Trip Report 2019 "It's Been a Long, Long Time" Trip Report *COMPLETED*

My husband and I just got back from our week at WDW yesterday and I will be starting this trip report soon. To give everyone a reminder, we were there from April 27th to May 4th and were doing a split stay at three resorts - Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, and AKL Kidani Village. Also, every trip we hear one song more often than any other, which becomes our theme song for the trip, which strangely usually also coincides with something that happened in our trip - and this year was no different. I'll explain the title of this report in a later installment. I do have to say that I have mixed feelings about WDW after this trip and I'm not totally sure I can put those feelings into words. I still LOVE the resort and can't wait to go back but there was something different this trip that I can't quite figure out. We were focusing less on the parks and more on the resorts and other experiences so may be that had something to do with it. I'll try to explain during future entries. I did write my thoughts in a journal this time so that I didn't forget the small details. Did we accomplish everything we wanted to do and see? Was there any family drama this year? Stay tuned :)

ELeigh

Really enjoyed your trip report and hope you can convince R to go on the cruise next time around I'm sure you guys would have a good time!
Also, sorry for your loss that must be scary with your gallbladder issues, I hope that you will feel better soon.

LeighM

Original Poster
Really enjoyed your trip report and hope you can convince R to go on the cruise next time around I'm sure you guys would have a good time!
Also, sorry for your loss that must be scary with your gallbladder issues, I hope that you will feel better soon.

Funny that you should mention the cruise because we're considering cancelling the cruise and putting that cost into DVC LOL.

Songbird76

With our room ready text, we stopped by bell services to get our luggage and to see whether my bag had been delivered by CSR. They didn't have it yet but thought it should be there within a couple of hours.

We made our way to our room

View attachment 371782

I don't like their only being one sink. We are used to two sinks at the moderates and it really helps with getting ready.

View attachment 371774

But I did love the toilet being in its own room away from the shower! But it felt like so much extra space LOL. I feel like there needs to be some kind of decor on the wall :)

View attachment 371775

Couple of complaints about the room. I did not like there not being 2 bedside tables with a place to charge our phones. This became an issue that night when we had our phones (and alarm) on the table under the TV. We didn't know what time it was because we kept waking up thinking we would over sleep. Also, notice the little bottles next to the bathroom sink? That's all we had in our room. Maybe it's different because we were in a DVC resort? But couldn't help but compare to what we received at Coronado Springs

View attachment 371781

The box behind the mouth wash is a vanity kit that has small things like a nail file, etc.

But we weren't at AKL for the room, we were there for the view! And what savanna room did we get?

View attachment 371777

Across from the loud construction :mad: I did go down to see if any other rooms were available since this was our only day there and I didn't want it ruined by extremely loud work. There was another family there before me so I created a line behind them. I was the next person in line with a woman, with a very obvious sense of entitlement walked up to the desk and stood there. When the next CM was free, she looked at me so I would know that she was ready for me. This woman walked up, cut in front of me, and proceeded to tell the CM a long list of complaints. The CM looked at me like what should she do so I just waved my hands and let her know I wasn't stressing over it.

The CM got on the phone to find out. There was one available but it had a less desirable savanna view. So that person got on the phone with the project manager to find out when the work was expected to end with it being a Friday in Florida. She was told they would be ending around 5PM. Since it was already 4, I decided to stay in the room since it was very close to the lobby and had a great view. I told her that I didn't mind the sight of the cranes just the noise. With the noise gone, I probably wouldn't even notice the cranes. Oh! She also went into the back to make a copy of some African vocabulary used around the resort since R was interested in learning new words. So I surprised him with that when I got back into the room

Here are some other pictures of the view.

View attachment 371766

View attachment 371767

The noise was really getting to me though so we decided to change into our bathing suits and go to the pool. The love bugs were such an irritation but luckily that hadn't gotten as bad as I saw them better after we checked out. I enjoyed the hot tub for a spell and I finally made R get off the lounge chair and join me. He said it was too hot so we got into the pool and just sat in the zero entry. I was determined we wouldn't miss this pool slide so I dragged him up the stairs. And we had so much fun!! So we did that a few times. The slide goes a lot faster than you think.

Eventually we started to get hungry so we went back to the resort. R went to the room to get ready and I went to the front desk to check on the status of the bag. It wasn't there so some calls were made. Turns out, the runner was outside of our room knocking but couldn't go in because we had do not disturb on the door. I told the CM that my husband was on his way there so he would get it. I got to room and got ready for dinner that I wanted at The Mara. But first, I exchanged the shirt while we had time and the gift shop was open.

We made our way to the Mara. I was going to be healthy and get the falafel bites but I was too hungry for that (because someone ate half my lunch) so I got the potjie instead since it was protein heavy and would be filling since I knew I wouldn't be eating anything substantial until after our flight landed back home. R got another flat bread option.

View attachment 371780

Mine was sooo good and R agreed when he tasted it. I had eaten half of mine when I saw him slowing down with his and eyeing mine. So I was nice and asked if he wanted to switch and finish mine. And without hesitation, he switched our plates. Seriously?!!! I wasn't really serious with the offer, thinking there was no way he would want it. He cleaned the dang plate. So I got stuck with the boring flat bread LOL. Lesson learned. Never offer food unless you're prepared to say goodbye to it!

It was now dusk and I wanted to have time on the balcony to enjoy the view before it got too dark to see anything. So I got the kudu cookie sandwich (I think it was called) to take back to the room with me. I ate most of it before remembering to take a picture. I loved this - it was sweet without being too sweet.

View attachment 371768

The animals were more active now than they were earlier. I see now why they call it the sunset savanna!!

View attachment 371769

Once it got dark, we went out to the overlook so we could use the night time vision goggles. They only had a few out so we had to wait our turn but it was a nice experience. It was getting late and we still had to get ready for bed for a very early wake up at 4:15AM so we could be at the ME bus stop at 4:45AM. I don't think this thing at all. The hubby agreed, no more early morning flights LOL. We aren't morning people like that.

Up next - departure day and final thoughts
You remind me of Gilmore Girls. Rory keeps asking Dean how his pancakes are...if they are good, or really good, or great. Finally Dean says "Would you perhaps like to trade breakfasts?" And Rory acts like he's the one who wants to trade. "Um...ok...." 😄

LeighM

Original Poster
You remind me of Gilmore Girls. Rory keeps asking Dean how his pancakes are...if they are good, or really good, or great. Finally Dean says "Would you perhaps like to trade breakfasts?" And Rory acts like he's the one who wants to trade. "Um...ok...." 😄

I really don't like sharing food when it's good LOL. Unfortunately, R isn't happy with his food once he realizes mine is better :) Next trip, I'm just going to order him the same thing I'm getting :joyfull:

Minnesota disney fan

Following along and enjoying your trip report!
I, too, have been hit so many times by those huge backpacks that I think I must have a sign on me that says, "Please feel free to hit me with your giant backpacks!" Why are people taking with them to a park? It looks like they pack enough for a trip to the mountains for a week!!! Just one of my pet peeves. I know how you feel about them. I make the same remarks about scantily dressed people at Disney, but they are amusing. Rude people, yep they are there. But I try to just ignore them and go on. It's hard to do though!!! At the end of our stay, I've had enough of all the above, but still find lots to love about Disney:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom