2024 NASCAR

wdwfan4ver

It sounds like Mike Joy, Darrell Waltrip, and Jeff Gordon will return to the booth next year. Jeff doesn't have have a contract for 2019 yet, but they are very close to renewal.

Fox does need that renewal bad with Jeff Gordon. Jeff Gordon is considered young compare to the other two. Fox is going to replace Darrell Waltrip and Mike Joy sometime in next decade. Mike Joy is going to be 70 years old later this year and Darrell is going to be 72 before the 2019 Daytona 500.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It sounds like Mike Joy, Darrell Waltrip, and Jeff Gordon will return to the booth next year. Jeff doesn't have have a contract for 2019 yet, but they are very close to renewal.

Fox does need that renewal bad with Jeff Gordon. Jeff Gordon is considered young compare to the other two. Fox is going to replace Darrell Waltrip and Mike Joy sometime in next decade. Mike Joy is going to be 70 years old later this year and Darrell is going to be 72 before the 2019 Daytona 500.

Haven't seen many races on TV so far this season. Based on last year (when I watched races more often), I never even noticed the advanced age of Mike and Darrell. To me, they just did a good job and age never even entered into my impressions of them. So, I was surprised to read the above. (Oh, I think MIke Joy is actually going to be 69 in late November--I looked up his bio., so one more year and he'll be 70.)

Now, as for Jeff Gordon, I think he definitely adds to the commentary and hope that they do continue with his contract. Guess part of that is due to the fact that I started watching NASCAR through much of Jeff Gordon's career, and can probably relate to his racing years a bit more, due to that. Wish I had watched the races back when Darrell Waltrip was racing.

wdwfan4ver

There is big news.

Breenan Poole is suing Chip Ganassi Racing, and former agency Spire Sports and Entertainment on claims that they illegally conspired to move the DC Solar sponsorship from Poole in the Xfinity Series to Kyle Larson in the Cup series and Breenan can't find a ride.

There is proof that Spire Sports and Entertainment did do something illegal if what Breenan Poole mentioned in the lawsuit is true. His agent lied to him multiple times in multiple years.

What I referring to is Poole claims claimed that Spire told him JR Motorsports wanted $7.5 million for an Xfinity ride in 2016 when the actual price was $3.2 million.

Poole also claimed they misrepresented to DC Solar that if it wanted to sponsor a Cup car at Richard Childress Racing in 2018, it would cost $15 million. Spire misrepresented DC Solar that if they wanted to sponsor a Cup car at RCR due to RCR actually wanted 10 million dollars.

The reason Poole sued Chip Ganassi Racing is because Spire's was a consultant for Chip Ganassi Racing for Ganassi in its sponsorship search to replace Larson sponsor Target.

To top it off Spire Sports and Entertainment has Kyle Larson as one of their clients.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

My own take is Brennan Poole may not have much of a case on Chip Ganassi Racing as much as his former agent. Brennan Poole has a huge case on why his former agent should be sued.

Spire Sports and Entertainment would be hurting if this is true. They have multiple drivers that use them as their agent. They have Kyle Larson, Indycare driver James Hinchcliffe, Big NASCAR prospect Todd Gilliland, Truck series driver Justin Haley, Xfinity series driver Garrett Smithley, Xfinity series driver Vinnie Miller, ARCA driver Chase Purday, and NASCAR K & N pro series driver Cole Rouse as race car drivers they represent.

Not all the drivers Spire Sports and Entertainment are stars, but I'm sure future drivers could stay away from using them as an agent if the Brennan wins the lawsuit. This agent group committed a big sin in my opinion in their professional. Sports agents are supposed to be honest to their clients, not lying and break contract with client.

That sports agent group caused Brennan Pole not to have a ride in his profession currently.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Now, as for Jeff Gordon, I think he definitely adds to the commentary and hope that they do continue with his contract. Guess part of that is due to the fact that I started watching NASCAR through much of Jeff Gordon's career, and can probably relate to his racing years a bit more, due to that. Wish I had watched the races back when Darrell Waltrip was racing.
I watched some of the races Darrell was Racing since I got my start in NASCAR in 1993 Darrell did not win, but he was competitive before the 1995 All Star race crash that gave him an injury and his 2nd injury in the 1990s. Darrell's first injury in the 1990s was a broken leg that happened during Daytona practice.

Darrell rarely was competitive after that injury in 1995. Darrell not winning in 1993 and 1994 was due to Darrell's mistake of building their own engines instead of using Hendrick Motorsports engines. Darrell himself admitted that much later on.

What I became NASCAR fan, Darrell was not at his peak even if he used Hendrick Engines. Darrell was 46 in 1993 and his best seasons were in the early 1980's in my opinion. In the past, I read long time NASCAR writers say Darrell Waltrip was not the same driver after he suffered a concussion at the 1983 Daytona 500 after that hard hits he took from that crash. Darrell claimed that it changed his life and is a better human being based on what he said in the past about that wreck.

Here is the 1983 wreck I am referring to:

Last edited:

patch553

it'll be interesting to follow the news on Poole, its a shame for an up and coming promising driver to lose his ride and if its down to being conned out of it its even worse

wdwfan4ver

NASCAR didn't do pre-qualifying Inspection for Chicagoland, but did post qualifying inspection. Four times were disallowed and starting from the back. The drivers are Benny Hamlin, Martin Truex Jr, Chris Buescher and Jimmie Johnson.

wdwfan4ver

Nothing was sent home and this didn't try to make a qualifying lap at Chicagoland this year:
:hilarious:

I remembered seeing that on television trying to qualify for the race and the sponsor sponsoring the race didn't come back the following year.

wdwfan4ver

Usually I don't comment about races on this thread, but I think today had the best cup race of the year so far and the best cup race ever at Chicagoland Speedway.

What happened is the track is finally showing its age in surface and there is tire wear.

I hope this race persuades NASCAR not to do restrictor plates on 1.5 mile tracks.

While it was over 150 degrees insides the cars, this had as good a finish as you can get at a non restrictor plate track. The other thing is there was true passing for the lead today also.

Last edited:

artvandelay

Usually I don't comment about races on this thread, but I think today had the best cup race of the year so far and the best cup race ever at Chicagoland Speedway.

What happened is the track is finally showing its age in surface and there is tire wear.

I hope this race persuades NASCAR not to do restrictor plates on 1.5 mile tracks.

While it was over 150 degrees insides the cars, this had as good a finish as you can get at a non restrictor plate track. The other thing is there was true passing for the lead today also.
I agree. A lot of different leaders and an amazing last lap.

wdwfan4ver

I think the temperatures and Chicagoland being a daytime race provided that great racing due to lack of grip and it being an aged surface. I went to the first ever Chicagoland cup race in 2001 in July and it was around a 100 degree at the time and the 90 some degree temperatures this weekend there is not a surprise.

While people like Night time racing, it causes a bad race because Aerodynamics playing a bigger role due to the grip level like it did for the Coca Cola 600.

If a track has an aged surface, it would make it less existing under the lights from a passing standpoint.

artvandelay

I think the temperatures and Chicagoland being a daytime race provided that great racing due to lack of grip and it being an aged surface. I went to the first ever Chicagoland cup race in 2001 in July and it was around a 100 degree at the time and the 90 some degree temperatures this weekend there is not a surprise.

While people like Night time racing, it causes a bad race because Aerodynamics playing a bigger role due to the grip level like it did for the Coca Cola 600.

If a track has an aged surface, it would make it less existing under the lights from a passing standpoint.
Did you see how empty the grandstands were? It looked half full. I wonder if it was a night race would attendance would of been better? I agree that if it was a night race it would not of been as good a race.

wdwfan4ver

Did you see how empty the grandstands were? It looked half full. I wonder if it was a night race would attendance would of been better? I agree that if it was a night race it would not of been as good a race.
I saw how empty they were, but I don't think it would matter as much if was a night race. This year, the Spring Richmond race is back being a night time race after being daytime race last year. The problem is making the spring Richmond race back as a night race didn't help attendance at all.

The other thing is Chicagoland was due to have rain later and it is possible that the race wasn't going to be a night race as a result.

NASCAR did a gamble with the heat that I'm bit surprised they took after what happened to the Milwaukee Mile back in the 1990s and early 2000s and what happened during the first ever Chicagoland race weekend for NASCAR. Milwaukee Mile had some extremely hot races in late June/early July before adding lights for the trucks and the Busch series. The first Chicagoland race weekend was extremely hot and it was around 100 degrees in 2001.

wdwfan4ver

And again Jimmie Johnson finishes way off the pace. Panic must be setting in at HMS?
There is panic, but I think it is more of an organization problem. When Alex Bowman is the best finisher in 10th place at Chicagoland, there is a problem with the organization. I think their 1.5 mile track program is off based on how Chase Elliott has been performing at 1.5 mile tracks this year.

I also do thing there is a problem with Chevy although Kyle Larson is the only bright spot for Chevy outside of plate tracks.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

wdwfan4ver

NASCAR announced the length of the Charlotte Roval race will not be 500 Kilometers, but only 400 Kilometers. That means the roval only will be 109 laps.

Spencer Gallagher has been cleared by NASCAR to race again after completing the road to recovery program.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

It was announced by International Speedway Corp. that saw a decline in attendance by 10 percent for its six NASCAR Cup Series races from March through May.

The president of the company blamed that on lack of star power on the cup side and said the attendance was a little bit softer than expected.

wdwfan4ver

My take is the president of International Speedway Corp. should be blame the people of NASCAR for Star power. I know a bunch talent left, but NASCAR did a bad job of marketing veterans such as Martin Truex Jr., and Clint Bowyer. This year NASCAR only focused on marketing the younger drivers.

Clint Bowyer has a personality despite NASCAR being scarred of it. NASCAR thinks if they market Clint, it would portray NASCAR an image that don't want want.

The problem is some of the young drivers were overrated as prospects, being on bad/average organizations, or they are rushed.

I think the President of International Speedyway Corp. was spoiled by how well Tony Stewart, Dale Jr, Matt Kenseth, Kevin Harvick, Ryan Newman, Jimmie Johnson, Kyle Busch, and Denny Hamlin were as rookies. What the president of ISC is getting is Joey Logano type drivers.

Joey Logano is a star driver, but he was it took him his 5 full year in cup to be a star driver.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom