2020-Gaming discussion

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
A new AMD Navi gpu leak that shows a 17% improvement over a RTX 2080ti in VR? Thats a pretty serious statement.

Man has AMD turned the corner since Bulldozer, Lisa Su turned that sinking ship around.

Mike S

It’s freaking incredible how much Blizzard and Bethesda have fallen from grace so quickly. Warcraft 3 Reforged makes me laugh so hard. It’s like these companies are now in competition with each other over who can get their most loyal fans the angriest. Looking back the whole 8th generation seemed to have this type of purging since BioWare also fell and others as well. Even GameFreak wasn’t immune!!! Technically though the Switch should be 9th gen since it’s the clear successor to both of Nintendo’s 8th gen machines.

PopCentury

It’s freaking incredible how much Blizzard and Bethesda have fallen from grace so quickly. Warcraft 3 Reforged makes me laugh so hard. It’s like these companies are now in competition with each other over who can get their most loyal fans the angriest. Looking back the whole 8th generation seemed to have this type of purging since BioWare also fell and others as well. Even GameFreak wasn’t immune!!! Technically though the Switch should be 9th gen since it’s the clear successor to both of Nintendo’s 8th gen machines.

I’d like to add Microsoft/The Coalition to this list because of Gears of War. This was my favorite franchise on the 360. I still play here and there but Gears 5 is terrible.

The_Jobu

It may take a while, but I think companies are slowly learning they cant pull the same crap they did in the 2010s and expect gamers to lap it up anymore.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster

smooch

Great watch, it is sad how much Blizzard has done to ruin their reputation. I started playing WoW late, right before WoD released, and then also played Overwatch, Hearthstone, and HoTS. My old family friend would play Warcraft 3 custom maps all the time, I never got into playing but would always watch him play and was super interested. Everything Blizzard has done recently, and I mean a lot, has piece by piece caused me to lose my respect for them as a company. I truly expect the bare minimum from them and then when they do this removal of classing Warcraft 3 and pushing Reforged it makes me realize we can't even expect the bare minimum. There was no reason for them to go removing the classic version of the game, they could have let the active fanbase continue to play but they have to push their new terrible copy of the game for profits at the cost of respect. It's truly sad what gaming has become, there are obviously still companies that create excellent games and have great reputations, but I feel it has become very common for studios to pull these kind of scummy tactics.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Great watch, it is sad how much Blizzard has done to ruin their reputation. I started playing WoW late, right before WoD released, and then also played Overwatch, Hearthstone, and HoTS. My old family friend would play Warcraft 3 custom maps all the time, I never got into playing but would always watch him play and was super interested. Everything Blizzard has done recently, and I mean a lot, has piece by piece caused me to lose my respect for them as a company. I truly expect the bare minimum from them and then when they do this removal of classing Warcraft 3 and pushing Reforged it makes me realize we can't even expect the bare minimum. There was no reason for them to go removing the classic version of the game, they could have let the active fanbase continue to play but they have to push their new terrible copy of the game for profits at the cost of respect. It's truly sad what gaming has become, there are obviously still companies that create excellent games and have great reputations, but I feel it has become very common for studios to pull these kind of scummy tactics.

I was the biggest Blizzard homer there was, they used to live the " Its not getting released until its done" motto and always delivered not only great games but they had the absolute best interaction with their fan base. That lasted through the release of Overwatch then the wheels fell off.

Bad.

The Activision bean counters have now gotten their teeth into Blizzard and they will never be the same, they will never be the "old" Blizzard anymore, not to mention most of the people who helped build that old Blizzard mentality are no longer with the company.

The only companies I'll trumpet now are Square-Enix, Nintendo and CD Projekt Red. Yes they all do some forms of games as service and micro transactions but those three still understand where their money comes from and how important it is to not insult your fans.

Mike S

I was the biggest Blizzard homer there was, they used to live the " Its not getting released until its done" motto and always delivered not only great games but they had the absolute best interaction with their fan base. That lasted through the release of Overwatch then the wheels fell off.

Bad.

The Activision bean counters have now gotten their teeth into Blizzard and they will never be the same, they will never be the "old" Blizzard anymore, not to mention most of the people who helped build that old Blizzard mentality are no longer with the company.

The only companies I'll trumpet now are Square-Enix, Nintendo and CD Projekt Red. Yes they all do some forms of games as service and micro transactions but those three still understand where their money comes from and how important it is to not insult your fans.
Dang not even Sony?

smooch

Bad.

I am a PC gamer and have a Switch and it has slowly become my most used device for games. I still play PC games but I just prefer Nintendo's library, I have played Nintendo games since I was a baby. CD PR is a very good company as well, always take their time to create true art, and Square-Enix also has really enjoyable games. But of all the companies, Nintendo is definitely my favorite. Always innovating consoles, great games, I love getting Nintendo Directs to look forward to, and the Switch is my ideal console. I am playing in docked mode on my computer monitor, this forum open on my side monitor, and am playing while browsing the forums and listening to music. Friends are coming over? Just switch my HDMI from my monitor to the TV above my desk, we can all play some Smash or Mario Party / Kart. Oh we're going out to get lunch and hang out? I throw my Switch in my case and head out, and we can all set up and play on one Switch or local connect to each other on our own Switches. I am also happy with the rate the library is currently growing at, and there are some fantastic games on the horizon (the New Horizons ;) ). The one thing I wish Nintendo would do is make it so we can order individual Joy Cons / make our own combinations. Obviously not in stores, stocking would be a nightmare, but online from Nintendo themselves. I believe they do it in Japan, why not take it overseas and start printing money? Me and my friends would at least buy one more Joy Con to mix / match with the sets we already have, like buy one left green for my Pink / Green pair to have a full green Switch.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
I am a PC gamer and have a Switch and it has slowly become my most used device for games. I still play PC games but I just prefer Nintendo's library, I have played Nintendo games since I was a baby. CD PR is a very good company as well, always take their time to create true art, and Square-Enix also has really enjoyable games. But of all the companies, Nintendo is definitely my favorite. Always innovating consoles, great games, I love getting Nintendo Directs to look forward to, and the Switch is my ideal console. I am playing in docked mode on my computer monitor, this forum open on my side monitor, and am playing while browsing the forums and listening to music. Friends are coming over? Just switch my HDMI from my monitor to the TV above my desk, we can all play some Smash or Mario Party / Kart. Oh we're going out to get lunch and hang out? I throw my Switch in my case and head out, and we can all set up and play on one Switch or local connect to each other on our own Switches. I am also happy with the rate the library is currently growing at, and there are some fantastic games on the horizon (the New Horizons ;) ). The one thing I wish Nintendo would do is make it so we can order individual Joy Cons / make our own combinations. Obviously not in stores, stocking would be a nightmare, but online from Nintendo themselves. I believe they do it in Japan, why not take it overseas and start printing money? Me and my friends would at least buy one more Joy Con to mix / match with the sets we already have, like buy one left green for my Pink / Green pair to have a full green Switch.

Nintendo for me brought back video games from the dead. I had original Atari 2600, Intelevision and Coleco Vision systems, and still do somewhere I think..., but the crash of 83 was real, those companies were producing terrible games and earned that crash, earned losing everything because they couldn't keep quality high. Nintendo changed that. While some of Nintendo's earliest games on the NES can make you cringe, over the years it became apparent to me personally when you bought a game by Nintendo themselves you knew you were getting something worth the money and something worth your time. I didn't buy all their games but I did get most of them. I did buy all their systems. And I always will.

Square-Enix. When a big game publisher like SE put out a crappy first version of Final Fantasy 14, realized the game was crap, took it offline and remade it right and then apologized for making such a bad game with the producer actually crying about it, I have to give props for that. Yes they published it bad but they fixed it and admitted it was bad, no one else to my knowledge in gaming has done that, they only one who comes close is EA over the lootboxes for Battlefront 2 but I don't think they ever actually said they were sorry their responses were swarmy.

CD PR makes great games, I have absolutely no issues paying for a season pass on top of a regular priced game if they keep the quality high and the content great. I thought Gwent was a turd until I learned to play it and it is pretty addicting. They also respond to fan questions better than most companies. I sent them a tweet about some charity work I was doing and they sent me 5 t-shirts, no other company responded to me. Does that make me impartial? Of course! But these guys are class.

I could also include Sega to but they are starting to really get into the micro transaction thing big time, they are borderline.

PopCentury

I am worried Nintendo might start having microtransactions in their console games in the future. Their mobile games are so microtransaction heavy. Hopefully, this just stays on their mobile games. They just announced a monthly pass for Fire Emblem Heroes that is about $10 a month. Mario Kart Tour has one as well.

Mike S

Nintendo for me brought back video games from the dead. I had original Atari 2600, Intelevision and Coleco Vision systems, and still do somewhere I think..., but the crash of 83 was real, those companies were producing terrible games and earned that crash, earned losing everything because they couldn't keep quality high. Nintendo changed that. While some of Nintendo's earliest games on the NES can make you cringe, over the years it became apparent to me personally when you bought a game by Nintendo themselves you knew you were getting something worth the money and something worth your time. I didn't buy all their games but I did get most of them. I did buy all their systems. And I always will.

Square-Enix. When a big game publisher like SE put out a crappy first version of Final Fantasy 14, realized the game was crap, took it offline and remade it right and then apologized for making such a bad game with the producer actually crying about it, I have to give props for that. Yes they published it bad but they fixed it and admitted it was bad, no one else to my knowledge in gaming has done that, they only one who comes close is EA over the lootboxes for Battlefront 2 but I don't think they ever actually said they were sorry their responses were swarmy.

CD PR makes great games, I have absolutely no issues paying for a season pass on top of a regular priced game if they keep the quality high and the content great. I thought Gwent was a turd until I learned to play it and it is pretty addicting. They also respond to fan questions better than most companies. I sent them a tweet about some charity work I was doing and they sent me 5 t-shirts, no other company responded to me. Does that make me impartial? Of course! But these guys are class.

I could also include Sega to but they are starting to really get into the micro transaction thing big time, they are borderline.
CDPR’s commitment to quality shows even further when they made sure Witcher 3 on Switch was all contained in the cartridge with no additional big downloads required showing up most other devs and publishers.
I am worried Nintendo might start having microtransactions in their console games in the future. Their mobile games are so microtransaction heavy. Hopefully, this just stays on their mobile games. They just announced a monthly pass for Fire Emblem Heroes that is about $10 a month. Mario Kart Tour has one as well.
Sadly people are conditioned to think mobile games need to be like this. Nintendo tried a different approach with the one time purchase for Mario Run but didn’t find as much success. Sadly it’s the nature of the beast which is why real gamers ignore that market entirely. It’s too far gone.

smooch

I'm pretty young so I wasn't even close to being alive back then, but with my experience Nintendo has always been my family's console of choice. When me and my brothers were really young, my dad bought us all an N64 (this was around 2004ish so after the GameCube had already been out for a little, we didn't have a lot of money) and we would play all day and we had games from other developers but every single Nintendo game we ended up buying we loved. When my family started making more money we got Gameboy Advances eventually and Nintendo DS's (idk how to write the plural of DS I know there shouldn't be an apostrophe) and those truly cemented my love of Nintendo. We got a Wii for my twin brother and I's birthday as a shared gift and that thing is probably the most used console our house has ever had because everyone could get into it, even my parents. I never got a WiiU as much as I wanted one, and I'm not really sure why. Probably cause I was in high school at an age nobody would hire me for a job so I didn't have much spending money, but I got the Switch at Christmas the first year it was out while I was saving up for one and it has been easily my most used Nintendo console, but a huge chunk of that is that I finally have my own console to play Smash on and not my 3DS version or having to go to my friend's houses to play. I'm really really interested to see what Nintendo does for their next console, when they're finally gonna jump ship off upgrading Switches, like how they had the New 3DS XL where certain games could only be played on the New 3DS XL and not the standards 3DS XL due to the hardware upgrade. I am sure that is many years down the road though, so we will have plenty of time to enjoy this incredible console.

I bought a Switch from a friend recently and haven't played it as much as I want due to not having enough time in the day between work and streaming, I did however beat the MARVEL game on there a few months back.

PopCentury

I played the demo of this when it was on the Wii U and now Ill be getting it for Switch when it comes out.

I tried the demo on the Wii U also but had a mixed reaction. I am tempted to get it on the switch and give it a real chance. A lot of people say it’s a underrated gem from the Wii U.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I am having another severe WoW addiction atm, but doing older content as there is just so much to do

erasure fan1

I’d like to add Microsoft/The Coalition to this list because of Gears of War. This was my favorite franchise on the 360. I still play here and there but Gears 5 is terrible.
Was it the multiplayer? I didn't play too much of that but I thought the story single player stuff was on point. The gunplay was solid and I really enjoyed the sorta open world sections.
I was a sega fan boy since I bought the sega master system over the NES. It was lightyears ahead of nintendo. I to this day have every sega system hooked up and playable. But man have they been just mediocre to poor for a while now.

PopCentury

Was it the multiplayer? I didn't play too much of that but I thought the story single player stuff was on point. The gunplay was solid and I really enjoyed the sorta open world sections.

Yea, I am talking about the multiplayer side. The single player experience is the best part of the game. IMO it is better than Gears 4 campaign. The only parts of the single player I didn’t like was the ending and how the story played out. I feel like both of those are personal preferences. I’ve played all the gears titles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom