2024 NASCAR

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Joey Logano for the win! (I was surprised, but not stunned, that he won the championship yesterday.) The principal competitors all drove their hearts out, on that race course yesterday afternoon. Very exciting race.

(My heart went out to Martin Truex, Jr., in the post-race interview.)

Anyway, congratulations to Joey and his crew.

1542624630903.png

wdwfan4ver

Since the Season is over, I'm starting to comment on stuff.

I think the breakout driver of the year is Aric Almirola. While Chase Elliott won 3 times starting at Watkin's Glen, I think not a lot of people expected to contend for wins multiple times that year after last year.

I think the most disappointing driver is Jamie Mcmurray. I am very tempted to say Jimmie Johnson, but Jimmie was struggling after the spring Dover Win in 2017. Jamie Mcmurray to me was a huge disappointing considering Jamie in 2017 had his most top 10's since 2004.

My runner up for Disappointing driver is Daniel Suarez. My reasoning is he regressed this year although he had 2 more top 5's this season. Daniel had 3 less top 10's this year than he did as a rookie. I know Denny had a down year, but his 3 teammates made the chase and Daniel didn't is a problem if people look at the stats. Denny had almost 2 times the top tops as Daniel did this year and Erik Jones had 2 times the top 10's as Daniel. I can't blame JGR replacing Suarez with Martin Truex Jr.

Last edited:

artvandelay

Since the Season is over, I'm starting to comment on stuff.

I think the breakout driver of the year is Aric Almirola. While Chase Elliott won 3 times starting at Watkin's Glen, I think not a lot of people expected to contend for wins multiple times that year after last year.

I think the most disappointing driver is Jamie Mcmurray. I am very tempted to say Jimmie Johnson, but Jimmie was struggling after the spring Dover Win in 2017. Jamie Mcmurray to me was a huge disappointing considering Jamie in 2017 had his most top 10's since 2004.

My runner up for Disappointing driver is Daniel Suarez. My reasoning is he regressed this year although he had 2 more top 5's this season. Daniel had 3 less top 10's this year than he did as a rookie. I know Denny had a down year, but his 3 teammates made the chase and Daniel didn't is a problem if people look at the stats. Denny had almost 2 times the top tops as Daniel did this year and Erik Jones had 2 times the top 10's as Daniel. I can't blame JGR replacing Suarez with Martin Truex Jr.
Almirola had a great year. He was in position to win the Daytona 500 on the last lap and got booted by Dillon. He took over a car that had trouble finishing on the lead lap last year and made it a contender.

What did you think of Kesolowski causing that late caution? Childers was suspicious of a mid pack car taking it 4 wide.

wdwfan4ver

What did you think of Kesolowski causing that late caution? Childers was suspicious of a mid pack car taking it 4 wide.
I am not sure on Brad's motive, but it was something I can't blame Childers thinking that Brad was trying to help his teammate. The problem is this is very hard to prove unless something was mentioned on the radio like MWR on Clint Bowyer's radio in 2013 at 2nd Richmond race or something very blatant like a couple F1 races I remembered.

When I saw that caution yesterday, the first thing I thought of was this is going to help Joey win the championship due to Joey having a great short run car and Truex had a great long run car.

wdwfan4ver

The most disappointing organization of the year to me is Roush. My reasoning is Roush did improve in 2017, but it went backwards this year and the 6 team didn't get a top 10 before the final 2 races of the year. I compared Roush to the other Ford Teams. The 17 and the 6 team combined for as many top 10s as Paul Menard did. I know Wood bros. took a dive this year, but it was due Paul Menard taking Ryan Blaney's old ride. Front Row Racing even improved this year. What makes this bad is Chevy in general went down this year, and one would expect Roush to take advantage of it.

I looked at how good Stewart-Haas and Penske was this year, I would expect expect the 17 the 6 car be better this year. I don't know what happened to the 6 car this year, but I think it hurt the 17 car some. Bayne was decent in 2017 with 6 top 10's, but he took a nose dive before he split the car with Kenseth.

Runner up: Chevy teams in General. The new car did not go as smooth as planned and only won 4 cup races, but how much of that can be blamed on Hendrick. Hendrick had problems getting top 5's at 1.5 mile tracks this year despite Chase's win at Kansas. I didn't expect a lot out of Byron due to him being rushed into cup. I didn't know what to expect out of Bowman getting into the season due him not having a cup race since 2016. Jimmie Johnson continued to decline this year, but I don't know how much of this is on Chad or Jimmie at this point.

RCR could not pick up the slack for Hendrick's decline at 1.5 mile track due to their engines. I know Austin Dillion was improving since start of the final Michigan race of the season, but the organization is behind.

Kyle Larson basically was the only Chevy driver that could a top 5 on a 1.5 mile track week and week out Despite Chase Elliot's Kansas win in the chase. Chase Elliott's win at Kansas in October was a outline on how he ran at 1.5 mile tracks this year.

wdwfan4ver

I think the best organization of the year is Stewart-Haas. Almirola almost won multiple times this year. I'm pointing at Daytona 500, New Hampshire, Chicagoland, and 2nd Dover race. This organization up homestead had a lot of pure speed.

Kurt Busch led over 600 laps this year despite only having 6 top 5's. Clint Bowyer had a career year is laps led with 490. The only problem with this organization before homestead is the pit crew for the organization at times.

I have Penske as the runner up despite having the championship. While Penske didn't have pure speed for most of the regular season outside of Ryan Blaney. Brad and Joey showed speed during the playoffs. Joey picked up speed at the right time and is why he won the championship.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

I think the best race of 2018 happened at Chicagoland. Hot slick track, different leaders and great ending.

I think the worst race is the 2nd Talladega race barely over the Coca Cola 600. I have the 2nd Talladega race being the worst cup of the year and one of the worst restrictor plate races of all time. What happened was an entire racing organization somehow managed to be so much better than the entire field at a plate race. I tip my hat to Stewart-Haas, but it is not what you expect for a plate race.

I have the Coca-Cola 600 2nd worst for a reason. This a race that traditionally didn't have the same driver dominate so many laps due to it being Day and night before Martin Truex Jr. really dominated the race in 2016 and Kyle Busch being the 2nd. My theory is the adjustable track bar played a roll in that since drivers were able to adjust the track bar from the drivers seat. Thankfully NASCAR is got a rid of the adjustable track bar. Having a adjustable track bar made easier for a driver to "hooked up" for a entire fuel run.

I think the craziest cup race of the year goes to 2nd Las Vegas race. What caused this race to be crazy is you are dealing outside temperatures being 100 degrees in September with goodyear bringing a tire that can't last an entire fuel run. The other problem is NASCAR never ran a race at Las Vegas in September before. I'm happy that NASCAR didn't use a taper spacer because this race could've had more teared up race cars. with a unexpected winner.

Runner up for Crazy cup race of the year goes to 2nd Daytona race.

wdwfan4ver

Front Row Motorsports announced they are adding a third cup team with Matt Tifft as the rookie cup driver.

Matt Tifft was solid at RCR last year in the Xfinity series. I can't comment on him as a prospect because of NASCAR rule changes could turn 1.5 and 2 mile tracks into pack racing tracks next year for the cup series.

There is a piece of interesting News. Denny Hamlin's old crew chief Mike Wheeler is now going to crew chief the 95 car of Leavine Family Racing with Matt DiBenedetto as the driver. What makes this interesting is the amount of information Denny's old crew chief brings Leavine Family Racing since the 95 is getting to get Joe Gibbs Racing support next year.

wdwfan4ver

I have NASCAR news.

General Motors plans no cuts to Racing programs.

It was announced earlier this week that Danny Stockman will be Austin Dillon's crew chief in 2019. Danny was Austin's crew chief when they won the Truck series and the then Xfinity series championship. I found that move odd. My reasoning is The 3 car was getting better in the chase compare to the first 26 races of the season. Part of Austin's problem is Chevy's new car and RCR has been behind for a long time. The other thing is Austin was a overrated prospect before going to cup and I think Danny would help Austin that much.

Austin's Truck series champion was aided by NASCAR not having rules in place to prevent cup drivers race in the truck series. Back in 2011, Kyle Busch wrecked Ron Hornaday Jr. under caution at Texas during the 2nd to last race of the season and Ron was only 15 points behind Dillon at the time entering the race. Austin's Nationwide Championship aka Xifinity series Championship happened despite him not winning a single race back in 2013. Austin won the cup championship by 3 points over Sam Hornish Jr. The problem is NASCAR didn't have a limit on how many races race a cup driver can race in the lower series at the time with Roger Penske caring more about the Owner's championship. Roger Penske's cup driver prevent Sam from 3 races that year including Brad traveling from Pocono to Iowa just to win a what is than a Nationwide race so Roger can win a owner's championship:rolleyes:.

If Austin gets better next, it could be due to NASCAR's packing racing package on 1.5 to 2 mile tracks if it works like NASCAR expects. The crew chief is limited due to the rules because you are dealing with drafting. Danny Stockman is not going to help him at Road Courses since Austin always been bad on them even in back when Austin was Nationwide series aka now Xfinity series regular.

wdwfan4ver

If any of you watched NASCAR's award show last night, there was a reason Kyle Bush had a rest in his speech when he mentioned his family. Kyle and his family is dealing with something very devastating in their private life. Kyle's wife suffered a miscarriage earlier this week after announcing she is pregnant by undergoing vitro fertilization procedure the week before. Kyle's only son was born through the same procedure.

Kyle's wife under went that procedure because of fertility problems.

artvandelay

If any of you watched NASCAR's award show last night, there was a reason Kyle Bush had a rest in his speech when he mentioned his family. Kyle and his family is dealing with something very devastating in their private life. Kyle's wife suffered a miscarriage earlier this week after announcing she is pregnant by undergoing vitro fertilization procedure the week before. Kyle's only son was born through the same procedure.

Very sad.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Oh dear. That's very sad for the family.

wdwfan4ver

Here is my version of the version of the good, the bad, and the Ugly this year.

The winner of the good category was a tough one. I have Kevin Harvick driving his son to victory lane at the 2nd Michigan race. What makes this great is a great moment of Kevin's son wanting to ride in Kevin's car as a passenger if his dad win the race. The other moments I considered was People inside NASCAR helped the 32 car get money to race including follow drivers,Kyle Larson and Kyle Busch great ending at Chicago land, and the Martinsville battle between Joey Logano and Martin Truex Jr.

I got Kevin over the others because of the Circumstances. During the week leading to the 2nd Michigan race, the ugly moment of the year was overlooking everything including Chase Elliott's first win.

NASCAR had great father and son moments in the past and What the Harvick Family did is a great one.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Kurt Busch announced he's not returning to the 41 car. That basically tells us Daniel Suarez is taking over the 41 car. I know there were rumors a couple months ago about Kurt taking over Jamie Mcmurray's ride.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

NASCAR hired Deloitte to audit teams’ finances and create a common accounting platform to determine if a budget cap will be introduced.

I think think a budget is going to be tough to enforce, but I think its needed after what JGR did to Furniture Row Race. JGR raising the cost to of Furniture Racing receiving support money from 4 millions to 12 million dollars after the 78 car won the cup championship.

wdwfan4ver

It is official that Kurt Busch is going to Chip Ganassi Racing with Monster Energy, but it is only for 1 year. It is expected that Kurt that 2019 is going be Kurt's last full time season as a NASCAR driver. I'm guess Chip wants Kurt to mentor Kyle Larson and Ross Chastain although I wouldn't rule out John Hunter Nemechek..

I'm guessing Chip wants to build a relationship with Monster Energy, and Ross Chastain would take over the 1 car in 2020. Chip is expecting a big season out of Chastain in the Xfinity series next year. Chip's banking on if Ross gets a championship next year in the Xfinity series, Monster Energy would want him a cup driver. I mentioned John Hunter Nemechek although he's not with Chip next season for a reason. Chip still wants Nemechek according his press Conference last month.

My take is if Kurt Busch does retire from NASCAR after 2019, it be the last of an era of current full time drivers that raced in the 2001 Daytona 500. The only current full time cup drivers that with Dale Earnhardt Sr. is Ryan Newman at Phoenix in 2000 and Kurt Busch. What is happening is drivers are retiring at a younger age than drivers from Dale Sr.'s era did.

wdwfan4ver

There is a little bit information concerning Furniture Row Racing's Charter. According to NASCAR report Dustin Long, Squire Sports & Entertainment has confirmed that they purchased Furniture Row Racing's Charter. They did not announce the driver, sponsors and alliance yet. Squire Sports & Entertainment did say that they renumbered the car 77 and will be a Chevy team.

I don't know if they are going for the driver's championship or Owner's points championship as a new team. That tells me if they want multiple drivers since a lot their NASCAR Clients are either taken, or drivers that are under contract on lower NASCAR series.

Spire Sports + Entertainment is a agency that represents race car drivers and sponsors. I know they currently represent NASCAR drivers, but I do not like their options. I know the list of drivers they currently represent according to their website. Here is my take on the drivers they have as clients:

Kyle Larson - He is not going to be their first cup driver. He's under contract with Chip Ganassi Racing.

Landon Cassill - I don't know if he'll be back with Starcom Racing, but he's a experienced cup driver. Experienced drivers on a new team is not a bad thing to have due them not wanting to tear up equipment. He's been in garbage equipment for most of his NASCAR career.

Ross Chastain - He's not available for this new cup team. he's back with the 15 cup team next season although he's not running for a cup championship. He's racing for Chip Ganassi Racing in the Xfinity series.

Justin Haley - I have a hard time seeing this happening because he's way too raw at this point. My reasoning is he's racing for points in the Xfinity series for Matthew Kaulig as a rookie driver in that series. If Justin races in the cup series, he will not get any cup points.

Garrett Smithley - he's back with JD Motorsports with the Xfinity series next season. I know he did 3 cup series this season and could be an option. The catch is he raced for StarCom racing in the cup series.

Vinnie Miller - I don't know if he's with a Xfinity series team next year. If I am this new race team, you don't want him despite him bringing money to the table. His teammates way over-perform him in the Xfinity series. Him in the cup series concerns me.

Travis Braden - Experienced stock car driver, but I hope he's not considered for cup. My problem is the highest level of racing he does is ARCA Racing.

Cole Rouse - I don't see this happening. I think he's with Kyle Busch Motorsports next year in the truck series as a rookie driver. He's too raw as a driver for cup. His NASCAR background is in regional NASCAR series.

Todd Gilliland - He can't be under consideration for this new cup team despite being one of their clients for many reasons. Ge's under a Toyota driver development contract I believe and that means Toyota is not going to have him go to Chevy cup team. He's under contract with Kyle Busch Motorsports next season. He's only 18 years old and does not have a lot of experience ovals over a mile long.

wdwfan4ver

For me, the bad in 2018 for category is a tie. It is tied between Furniture Row Racing leaving Nascar a year after winning the cup championship and Brett Mofitt being forced out of a truck series ride despite winning the truck series championship this year. The only reason these two didn't win the ugly category is do to what is coming up for Ugly.

What makes this two tied in the bad category is due to what is wrong with NASCAR right now. Joe Gibbs Racing decided to triple the cost of their support to Furniture Row Racing after winning cup championship. Furniture Row Racing than gets the blow that their sponsor 5 hour energy is leaving NASCAR after 2018. This has to be one the factors of why NASCAR is having race teams finances to find out if is possible to have a budget cap. The other thing what makes this a winner for bad is NASCAR had other sponsors that left times after this year and 5 hour energy is one of them.

The deal with Brett Mofitt is the team left him know he's out of a ride and told him they found a driver with that brings a sponsor.

The runner ups includes NASCAR officials not know their rule book at Texas by forcing Jimmie Johnson start from the back due to their mistake.:facepalm: The NASCAR rulebook states a driver is forced to start from the back is they fail tech 3 times, not two times. Jimmie only failed tech 2 times. The penalty the 48 supposed to get was 30 less minutes of practice instead starting the back in a race.

I also have the 4 team at Texas as a runner up although I did consider put the entire Stewart-Haas. What happened at Texas was Kevin's car and 2 other cars were taken to NASCAR's Research and development center after the race. NASCAR discovered Stewart-Haas illegally made a custom made spoiler for Texas with them adding it after pre-race inspection. The catch is it sounded like more than one Stewart-Haas made illegal spoilers for Texas, but NASCAR only took Kevin's car to the NASCAR Research and Development center.

The last runner up is Spencer Gallagher got suspended for flunking a drug test took 3 days after his party like 1999 comment in Talladega victory lane:jawdrop::facepalm:. I don't know what is involved for partying like 1999 after a NASCAR win, but common sense says you are not support do drugs in NASCAR as a driver even after a NASCAR win.

The truth is NASCAR's drug policy for drivers states they can be drug tested any day of the week including after you celebrate a NASCAR win.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

The winner of the Ugly Category is Brian France getting arrested in the state of New York for drunk driving and position of a controlled Substance. The substance found was 5 oxycodone pills aka pills that are a type of an opioid. Brian plead not guilty and still going through a trial. The man is a total disgrace to NASCAR and I feel sorry for his 7 year old twins for having Brian as a parent.

What makes this the winner is a combination of things. Brian France at the time was the Chairman and CEO of NASCAR at the time of his arrest. Anytime a CEO/ Chairman gets arrest for drugs and alcohol, it is the worst thing from a pr standpoint besides having NASCAR fans faces in horror. This also makes NASCAR fans wonder how much of the rules and stuff he approved of was done under the influence of drugs and alcohol.

Brian was in the same state as NASCAR was holding a Xfinity and cup race, but Brian decided not go to the race track at all. Brian made the choice of getting drunk and I'm guessing taking opioids instead at his New York home. Since Brian France was known not show up at race tracks during NASCAR race weekends, it gives people the impression the CEO on NASCAR doesn't care about his product, but rather get drunk and do drugs during race weekends insteado_O:jawdrop::facepalm:.

This is not the first time Brian France did bad driving while in charge of NASCAR. Back in 2006, Brian France crashed his into a tree in Florida, but the police didn't come right away with the police believing he was picking up his soda story. A lot of people including the media thought at the time he actually crashed into a tree drunk.

Brian France was actually strange at the Cup Awards ceremony last year at La Vegas and the arrest in New York explains his awards ceremony behavior sadly. The fact is Brian needed to be checked in a rehab center after his behavior at Las Vegas last year. The Truth Brian France's Sister and Uncle needed to step in after in his strange behavior at Cup Awards Ceremony last year and instead Brian's behavior left NASCAR a big black eye.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom