2018 Star Wars Light Side Half Marathon

sgtmgd

Original Poster
Anyone have an idea why the registration has been disabled, Ive been checking since we got back in April. Seems odd the Dark is open now, hoping to do the Kessel Run so any comments are appreciated.

dreamfinder

It looks like all the DLR races are in limbo. I'm still leaning towards the general slow registration & cluster of issues they had at the Tink, but other people are mentioning construction messing with the routes.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
According to some, the construction of a new hotel in the DLR parking lot is impacting the staging area. But they've found a way to hold Tink, the Half and Super Heroes.

Probably several factors, including the use of temp agencies to staff DLR races.

Edit: correction to my statement about hotel construction. I mistakenly thought the hotel was now under construction - must improve reading comprehension, lol.

@Texas84 & @dreamfinder, is there another area of the property they can use for race staging? Trying to visualize with a 10 acre building and the acreage needed for construction materials, trailers, equipment, etc., how much of the DLR parking lot will be free of construction activity.

Last edited:

Texas84

@Texas84 & @dreamfinder, is there another area of the property they can use for race staging? Trying to visualize with a 10 acre building and the acreage needed for construction materials, trailers, equipment, etc., how much of the DLR parking lot will be free of construction activity.

There is a big lot south of the Disneyland Hotel. My wild guess is they are still waiting on what exactly the construction company needs. Also, the corrals are on Disneyland Drive and that would probably be used for access to the site.

LAKid53

Premium Member
There is a big lot south of the Disneyland Hotel. My wild guess is they are still waiting on what exactly the construction company needs. Also, the corrals are on Disneyland Drive and that would probably be used for access to the site.

Not to mention affecting the main entrance to DTD, according to the map I found. Hotel scheduled be completed in 2021. Since they will be giving up 10 acres of parking, hopefully the planned 5,000 space parking garage will be built concurrently. I would imagine the associated parking structure will primarily serve hotel guests.

Can't believe Paradise Pier is rated 3 stars.....

kevlightyear

This shows how absolutely terrible RunDisney is with communication of future plans. There's something to be said for keeping some information close to the vest, but the hardcore RD fans are foaming at the mouth. Just a simple, 'We're working out the details' would go a long way. Uncertainty does not mix with events you register for months in advance.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Lastest rumor is that both Light Side and Tink will be cancelled so that runDisney can plan a full marathon at DLR. And no, the rumor's not from The Site That Cannot Be Named....

@kevlightyear, talk about hardcore RD fans foaming at the mouth.....

If so, there goes my Kessel. :bawling:

dreamfinder

Lastest rumor is that both Light Side and Tink will be cancelled so that runDisney can plan a full marathon at DLR. And no, the rumor's not from The Site That Cannot Be Named....

I suppose it's possible, but they really would need to up their game. Unlike WDW where a) there is alot more park to run through and b) alot of what are essentially private roads that can be closed with minimal impact to others; a huge chunk of that course would need to run through residential/industrial areas. And where they already did a good job of shooting themselves in the foot by turning away most of the non Disney entertainment this year, and the general lack of desire from Disney to have characters be in public areas (or even just areas that non runners can get to) it's going to be a tough sell. Just dig up some of the commentary from the last time they did a full marathon out there.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I suppose it's possible, but they really would need to up their game. Unlike WDW where a) there is alot more park to run through and b) alot of what are essentially private roads that can be closed with minimal impact to others; a huge chunk of that course would need to run through residential/industrial areas. And where they already did a good job of shooting themselves in the foot by turning away most of the non Disney entertainment this year, and the general lack of desire from Disney to have characters be in public areas (or even just areas that non runners can get to) it's going to be a tough sell. Just dig up some of the commentary from the last time they did a full marathon out there.

Makes perfect sense, especially given runners comments from Tinkerbell. But runDisney is also shooting itself in the foot by still not, 4 months after registration was supposed to open, providing any type of update. Even a "While construction may impact race staging and courses, we're still committed to the 2018 races at DLR and are working on details to ensure runners the best possible experience at DLR". The race is in 6 months. I would imagine runners will need to finalize their plans in the next month or so in order to participate.

Texas84

Well, I went ahead and made a hotel reservation because someone said all the rooms are filling up. I can cancel without charge.

Hey all, Disneyland Hotel was still available for 'only' $600 per night. :rolleyes:

LAKid53

Premium Member
Well, I went ahead and made a hotel reservation because someone said all the rooms are filling up. I can cancel without charge.

Hey all, Disneyland Hotel was still available for 'only' $600 per night. :rolleyes:

Guess I should make my hotel reservation....

dreamfinder

Makes perfect sense, especially given runners comments from Tinkerbell. But runDisney is also shooting itself in the foot by still not, 4 months after registration was supposed to open, providing any type of update. Even a "While construction may impact race staging and courses, we're still committed to the 2018 races at DLR and are working on details to ensure runners the best possible experience at DLR". The race is in 6 months. I would imagine runners will need to finalize their plans in the next month or so in order to participate.

I agree completely. Participation will most likely be way down unless prices drop alot to attract locals as many people need/want to firm up travel plans well in advance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom