2018 World Cup

21stamps

Original Poster
IMG_5310.PNG

Here we GO!!!!!

I'm so sick about the U.S.A. Still in shock over it. Just mind boggling. So sad :(

...but ARGENTINA!!!!

For the first time ever., myself and my child will be rooting for different teams. That's going to be strange, but fun. I can't force him to be a Messi fan apparently.lol
Last World Cup we hung up flags for all of the countries, and took one down as they were eliminated.
I think I may start that up now with who is in, and add as we go along.

I. Am. Stoked!!!

Anyone have any guesses at this point?
Is your team already qualified?

21stamps

Original Poster
Kiddo received a bracket poster for his bday yesterday. I’m going to see if I can buy a glassless frame so we can hang up, we’re excited to fill it in!
He also received the book and two pack of players cards..wish us luck on not ordering duplicates! ;)

We’re ready to go!!!!

21stamps

Original Poster
Oh, one other thing.. we were at a soccer store last week looking at all of the World Cup gear. They had USA stuff as well, T says “Ugh, don’t get me ANY USA stuff for my birthday. They don’t deserve to have gear. Why are stores even selling it?”

Good question kiddo. I can’t answer that. Anyone here know?

Sir_Cliff

I'm really not a sports person, but I always get sucked into the World Cup! There's something about this competition between different nations and the fact that soccer is a sport with such tension and drama that always gets me in despite my best efforts. The fact I'm a Latin America enthusiast also probably makes a big difference!

Very happy to see Peru back in, even if they didn't win yesterday. Today, though, Mexico - Germany was awesome! So happy to see Mexico win, and to hear the festivities back in Mexico City were registered on seismic activity monitors!

21stamps

Original Poster
I'm really not a sports person, but I always get sucked into the World Cup! There's something about this competition between different nations and the fact that soccer is a sport with such tension and drama that always gets me in despite my best efforts. The fact I'm a Latin America enthusiast also probably makes a big difference!

Very happy to see Peru back in, even if they didn't win yesterday. Today, though, Mexico - Germany was awesome! So happy to see Mexico win, and to hear the festivities back in Mexico City were registered on seismic activity monitors!

What part of the world are you in right now? It’s so much more fun to watch the World Cup when the country you’re in actually has a team representing said country.

I was THRILLED that Mexico won!! Absolutely thrilled!!

I posted this commercial in another thread earlier, but you may get a kid out of it.. I was almost offended the first time it came on.. almost. ;)

Sir_Cliff

What part of the world are you in right now? It’s so much more fun to watch the World Cup when the country you’re in actually has a team representing said country.

I was THRILLED that Mexico won!! Absolutely thrilled!!

I posted this commercial in another thread earlier, but you may get a kid out of it.. I was almost offended the first time it came on.. almost. ;)

Ha! That is clever!

Funny you bring this up, because I am in the Netherlands where they are a little sore about not qualifying this time around! People are still watching it everywhere, but there is a noticeable absence of Dutch national team team jerseys and absolutely no inclination to support Belgium!

The thing that always gets me about Mexican supporters is they generally seem so pessimistic about their chances and so amazed when they win. This time around against Germany perhaps it was more understandable, but I'll always remember in 2010 when Mexico was playing France and they were interviewing people in Mexico City's main square going to watch the match whether they thought Mexico could win. I think the most enthusiastic response was along the lines of "Well, it's possible..." Then they won 2-0!

21stamps

Original Poster
Ha! That is clever!

Funny you bring this up, because I am in the Netherlands where they are a little sore about not qualifying this time around! People are still watching it everywhere, but there is a noticeable absence of Dutch national team team jerseys and absolutely no inclination to support Belgium!

The thing that always gets me about Mexican supporters is they generally seem so pessimistic about their chances and so amazed when they win. This time around against Germany perhaps it was more understandable, but I'll always remember in 2010 when Mexico was playing France and they were interviewing people in Mexico City's main square going to watch the match whether they thought Mexico could win. I think the most enthusiastic response was along the lines of "Well, it's possible..." Then they won 2-0!

Ahh ok. For some reason I thought you were in Germany. Not sure if you saw it, but the tv showed the reactions of Germany and Mexico.. there was a large group of Mexico fans right in the middle of the German crowd. It was great!!

Sir_Cliff

Ahh ok. For some reason I thought you were in Germany. Not sure if you saw it, but the tv showed the reactions of Germany and Mexico.. there was a large group of Mexico fans right in the middle of the German crowd. It was great!!
I did live in Germany until a year and a half ago. I think I would have put on a Mexico top and gone out to watch it had a still been there!
Germany does so well at so many things, I think they need to take this one on the chin!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
How did I not manage to catch this thread until now! Glad to see some discussion of the World Cup on here (@21stamps -I think we've discussed football elsewhere before). I've been a huge fan since living in Scotland as a kid - the 1982 World Cup was quite a defining moment for me. Now I live in Maryland, USA. We were in WDW four years ago during the World Cup and enjoyed watching at Gurgling Suitcase at OKW and also the old Odyssey. I've forced my wife and daughter to watch every single match so far (although some in fast-forward when lagging) as we leave for a Disney Cruise this weekend and then to WDW afterwards, so now games for me for a week and after that only limited games. Luckily, we will be back home for the last week of games! OK...maybe not so lucky to be leaving WDW, but...well...

Loved that Mexico-Germany game (my wife is Mexican, so that one got everyone on their feet). Also really enjoy Australia-France and Spain-Portugal. Wanted to enjoy the England-Tunisia, but it just wasn't that compelling of a game. I don't have any great rooting interest in this one (although, as a big Spurs fan, I'll pull for England and Belgium to some degree). Enjoy the beautiful game, friends!

21stamps

Original Poster
I have one happy kiddo after the Portugal win. That was a grinder!

Our wall chart is getting more marks..

A616B4DB-E867-407B-B775-54895BE66F27.jpeg

21stamps

Original Poster
How did I not manage to catch this thread until now! Glad to see some discussion of the World Cup on here (@21stamps -I think we've discussed football elsewhere before). I've been a huge fan since living in Scotland as a kid - the 1982 World Cup was quite a defining moment for me. Now I live in Maryland, USA. We were in WDW four years ago during the World Cup and enjoyed watching at Gurgling Suitcase at OKW and also the old Odyssey. I've forced my wife and daughter to watch every single match so far (although some in fast-forward when lagging) as we leave for a Disney Cruise this weekend and then to WDW afterwards, so now games for me for a week and after that only limited games. Luckily, we will be back home for the last week of games! OK...maybe not so lucky to be leaving WDW, but...well...

Loved that Mexico-Germany game (my wife is Mexican, so that one got everyone on their feet). Also really enjoy Australia-France and Spain-Portugal. Wanted to enjoy the England-Tunisia, but it just wasn't that compelling of a game. I don't have any great rooting interest in this one (although, as a big Spurs fan, I'll pull for England and Belgium to some degree). Enjoy the beautiful game, friends!

Have a great vacation!!!! :)

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Enjoyed our cruise and are now finally in WDW. Caught most of the games on the cruise ship and the past couple days at Vero Beach. Didn't see any of today's matches as we were in Epcot, but did follow updates online. I was sad to see that they are not showing the matches at Odyssey this year (4 years ago, we enjoyed visiting there for a couple matches). Wish we had been watching that Japan/Belgium second half!!! Tomorrow afternoon we will take a couple hours off from the parks to watch England/Columbia at the Gurgling Suitcase at Old Key West (hoping they have it on!!!!).

DisneyFreak

I had England, Brazil, Croatia and France in the semi-final with a France/England final with the Brits winning it all. Still holding out hope.

21stamps

Original Poster
Enjoyed our cruise and are now finally in WDW. Caught most of the games on the cruise ship and the past couple days at Vero Beach. Didn't see any of today's matches as we were in Epcot, but did follow updates online. I was sad to see that they are not showing the matches at Odyssey this year (4 years ago, we enjoyed visiting there for a couple matches). Wish we had been watching that Japan/Belgium second half!!! Tomorrow afternoon we will take a couple hours off from the parks to watch England/Columbia at the Gurgling Suitcase at Old Key West (hoping they have it on!!!!).

How was it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom