2024 NASCAR

wdwfan4ver

Jeff Gordon gets into the HOF with 96% of votes. Who didn’t vote for Jeff Gordon?
I don't know, but that person needs their voting rights to be taken away. This is as bad as when David Pearson didn't get 100 percent of the votes for getting in the 2nd class.

There really isn't much of a reason for Jeff Gordon not get a 100 percent vote. The only argument against Jeff Gordon is he almost gave away cup championships in 1995, and 1997, and not having a championship in the chase format, but that is a weak argument for not voting him in.

I thought the chase actually gave wrong champions at times such as Tony Stewart's 2011 chase championship, and Jimmie Johnson's 2016 cup championship. Out of anything, the chase screwed Jeff Gordon out of 2 championships including the 2007 championships.

wdwfan4ver

I think had the wrong Car owners for this class. I thought Ralph Moody and John Holman needed to be inducted.

The problem I have with Penske, is he really didn't do much in NASCAR before he got back in NASCAR with Rusty Wallace. Roger is a Legendary car owner in Auto Racing, but his mark in Indycar starting in the 1970s. Roger tried NASCAR as a car owner in the 1970s with drivers such as Bobby Allison, Mark Donohue, and Dave Marcis, but he was more successful back in the 1990s, 2000s, and this decade.

The problem with Jack Roush is you are dealing with an Owner that made his name much later than Ralph Moody in NASCAR. Roush was a big name owner in NASCAR starting in the late 1980s aka 1989, but his peak as an own ended after Matt Kenseth left the organization.

I have no problem with Kulwicki at all. I think Davey Allison was overrated as a driver, but he was going to get inducted before now since he was on pace for a 40 to 50 cup win career. I thought Dale Jarrett and Ernie Irvan were more talented drivers.

I expect the top 3 voter getters that didn't get inducted to be in the 2020 class. I am referring to Buddy Baker, Hershel McGriff and Waddell Wilson. I am saying that because Stewart and maybe Carl Edwards I expect to be inducted in the same class.

The only problem with Carl Edwards is he retired way too soon as a driver and could hurt him with voters. Carl Edwards retiring was different than Stewart. Stewart in 2016 didn't have much left in the tank. Part of that was caused by Stewart's injuries in 2013 and the other part was the death of Kevin Ward Jr.

The truth is if Tony didn't retire after 2016, he was going the way of Dale Jarrett, Richard Petty, and Darrell Waltrip.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

I expect the top 3 voter getters that didn't get inducted to be in the 2020 class. I am referring to Buddy Baker, Hershel McGriff and Waddell Wilson. I am saying that because Stewart and maybe Carl Edwards I expect to be inducted in the same class.
I did some thinking, and I think it may not be the case. While Bobby Labonte was not one of the top 3 this year not in the Hall of fame based on votes, I think his time frame is opening up. Kulwicki and Gordon off the ballot opens leaves not a lot of cup champions left. Stewart, Bobby Labonte, and Bill Rexford are the only three retired cup champions not in the hall of Fame.

I think Carl Edwards would effect Buddy Baker of the top 3 in voters not in the Hall. Waddell Wilson was not a driver and I think they want non drivers to be part of the next class. I think voters want to vote him in.

Carl Edwards to me could affect Buddy Baker depending on the voters feel if Carl should be inducted in yet. The problem with Carl is he left plenty of wins on the table with his retirement with him being only 37 at the time he retired.

I also forgot about Greg Biffle since he retired in the same year as Edwards and Stewart. I am not sure about Biffle on the ballot next year. Biffle does not have a big chance for the 2020 Hall of fame class, but won't surprise me if he gets inducted in the early 2020s. Greg's reason for getting inducted comes from the Trucks series and what is know known as the Xfinity series since 19 cup wins alone isn't enough. I think what hurt Greg was his age in the cup series. Greg was 33 as a rookie in 2003 and that is pretty old compare to most cup rookies that started in the cup series in the 2000s.

There is two other things that did hurt Biffle besides age and I think it was play a factor for Hall of Fame voting. Greg was a step below a bunch of big name Roush drivers in his era. Greg was below Matt Kenseth, Mark Martin, Carl Edwards, and Kurt Busch from a cup talent level standpoint.

Greg also did not have a lot of cup wins that stood out. The wins that stood out for Greg was the two Darlington wins. Greg as a cup driver did not win any short track or road course races besides not winning the Brickyard 400, Daytona 500 and the Coca Cola 600.

wdwfan4ver

Jeff Gordon gets into the HOF with 96% of votes. Who didn’t vote for Jeff Gordon?
I found out Jim Utter didn't. His reason is because No one got 100 percent of Hall of Fame votes including Richard Petty.

I think his argument is flawed because the first few NASCAR Hall Fame Classes was extremely stacked. The problem is Jeff Gordon got on a ballot at a time that the ballot is much weaker than the first 2 classes were.

bjlc57

I grew up watching nascar.. Alan Kulwicki' garage was 3 miles from my house in Milwaukee.. I saw Mark Martin, and Rusty race in Milwaukee and in LaCrosse, were again.. we were right by Dick Trickle's garage. .I later called the races on the radio for the LaCrosse /West Salem track.. and today.. I am all but done with Nascar.. Nascar now puts on a worst show the Formula One. .and has about the same amount of Passing.. So I will watch 5 -6 races this year.. Both Daytona's , Talladega's and the two Bristol's .. why? who wants to watch a race with one guy leading over half the race.. ? who wants to watch a race were the cars now are "bullet proof" .. no one ever blows up an engine.. who wants to watch a race with no racing.. ? Charlotte is the worst ..you take the lead.. no one can catch you.. but all these same cookie cutter D shaped mile and a half tracks are the same. .no passing .. no fun.. and no chance of the guy in the lead dropping a valve.. Formula ONE Racing .. southern style.. and don't say.. well good go.. we don't need you.. guess what.. YOU DO NEED ME because others have already left and the sponsors ARE GOING WITH THEM.. want to watch the best race of the year.. its this Sunday .. the INDY 500.. because to quote Chris Economaci ..there will be more passing in the first 20 laps then you see at a FULL NASCAR RACE.. but 40 years ago.. the series in this statement were swapped.. How low has Nascar fallen..

wdwfan4ver

I grew up watching nascar.. Alan Kulwicki' garage was 3 miles from my house in Milwaukee.. I saw Mark Martin, and Rusty race in Milwaukee and in LaCrosse, were again.. we were right by **** Trickle's garage. .I later called the races on the radio for the LaCrosse /West Salem track.. and today.. I am all but done with Nascar.. Nascar now puts on a worst show the Formula One. .and has about the same amount of Passing.. So I will watch 5 -6 races this year.. Both Daytona's , Talladega's and the two Bristol's .. why? who wants to watch a race with one guy leading over half the race.. ? who wants to watch a race were the cars now are "bullet proof" .. no one ever blows up an engine.. who wants to watch a race with no racing.. ? Charlotte is the worst ..you take the lead.. no one can catch you.. but all these same cookie cutter D shaped mile and a half tracks are the same. .no passing .. no fun.. and no chance of the guy in the lead dropping a valve.. Formula ONE Racing .. southern style.. and don't say.. well good go.. we don't need you.. guess what.. YOU DO NEED ME because others have already left and the sponsors ARE GOING WITH THEM.. want to watch the best race of the year.. its this Sunday .. the INDY 500.. because to quote Chris Economaci ..there will be more passing in the first 20 laps then you see at a FULL NASCAR RACE.. but 40 years ago.. the series in this statement were swapped.. How low has Nascar fallen..
Some of the stuff you mentioned didn't happen in NASCAR. Mark Martin, Alan, Trickle, and Rusty Wallace all raced before they went to NASCAR. Back in the 1970s Mark Martin and Alan Kulwicki raced in ASA and Mark returned to ASA after his failed attempt in the cup series back in the earlier 1980s.

What you saw was lower league of stock car racing, but NASCAR didn't have any races any Wisconsin after the 1956 Road America race to the 1984 Busch series Milwaukee Mile race. Milwaukee Mile before 1984 had ASA and USAC races including USAC stock car racing.

While I have no memories of the 1970s, my dad went to races back in the 1970s at the Milwaukee Mile from a USAC standpoint. His job was stop pit road fires. He met famous people in auto racing in that era. My dad did not remember the Milwaukee Mile having NASCAR before 1984. I first saw NASCAR races at the Milwaukee Mile in the 1990s including Dale Jr. winning a race there.

The Milwaukee Mile before 1984 had ASA and USAC for sure. Rusty's roots in stock car racing was in USAC back in the 1970s. USAC used to have a stock car division before only having different sprint car series.

Here is some old USAC stock car information: https://www.thethirdturn.com/wiki/USAC_Stock_Car_Series

bjlc57

you are correct.. Milwaukee NEVER had a Nascar race.. but I followed nascar none the less. the supposition was, that there was a 'choice" between USAC and Nascar and Milwaukee chose USAC.. for one because it had affilation with indy cars back then.. There were three different races during State fair week.. and Milwaukee had the traditional "race after indy " for many years.. But when I moved to LaCrosse the track there is a nascar affiliate.

bjlc57

you are correct.. Milwaukee NEVER had a Nascar race.. but I followed nascar none the less. the supposition was, that there was a 'choice" between USAC and Nascar and Milwaukee chose USAC.. for one because it had affilation with indy cars back then.. There were three different races during State fair week.. and Milwaukee had the traditional "race after indy " for many years.. But when I moved to LaCrosse the track there is a nascar affiliate.
they had Busch series races but never a " cup race" ..

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So Kyle Busch won at Charlotte this past weekend, and M&Ms is still one of his big sponsors. That's very good.

Jimmie Johnson came in at #5. but I guess Lowe's won't be a major sponsor of his for next season. I realize business deals evolve and change from time to time, but I always thought of Lowes when I saw Jimmie Never gave it much thought before, the strong connection that some of us (as fans) have with some of the racing/sponsor teams. (Although I have heard before that supposedly NASCAR fans are loyal even to the sponsors, and may buy their products over other brands.)

wdwfan4ver

There is some bad news today. Former Indycar and NASCAR driver John Andretti announced his colon cancer has returned and it has spread to his liver:(. John is only 55 years old with a wife and does have a son.

John was an underrated talent in Auto Racing, John as a talent won in NASCAR, Sports CARS, and in USAC. John also almost won a National Hot Rod Association Top fuel race once. John did not get top rides at all, but he still won races.

Although John won races, he actually is a bigger winner in life. I never met John, but I've read for a very long time that he is nicest people you ever can meet in Auto Racing.

John's known for his charity work for a long time. He has raised millions and millions of dollars to charity.

Here is two example of his Charity:

The first example is John Andretti earlier in the decade spent 4 years of his life to get people who raced in the Indy car to sign a Indy called called stinger. Stinger was a yellow an Indy car painted in honor of the Marmon Wasp, which Ray Harroun drove to victory in the first Indy 500 in 1911. I know there were around 250 names on that Indycar including some Famous NASCAR names that raced in the Indy 500 including Bobby Allision, Cale Yarborough. Tony Stewart.

John did the Stinger project for the 100th Indy 500 and give the proceeds to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. The stinger at the time went for $1,034,000 and all of it went to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

The 2nd example is John being part of a group of people that holds a Charity event during Brickyard 400 weekend each year called Race for Riley. Race for Riley is a an event that benefits Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
There is some bad news today. Former Indycar and NASCAR driver John Andretti announced his colon cancer has returned and it has spread to his liver:(. John is only 55 years old with a wife and does have a son.

John was an underrated talent in Auto Racing, John as a talent won in NASCAR, Sports CARS, and in USAC. John also almost won a National Hot Rod Association Top fuel race once. John did not get top rides at all, but he still won races.

Although John won races, he actually is a bigger winner in life. I never met John, but I've read for a very long time that he is nicest people you ever can meet in Auto Racing.

John's known for his charity work for a long time. He has raised millions and millions of dollars to charity.

Here is two example of his Charity:

The first example is John Andretti earlier in the decade spent 4 years of his life to get people who raced in the Indy car to sign a Indy called called stinger. Stinger was a yellow an Indy car painted in honor of the Marmon Wasp, which Ray Harroun drove to victory in the first Indy 500 in 1911. I know there were around 250 names on that Indycar including some Famous NASCAR names that raced in the Indy 500 including Bobby Allision, Cale Yarborough. Tony Stewart.

John did the Stinger project for the 100th Indy 500 and give the proceeds to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. The stinger at the time went for $1,034,000 and all of it went to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

The 2nd example is John being part of a group of people that holds a Charity event during Brickyard 400 weekend each year called Race for Riley. Race for Riley is a an event that benefits Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health.

That is sad news about his health problems. And, I didn't know about his charity efforts on behalf of children, In the future, his legacy of helping others will live on.

wdwfan4ver

Jayski mentioned that NASCAR is considering All Star Restrictor plate package at some point later this year. NASCAR was happy with the All-star under the Restrictor plate package. The tracks mentioned in the past is the August Michigan race and Brickyard 400 for the cup series.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

There is some very exiting news for the NASCAR Xfinity series and the NASCAR truck series. Memphis Raceway General Manager wants Xfinity and truck series races at the track and has talked to NASCAR about it.

What makes this good news is Memphis used to have truck series and NASCAR xfinity races back when the Xfinity series was the Busch series and it is a short track. The race track still has its safer barriers.

The reason Memphis left the two series was due to the tracks former owners Dover Motorsports Inc. had money problems and decided to close down 3 race tracks including Memphis. Memphis raceway was sold and its current owners have been slowly bringing past racing organizations back to the race track.

What happened was the General Manager of the race track was able to bring a regional NASCAR series race to the track last year. The General Manager also knows that drivers and racefans want more additional short track races in NASCAR.

artvandelay

Jayski mentioned that NASCAR is considering All Star Restrictor plate package at some point later this year. NASCAR was happy with the All-star under the Restrictor plate package. The tracks mentioned in the past is the August Michigan race and Brickyard 400 for the cup series.

Both are good candidates.

wdwfan4ver

There is big news in NASCAR. The Trustee of bankrup BK racing is in negotiations to sell the team aka the assets and the charter to allow it to continue operating under different ownership.

I don't know who the trustee is talking to.

wdwfan4ver

2 pieces of news with the first being with Matt Kenseth.

More cup races were announced with Matt Kenseth being the driver of the 6 car.
Matt is racing at Kentucky, New Hampshire, 2nd Pocono race, Watkins Glen, Darlington, Brickyard 400. 2nd Dover Race, 2nd martinsville race, 2nd phoenix race, and homestead.

Roush also mentioned more races are being considered for Matt Kenseth this season. What is known is Matt will not be doing any restrictor place races this year. Bayne is going to race at Sonoma, Chicagoland, and Daytona. I'm assuming Bayne will be racing the fall Talladega race.

The 2nd news is NASCAR announced Super speedway changes. The rear spoiler got increased from 53 inches to 58 inches and the restrictor plate increased back to the way it was for the Daytona 500 at 56/64ths.

wdwfan4ver

This head scratching news. Kasey Kahne is getting a new crew chief. Joe Leonard is replacing Travis Mack.

I call this head scratching despite Kasey being 28th in points. The owner before this season straight thought his team wasn't going to win a win and this team needs to built up and is why I called it head scratching. Kasey was hired for trying to bring more sponsorship money to the time compare to what they had with Michael Mcdowell.

The 95 team last year with Michael Mcdowell finished 26th in points. This is single car team that has the new Chevy race car.

bjlc57

which to me says.. We don't care if you want more passing and better racing .. We are NASCAR and we are "perfect' and this is what you get and you should drink the kool aid and love it..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom