2018 Star Wars Light Side Half Marathon

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Word is middle of August.

I saw the Tinker Bell thread. Hope something changes. Worried about the Labor Day weekend now.

That article on Mouseplanet was an eye opener. While the lack of characters along the course is a bummer, the cluster that was bib pickup and even more so, security checks the morning of is making me rethink Anaheim. If the Half has the same problems, I may not run in the 2018 Light Side. I'm hoping those of you running in the Half in a month don't go through what the Tink runners experienced. The mass of runners stymied at security reminded me of photos of MK on NYE.....

LAKid53

Premium Member
So, it's mid-August and race page still not updated with info on when registration will open.. Would I be correct in thinking nothing will happen until DLR Half weekend is completed in 2 weeks?

RunningKoen

Announcing anything about this race so close to the Disneyland Half would not only be a PR disaster but will also rain on the '10 year DL half' parade.

I personally do not expect any info untill, and not even at the Disneyland Half.

Keep in mind that it still is runDisney and with their communication skills, popping some info out just a day before the race sounds kinda logic for them.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Announcing anything about this race so close to the Disneyland Half would not only be a PR disaster but will also rain on the '10 year DL half' parade.

I personally do not expect any info untill, and not even at the Disneyland Half.

Keep in mind that it still is runDisney and with their communication skills, popping some info out just a day before the race sounds kinda logic for them.

However, that's not their MO. Registration hasn't opened yet - and it's getting to the point where runners will have made other plans. The only runners who were able to register were 2017 runners who got the "thanks for participating, wanna come again?" email runDisney sends out a week or two after the race. rD cannot open registration a day or two before the race...

RunningKoen

Opening registration after the Disneyland half would still be 7 months before the race. DLP half had bib only sales open only 3 months before the race.

rD has reached a point where there's so much to do about Tink and Star Wars Light Side. No matter what or when they announce, there will be a storm of complaints, questions and general commotion. All those question at the expo?

I think they'll announce something, or open registration 1 or 2 weeks after the Half weekend. Before or during the weekend would be a mess and those 2 weeks wont make a big difference.

Texas84

So, it's mid-August and race page still not updated with info on when registration will open.. Would I be correct in thinking nothing will happen until DLR Half weekend is completed in 2 weeks?

You probably heard the same thing I did. The DLR Expo will be a good opportunity to harass runDisney. :)

Texas84

Can you harass for those not running in two weeks? Nicely, though, like Southerners do. :)

I wouldn't want to be working at the runDisney booth at the expo. Yes, I will be polite but I'm sure others will not. :D

Hoping they also do the runDisney Q&A sessions.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I wouldn't want to be working at the runDisney booth at the expo. Yes, I will be polite but I'm sure others will not. :D

If I were running, I'd do my best Scarlett impression, dripping with all that sweet Southern charm.

RunningKoen

The Light Side half is in January. But I can still get a decent flight 2-3 months out.
Excuse me, I had the races mixed up. That would indeed be quite a problem for planning. I understand the post of @LAKid53 now.

Well, thats why I guess there wont be any info before or at the expo. No updates or info is the easiest

LAKid53

Premium Member
Wonder if there will 'early' registration at next week's expo? :cautious:

That would be really crappy of them to do.

I broke down, overcame my reluctance to get on social media, and got a Twitter account, just to follow runDisney. A lot of runners have been tweeting them, asking what's going on with Light Side. One even asked if anyone at rD monitors their Twitter feed. Every time rD tweets anything related to a particular race, there are a number of Tweets back asking about Light Side. Runners aren't happy and are expressing their concerns about the state of 2018 races at DLR. It's getting to the point that runners who have to travel more than a few hours, especially those who have to fly, will have issues making travel arrangements that don't cost more than they were willing to pay. And I think if rD doesn't, within a few weeks after the DLR Half, update their website, they will loose runners in the future. Whatever the issue is - obtaining the proper permits from the City, revising race course due to existing and future construction, they need to get their act in gear. Wasn't one of the reasons rD went to temp workers related to obtaining permits and getting sufficient LE coverage when they used unpaid volunteers? It's glaringly obvious that didn't work out too well.

Sorry for my rant. But rD's silence is inexcusable. And surprisingly, based upon what I've read about Twitter, none of the tweets from runners were inappropriate. But if rD makes a surprise announcement at the Expo next week and opens up registration to runners without notice to those of us not participating, I wouldn't want to be the staff monitoring their Twitter account.... One Tweeter even sympathized with rD staff at the Expo, who will be bombarded by 20,000 runners about that race.

Good luck to all of you running, my hopes for some PRs. And let us know how the construction of SW Land is going...and your thoughts on the Guardians tower. I'm going to be at Uni next week, experiencing Volcano Bay - can't wait. Making a side trip to WDW for MNSSHP next Friday...and will finally meet the couple the kids met on their honeymoon cruise who live in CA and attended D23. The kids talk about their new friends a lot - they've kept in touch - and I'm excited to hear about the convention from folks who attend every year. Our dinner next Friday at GF before we all head over to the party will be lots of Disney talk...and some Southern California conversations. I really do miss my home. And I will be taking out time to watch my beloved Noles take on Bama Saturday night. Got to make sure to get plenty of gummy bears. Thank god we're staying concierge level at the Royal Pacific...they'll keep us stocked up on beer during the game... And if things aren't going well at halftime, I'll be able to drown my sorrow in chocolate at their expense.

RunningKoen

@LAKid53 It's not only their twitter feed. I think their Facebook page suffers even more from all this; every post is instantly filled up with several comments about Light Side or Tink. Some of them total unrelated, some of them try to make a link between the original post and the situation around LS/Tink.

Several of those comments get quite some likes, and often become a place to complain. I havent checked them all, but I've never seen any reply to those from runDisney at all.

Rob562

A friend of mine has already registered for the 2018 Dark Side Half Marathon with the intention of also doing the Light Side to complete the combo run. (Kessel Run?)

If for some reason the rumors are true and they decide to cancel to Light Side, will they refund or at least transfer his Dark Side registration to another WDW race? He did the 2017 Dark Side and would rather run a different race if the Light/Dark combo won't be available.

-Rob

dreamfinder

A friend of mine has already registered for the 2018 Dark Side Half Marathon with the intention of also doing the Light Side to complete the combo run. (Kessel Run?)

If for some reason the rumors are true and they decide to cancel to Light Side, will they refund or at least transfer his Dark Side registration to another WDW race? He did the 2017 Dark Side and would rather run a different race if the Light/Dark combo won't be available.

-Rob

This would kinda be uncharted territory for runDisney. Normal policy would be no refund/transfers, but they might luck out with a pity story. Of course, it would require them to officially cancel the event.......

LAKid53

Premium Member
This would kinda be uncharted territory for runDisney. Normal policy would be no refund/transfers, but they might luck out with a pity story. Of course, it would require them to officially cancel the event.......

First we thought we'd hear something after the Half earlier this month. Now I guess we have to wait until after the Super Heroes in November? But the longer runDisney remains silent about the 2018 Anaheim races, the more I'm thinking cancellation of some. Waiting until after the Super Heroes is going to negatively impact many runners planning on participating in the Light Side.

And rD hasn't even published the dates for the 2018 Tinkerbell Half. Not a good sign.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom