 22 years. Jayski.com was a great place to find information on rumor mill stuff. I first know about Jayski back in the late 1990s.

As far as ESPN pulling the plug on it, it shouldn't be a shock. ESPN/ABC has been getting of Motorsport people. I think they have F1 and that is it for motorsports.

I know the former owners still were involved with the site after it was bought in 2007, but ESPN has the right to close it down.
They also let Ricky Craven go last weekend.

wdwfan4ver

I'm doing 2019 NASCAR predictions. I'm starting with the organizations. It is going to take multiple days for doing all the teams.

RCR
Team might be a little better due to some tracks having the draft/plate style package such as Las Vegas.
Austin Dillon is going to make in the chase. Based on Las Vegas testing, I think the new package for some of the tracks actually caters to Austin Dillon. What is going to hurt Austin is his poor road course skills. I wouldn't be shocked if he pulls off a win or two. The Las Vegas package has the Charlotte All-star race package. The nature of that package is its going to be hard to pass, but it

Daniel Hemric is going to be solid at RCR, but it depends on the rule package. I don't expect him make to the chase.

Germain Racing
Single Car team with Ty Dillon is going to struggle again, but some tracks having the drafting Package could give this team more top 20s.

Star Com Racing
Very unlikely to be top 30 in points despite having RCR engine support. I know the team also did make improvement for their shop. The catch is you are likely dealing with very old cars with new engines and this still a very young cup organization with it being less than 2 years old at the start of the season.

I think they have a part time 2nd time. What would be a highlight for this organization is getting 4 or 5 top 20s.

Landon Cassill is the only full time driver.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

This was NASCAR news today. NASCAR announced race winners that don't pass inspection after the race will be recorded with a last place finish unless the 2nd place car flunks post-race inspection too.

NASCAR said postrace inspection will now take place at the track, not at Research and Development Center.

NASCAR didn't say how many cars they will inspect and that is concern because of what happened at Texas Last last year in the fall. All 3 cars picked for post-race inspection failed after the 2nd Texas Motor speedway cup race of the year.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
This was NASCAR news today. NASCAR announced race winners that don't pass inspection after the race will be recorded with a last place finish unless the 2nd place car flunks post-race inspection too.

NASCAR said postrace inspection will now take place at the track, not at Research and Development Center.

NASCAR didn't say how many cars they will inspect and that is concern because of what happened at Texas Last last year in the fall. All 3 cars picked for post-race inspection failed after the 2nd Texas Motor speedway cup race of the year.

Those are some big changes coming. This should be interesting . . .

wdwfan4ver

Here is more predictions:

Hendrick Motorsports
I think the organization has to answer questions after last year. They were off for most of the 1.5 mile races last years. The catch is NASCAR different rule packages on 1.5 mile tracks. Hendrick has question marks in Jimmie Johnson, Alex Bowman, and William Byron.

I think this year is make it or break it for Jimmie Johnson. Jimmie is going to be 44 in September and is coming off 2 back to back off years. Since Jimmie has a different crew chief, I think the question is going to be how much Jimmie has left in the tank. I know Jimmie looked great at the Las Vegas test under the drafting package. I think Jimmie is going to make the chase, but he is not the driver as he once was. NASCAR has multiple different packages this year, but I think the draft package for some of the tracks does help Jimmie, but not as much compare to other NASCAR drivers that I didn't mention yet.

William Byron does have Chad Knaus as his new crew chief, but there are 2 questions there starting with is Chad behind the times as a crew chief. Crew Chiefs do fall behind the times in the past like William Byron's old crew chief did. William's old crew chief was already behind the times for race setups before he got William. The other question is on William Byron himself because he was rushed in to cup last year. I think William is going to improve some, but he's not going to make the chase.

Chase Elliott is going to make the chase. The catch is I don't know if the draft will play into his hands as much as a Brad Keselowski or Joey Logano and a couple other drivers. I can see Chase making the 3rd round of the Chase.

Alex Bowman is questionable to me due to rule package changes for making the chase and can he improve for last season. The drafting rule package for Las Vegas and some other tracks actually played more into his predecessor's hands more than it does for Alex.

wdwfan4ver

Those are some big changes coming. This should be interesting . . .
There were some rule changes that got overlooked by the media. What I am referring to is how NASCAR is handling Pre-race inspection penalties and NASCAR having officials dedicated to each national series garage.

In the past, there was no officials dedicated to each national series garage. How NASCAR is handling it is by 12 officials dedicated to the Cup garage, 10 dedicated to the Xfinity garage and eight dedicated to the Truck garage. There also would be other officials will move from one series garage to another to support those dedicated officials. What I get is NASCAR wants to keep up with the teams if the teams are trying to pull a fast one.

While the failing pre-race inspection twice gets crew member ejected and teams 15 less minutes of practice for the next event, this is minor compare to failing pre-race inspection 3 or 4 times.

If a car fails pre-race inspections 3 times, crew members gets injected, gets 15 less minutes of practice for the next race, and driver has to do drive through penalty at the start of the race. That means if a car fails pre-race inspection 3 times at Martinsville, that team is going to be over a lap down on lap 2 of the race.

If a car fails inspection 4 times, it would be classified as L1 Penalty. That penalty would would be reduction of 10-40 owner and driver points, and/or suspension of a crew chief or team member for one to three races and/or a fine between $25,000 – $75,000.

wdwfan4ver

DC Solar files for Bankruptcy due to FBI raids. Here is what DC Solar owes from a money standpoint in NASCAR according to Yahoo.com:
Chip Ganaasi Racing - 4.3 million dollars
International Speedway Corp (Race track company founded by France Family)- $1,025,000
Kansas Speedway – $750,000
ISM Raceway(formerly known as Phoenix Raceway) – $750,000
Richmond Raceway – $750,000
Talladega Superspeedway – $750,000

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I think this year is make it or break it for Jimmie Johnson. Jimmie is going to be 44 in September and is coming off 2 back to back off years. Since Jimmie has a different crew chief, I think the question is going to be how much Jimmie has left in the tank. I know Jimmie looked great at the Las Vegas test under the drafting package. I think Jimmie is going to make the chase, but he is not the driver as he once was. NASCAR has multiple different packages this year, but I think the draft package for some of the tracks does help Jimmie, but not as much compare to other NASCAR drivers that I didn't mention yet.

Don't write him off just yet. ;) Let's see how things go with a new crew chief. Also, I can't get it out of my head about the age thing--remember, Mark Martin had more or less retired in 2014, and I think that made him approx. in his mid-fifties. Jimmie is only 44 -- still a kid! :)

wdwfan4ver

Chip Ganassi racing
I don't know what to expect. The problem is NASCAR has different rule packages depending the track. There are tracks that Kyle Larson is good at, but has a drafting package. Kyle Larson is not known for his drafting ability. I think Kyle makes the chase, but only into the 2nd round.

Kurt Busch is a talented driver, but there are two question marks. How much of Jamie's disappointed season last year was not on him and there is rumors about this being Kurt's last year as a cup. If it is Kurt's last, there is a question mark of it being a distraction in the later part the season. I am iffy on Kurt winning a race due to his crew chief went to the chase in multiple years with Jamie, but never got a win. I would be shocked if Kurt makes it to round 2 or three

Spires Motorsports
Don't expect this team to make it in the top 30 of owners points. I think the team didn't announced all the drivers or the crew chief yet. The only drivers known is Jamie Mcmurray and Quinn Houff. Quinn is very raw to say the least.

A Highlight for this brand new team is finish in the top 20 in a single race outside of the Daytona 500. They have Chip Ganassi Racing Support for Daytona 500, so getting a top 10 is possible since Jamie is known for restrictor plate ability.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

There is more NASCAR news. Kevin Harvick is expanding his broadcast work this year on Fox. Kevin will start Alternating with Michael Waltrip as Main Analyst for Xfinity races that Fox has.

I'm happy about this announcement. Kevin is a good Xfinity series Analyst and he's better than Michael Waltrip.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
There is more NASCAR news. Kevin Harvick is expanding his broadcast work this year. Kevin will start Alternating with Michael Waltrip as Main Analyst for Xfinity races.

I'm happy about this announcement. Kevin is a good Xfinity series Analyst and he's better than Michael Waltrip.

I'm in favor of this, too. I like Kevin and am looking forward to seeing how he handles the broadcast work aspect of his career. Perhaps he'll eventually follow in the footsteps of Jeff Gordon--from a full-time race car driver, to full-time sports announcer. :)

wdwfan4ver

Joe Gibbs Racing

This a team to keep an eye for multiple reasons. NASCAR's inspection rules giving out harsher penalties could hurt this organization considering Cole Pearn has been caught in the past multiple time bending rules. There is a question mark on Hamlin going into this season due Christopher Bell being ready to be a cup driver. There also needs to be a keep on eye on how Truex adjusts to JGR after being on a single car team for 5 seasons.

Kyle Busch is going to the chase, but the question is the drafting package NASCAR has for some of the race tracks. Kyle Busch is not known for his drafting abilities despite his 2 cup points wins at Daytona and Talladega. The draft Package is going to affect multiple tracks outside Daytona and Talladega. The thing going for Kyle is NASCAR has NASCAR has 4 different race packages in cup with the package being determine by what track they are at.

Martin Truex is an update from Daniel Suarez from racing ability standpoint and he'll be making the chase. This might be the year truex gets a short track win. Truex might be a disadvantage though due to drafting rule package for 16 cup points races this year due to him not having a plate win and how aggressive his crew chief is going to be since, he has been caught a good amount bending rules in recent years.

Denny Hamlin enters this season with question marks including having a new crew chief with it a possibility that he'll be replaced by Christopher Bell after this season. Denny could have a win or 2. The drafting package could help Denny since he has won plate races before. I do think Denny is going to make the chase.

Erik Jones is going to be interesting due to the progress he made last year. It is possible that he'll win a race or two.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

JTG Daugherty Racing

There shouldn't be high expectations here. Where JTG Daugherty now has Hendrick engines instead of RCR engines, I am not big their driver line up at all. Organization hasn't been the same since they because a 2 car team due to resources and stress on sponsor money. The only thing they have is Hendrick cars and Hendrick engines. The catch is back when Gene Hass was the sole owner of his organization before Stewart, Hass had full blown Hendrick Equipment, but the organization sucked.

Chris Buescher has been outperformed by Aj Allmendinger, but Chris is still staying with the organization. Chris is not making the chase. Chris as a driver never is the aggressive type of a driver and you need a aggressive type driver with this team. Chris also regressed last season in amount of top 10s. The only thing is Chris has the advantage of the drafting package for some of the race, although I think Aj did better with that package at the all star race last year. Chris is a 20 to top 25 points driver

Ryan Preece is a rookie driver, but I don't expect him in the chase. Ryan was a good Xfinity series driver, but the organization is not chase ready. He could get 3 to 6 top 10's.

Leavine Family Racing
Best single car cup operation of 2019.

Matt DiBenedetto is going to have his best cup season to date, but I think the expectation are going to be way too high due the 95 getting JGR Support and Denny's old crew chief. This team is going to have anywhere from 5 top 10's to 10 top 5's. This organization has the potential to battle for the final chase spot. If they make it, I don't expect to be in the chase after the first round.

Richard Petty Motorsports
I don't like this organization going to the season. I question if this race organization makes after the 2019 season due to Sponsor issues and the fact the crew chief left the organization left in late January for Front Row Motorsports concerns me a lot despite the crew chief is from within the organization.

Darrell Wallace Jr. is not going to have a pretty year, but not all is lost. NASCAR having a Drafting package actually helps out Darrell out some. The 43 car is going to be anywhere from a 22 to 29th place in points. Darrell might get 2 to 5 top 10s this year.

wdwfan4ver

Wood Bros
Paul Menard could be a top 20 in points although I think Matt DiBenedetto is going to have more top 10s and higher in points. The only catch is Wood Bros being a Ford team. Ford has a new car for this season

The drafting package is going to be a wild card for Paul. Paul is a good drafter in his cup career.

Penske
The Draft rule package actually play into the hands of Penske a lot. Logano and Brad are known for the drafting abilities. The question mark is the new race car Ford has for this season.

I wouldn't be shocked if Brad makes it to the 3rd or the 4th round of the chase. The drafting package for some of the races is in Brad's wheelhouse as a drive. Brad is considered one the best at drafting NASCAR history. He's up there with Dale Sr., Dale Jr, and Jeff Gordon for drafting capabilities. While Jimmie has the Daytona 500 wins, Brad actually is better at it. The only question about the drafting package is if it takes out one of brad's strength's as a cup driver fuel mileage.

Brad might be a 3 to 6 cup wins this season depending if Ford's new race car doesn't have the same problems as Chevy had last year. The only question if Brad is going to be distracted in his new start up business if any problems happen for some odd reason.

Joey Logano is going to face pressure of being a cup champion for the first time ever and Ford's new race car being an unknown is not going to help Joey. What I said about Brad about drafting is very similar with Logano. The catch I think Brad is better at it than Joey. Joey should be a 3rd or 4th round driver. I think Joey is 2 to 4 cup win driver this year

Ryan Blaney has a lot of raw speed, but I don't know the rule packages are going to affect him. I see Ryan as a 2 or a 3rd round of a chase driver with 1 or 2 cup wins.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Front Row Motorsports
This is a team already has to deal with a new Ford race car for this year besides being an underfunded team, but they made a bad move moving a crew chief into a managerial position and adding a rookie driver to a new third team.

The problem is without a chase, these two teams would've had their best points finishes ever and it is possible that having a third team is going to hurt the teams resources.

My problem with that is the owners need to realize they are are underfunded team with not the best equipment around. Drew Blickensderfer is a bad hire for them after he left Petty. The big mystery is why he does keeps getting crew chief gigs in the cup series.

Drew is known to make drivers worse than they are based on his track record:jawdrop:. Out of anything, Richard Petty Motorsports might become a better team now. know Drew is good at restrictor plate setups, but nothing else. The problem with him in 2019 is Restrictor plates are gone after the Daytona 500. What NASCAR is did is creating a drafting package without restrictor plates that means Drew could be affected.

He made Matt Kenseth in his prime worse than he actually was. He made Jeff Burton into a driver that has is good at plate tracks, but almost useless outside of that. Jeff Burton in 2013 proved he was past his prime, but got all his 6 top 10's at tracks that were not Restrictor plate tracks unlike what he did with Drew. He also make Almirola, and Ambrose worse than they were. Just be happy that he doesn't work with Harvick, or Kyle Busch because he'll find a way to make them not make the chase or just make the first round of the chase.

Matt Tifft is Front Row's rookie driver, but the truth is he's not a good prospect. He underachieved with Joe Gibbs Racing in the Xfinity series. With RCR, Matt had 19 top 10's but only 6 top 5's. The major concern is NASCAR's drafting package for him because he could be tearing up a lot of race cars for a race team that is already underfunded.

Michael Mcdowell is underrated as a driver. He really improved since his rushed Michael Waltrip Racing cup days. The problem is he has Drew Blickensderfer as a crew chief:arghh:. Having a new drafting package may not hurt Drew, but don't expect Mcdowell to get 3 to 6 top 10s under drafting package.

David Ragan could improve this year from being 25th in points. My reasoning is NASCAR has new drafting package for some cup races without restrictor plates and David actually is a pretty good at drafting. It is possible that David could give Front Row Racing their highest amount of top 10's in a season ever due to Nascar's drafting package. I think David could pull off 3 to 6 top 10's this season under the drafting package.

wdwfan4ver

Stewart - Haas Racing
I think the organization could be closer to 2017 than 2018 since Daniel Suarez appears to be a downgrade from Kurt Busch unless Daniel pulls a Logano, Ford having a new car, and NASCAR's different different packages this coming season.

Aric Almirola is going to benefit from NASCAR's drafting rule package since he is very good at drafting. Aric could make it to the 3rd round and have anywhere from 2 to 4 cup wins.

Kevin Harvick is not going to win as many races this year. While Kevin is a good drafter and Daytona and Telladega races, there are better drivers at drafting. The 2nd problem for Kevin is how his crew chief going to react toward NASCAR taking away cup wins from flunking post-race inspection. The other thing is Kevin was affected in 2017 to a point due to adjusting to Ford and it makes me wonder how Kevin will do with Ford's new race. I think Kevin is good 3 to 5 cup wins this season and expect him in the final 4.

Daniel Suarez is a driver I don't expect in the chase. While Daniel was a Xfinity series champion, he was not the flashy type. Daniel is 8 to 13 top top's this season type of a driver. The problem is JGR got a rid of Daniel due to performance considering how the Equipment is at JGR last year. Daniel was the worse of 4 JGR drivers. I have a hard time seeing Daniel improving unless there was a problem behind closed doors at JGR like there was for Logano.

Clint Bowyer is a wild card to me. Clint can be good at drafting and him winning a race under a drafting package for places like Las Vegas can't be rule out. Clint is good for 1 or 2 wins this year and might make to the 3rd round.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Roush Fenway Racing
There is a lot of questions with this organization going into this season besides how Roush is going to handle Ford's new race car. This organization had a bad year with the 6 car and the organization got worse from 2017 to 2018.

Ryan Newman is an upgrade from Trever Bayne in talent wise,but I don't see making the chase. The team isn't strong and the way Newman usually wins is by Fuel Mileage, staying out under caution or take less tires than the competition. I think the 6 team is a work in progress. I am not big on Ryan on drafting tracks and that going to be a problem this year due to the rule package NASCAR has for some of the tracks. While Ryan won the Daytona 500 in 2007, drafting is not his specialty. I think Ryan is going to be 5 to 10 top 10's this year.

Ricky Stenhouse Jr. is a hit or miss for drafting since a good amount of tracks under one NASCAR's rule packages has drafting for some tracks. The short tracks not having drafting race packages is a plus for Ricky at Bristol. Bristol is Ricky's best non-drafting track. I think Ricky is a anywhere from 5 to 10 top 10's this season.

Go Fas Racing
Expectations are very low for this organization. This a underfunded ford team with Corey Lajoe as a driver.

This team had Matt DiBenedetto last year and Corey is a step down. This team could pull off 3 to 7 top 20s this year due NASCAR wanting drafting to play a bigger role more tracks such as Las Vegas.

Premium Motorsports
Expectations are low. While they have Ross Chastain as a cup driver, Ross is focused on getting Xfinity series points. Ross somehow got a Xfinity series ride late in the off season after the DC Solar mess. Premium Motorsports is focused on getting the owners Championship, but I have a hard time see them make the top 30 in points unless they get a lot of luck in the races that NASCAR picked for using last years All-star Race package for. They might pull off 2 to 6 top 20s.

I know the team has Casey Mears in the 27, but seems to be Daytona 500 only deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom