2020-Gaming discussion

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That sounds pretty cool. Got pictures of your office to share? I’d understand if you’d prefer not to. I’m guessing there’s a bunch of Star Wars stuff too.
I only have one on my phone at the moment. I will try and remember to snap a few more tonight.

I had a couple of shelves with collectibles on them, but the room theme stayed pretty strict to the Portal theme all the way down to my PC.

Attachments

• portal room.jpg
    portal room.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 44

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
VR game weeee (no not really) just give the majority of people what they want as in a new HL and stop dicking about with these stupid side projects that only a minority of people will get to play. And no Valve putting a HL game on VR wont make loads of people rush out to buy a Valve VR headset either just so they can play it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
VR game weeee (no not really) just give the majority of people what they want as in a new HL and stop dicking about with these stupid side projects that only a minority of people will get to play. And no Valve putting a HL game on VR wont make loads of people rush out to buy a Valve VR headset either just so they can play it.
It will no doubt make a few fence sitters pull the trigger, but I have a feeling that number will be quite small especially if it is exclusive to Valve's hardware.

Now if they make a traditional FPS available on pretty much any platform I will pre-order the highest dollar version in a second.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well, Valve is adding to the Half Life universe, but it is a prequel and, as expected, is VR only.

I guess I will have to wait and see what its performance is like on an Occulus Quest as there is no way I am investing the cash into a Valve Index setup.

smooch

It's been many years since I got really into a video game, or rather even played a game. Recently got an Oculus Quest and have gotten hooked on a few games. Anyone else here have an Oculus?

I bought an Oculus Rift S a few months ago and have been loving it. I got an S cause I have a gaming rig and didn't plan on using it anywhere but my house so no need for a Quest and I have enjoyed it very much. Beat Saber is my absolute favorite game followed by the Vader Immortal series. When I first got it I expected to till feel like I knew I was in a game when I played but the first Oculus experience with the robot had me so immersed. It was so disorienting taking the headset off for the first time and being back in my room. Sometimes I'll use Bigroom VR or whatever it is called to use my desktop in a home theater environment to watch Netflix / Disney Plus / etc. while sitting in my chair and I genuinely can't believe how amazingly close it feels to be sitting in a theater watching a movie. I have had much more fun with it than I anticipated.

Mike S

Well, Valve is adding to the Half Life universe, but it is a prequel and, as expected, is VR only.

I guess I will have to wait and see what its performance is like on an Occulus Quest as there is no way I am investing the cash into a Valve Index setup.

Idk much about the series but it seems to look good for fans minus the whole VR thing.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
So about 90% of the fan base then. Valve has obv fallen out of love with money it seems as they only seem to want to cater to a very small section of gamers

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I did see that it’s compatible with a wide variety including cheap ones. I guess they knew it’d be stupid to make it exclusive to theirs.
True, but it is still a fairly high cost of entry for a single game done using a technology I am not all that interested in.

With my current setup, my best hope is that my older gaming rig could run it with an Oculus Quest, but that would at minimum require a video card upgrade as the Quest does not support AMD Video cards.

Since MS is in no hurry to do a VR headset for the Xbox until they will work wirelessly, it is quite likely that I will be watching let's play videos of this title.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I wouldn't be surprised to see a non VR version of it to come out at some point.
They are quite adamant that there will not be. They claim that it was explicitly designed for VR and it will not work with a controller or mouse+keyboard.

We shall see what the mod community does with it.

Mike S

True, but it is still a fairly high cost of entry for a single game done using a technology I am not all that interested in.

With my current setup, my best hope is that my older gaming rig could run it with an Oculus Quest, but that would at minimum require a video card upgrade as the Quest does not support AMD Video cards.

Since MS is in no hurry to do a VR headset for the Xbox until they will work wirelessly, it is quite likely that I will be watching let's play videos of this title.
Not a bad way to go. I’ve done that for quite a few games.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
HUGE sale on EVGA B-stock pc components going on right now. GTX 970's for $50, water cooled GTX 1070 ti's for $150, GTX 1080's for $150 and GTX 1080 ti's for $300.Titan's for under $200, AIO coolers for under $80. These will not last long so if you need a new graphics card get them now.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
HUGE sale on EVGA B-stock pc components going on right now. GTX 970's for $50, water cooled GTX 1070 ti's for $150, GTX 1080's for $150 and GTX 1080 ti's for $300.Titan's for under $200, AIO coolers for under $80. These will not last long so if you need a new graphics card get them now.
Is this direct from EVGA?

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Is this direct from EVGA?

Yes with a one year warranty which is the best in the business. If the component fails in the year and they cannot fix or get you the same part EVGA will give you something comparable with their current tech, so if you get a GTX 1080 ti for example and it dies and they can't fix it and don't have another of the same exact card they will give you a RTX 2080 since that would be the card that is around the same.

Sadly everything I said they had on sale is long gone by now. Every Wednsday they have huge deals on b-stock components but you have to move quick I believe it updates at around 5am CDT.

I didnt see it on evga bstock site. I would try sli a 1070 for that price

I wouldn't SLI Pascal there really is no benefit if you're gaming. They do have on the B-stock a FTW GTX 1080 ti for $500 which is still the third best card you can buy.

Last edited:

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Also of note, just about all the bigger graphics card and components makers are having real good discounts on refurbished products right now with Black Friday looming. Unless its EVGA, who make great products, I avoid refurbished because none of the other vendors have that warranty EVGA does, they are usually 30-90 days.

You can find great deals if you want to take a chance, Zotac had an Artic Storm RTX 2080 ti for $713.00 which is insane, but I think they only have a 90 warranty and thats just too much money to leave to chance for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom