2018 The Wonder of Alaskan Cruise

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Hello Friends!

I'm about a day away from the start of our trip that will culminate in our first-ever Disney Alaskan Cruise on The Wonder. My last trip report was almost a year ago when we went to WDW for the holidays, while our last Disney cruise was back in 2016 when we went to the Western Caribbean on The Fantasy. So it has been a while, at least by our standards. :)

We will be flying out to Vancouver very early tomorrow, and spend the weekend there since none of us have ever been to this beautiful city. Then on Monday, we will board The Wonder for the 7-night Alaskan cruise. It should be a fun cruise. Here is the itinerary:
alaska.jpg

We have excursions planned for each stop, including a zipline above the canopy in Ketchikan. As usual, I'll try to report "live" on the spot whenever we have cellular services at various stops.

And as expected, Donald will be going with us. He's all set, and has his cold-weather gear with him just in case.
IMG_7652.JPG

I still have a bit of packing to do today, and I know that I won't get much sleep tonight.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone. We are all very excited and looking forward to the cruise. None of us have done this before.

But to be honest, this wasn't the first choice. We planned for a cruise sometime in May of last year (2017). Our initial plan was to do an Eastern Caribbean cruise. And then, you all know what happened - the 2 major hurricanes struck and caused severe damages throughout the region. We weren't sure how quickly the area would recover, but we had to decide then on what to do. So I made an "executive decision" that we will postpone that cruise, and do the Alaskan cruise instead. So that's where we are now, and come to think of it, this should have been our first choice anyway, since we have done a lot of cruises in the Caribbean already.

This Alaskan cruise will be the last Disney cruise to Alaska for the season. The Wonder moves further south after this one.

Coincidentally, a couple of our friends were on their Alaskan cruise earlier in the summer (not on Disney), and they were docked in Ketchikan and saw The Wonder also docked at the same time. So they took a picture of "our" ship! :)
IMG_6272.jpg

We will be seeing that soon enough this coming Monday! Can't wait already!

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Good morning! {yawn!}

As expected, I barely got any sleep last night. So I will be dead tired by later today. But right now, I'm running on adrenaline.

We are all packed, and ready to go. A cab will be picking us up to the airport in half an hour. Everything is go!

Zz.

John park hopper

We did a 14 day cruise (June 1 this year) not with Disney went with Holland America. It was a trip of a life time you will have a such a great time. We did all the stops you will be making plus some others. I was amazed at all the eagles they seemed to be every where, saw brown bears, seals, otters. Out of Icy straights the wife did a wale watch she saw over ten whales. I stayed on shore and toured the restored salmon cannery-- either one was great. If I remember Ketchikan has a very good museum worth seeing. Have a wonderful time

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I am still trying to transition back to real life after our WONDERful cruise to Alaska, 7-nighter from August 6-13.

We flew in only the day before but stayed on for 3 nights after our cruise. Rented a car, took the ferry to Victoria to see Butchart Gardens (inspiration for the garden in Epcot’s Canada pavilion), then back to Vancouver for 2 nights. Highly recommend the Capilano Suspension Bridge Park.

You’re in for an amazing time!! We planned it to be a once-in-a-lifetime trip, but halfway through started trying to figure out how soon we could do it again.

Last edited:

John park hopper

My parents went to Alaska (they drove and were there for 6 weeks) and ever since it has been on my bucket list! Following along on your adventure!
Driving th ALCAn highway is on my bucket list too. Met a guy who spends the summer in Homer drives from FL said it was the most scenic , wildlife everywhere. After talking to him -----Bucket list for sure

Sabrina1705

The Alaska cruise is on my bucketlist so following along!
I have been in Vancouver a few years ago and tought it was beautiful so enjoy your weekend there!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom